PDA

View Full Version : John McCain wants to abolish the Dept of Education?

aspiringconstitutionalist
08-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Gov. Deval Patrick is giving a speech at the DNCC right now, and said "John McCain wants to abolish the Department of Education!"

Wha???

Is this true???

08-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Hmm, looks like Deval Patrick lied.

I wouldn’t abolish it, but I would sure try to fix it. Choice and competition is the fundamental solution to our education problems.

Source: http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache:pXpMX4q8zI8J:d5.allthingsd.com/20070529/d5-mccain/+john+mccain+abolish+department+of+education&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

Too bad Patrick wasn't right...

RSLudlum
08-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Yeah probably,,,,Education is a national security issue you know...McCain probably believes the Dept. Of Edu. should be folded into DHS... :rolleyes:

qh4dotcom
08-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Whoa...now I am considering voting for him

Just kidding...this will be another flip-flop

James Madison
08-26-2008, 08:17 PM
I've never heard anything about this. Funny how all the liberals out there make it sound like a bad thing even though the school systems in America have been in steady decline since its conception.

08-26-2008, 08:21 PM
I've never heard anything about this. Funny how all the liberals out there make it sound like a bad thing even though the school systems in America have been in steady decline since its conception.

Yeah, I know!

It's so weird after being a part of the Ron Paul movement and being used to thunderous applause whenever things like "Privatize Social Security," "Abolish the Department of Education," "Stop subsidizing ethanol" & "Overturn Roe v. Wade" are said, and hearing the same things evoke boos and cries of disgust from the Democratic Convention crowd.

I keep expecting a cheer whenever a Democratic speaker says the phrase "so-and-so wants to do away with No Child Left Behind," only to hear hissing. It messes with your mind. Ha.

TastyWheat
08-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Even if it was true the GOP has talked about repealing Roe v. Wade since forever and they didn't do it when they had the majority.

Akus
08-26-2008, 09:48 PM
OH my GAWD!!!
Front page news!!!

Some politician lied.... Stop the press!!!!

ChickenHawk
08-26-2008, 09:51 PM
I suspect he does want to get rid of the Department Of Education, but I doubt he would admit it. Getting rid of it was a big part of the GOP platform before it became too unpopular. Since the GOP is actually a party that wins elections from time to time they can't always come out foaming at the mouth about all the things they want to do and expect to continue to win. The Libertarians and other "minor" parties are not burdened with that "problem".

I'm stiil not voting for McCain though.

08-26-2008, 09:53 PM
I suspect he does want to get rid of the Department Of Education, but I doubt he would admit it. Getting rid of it was a big part of the GOP platform before it became too unpopular. Since the GOP is actually a party that wins elections from time to time they can't always come out foaming at the mouth about all the things they want to do and expect to continue to win. The Libertarians and other "minor" parties are not burdened with that "problem".

Hence the difference between "downplaying" and "deceiving."

Kap
08-26-2008, 10:10 PM

The problem with the Department of Education now is the sole fact Bush doubled the size of it and signed No Child Left Behind into law. Now all of your children are required to undergo standardized testing at the taxypayer's expense. (If you decide, as a parent, your child not take the test then the entire school's test scores can suffer.)

It gets better though, the not even the teacher unions won't fight to remove the bill (nor will Obama) only to "change" it.

It completely bypasses the 10th Amendment by refusing to pay states federal money if they do not follow No Child Left Behind. States don't have to follow NCLB, but states strapped for educational funds do it. Yet the law costs millions of taxypayer dollars to test students every year. (Which is bitterly ironic because public schools fail by the way they are funded (by property tax) and our monetary "system").

States have tried to sue to get the funding they were promised by Bush but were blocked by the US District Courts.

No worries though, under the law, by 2014 all students will be performing at grade level regardless of ability, effort, or funding or they are all considered failing schools.

ChickenHawk
08-26-2008, 10:23 PM
The problem with the Department of Education now is the sole fact Bush doubled the size of it and signed No Child Left Behind into law. Now all of your children are required to undergo standardized testing at the taxypayer's expense. (If you decide, as a parent, your child not take the test then the entire school's test scores can suffer.)

It gets better though, the not even the teacher unions won't fight to remove the bill (nor will Obama) only to "change" it.

It completely bypasses the 10th Amendment by refusing to pay states federal money if they do not follow No Child Left Behind. States don't have to follow NCLB, but states strapped for educational funds do it. Yet the law costs millions of taxypayer dollars to test students every year. (Which is bitterly ironic because public schools fail by the way they are funded (by property tax) and our monetary "system").

States have tried to sue to get the funding they were promised by Bush but were blocked by the US District Courts.

No worries though, under the law, by 2014 all students will be performing at grade level regardless of ability, effort, or funding or they are all considered failing schools.

A government bureau is the closest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth.

-Ronald Reagan

devil21
08-27-2008, 02:32 AM
So now the Dems are flip-flopping McCain on his behalf. How cute.