PDA

View Full Version : Here is a live blog from Texas straw

Dave Wood
09-01-2007, 11:24 AM
http://trailblazers.beloblog.com/

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-01-2007, 11:31 AM
From that, I'm a little worried that Duncan Hunter's going to come away with this one. We know that hordes of Paulites who cannot vote are there, so if the response was equal for Paul and Hunter, Hunter probably has more there who can vote.

MicroBalrog
09-01-2007, 11:33 AM
I already said it before.

It will be a monumental embarrasment if we lose to Hunter.

rich34
09-01-2007, 11:37 AM
I wonder if there is a strategy among delegates that support the other candidates to all get behind Hunter just to make Paul look bad?

Cliff
09-01-2007, 11:37 AM
I already said it before.

It will be a monumental embarrasment if we lose to Hunter.

Not with a delegate vote.

njandrewg
09-01-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't think we have to worry about Hunter. He has no real cash to put up competition

Johnnybags
09-01-2007, 11:48 AM
The same dude on FOX that said "for me" Ron Paul its done? I sure hope its not the same one.

LibertyEagle
09-01-2007, 11:50 AM
The same dude on FOX that said "for me" Ron Paul its done? I sure hope its not the same one.

Michael Steele. Yup, he's at the straw poll. He's the chairman of GOPAC.

Cowlesy
09-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Michael Steele. Yup, he's at the straw poll. He's the head of GOPUSA.

Steele is a total tool.

specsaregood
09-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Update:
"Well, that's one Paul vote--but are others shut out?
Gromer Jeffers reports that Ron Paul probably won't be shut out. He's a Texan and a past convention delegate, so he just voted in the straw poll.

But the congressman said a bus-ful of his supporters was a little late and was denied entry to the straw poll. "People weren't allowed to be able to vote?" Mr. Paul exclaimed. "That doesn't sound fair."

GOP officials set a hard and fast rule, though, that if you weren't inside by 10 a.m. to pick up your credentials, too bad. We even had to pull some strings (translation: sweet talk the PR folks) to get our photographer in."

MicroBalrog
09-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Update:
Gromer Jeffers reports that Ron Paul probably won't be shut out. He's a Texan and a past convention delegate, so he just voted in the straw poll.

But the congressman said a bus-ful of his supporters was a little late and was denied entry to the straw poll. "People weren't allowed to be able to vote?" Mr. Paul exclaimed. "That doesn't sound fair."

GOP officials set a hard and fast rule, though, that if you weren't inside by 10 a.m. to pick up your credentials, too bad. We even had to pull some strings (translation: sweet talk the PR folks) to get our photographer in."

Is there any confirmation for this story? This sort of stuff could lose us the vote.

njandrewg
09-01-2007, 12:09 PM
thats messed up, in Illionois straw poll they extended the deadline in order to let people vote...and Thompson inched out on Ron Paul for 2nd place.

specsaregood
09-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Is there any confirmation for this story? This sort of stuff could lose us the vote.

I'm sure if it is true there will be confirmation coming...If true, I am sure they just pissed off a busload of their OWN GOP delegates.

FluffyUnbound
09-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Wow, they turned people away who were registered?

Didn't people pre-pay to attend this? If I prepaid and was turned away because my bus was a few minutes late, you can be damn sure I would reverse the credit card charge and never, ever, ever contribute to the state party in any way shape or form again.

LibertyEagle
09-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Update:

Specs, where did you hear this?

Brasil Branco
09-01-2007, 12:12 PM
That is some bullshit- I wonder if the same would happen if it was a Duncan Hunter bus.

LibertyEagle
09-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Oh God, I hope that isn't true.

specsaregood
09-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Specs, where did you hear this?

Its from the blog in the first post of this thread. :)

Mr. White
09-01-2007, 12:14 PM
If it's true, fine. People either follow the rules or they handle the consequences. Those on the bus did not make the proper plans to get there. I'm disappointed but will place blame where it is due, on those people.

Cowlesy
09-01-2007, 12:15 PM
It was posted on this blog : http://trailblazers.beloblog.com/

Gromer Jeffers is a Dallas Morning News guy I'm pretty sure---I remember he wrote a decent article and I wrote him some feedback.

specsaregood
09-01-2007, 12:16 PM
If it's true, fine. People either follow the rules or they handle the consequences. Those on the bus did not make the proper plans to get there. I'm disappointed but will place blame where it is due, on those people.

True enough, except. Texas is a BIG state and being there by 10am might be a bit difficult if you are coming from across the state. But with that said, I wonder if this 10am rule was broadcast and set in stone well in advance.

Mr. White
09-01-2007, 12:18 PM
I remember reading about the 10AM deadline awhile back. So I think it was. Regardless of how big the state is, thems the rules.

MsDoodahs
09-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Pre paid delegates were turned away?

No way!

:eek:

MsDoodahs
09-01-2007, 12:20 PM
True enough, except. Texas is a BIG state and being there by 10am might be a bit difficult if you are coming from across the state. But with that said, I wonder if this 10am rule was broadcast and set in stone well in advance.

If it was not clearly stated on the paperwork required to be submitted along with the money, then...

FluffyUnbound
09-01-2007, 12:21 PM
I remember reading about the 10AM deadline awhile back. So I think it was. Regardless of how big the state is, thems the rules.

If we were talking about some sort of state-run event, I'd agree with you. But this is a party event. All Texans in the party are in a shared association. Turning people away from an event designed to be a fundraiser for that association because they're a few minutes late is essentially exactly the same as holding a RonPaulForums.com fundraiser and when some people are slightly late, slamming the door in their face and saying "Fuck you, go home. Those are the rules."

jonahtrainer
09-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Pre paid delegates were turned away?

No way!

:eek:

No kidding. Sounds like a good way to turn away future donations. Like I'd give the GOP any money after some BS like that. If I paid $$ for a ticket, registered and traveled to participate and was then denied because our bus got stuck in traffic or whatever then I would probably not donate to that organization again. Sure, the GOP can set the rules but they are selling something just like anyone else and the customer is king.

MsDoodahs
09-01-2007, 12:23 PM
If we were talking about some sort of state-run event, I'd agree with you. But this is a party event. All Texans in the party are in a shared association. Turning people away from an event designed to be a fundraiser for that association because they're a few minutes late is essentially exactly the same as holding a RonPaulForums.com fundraiser and when some people are slightly late, slamming the door in their face and saying "Fuck you, go home. Those are the rules."

Shows what a truly big tent the Texas GOP uses, doesn't it?

:mad:

rich34
09-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Like it's a big freakin deal to let people come in and vote! Clearly here is another example of a hidden agenda. This blows!

Brasil Branco
09-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Here's hoping that those delegates and supporters raise a storm- I would not sit back and take that bullcrap without a big, drawn out fight.

Mr. White
09-01-2007, 12:26 PM
... and then if RP won by a landslide, they'd say the GOP ignored its own rules and let busloads of late rp votes in. The GOP hosts the event, it laid out rules, it enforced them. Simple.

Hook
09-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I wonder if the 10:00 AM rule was a way of keeping delegates out that were far away from the location of the straw poll. Is the straw poll far away from Lake Jackson?

maggiebott
Mr. White,

Just who's side are you on sir? Are you feckin kidding me about 10 a.m.?
Wanker

1000-points-of-fright
Who the hell closes doors at 10am? That's when they should be opening!

Brasil Branco
09-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Isn't voting at noon anyway?

Johnnybags
09-01-2007, 12:33 PM
for now, they will infuriate people and we will get press coverage of the hidden agendas and expose the fraudulent so called frontrunnners for what they are, CFR puppets with the ethics of a crackwhore. Patience is a virtue. Keep the cash flowing in, those #'s cannot be denied.

Mr. White
Mr. White,

Just who's side are you on sir? Are you feckin kidding me about 10 a.m.?
Wanker

I'm on the side that finds it interesting that people who so love RP's strict adherence to the Constitution feel the GOP shouldn't follow the rules of it's own straw poll.

Am I bummed if those people were all rp voters? Yes, but that's beccause I'm biased for Ron Paul.

If 10 buses of Romney supporters showed up at 10:05 AM, would you want them let in?

The GOP will reap the issues this may cause for some of its donators down the road, but they can't be faulted for following their own rules just because you want some more RP votes.

MsDoodahs
Yeah, that is a longer ride for those in Ron's home district, for sure. It's further than Houston by a ways.

Whoever said 10am is when they should have been opening, yes, that's right!

phixonpolitics
09-01-2007, 12:35 PM
I looked at the blog referenced, and didn't see anything about delegates being turned away because they came in after 10:00. Now, it could have been removed to avoid a fuss, but there's no way to tell without of cache of some kind. That same blog did state that the room was full to capacity, with ppl standing in the back. So, maybe that's good news.

specsaregood
09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I looked at the blog referenced, and didn't see anything about delegates being turned away because they came in after 10:00. Now, it could have been removed to avoid a fuss, but there's no way to tell without of cache of some kind. That same blog did state that the room was full to capacity, with ppl standing in the back. So, maybe that's good news.

It is write here. Not on a townhall.com blog.
http://trailblazers.beloblog.com/archives/2007/09/well_thats_one_paul_votebut_ar.html

cjhowe
09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
The bus from Houston arrived at about 10:02 (I saw it personally). Everyone that was outside packed up about 10, so I don't know if they were refused entry.

LibertyEagle
09-01-2007, 12:40 PM
The bus from Houston arrived at about 10:02 (I saw it personally). Everyone that was outside packed up about 10, so I don't know if they were refused entry.

See what you can find out, CJ. Please.

thomj76
09-01-2007, 12:45 PM
I would really like this confirmed before jumping to conclusions :)

ghemminger
09-01-2007, 12:47 PM
just got on - Summary anyone - My Eyes hurt!!

libertygrl
09-01-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm going to wait until I hear more but NOTHING would surprise me if any shenannigans were going on.

Remember people. This is Texas. "BUSH COUNTRY." Ron Paul is a major threat to the staus quo. They'll do everything in the book to keep him from gaining any ground. :mad:

FluffyUnbound
09-01-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm on the side that finds it interesting that people who so love RP's strict adherence to the Constitution feel the GOP shouldn't follow the rules of it's own straw poll.

Am I bummed if those people were all rp voters? Yes, but that's beccause I'm biased for Ron Paul.

If 10 buses of Romney supporters showed up at 10:05 AM, would you want them let in?

The GOP will reap the issues this may cause for some of its donators down the road, but they can't be faulted for following their own rules just because you want some more RP votes.

I think you're focusing on the wrong part of the event.

This event is first and foremost a fundraiser for the state party. That is its purpose. The Straw Poll is entertainment. It's like having door prizes or a Las Vegas night or a live band. The only reason the Straw Poll exists is to get people to attend the fundraiser.

If you hold a fundraiser and people show up with money and you turn them away because "rules are rules", you're either a nut or a jerk.

I wasn't one of the people who complained when the IL Straw Poll was left open for a few minutes to allow Fred Thompson supporters delayed by weather to vote. It's a Straw Poll at a fair. Closing it on the dot on the hour because "rules are rules" would be like closing the cotton candy cart while people were still in line to buy some. Hey, closing time might be a rule, but your first rule should be to still as much cotton candy as you can.

LibertyEagle
09-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Fluffy,

It all depends upon whether the tickets had been pre-purchased. They were 25 bucks cheaper if pre-purchased. If this is the case, I doubt they care whether they voted or not.

MsDoodahs
09-01-2007, 01:05 PM
If they accepted payment from the people on the bus, and if it was not made clear on the initial paperwork those people completed that this "10am rule" was in place, then those people deserve to get their money back.

Doesn't matter to me who they were going to vote for.

Quantumystic
09-01-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm going to wait until I hear more but NOTHING would surprise me if any shenannigans were going on.

Remember people. This is Texas. "BUSH COUNTRY." Ron Paul is a major threat to the staus quo. They'll do everything in the book to keep him from gaining any ground. :mad:

Here:

GOP officials set a hard and fast rule, though, that if you weren't inside by 10 a.m. to pick up your credentials, too bad. We even had to pull some strings (translation: sweet talk the PR folks) to get our photographer in.

This sucks. I understand the need for order and all, but an entire busload of people was shut out here. :mad:

LibertyEagle
09-01-2007, 01:08 PM
We still need confirmation.

I'm still hoping it is not true. 2 frickin' minutes? give me a break.

specsaregood
09-01-2007, 01:08 PM
The results were to be announced at 2pm CST, from what I read.
That would be a few minutes ago...

Hook
09-01-2007, 01:13 PM
The results were to be announced at 2pm CST, from what I read.
That would be a few minutes ago...

Yeah, so what's the results? Or are they having another "voting machine glitch"?

LibertyEagle
I'm listening to some idiot on We the People radio. He's not saying a thing about the straw poll though.

LibertyEagle
Yeah, so what's the results? Or are they having another "voting machine glitch"?

Paper ballots. Hand counting.

Brasil Branco
09-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Paper ballots. Hand counting.

They ran out of white out- so someone had to make a quick run to Staples.

stevedasbach
09-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Townhall just posted that the results will be available in about an hour (~4:15pm Eastern)

Hook
09-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Townhall just posted that the results will be available in about an hour (~4:15pm Eastern)

Riiiight. There seems to be a pattern here. They must hire gov't workers to run these things, considering how slow they are.

FluffyUnbound
09-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Riiiight. There seems to be a pattern here. They must hire gov't workers to run these things, considering how slow they are.

To be fair, many people on this forum are adamantly opposed to the use of Diebold machines, and prefer paper ballots.

If you use paper ballots that have to be hand-counted, we can't have instant gratification on the results.

BrazilLuLa
09-01-2007, 01:29 PM
I have called the Texas Republican Party To Confirm. You can all rest assured that the good folks here know what they are talking about.

Paper ballots, Hand Counted in Texas. It will be a fair vote.

Derek Johnson
09-01-2007, 10:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIh_2cun_xE

Here's my footage from today [Ft. Worth TX straw poll], I'll post some interviews with non-Paul people later.

Pizza God
09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
One of our organizers knows the person in charge of the vote counting. She said it would be fair and he vouched for her. She didn't care who won.

There were about as many Hunter people as Ron Paul people. The Fred Heads didn't come into the speeches.

don't blame them, it was very boring.