PDA

View Full Version : The draft!

Cinderella
08-26-2008, 05:22 PM
i thought maybe we could post ways on how to avoid the draft....any thoughts? ive heard of the 13th amendment...but after looking a little deeper i realize the 13th amendment doesnt protect us

The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution officially abolished and continues to prohibit slavery, and with limited exceptions, such as those convicted of a crime, prohibits involuntary servitude. It was adopted on December 6, 1865.

***so what is involuntary servitude???

Involuntary servitude
Refers to a person held by actual force, threats of force, or threats of legal coercion in a condition of slavery – compulsory service or labor against his or her will. This also includes the condition in which people are compelled to work against their will by a "climate of fear" evoked by the use of force, the threat of force, or the threat of legal coercion (i.e., suffer legal consequences unless compliant with demands made upon them) which is sufficient to compel service against a person's will. The first U.S. Supreme Court case to uphold the ban against involuntary servitude was Bailey v. Alabama (1911).

In Butler v. Perry, 240 U.S. 328 (1916), the Supreme Court ruled that the military draft was not "involuntary servitude".

Zippyjuan
08-26-2008, 05:49 PM
There is no draft to avoid right now- unless you left the door open.

Cinderella
08-26-2008, 06:00 PM
im just thinking worst case scenarios....lately ive been having a lot of gut instinct feelings about it...and me being a health worker and only 26 theyd draft me....i could be a little paranoid but with everything thats going on how can u not think its possible?

RSLudlum
08-26-2008, 06:20 PM
I've heard things about not stepping forward and/or not raising your right hand when getting sworn in...the idea here is that by stepping forrward you are 'volunteering', if you don't step forward, you are declining.

TastyWheat
08-26-2008, 06:21 PM
In Butler v. Perry, 240 U.S. 328 (1916), the Supreme Court ruled that the military draft was not "involuntary servitude".
Total bullshit. The founders never would've agreed to that. Any just war should garnish enough enlistments by those wishing to protect their country.

Alaxsxaq
08-26-2008, 07:47 PM
You can refuse to take up arms as a conscientious objector. Be prepared to spend some time in prison or alternative service. You'll help your cause if you plan in advance and join a pacifist group like the Mennonites or Quakers. It isn't necessary to go that far, of course.

From Wikipedia:

Currently, the U.S. Selective Service System states, "Beliefs which qualify a registrant for conscientious objector status may be religious in nature, but don't have to be. Beliefs may be moral or ethical; however, a man's reasons for not wanting to participate in a war must not be based on politics, expediency, or self-interest. In general, the man's lifestyle prior to making his claim must reflect his current claims."

priest_of_syrinx
08-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Total bullshit. The founders never would've agreed to that. Any just war should garnish enough enlistments by those wishing to protect their country.

This is exactly my view on it. If the nation is in danger, I'll step up to protect it.

James Madison
08-26-2008, 08:22 PM

+1

James Madison
08-26-2008, 08:23 PM

The SC also ruled multiple times that an income tax was unconstitutional, but we still have it, don't we?

The_Orlonater
08-26-2008, 08:32 PM
The SC also ruled multiple times that an income tax was unconstitutional, but we still have it, don't we?

Yeah. :(

Zippyjuan
08-26-2008, 08:54 PM
At 26 you will be fairly far down the list. They will start with 18- 19 year olds first.

Edit. Actually, looks like you are clear at age 26. And they start with 20 year olds. According to Wiki:

The Lottery: A lottery based on birthdays determines the order in which registered men are called up by Selective Service. The first to be called, in a sequence determined by the lottery, will be men whose 20th birthday falls during the calendar year the induction takes place, followed, if needed, by those aged 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 19 and 18.5 year olds (in that order).

Standing Like A Rock
08-26-2008, 09:04 PM
hell, if i were drafted, i would love to fight, lol

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
08-27-2008, 04:06 AM

THE PEOPLE'S militia is supposed to keep our nation's military aristocracy in check. We are born into the militia as Americans while we join, get drafted, and/or are appointed by Congress as officers into the military aristocracy.

I often tell my sons that they can join the army but that they were born into the American militia at birth. So, we always think of ourselves as soldiers regarless.

FreeMo P48
08-27-2008, 04:15 AM
If one is forced or coerced to volunteer, one is a slave. Slaves do not make for effective defenders of freedom!

"Beware tho illusion of freedom.
Beware the freedom of illusion."

noxagol
08-27-2008, 05:40 AM
At 26 you will be fairly far down the list. They will start with 18- 19 year olds first.

Edit. Actually, looks like you are clear at age 26. And they start with 20 year olds. According to Wiki:

That is just how they made it work in the past. There is nothing stopping them from making it any way they want. They could easily decide to not allow student differals.The only thing they can't do is draft elected official per the Constitution.