PDA

View Full Version : Barry Goldwater, Jr. Probably Vote McCain, Still Likes Paul

0zzy
08-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Barry Goldwater Jr. isn't shy when it comes to giving an honest opinion.

Like many, after eight years of the Bush administration he's ready for a change.

A former Republican congressman from California and the son of one of the most prominent exponents of conservatism, he doesn't think much of Barack Obama.

Yet he isn't overly enthusiastic about John McCain either.

Sitting down with The Sun after a speech given at Tuesday's Yuma County Republican Central Committee meeting, he predicted McCain will win the White House but that the Democrats will dominate both houses of Congress.

"'Change, it's time for change,' I mean how can anybody disagree after eight years of Bush? That's one of the problems I have about Obama. He looks good, he smells good and he's like a fresh flower, but we don't know anything about the man and the people don't either. And I think this is why McCain is gonna probably win."

Yet Goldwater, who endorsed Ron Paul's candidacy during the primaries, doesn't think McCain measures up to conservatism as exemplified by his father, Barry M. Goldwater, a former senator from Arizona who ran against Democrat Lyndon B. Johnson in the 1964 presidential campaign.

"I think McCain is predominantly a conservative. But he's able to conveniently modify his positions and he calls it maverick or reaching over to the other side. I'm a purist. I wanna know if you're gonna be here today you're gonna be here tomorrow. Maybe that's not smart politics but that's honest.

"I think my father's a lot more honest about his political philosophy than McCain is."

McCain's campaign headquarters issued the following statement in response to Goldwater's assessment:

"John McCain greatly respects Barry Goldwater, a conservative icon and one of Arizona's great public servants. Throughout his career, John McCain has been known as conservative who has been willing and able to reach across the aisle to solve the problems facing our nation."

Yet it's the consistency that Goldwater feels McCain lacks that he says draws him to Paul. "I like Ron Paul because he has a message that's consistent. It's the same today that he was yesterday."

He even says Paul's book, "The Revolution: A Manifesto," reminds him "a lot about my father's book, 'Conscience of a Conservative.'"

Nonetheless, Goldwater says, "I will vote for McCain and I'll probably work for him." He also has some advice for the presidential candidate.

"What I hope to see is an honest discussion of issues, and I hope not to see a lot of mudslinging and dirty campaigning. That's maybe hoping for too much. But it would be nice to have an honest discussion of issues."

Among the issues he would like to see discussed are security, and more specifically, immigration. "I mean, nobody talks about immigration. Have you heard anybody talk about immigration? Hello? That was a big issue a couple of months ago."

He also thinks the economy has huge potential to affect the course of the election.

"Anytime the economy is in trouble, the party in power gets spanked. By November (if) things are getting much worse, Republicans are really gonna take a spanking. I mean, people talk about a bad economy but it ain't that bad yet. It's gonna get worse."

Goldwater lives in Phoenix with his wife, Sylvia, and near his son, Barry M. Goldwater III. He will introduce Paul at a political rally Tuesday in the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minn.

Source (http://www.yumasun.com/news/sort_43984___article.html/barry_victory.html)

Highlights:
+Barry Goldwater Jr predicts McCain will win
+Goldwater thinks because Obama is new, people won't vote for him
+Goldwater doesn't find McCain consistent, so he isn't enthusiastic about him
+Goldwater state Paul is very consistent and similar to his father
+He doesn't like mudslinging politics
+He will probably vote for McCain and work for him in the end

I wouldn't agree with him, but, I respect his opinion. Can't change a Republican who has been one since the dawn of time.

gls
08-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Yes, but will he allow his name to be used in Louisiana?

http://www.paulgoldwater.com/paulgoldwater1.jpg

torchbearer
08-27-2008, 09:52 PM

http://www.paulgoldwater2008.com/paulgoldwater1.jpg

Good question, would he object?
If he said nothing, it would stick.
If he complained to the SOS office, they may take him off the ticket.
We'd have to substitute someone else on the ballot.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
08-27-2008, 10:12 PM
We'd have to substitute someone else on the ballot.Kucinich:cool:

TXcarlosTX
08-28-2008, 12:02 AM

http://www.paulgoldwater.com/paulgoldwater1.jpg

i just put this banner on as my default on mymyspace page!!!

hard!!!

www.myspace.com/ccustomh

hit me up with some friend request vatos

Knightskye
08-28-2008, 12:23 AM
I can sort of understand voting for him, but how can you work for McCain? He should take a stand and vote third party.

sophocles07
08-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Throughout his career, John McCain has been known as conservative who has been willing and able to reach across the aisle to solve the problems facing our nation."

*vomit