PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feed their dog REAL food?

berrybunches
08-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Dog health freedom!?
I don't know where to put this thread. :D

I was curious if anyone fed their dogs or cats real food?
I feed my dog 12 ounces of raw beef a day and 3 raw bones a week, I have been doing it for over a year and her health has greatly improved, she does not beg for food much anymore, has more energy and she is just happier.

A week after I started this was when all those dog food problems arose that caused dogs to die - was lucky timing.

Dog food companies fund and run all the veterinarian schools and teach that dog food is needed when it is not. I was scared to try raw food on my dog at first but am glad I did. Dog food is a total scam and its disgusting.

Anyone here familiar with the subject? I just can not imagine now feeding my dog little hard balls of nasty fillers and waste after I actually sat down and thought about it/researched it. Its unnatural and dangerous just like prepackaged human food is.

Thoughts?

New York For Paul
08-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Even left over cooked meat with bones are good. The bones keep their teeth clean.

LibertyEagle
08-26-2008, 05:53 AM
Talk to MsD about this. She's a big proponent of doing this.

LittleLightShining
08-26-2008, 05:58 AM
Even left over cooked meat with bones are good. The bones keep their teeth clean.My vet is a big proponent of raw food. We don't feed ours any (yet) but from what I understand you should never feed dogs cooked bones of any kind, but especially pork and chicken bones. Apparently the structure changes from the heat and causes the bones to splinter which can cause internal injury.

Jochebed
08-26-2008, 06:59 AM
My first post, but an important topic to me...

PLEASE consult a veterinarian before feeding a raw diet.

Yes, it's true that most veterinarians are NOT proponents of raw diets, because to do it RIGHT is a LOT of work. You're right that there are issues with premade dog food, but not all of them are crap. And veterinarians, for the most part, recommend packaged foods because they have undergone food trials and are required to meet certain levels of nutrients (although those are pretty flimsy rules, they're rules nontheless). Packaged diets are also "balanced bite-for-bite" which means that every bite of food that your pet takes (or every meal) will be contain all the same nutrients in all the same ratios. For the OP, if all you're feeding is raw beef and a few raw bones a week I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt that you are feeding your dog a balanced diet and your dog is likely going to be facing dangerous nutritional deficits.

Nutritional problems are especially insidious because they don't present right away. If you are a little off one week but correct the next, you'll be fine (which is true for most humans' diets). But if you're off week after week after week...it can still take a months (!) to show that your dog is deficient in one area or another.

And DON'T feed cooked bones of ANY kind - they are very likely to splinter and you'll either be spending a lot of money at the vet to fix your dog...or euthanizing.

amy31416
08-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Benefits of having a dog:

1. She eats all the gross parts of the chicken that I won't eat: organs, skin, fat, gristle, etc. (But I always cook them for her.)

2. She's an excellent pre-wash for the dishes prior to going into the dishwasher. And no, I don't think that's gross, think of all the water I save not rinsing!

3. Have some lunch meat or leftovers that you're sick of and won't eat before they go bad? My dog just can't get sick of that stuff--at least it won't go to waste.

4. Get a little out of control during the stir-fry and there's moo goo all over the floor? Senorita puppykins is glad to help with the clean-up.

Other than that, just water and regular dry dog-food. The only time I've ever fed her a special diet is when she had diarrhea when I first got her (stress-induced) and Hill's Science Diet cleared it right up (sensitive stomach formulation.) Now I just feed her cheap stuff. Let's face it, even expensive dog food is made out of the scraps of human food, why wouldn't I feed her my leftovers?

Isaac Bickerstaff
08-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Given the choice between real food and dog food, most dogs will choose the real food.
Try to supplement the diet with yogurt. The live cultures will aid the dog's digestion, and the dairy is a complete food in itself. Also, minerals are very important. Here is a link to a company in Minneapolis that has a great mineral formula.

www.rescueanimalproducts.com

Jochebed
08-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Given the choice between real food and dog food, most dogs will choose the real food.

Yes, but given the choice between McDonald's french fries and a salad, most kids will pick the french fries. Doesn't mean it's the best or most balanced health choice. Same thing with homemade or packaged raw diets. Just because it's what your dog "wants" to eat doesn't mean it's the most healthy or balanced choice.

With the recent push for "natural" or "raw" or "homemade" diets has come an increase in the number of animals with nutrient imbalances as well. You NEED do your research and you NEED to work in concert with a veterinarian.

LibertyEagle
08-26-2008, 09:13 AM
MsD feeds raw meat and bones, PLUS she grinds up a ton of vegetables for them.

Dieseler
08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
I can't give my dog bones or rawhide or anything normally indestructible to normal dogs. I gave her a ham bone once and came back to pile of bloody bone pieces only moments later. She loves them but she will not stop until she destroys whatever it is we give her. We decided its not a good idea to give her anything like that because she fully intends to swallow whatever it is you give her just as soon as she breaks it into a size she can swallow and that can lead to serious digestive tract problems.
It makes me wonder if this dog could survive unsupervised in a natural environment very long with eating habits like that. I don't think she would make it.
:confused:

SnappleLlama
08-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I feed my dachshunds regular dry dog food, and give them baby carrots and/or cans of mixed vegetables as treats (they practically inhale those veggies!). Good puppies!!

Isaac Bickerstaff
08-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Yes, but given the choice between McDonald's french fries and a salad, most kids will pick the french fries. Doesn't mean it's the best or most balanced health choice. Same thing with homemade or packaged raw diets. Just because it's what your dog "wants" to eat doesn't mean it's the most healthy or balanced choice.

I am afraid comparing children and dogs is a little off. Children have marketing and peer pressure telling them what they like. Dogs have instincts. It is dogs' job to figure out what is good for them, and they are remarkably good at it. Dogs in the wild do not eat corn, rice, barley, potato chip waste, etc. and do just fine on nothing but raw meat.

The malnutrition that would occur when feeding domestic dogs raw meat stems from the mineral deficiencies in the feedlot animals that provide the meat--as well as the organ damage from eating corn that inhibits the animal from building essential fatty acids. If the meat producing animals have access to all the proper nutrition, then their meat should be healthful as food. (Something to consider when shopping for human food as well as pet food).

Dr.3D
08-26-2008, 11:44 AM
I can't give my dog bones or rawhide or anything normally indestructible to normal dogs.

My two Dobermans each get two rawhide bones per day and have been getting them for the past four years. They eat them in around fifteen minutes and they have never had any kind of problems.

rp4prez
08-26-2008, 12:19 PM
My sister has been feeding her greyhound "human food" for quite sometime now. Mainly pasta, chicken, and greens. Ever since she's moved off of bagged dog food her dog is totally different in a very good way! :)

LittleLightShining
08-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Some packaged foods are better than others and honestly, like Amy said, I think the cheaper foods are just as good in many ways.

I have stopped buying Beneful (not that it's some great quality brand to begin with) because my dog acts crazy after she eats it-- very restless and disobedient, abnormally thirsty... stuff like that.

Jochebed
08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
I am afraid comparing children and dogs is a little off. Children have marketing and peer pressure telling them what they like. Dogs have instincts. It is dogs' job to figure out what is good for them, and they are remarkably good at it. Dogs in the wild do not eat corn, rice, barley, potato chip waste, etc. and do just fine on nothing but raw meat.

The malnutrition that would occur when feeding domestic dogs raw meat stems from the mineral deficiencies in the feedlot animals that provide the meat--as well as the organ damage from eating corn that inhibits the animal from building essential fatty acids. If the meat producing animals have access to all the proper nutrition, then their meat should be healthful as food. (Something to consider when shopping for human food as well as pet food).

My dog doesn't have marketing, but I imagine he'd go for the french fries first too, rather than the dog food.

Your dog, however, is not in the wild. Nor have any of its ancestors for hundreds or hundreds of years been in the wild. I don't understand why raw food proponents want to go back to what's "natural" as far as feeding is concerned...and then still take their dog to the vet, let it live in their house, place a collar on it, teach it tricks, etc. None of those things are NATURAL...and yet you'd be neglectful if you skipped many of those things.

And if you're going for "natural"...why are you feeding chicken, turkey, beef, etc. from the supermarket? Even if it's grass-raised that's still hardly "natural".

I'm not saying people SHOULDN'T do it...they just need to check their reasons and their knowledge. Decide on a SET raw food diet (or 2 or 3 varieties that you want to rotate), make a large batch, take it to your vet and get it sent to the lab. Have it tested. See what nutrients are there and at what levels and see if it is a good fit for your dog and its lifestyle, activity, breed, age, sex, etc. Don't just read online that something's "natural" and start giving your dog chicken instead of a commercial diet. You love your pet after all, it's worth it to take the time to do it right.

MsDoodahs
08-26-2008, 01:23 PM
My dogs have been on a sort of BARF diet for about 4 years now.

I feed them raw chicken necks a few times a week. Sometimes they get raw turkey necks (but the rottie does not seem to like those as much).

A few times a week, I feed them raw boneless pork trimmings, and raw beef shanks with the bone in. The girls dig the marrow out and chow down on that, then they gnaw on the bones for a while...

I feed a mix of raw ground beef and finely chopped mixed veggies every now and then.

A few times a week, they get canned salmon/canned mackeral/canned sardines with finely chopped mixed veggies. In that mix, I add some Dinovite.

The vet wants me to add glucosimine/chondroitin to their routine, as the dogs are 12 now and the rottie seems to have some aging joint issues. I've not started them on it as of yet.

The rottie currently has some kind of problem with her left front leg. We've looked for a bite wound (she WILL go after any kind of snake that she comes across). We couldn't see any sign of a bite, neither did the vet.

The vet gave me 5 days of an NSAID, and said that if it does not clear in the next 3 - 5 days, we will need xrays.

Oh, and the vet got on me for overfeeding (June has gained about 20lbs in the past 3 years), he said to cut down the amount I'm giving them and up their veggie intake...

LE is relentlessly kidding me about having ... porker puppies... :D

Isaac Bickerstaff
08-26-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't understand why raw food proponents want to go back to what's "natural" as far as feeding is concerned...

In many cases, we have noticed that the manufactured food is contributing to health problems. We are studying from nature, a system that has, and continues to work unassisted by man. We recognize the arrogance in believing that man has a complete understanding of the many biological functions that make up a healthy being. We also understand that modern domesticated life is not "natural" for our pets, however when we study the natural processes, we try to learn the most comprehensive ways to help our pets adapt.

I can very much agree with your points about being careful with a people food diet, however I apparently still harbor more distrust for manufactured food than you do.

Jochebed
08-26-2008, 01:54 PM
I can very much agree with your points about being careful with a people food diet, however I apparently still harbor more distrust for manufactured food than you do.

I distrust quite a bit of manufactured food, actually, but I tend to mistrust over eager and under educated pet owners far more. All it takes is 15 minutes for someone online to read about all the glories of "raw" food and no veterinarian in the world can talk them out of it. Clients barely manage to follow directions on a pill bottle for 14 days and modify treatment plans ALL THE TIME. I have no faith in just telling the whole public that "raw food is the best" and then leave them to manage their dog's nutrition independently for the duration of their dog's life. It's a scary situation and dogs can and DO get hurt.

Not to mention the human health risks. Salmonella is NOT a natural component of canine gut flora. Feeding your dog raw chicken introduces that and while dogs typically do not get sick from salmonella, they can pass it in their feces and now you have a human health risk.

You're right that there's a lot wrong with the manufactured dog food industry, but there is EQUAL OR MORE RISK in the current uneducation and miseducation the predominates the raw food movement. It puts both dogs and humans at risk.

berrybunches
08-26-2008, 02:17 PM
My first post, but an important topic to me...

PLEASE consult a veterinarian before feeding a raw diet.

Yes, it's true that most veterinarians are NOT proponents of raw diets, because to do it RIGHT is a LOT of work. You're right that there are issues with premade dog food, but not all of them are crap. And veterinarians, for the most part, recommend packaged foods because they have undergone food trials and are required to meet certain levels of nutrients (although those are pretty flimsy rules, they're rules nontheless). Packaged diets are also "balanced bite-for-bite" which means that every bite of food that your pet takes (or every meal) will be contain all the same nutrients in all the same ratios. For the OP, if all you're feeding is raw beef and a few raw bones a week I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt that you are feeding your dog a balanced diet and your dog is likely going to be facing dangerous nutritional deficits.

Nutritional problems are especially insidious because they don't present right away. If you are a little off one week but correct the next, you'll be fine (which is true for most humans' diets). But if you're off week after week after week...it can still take a months (!) to show that your dog is deficient in one area or another.

And DON'T feed cooked bones of ANY kind - they are very likely to splinter and you'll either be spending a lot of money at the vet to fix your dog...or euthanizing.

I want to clear some thing up. I feed her other things also for variety, she gets pork on occasion and I also will cook her chicken sometime (she won't eat raw chicken) I also feed some table scraps and give her homemade treats once in awhile.
It IS more work. I spent about a month researching it every day before I started doing it. I certainly do not suggest jumping into it.
As far as balanced diets go every dog is different just like every person is different. A pit bull and a miniature pincher with varying energy and activity levels levels need different things - also just naturally all dogs are different. I did trial and error with my dog until I found out what she liked to eat, how much kept her weight steady and I paid attention to her poop to make sure it was solid.

As for it being natural - dogs digestive systems in the wild compared to dogs digestive systems that have been domesticated are the same. Dog food is a very new idea, only in the last 50 years or so has it been commonplace so dogs, even in captivity, have been eating raw and cooked diets for most of the time.
Their digestive system did not change or evolve in 50 years.
For instance, compare our digestive system with wild tribal people, they are the same. I want to say its not natural for humans to go to the doctor but it makes us live longer. It is natural for us to eat organic and raw foods (salads, fruits) these also make us live longer. We can improve on systems but whats good for us never changes.

If people do not want to do this feeding better made dog food is a good idea.
Almost every name brand is crap no matter how well it is marketed. Beneful is one of the worst for pretending to be top quality while being crap. (I always compare good marketing to how Budweiser calls itself the King of Beers and gets away with it :rolleyes: )
Look online for good brands and look for reviews. You can even make your own kibble that will last a long time.

I want to stress again. DO NOT jump into anything like this without research, you actually can hurt your dog.
Its my opinion that dogs do not need vegetables but some people think they do. Since there is no school or scientists that test these things it up to you to make the choice. Dogs can survive on almost any type of food, they are omnivores and can even live on a vegetarian diet although this is not recommended at all.
Cats, however, MUST have meat or they will die in no time. That is why cat food is more expensive.

Benefits I have noticed after switching: she gets fleas less often, she is better hydrated, her fur is softer, she begs for food less, she is not hungry as often, she has lost weight (she was overweight before), she has more energy, she seems happier, her mouth and teeth look much healthier and brighter, her breath no longer stinks, she has less waste coming out of her, her arthritis does not bother her as often + other things.
She is 10 years old.

How I prepare is a weigh out the ounces on a postal scale, stick them in plastic zip lock bags, put them all in the freezer. Everyday I take one and put it in the refrigerator to thaw out for the next day while giving her the already thawed one from the day before. Very easy if you buy for a few weeks at a time. I only buy beef that is under $2 a lb. She is old and picky and will not eat as much cheaper meat like chicken..remedy for hat would have been starting the diet at a young age.

berrybunches
08-26-2008, 02:26 PM
I also want to second the point that cooked bones are very very bad- they cause choking. I know some people who feed them to their dogs and the dogs are fine - I guess they are used to them and were raised on them but I would not take that chance.

Very hard raw bones are also bad as they can chip teeth. You want soft bones that can be chewed up easily.

Small raw bones are also bad. The bones need to be to big to swallow, forcing the dog to chew and crush. All dogs are different sizes so while a chicken wing may be okay for a toy dog it would not be okay for a large dog.

Most dogs are not use to chewing bones and have to learn how. Big bones are good to start with. Raw chicken bones are good as they come in different sizes to please different dogs.
I think when they get use to chewing bones you can feed them almost any size. Just keep it to raw and soft bones.

I give my dog raw pigs feet, the whole foot unseasoned. They are a good size for her.

voytechs
08-26-2008, 02:34 PM
My dog eats BARF baby!!! and he is a happy puppy.

http://www.rawfeddogs.net/PhotoGalleries/normalsize/yncfo86heiy1wtfjg8t9.jpg

Jochebed
08-26-2008, 02:49 PM
My dog eats BARF baby!!! and he is a happy puppy.

http://www.rawfeddogs.net/PhotoGalleries/normalsize/yncfo86heiy1wtfjg8t9.jpg

That picture is...fantastic! LOL. Love it. I might have to send that to some food animal people I know...

Jochebed
08-26-2008, 02:53 PM
And berrybunches, I also wanted to say that you clearly have done your research. I still would suggest actual food testing to be sure what you're feeding is adequate, especially since you have a good system of preparing and storing your food.

I just get tired of talking to pet owners in various places that think the raw diet is just feeding beef and chicken from the supermarket...and then their puppy ends up with multiple pathologic fractures because they're reabsorbing calcium due to their calcium deficient diet. AYYYY! Way bad. So...anyway...

Roxi
08-26-2008, 03:23 PM
i ran a great dane rescue for 5 years, and we got some donations of food, but not enough so i made my own to supplement, and when our doggy cousin ruby comes to visit, i make her home made dog food because she loves it

voytechs
08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
You can use BARF (Bones and Raw Food) on your own. I chose to purchase patties from a local dealer. I use Bravo which is the most convenient. Nature's variety is also very good, but I like bravo better since patties are individual wrapped and easier to defrost.

jblosser
08-26-2008, 05:03 PM
If you are new to the idea of raw feeding you must read Dogs in Elk:

http://jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/dogsinelk.html

UnReconstructed
08-26-2008, 05:32 PM
The easiest way to feed raw I think is to grow rabbits. You need to start with a breeder pair and keep some of the females for breeding later. Take all the bucks and hang them up by their feet. Pull them down by the ears and hit them sharply in the back of the head with something blunt. Cut the head off and let it bleed out. Throw the carcass to the dog and the head in the trash. Wash the blood out into the grass with a garden hose.

olehounddog
08-26-2008, 06:38 PM
The easiest way to feed raw I think is to grow rabbits. You need to start with a breeder pair and keep some of the females for breeding later. Take all the bucks and hang them up by their feet. Pull them down by the ears and hit them sharply in the back of the head with something blunt. Cut the head off and let it bleed out. Throw the carcass to the dog and the head in the trash. Wash the blood out into the grass with a garden hose.

What's wrong with the head:confused:

UnReconstructed
08-26-2008, 07:49 PM
I don't want to see it in the yard later on.

berrybunches
08-26-2008, 10:50 PM
And berrybunches, I also wanted to say that you clearly have done your research. I still would suggest actual food testing to be sure what you're feeding is adequate, especially since you have a good system of preparing and storing your food.

I just get tired of talking to pet owners in various places that think the raw diet is just feeding beef and chicken from the supermarket...and then their puppy ends up with multiple pathologic fractures because they're reabsorbing calcium due to their calcium deficient diet. AYYYY! Way bad. So...anyway...

I understand your sentiment. People have a way about jumping into things, especially when they say "natural" thinking that "well its natural, nothing could go wrong."
A lot of kids get hurt from well meaning over eager parents self medicating also.

I think most people on RPF are good at doing our research, its in our cynical nature.

berrybunches
08-26-2008, 10:54 PM

I think that is a good idea but I just could not kill something myself. I am very sensitive. I saw my dog injure an adolescent bunny once and instinctively yelled at my dog to leave it alone; I saw the bunny laying there gasping for breath until it died and I poured tears. I must mention that I am 24 years old and this was last year lol.
I have a major soft spot for animals, I think most dog lovers probably do and therefor it would be hard for most to kill rabbits everyday.

Andrew Ryan
08-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Nope. I feed my dog kibble :cool:

tmosley
08-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Dogs have much better nutrient factories in their body than we do. They can take basic food and turn it into all of the vitamins they need (the only essential nutrients dogs need are minerals which can't be synthesized, and should be abundant in raw meat and bones).

It's evolution at work. Humans were selected for smarts and sociability, where most animals are selected for survivability under any circumstance. Being able to manufacture your own vitamin C is a big step in that direction. Humans and Guinea pigs are the only animals that can't synthesize their own vitamin C.

Anyways, I've started supplementing my dog's diets with leftovers, mainly old bread (homemade!) and leftover meat. I generally give them that and a cup of dog food each every day (they are big dogs, the lightest one is 35 lbs, the biggest over 100).

HonestyInMedicine
09-01-2008, 11:00 PM
I feed my cat a home prepared natural organic diet that is based on the B.A.R.F. diet which stands for bones and raw food. I do sometimes actually give my cat some raw chicken wings or a thigh to chew on with the bones and his teech are healthy and white and strong thanks to his diet...and due to the fact that except for a rabies shot he gets no vaccinations. If you want to cut the lifespan of a beloved pet, do everything your orthodox vet says including having your pet vaccinated every six months.

A really good website on the feline diet is www.felinefuture.com

Another good one and where I go in a pinch if I run out of home prepared is www.halopet.com. They also have dog food. All their food is human grade.

A reeally good (starter) book (or Bible) for Dog and Cat owners that care... is Natural Health for Dogs and Cats by Dr. Pitcairn DVM. It has recipes as well as natural medicines for various conditions for both dogs and cats.

Wendi
09-08-2008, 09:50 AM
So, if raw (real) food is so bad for dogs - how'd they survive all those centuries until dog food was invented?

Jochebed
09-08-2008, 11:31 AM
So, if raw (real) food is so bad for dogs - how'd they survive all those centuries until dog food was invented?

If humans survived all those centuries without medicine and processed food, how'd we survive?? Well we survived...but not as well as we do now. Why do all animals that are afforded protection and regular balanced meals live longer than they do in the wild?

I'm not saying "all raw food is bad" or anything, but in the hands of uninformed and overzealous petowners, envigorated by a few websites they read it's VERY dangerous. And those who fuel it by saying "it's more natural" are only adding to the problem. For me and my dog, "natural" doesn't come into the picture. I want to feed what is going to keep my dog the healthiest, as well as what is convenient, if that happens to be "raw food", so be it. But I'm not going to look at that as my ultimate criteria.

Not all commercial food is good either, but commercial pet food companies are required to balance their diets (to a degree, the AAFCO standards are actually pretty lax about what has to be on a petfood label) as well as put their food through rigorous food trials to show that long term feeding of their diet will not lead to pathological or fatal nutritional imbalances.

A petowner in their kitchen with some chicken necks, some carrots and a pack of ground beef does nothing of the sort. They may also be introducing Salmonella into their home, which is another danger.

I'm also irked by the raw food movements application of natural - folks want to get back to "more natural" feeding...what about "more natural" lodging - you know, kick the dog outside and let him fend for himself. If dogs did it in the past, why do they need to be in the house? "More natural" immunity - let them develop their own immunity to whatever diseases they pick up - they survived without vaccines before, why do they need them now? "More natural" medicine - if they break a leg, let it set on its own. Dogs have survived that way in the past, why should we provide veterinary treatment? Etc., etc. We do these things for our pets because we love them and want to care for them and help them live longer, happier, healthier lives and...they do!

Raw food, is slaughtered by a human, packaged by a human, purchased by a human, prepared by a human, sorry but that's not my definition of "natural".

voytechs
09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Here is a safe and easy way to feed your dog raw food:
http://www.bravorawdiet.com/

and

http://www.naturesvariety.com/

I like bravo better because of better packaging. I get it from a local dealer.

Nirvikalpa
09-08-2008, 11:59 AM
T.J. Dunn D.V.M."There is ample proof that today's pet dogs and cats do not thrive on cheap, packaged, corn-based pet foods. Dogs and cats are primarily meat eaters; to fill them up with grain-based processed dry foods that barely meet minimum daily nutrient requirements has proven to be a mistake."

William Pollak D.V.M. "Severe nutritional deficiencies and toxic states have been known to mimic almost every known disease in veterinary medicine. In chronic conditions, some developing over several generations, improvement in health can take months or years."

Alfred Plechner, D.V.M "The most common and most visible symptoms of nutritionally caused deficiencies are allergies of one kind or another. Because many commercial foods are woefully deficient in key nutrients, the long-term effect of these foods makes the dog hypersensitive to its environment. . . . [It's a dinosaur effect. Animals are being programmed for disaster, for extinction. Many of them are biochemical cripples with defective adrenal glands unable to manufacture adequate Cortisol, a hormone vital for health and resistance to disease." Allergies can be, and often are, unrecognized deficiency diseases.

Dr. Francis M. Pottenger's nutritional studies have shown that a regular diet of cooked or canned foods causes the development of chronic degenerative diseases and premature mortality.

Elizabeth Hodgkins DVM- "My own cats eat ONLY raw meat. It is a very good way to provide some of the natural, unprocessed nutrition the cat evolved to utilize best."

Dr. William Pollak D.V.M. "Recent studies have shown processed foods to be a factor in increasing the numbers of pets suffering from cancer, arthritis, obesity, dental disease, and heart disease. Dull or unhealthy coats are a common problem with cats and dogs, and poor diet is usually the cause, according to many veterinarians and breeders. "Dogs, cats, and other animals live for years on foods that come out of bags, cans and boxes. But do these foods promote health? If they did, our companion animals would enjoy long, happy lives free of arthritis, hip dysplasia, eye problems, ear problems, fleas and other parasites, gum disease, lick granulomas, thyroid imbalances, skin and coat problems, personality disorders, birth defects, breeding problems, diabetes, cancer and other major and minor illnesses. Before World War II, most North Americans fed their pets raw bones and table scraps. Today, everyone uses convenience foods, and pet food companies are industry giants. Diet isn't the only thing that has changed. So has life expectancy, with the life span of many breeds now less than half what it was two or three decades ago. Skin and coat problems are so common that we accept them as unavoidable, and today's vets routinely treat conditions that used to be unusual or even rare." Learn more: The Poisons in Pet Food

Dr. Kollath, of the Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm, headed a study done on animals. When young animals were fed cooked and processed foods they initially appeared to be healthy. However, as the animals reached adulthood, they began to age more quickly than normal and also developed chronic degenerative disease symptoms. A control group of animals raised on raw foods aged less quickly and were free of degenerative disease. In nature, we see another example of wild animals eating entirely enzyme-rich raw foods being free of the degenerative diseases that afflict humans.

My dog gets a mix of rice, cooked meat (slowly starting to wean off and introducing raw meat), and vegetables :)

As an owner you have to be very conscious that you can not stop feeding hard food cold turkey - you have to do so in smaller increments with more raw food and vegetables and let them adjust to the changes. Pay attention to what they like to eat and do not eat - animals have instincts which tell them to consume this type of food that has this type of vitamin they lack, etc. I checked my dogs stool every day to make sure she did not have diarrhea.

MsDoodahs
09-08-2008, 12:01 PM
BARF Combo (Beef, Lamb, Pork, Chicken) Patties:

Beef, Lamb, Chicken, Pork, Finely Ground Beef Bones, Beef Liver, Egg, Broccoli, Celery, Spinach, Carrot, Ground Flax Seed, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Beef Kidney, Unbleached Beef Tripe, Apple, Pear, Grapefruit, Orange, Dried Kelp, Cod Liver Oil, Garlic, Cayenne Pepper, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein minimum 13.5%
Crude Fat minimum 11.0%
Crude Fiber maximum 5.0%
Moisture maximum 68.0%
Calcium minimum 0.60%
Phosphorus minimum 0.30%
Calories expressed as Kcal per patty= 1205
12-8oz patties/package - 4 pkgs (48 patties) per case

BARF Chicken Patties:

Chicken with Finely Ground Bones, Chicken Liver, Egg, Broccoli, Celery, Spinach, Carrot, Ground Flax Seed, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Apple, Pear, Grapefruit, Orange, Dried Kelp, Cod Liver Oil, Garlic, Cayenne Pepper, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein minimum 12.0%
Crude Fat minimum 10.0%
Crude Fiber maximum 5.0%
Moisture maximum 72.0%
Calcium minimum 0.35%
Phosphorus minimum 0.20%
Calories expressed as Kcal per patty= 1185

BARF Beef Patties:

Beef with Finely Ground Bone, Beef Liver, Egg, Broccoli, Celery, Spinach, Carrot, Ground Flax Seed, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Beef Kidney, Unbleached Beef Tripe, Apple, Pear, Grapefruit, Orange, Dried Kelp, Cod Liver Oil, Garlic, Cayenne pepper, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein minimum 14.0%
Crude Fat minimum 10.0%
Crude Fiber maximum 5.0%
Moisture maximum 70.0%
Calcium minimum 0.60%
Phosphorus minimum 0.30%
Calories expressed as Kcal per patty= 1167

BARF Lamb Patties:

Lamb with Finely Ground Bones, Lamb Liver, Egg, Broccoli, Celery, Spinach, Carrot, Ground Flax Seed, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Lamb Kidney, Unbleached Lamb Tripe, Apple, Pear, Grapefruit, Orange, Dried Kelp, Cod Liver Oil, Garlic, Cayenne Pepper, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein minimum 14.0%
Crude Fat minimum 14.0%
Crude Fiber maximum 5.0%
Moisture maximum 65.0%
Calcium minimum 0.60%
Phosphorus minimum 0.30%
Calories expressed as Kcal per patty= 1379

Barfworld.com

I do use their patties for convenience.

eta: my girls love them. :)

Wendi
09-08-2008, 12:12 PM
I guess this is going to turn into another one of those threads where a few folks that are convinced their way is the only way are going to forget about "freedom" and "choice" for everyone else. Who needs it, anyway :rolleyes:

amyk
09-08-2008, 12:45 PM
I have had dogs in my house all my life and until I got my Golden I used to buy my food from Walmart, it may be just a coincident but I had problems with their health, teeth and shedding. When I got my Golden I did a lot of research and I now buy my food from the vet clinic, he has a beautiful coat, his teeth are white and healthy and he is the picture of health. Don't get me wrong about food though because I have ALWAYS given my dogs human food too, eggs, yogurt, meat and veggies. But I like all of you love my dogs like they are my kids, my kids say I love them more ;) I thank all of you who talked about the dangers of cooked bones!! I knew about chicken bones and have never allowed the dogs to have them but I have always given them our cooked beef and pork bones, I will have to pay more attention. Thanks and it is great to know that there are others out there like me who care as deeply for their "babies" as I do! And this subject is like talking to parents about raising kids, we all know what is best for ours and rarely do people agree on everything. But it is great to hear new ideas and thoughts to consider.

Jochebed
09-09-2008, 06:01 AM
MsDoodahs your post is a first for me in dealing with raw fooders. It is extremely refreshing to see someone who has done research and utilizes a food that has some numbers attached to it. Like I said earlier, feeding your dog with no knowledge of the animal's nutritional needs or the food's nutritional content can be very dangerous. I'm glad to know that there are raw food options with AAFCO style labels to allow owners and veterinarians tailor a diet that meets their needs.

Wendi, I'm not trying to say "my way or the highway" or to ignore choice. Petowners need to do their research and a lot of it before they take their pet's health literally into their own hands. You are what you eat, right? If you want a healthy pet I would imagine owners would want to know what they're feeding, not just that it's "natural". Think of it this way - I have the freedom and choice to go out and blindly vote for either McBama or O'Cain based on "change" or "charisma" or "I'm a Republicrat!"....I COULD do that. Or - I could go out, do my research and make a truly informed decision, which is the best for all involved. :)

berrybunches
09-09-2008, 09:23 AM
I have had dogs in my house all my life and until I got my Golden I used to buy my food from Walmart, it may be just a coincident but I had problems with their health, teeth and shedding. When I got my Golden I did a lot of research and I now buy my food from the vet clinic, he has a beautiful coat, his teeth are white and healthy and he is the picture of health. Don't get me wrong about food though because I have ALWAYS given my dogs human food too, eggs, yogurt, meat and veggies. But I like all of you love my dogs like they are my kids, my kids say I love them more ;) I thank all of you who talked about the dangers of cooked bones!! I knew about chicken bones and have never allowed the dogs to have them but I have always given them our cooked beef and pork bones, I will have to pay more attention. Thanks and it is great to know that there are others out there like me who care as deeply for their "babies" as I do! And this subject is like talking to parents about raising kids, we all know what is best for ours and rarely do people agree on everything. But it is great to hear new ideas and thoughts to consider.\

Misinformation abut bones is plentiful. Actually chicken bones are fine, just not cooked one. Whereas those hard steak bones that you think are good can actually chip teeth wither they are cooked or not! lol It gets confusing. But if you have been feeding cooked bones for years and years and nothing has happened your dog obviously knows how to eat them without chocking.
Always feed bones to big to swallow. Dogs can not chew, they only crush their food then swallow.

steve005
09-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Benefits of having a dog:

1. She eats all the gross parts of the chicken that I won't eat: organs, skin, fat, gristle, etc. (But I always cook them for her.)

2. She's an excellent pre-wash for the dishes prior to going into the dishwasher. And no, I don't think that's gross, think of all the water I save not rinsing!

3. Have some lunch meat or leftovers that you're sick of and won't eat before they go bad? My dog just can't get sick of that stuff--at least it won't go to waste.

4. Get a little out of control during the stir-fry and there's moo goo all over the floor? Senorita puppykins is glad to help with the clean-up.

bump

muh_roads
09-13-2008, 02:45 AM
There is a reason why cats only live for 3-4 years on a farm. Because they are fed scraps of human food and other junk.

I'd imagine the same would apply to dogs...

UnReconstructed
09-13-2008, 08:03 AM
I think you made that up to be argumentative. Do you have a source for cats only living 3 to 4 years on a farm? Are you PETA?

BeFranklin
09-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Our cat (ok so a cat isn't a dog) has recently been put on natural food after being sick for a year. - Allergies from store bought food.

Our food supply seems to be poisoned, and a lot of it is being imported from places that don't necessarily like us.

I'm concerned about the human supply as well - also what about canning up supplies when the canned stuff might not be great either?