PDA

View Full Version : Feds to Restrict Volunteers at Disasters

angelatc
09-01-2007, 04:37 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070901/ap_on_re_us/disaster_ids;_ylt=AuFAvs3tCA1m6KbGdJUvOFpH2ocA

What a plan! The agency that was not even able to deliver basics like water to Katrina victims is going to make sure that nobody else can either.

PennCustom4RP
09-01-2007, 05:18 PM
While I can understand your feeling on this, having untrained persons in the disaster area is more of a hindrance than a help. The people on the inside of the disaster area can help their neighbors, clearing trees, etc. I know this is how we cleared the roads here after Rita. Certainly outside people can be of great support in the transportation of supplies, but then the problem lies with distribution, and the local govt has a problem coordinating this, and we know FEMA has no clue. The added people on scene adds to their chaos. Also think of the unknown number of people who could come onto a scene, while the 'official' disaster aid is trying to account for those that live there. What if one of these outside people goes missing...who would know to look for them?
Also remember unscrupulous few who will seek payoff, claiming they were injured 'helping' and the looters entering the area w/o identification.

A good idea would be for those interested in civilian aid following a disaster to attend a seminar or other training, get certified, hopefully this would come with an ID stating such...if there is such a program.

Personally I think the Natl Guard should come in immediately, as I feel this is their job, to guard the nation. La Natl Guard was in Iraq, we had to wait for the PA, OH, and WI Natl Guard to get here. Come in, get it done, move out...then the local has something to work with...hopefully.

Man from La Mancha
09-02-2007, 04:52 AM
While I can understand your feeling on this, having untrained persons in the disaster area is more of a hindrance than a help. The people on the inside of the disaster area can help their neighbors, clearing trees, etc. I know this is how we cleared the roads here after Rita. Certainly outside people can be of great support in the transportation of supplies, but then the problem lies with distribution, and the local govt has a problem coordinating this, and we know FEMA has no clue. The added people on scene adds to their chaos. Also think of the unknown number of people who could come onto a scene, while the 'official' disaster aid is trying to account for those that live there. What if one of these outside people goes missing...who would know to look for them?
Also remember unscrupulous few who will seek payoff, claiming they were injured 'helping' and the looters entering the area w/o identification.

A good idea would be for those interested in civilian aid following a disaster to attend a seminar or other training, get certified, hopefully this would come with an ID stating such...if there is such a program.

Personally I think the Natl Guard should come in immediately, as I feel this is their job, to guard the nation. La Natl Guard was in Iraq, we had to wait for the PA, OH, and WI Natl Guard to get here. Come in, get it done, move out...then the local has something to work with...hopefully.Totality disagree, I saw that ,any people volunteered with boats and such to help were turned away from helping at Katrina. For 100 years people helped out there is no excuse for turning away help. if FEMa has 100 boats but volunteers have 1000 is it logical to tun them away?? The national guard is in stupid wars, they can't help.

angelatc
09-02-2007, 06:10 AM
I think the self-important professionals are more of hinderance than the volunteers when no specialized equipment in necessary.

And I think the "somebody might pretend to get hurt!" is kind of pathetic.

Man from La Mancha
09-02-2007, 07:49 AM
I think the self-important professionals are more of hinderance than the volunteers when no specialized equipment in necessary.

And I think the "somebody might pretend to get hurt!" is kind of pathetic.

EXACTLY!!!