PDA

View Full Version : Spreading the Ron Paul/Golwater Jr. Ticket to Other States(?)

Lovecraftian4Paul
08-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering what my fellow RPF denizens think about the idea of trying to spread the Ron Paul/Barry Goldwater Jr. ticket that's likely to appear in Louisiana to other states? The folks in Louisiana are able to do this because, like West Virginia (with the Bloomberg/Paul ticket), it's a state that doesn't require candidates to approve their name being on the ballot. If we want this ticket to expand outside Louisiana, we should identify other states that have this loophole for candidates, still have their deadlines open, and preferably do not cost very much in filing fees or signatures.

I'm sure there are a few others out there besides Louisiana where the candidate doesn't have to approve his/her name...

Ninja Homer
08-27-2008, 01:03 AM
I think Minnesota may be one of these states. Paul/Ventura would do better than Paul/Goldwater in MN. If Ventura agreed to it, it could probably make a pretty big impact without any advertising at all... there would be some earned media time.

Lovecraftian4Paul
08-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm 99% sure Ventura would agree to it. He isn't running for anything currently, and hates the two parties enough to not have anything to lose. So, maybe we'll see some petitions circulated at the Rally for the Republic?

We only need 2,000 signatures in MN to make this happen.

kirkblitz
08-27-2008, 07:39 PM
get them this weekend then :D

Sandra
08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm 99% sure Ventura would agree to it. He isn't running for anything currently, and hates the two parties enough to not have anything to lose. So, maybe we'll see some petitions circulated at the Rally for the Republic?

We only need 2,000 signatures in MN to make this happen.

Set up a table outside the Rally and get registered voters from Minn to sign. I do hope they are saving some tickets for locals.

Is signatures all that you need?

torchbearer
08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Set up a table outside the Rally and get registered voters from Minn to sign. I do hope they are saving some tickets for locals.

Is signatures all that you need?

They will probably need to be voters from MN.

Kludge
08-27-2008, 08:03 PM
What would be the purpose?

Sandra
08-27-2008, 08:05 PM
What would be the purpose?

Read OP.

Kludge
08-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Read OP.

I did, it only tries to justify their want even though Ron doesn't want to be on the ballot. It gives no purpose.

torchbearer
08-27-2008, 08:17 PM
I did, it only tries to justify their want even though Ron doesn't want to be on the ballot. It gives no purpose.

For those people who were going to write-in ron paul, it would now make their vote valid.
That would be its purpose.

Sandra
08-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Forget Kludge! Do it Lovecraftian4Paul! Get those signatures!!!

kathy88
08-27-2008, 08:19 PM
I see a definite purpose in giving people a choice in lieu of the 'lessor of two evils."

Think of the additional Campaign for Liberty exposure. RP got 16% in PA in the primaries, and people here are PISSED about their options, albeit too late.

If a Paul/Ventura ticket could pull 20% people would take serious notice, and the momentum would be spectacular.

If anyone knows the regulations in PA for this, I will spend every spare moment making this happen. I can raise an assload of money from the Patriots I know. They are mostly professionals who would love to donate to something this big.

Kludge
08-27-2008, 08:22 PM
For those people who were going to write-in ron paul, it would now make their vote valid.
That would be its purpose.

Okay, thanks. That's what I was asking for.

kathy88
08-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Crud, too late for PA.

What do you folks in the few states left with time before deadlines need?

gls
08-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Minnesota, Alabama, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin are the only other states the deadline hasn't passed.

Minnesota - 2000 signatures by 9/9/08
Rhode Island - 1000 signatures by 9/5/08
Alabama - 5000 signatures by 9/5/08
Wisconsin - 2,000 – 4,000 signatures by 9/2/08

http://www.directdemocracy.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=172

gls
08-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Minnesota might be possible. However, the signatures would have to come from registered voters within the state, so it's not as if the petition could just be passed around at the rally. Still, if 200 attendees (out of thousands) went out into the city and collected 10 signatures each, it very well could happen.

Isn't Minnesota one of the states where the GOP treated Ron Paul like dirt? IIRC correctly they wouldn't even let him into the convention hall to give a speech -- he had to do it outside. I'm sure he'd be just fine with being on the ballot there.

BuddyRey
08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Bump!!!

Micah Dardar
08-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Minnesota, if you can get organized, get this done. I think that Paul / Ventura would be better for you than our Paul / Goldwater in Louisiana. Minnesotans and Louisianians are known for being outspoken and political. Maybe it's time that we used our loud mouths to send a bullhorn to D.C.

Lovecraftian4Paul
08-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Hey everyone,

I just checked the MN Secretary of State's website. Just to confirm, a Paul/Goldwater or Paul/Ventura ticket in Minnesota IS possible. Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates from minor parties/independents do NOT need to file affidavits of candidacy or pay filing fees.

We only need 2,000 signatures to put Ron Paul on the ballot. I think we may need ten electors willing to step up and put themselves on the nominating petitions (in the unlikely case Paul/Goldwater//Paul/Ventura wins MN, like in Louisiana).

http://www.sos.state.mn.us/home/index.asp?page=899

Non-Major Political Party Candidates

Candidates of Minor Political Parties, other political parties, or Independents must file by Nominating Petition to get their name placed on the ballot. (M.S. §204B.07, subd. 2) Candidates must obtain 2,000 signatures of individuals who are eligible to vote for the candidate being nominated. (M.S. §204B.08) Candidates for President and Vice President of the United States do not need to file an Affidavit of Candidacy. (M.S. §204B.06, subd. 4) or pay a filing fee. (M.S. §204B.11, subd. 1). The Nominating Petition must be filed on or before September 9, 2008, which is State Primary Election Day. The first day signatures may be collected is July 1, 2008, which is the first day of the filing period. (M.S. §204B.08) “On petitions nominating presidential electors, the names of the candidates for president and vice-president shall be added to the political party or political principal stated on the petition. One petition may be filed to nominate a slate of presidential electors equal in number to the number of electors to which the state is entitled.” (M.S. §204B.07, subd. 2

There is a good .PDF file available at the link I gave that spells out the specifics of collecting signatures to put candidates on the ballot in Minnesota.

IMPORTANT: The Nominating Petitions for collecting signatures must be taken from the MN Secretary of State's office in person or requested via mail from there. There are specific formating requirements and even paper size requirements that seemingly prevents a person from just printing their own (or receiving it by Fax). If we want Ron Paul on in MN, we will have to bring sheets of these things to the Rally for the Republic, the after Rally Party, Liberty-related concerts, and other events starting up in the Twin Cities this weekend.

Only registered Minnesota voters may sign. I do not see anything about voters who have voted in a partisan primary being unable to sign the petitions.

I believe there will be enough legally registered MN voters at the Ron Paul related events this weekend and next week to get 2,000 signatures, plus another 1,000-2,000 as a cushion.

We have until the September 9th deadline.

Eric21ND
08-28-2008, 09:38 AM
I found this about North Dakota...remember this was one of Ron Paul's best states over 20% of the vote.

A Complete Filing Must Include

1. A Petition/Certificate of Nomination (SFN 2704) containing the signatures of 1,000 qualified North Dakota electors;
http://www.nd.gov/eforms/Doc/sfn02704.pdf

2. An Affidavit of Candidacy (SFN 2703);
http://www.nd.gov/eforms/Doc/sfn02703.pdf

3. A Statements of Interests (SFN 10172).
http://www.nd.gov/eforms/Doc/sfn10172.pdf

gls
08-28-2008, 09:47 AM
I found this about North Dakota...remember this was one of Ron Paul's best states over 20% of the vote.

A Complete Filing Must Include

1. A Petition/Certificate of Nomination (SFN 2704) containing the signatures of 1,000 qualified North Dakota electors;
http://www.nd.gov/eforms/Doc/sfn02704.pdf

2. An Affidavit of Candidacy (SFN 2703);
http://www.nd.gov/eforms/Doc/sfn02703.pdf

3. A Statements of Interests (SFN 10172).
http://www.nd.gov/eforms/Doc/sfn10172.pdf

Unfortunately I doubt either Paul or Goldwater Jr. would sign an affidavit of candidacy, so we're confined to states that don't require a candidates' formal consent.

Aratus
08-28-2008, 09:52 AM
good luck... anyway! one and all! for our democracy this is a ray of hope!

Eric21ND
08-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Unfortunately I doubt either Paul or Goldwater Jr. would sign an affidavit of candidacy, so we're confined to states that don't require a candidates' formal consent.
Yeah I just read through it now. I think Ventura would be the most likely to sign off on this more so than even Paul. It would be nice to give all those write-ins for him a nice home to go to instead of the trash.

Mahkato
08-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Interesting. A Paul/Ventura ticket would probably do decently. Paul got ~16% in the (non-binding) GOP presidential preference poll in the Super Tuesday caucus. I wonder having this on the ballot would do to the outcome in the general? Is this a good strategy in the long-term? What would it do to votes for Barr or Baldwin?

dannno
08-28-2008, 10:08 AM
At minimum I would like to spread the bumper stickers and signs around, but I don't know about the ticket.

Can you imagine if everybody had Ron Paul / Goldwater Jr. signs during the primaries!? Just "for fun" even though Goldwater might not run with him? I think that would have gotten a lot of attention, and I think it still will get a lot of people's attention.. "Ron Paul?? He's running with Goldwater?!?"

Then at least they find out he supports our guy.. and it's attention grabbing.

defe07
08-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey, what if we concentrate our resources on Louisiana and Minnesota to win them?

Mahkato
08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey, what if we concentrate our resources on Louisiana and Minnesota to win them?

Then D will concentrate its (much greater) resources on MN, and R will concentrate its (much greater) resources on LA.

Mostly, we need to stop worrying about a presidential ticket and start priming next cycle's candidates for lower offices, and the voters who will vote for them. The Walk For Freedom is one such way.

Lovecraftian4Paul
08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
I am trying to figure out if the petitions for putting Paul/Ventura or Paul/Goldwater on the ballot in MN require ten electors to be listed as well. Does anyone know based on this information?

http://www.sos.state.mn.us/home/index.asp?page=899

If so, we need ten people ASAP from MN who are willing to serve as electors for Ron Paul.

kombayn
08-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Well the Rally for the Republic will have 10,000 Ron Paul supporters plus the GOP Convention will be going on. It's quite easy to get the Ron Paul/Jesse Ventura ticket on in Minnesota. I think you guys could pull that off no problem. Plus, Paul/Ventura would do better than Paul/Goldwater Jr. and there is no way Ron Paul will become President this election. So, why not try to siphon off as many votes as possible in MN & LA. Is it still too late for Florida? You just have to be an organized party.

Imperial
08-28-2008, 06:02 PM
I am begrudgingly accepting this. Even though it trades off strongly with Barr and Baldwin, I think it may do more to raise the profile of liberty in general.

If this happens, I will get the word of the ticket to my family in Minnesota. They are strongly liberal, but back when he was possibly running for senate they had liked Ventura.

pbarnum
08-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Ventura?!? Good grief NO! Those of you outside of MN may think he's a quirky but interesting alternative. Those of us that lived with his "what's in it for ME" gig as our governor know he's just plain nuts. No consistent values or principle's guide him. He is the antithesis of Ron Paul. That he is on the agenda for the Rally turns my stomach. I'll be using the time he speaks to go to the bathroom and buy a hot dog.

Imperial
08-30-2008, 07:14 PM
At least Ventura is willing to look at problems and change his views. He thinks about why things happen.

Besides, its the VP slot. It is subsidiary. And, remember, the ticket cannot actually win.

Shotdown1027
08-30-2008, 07:25 PM
The best person to ask any questions about ballot access or ballot access forms is Richard Winger of Ballot Access News.
richardwinger@yahoo.com

Imperial
08-30-2008, 08:45 PM
At the moment all we really need are the petitions to get Ron Paul/Jesse Ventura at the Rally for the Republic. I don't live in MN and cannot attend it, but if we could get that we would be set. Then, it is just finding a few electors and a bit of paperwork as I understand it.

LibertyCola
08-30-2008, 09:00 PM
ANYONE BUT VENTURA! Ventura is a truther, and therefore a little alex jones sheep. "baaaaaaaa alex jones baaaaaaaaaaaaaa alex jones baaaaaaaaaa"

Andrew Ryan
08-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Don't talk shit about Ventura.

Imperial
08-30-2008, 09:18 PM
ANYONE BUT VENTURA! Ventura is a truther, and therefore a little alex jones sheep. "baaaaaaaa alex jones baaaaaaaaaaaaaa alex jones baaaaaaaaaa"

I am not really a truther and I don't like Alex Jones. But, isn't Ventura much better than the establishment? Besides that, who do you propose to replace Ventura that would grab more votes?

Shotdown1027
08-30-2008, 09:42 PM
I say this as a vehemently anti-truther, conservative...

Ventura is pro-Ron Paul and wants to be involved in our efforts, he'll accept his name on the paperwork too and he'll add a solid 5% to the ticket.

Make it happen.

Sandra
08-30-2008, 09:57 PM
do it!... Do it!....DO it!....DO It!...DO IT!... DO IT!....DO IT!....DO IT! :D