PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Paul needs to talk about war on drugs more

SeanEdwards
05-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Somebody needs to tell Dr. Paul to put more effort into communicating his opposition to the war on drugs. Next time somebody asks him about war in Iraq, he should be saying "I'm opposed to war in general, including the war on Americans by the US government known as the war on drugs".

I'm serious, this is a winning policy position, and none of the other pandering assclowns want to touch it. It would be another great way to show how Paul is a real alternative to the status quo.

kylejack
05-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Somebody needs to tell Dr. Paul to put more effort into communicating his opposition to the war on drugs. Next time somebody asks him about war in Iraq, he should be saying "I'm opposed to war in general, including the war on Americans by the US government known as the war on drugs".

I'm serious, this is a winning policy position, and none of the other pandering assclowns want to touch it. It would be another great way to show how Paul is a real alternative to the status quo.

He's kind of hinted at this in a few interviews. When asked about the War on Terror, he says that its silly to declare war on a term, just like the War on Drugs and the War on Poverty.

austinphish
05-27-2007, 09:34 PM
here is my reaction to the 5/25 Bill Maher was:

Ron Paul needs to stay more on the cutting edge. What got him to where he is now is being "controversial" he should have pushed Bill Maher to think about a new issue. I am glad he repeated some of Debate 2, but people watching this are intelligent and don't need to hear you same the same thing 3 different ways. Push the Constitution, push individual freedom, push habeas corpus. He pussyfooted around a little bit while Maher didn't bring up any other subject than the "war on terror."

I hope RP's next subject is AIPAC on the middle east - if you know anyone who is international they will let you know that it is a fact that America is Israel's puppet. Israel has noble themes, but how can the world not see that Israel needs to take the higher ground. Being anti Israel =! anti-semetic. Then RP states you can check his voting record - he has never voted for AIPACs interests over the interests of Americans.

TheConstitutionLives
I have mixed feelings about him taking that issue mainstream. That's not gonna sit too well with Grandma and Grandpa who have been conditioned to believe if drugs are legal there will be violence everywhere. The opposite of that is true of course. Him focusing on "Medical" marijuana is the best approach and that's what he's been taking.

Capitalism

I agree completely that the war on drugs is an abomination. He may be trying to avoid a conflict with some potential supporters right now because much of the conservative movement does not understand the threat to liberty the war on drugs imposes. Seriously, a majority of the nation supports the war on drugs. We can hope the nation wakes up to the mostrosity it has become.

Also, when explaining his opposition to the war in Iraq, I think he is going to need to be really damn specific about WHY he opposes it, so people can remember what is wrong with it. (Think about how people tried to tear him apart saying America deserved 9/11.) Just saying he opposes war in general isn't very convincing to many people. They need to know why. He usually only has a very limited amount of time to answer questions, so he needs to make his answer and the basis for it very clear and convincing.

TaoWarrior
Not so sure that is a good idea. In the socialy conservative republican party of today war on drugs is not on the table.

Yes it is a great position for the young and socialy liberal but right now we need to win the republican primary. Once we get to the general election that position becomes a more powerful one.

TheConstitutionLives
05-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I hope RP's next subject is AIPAC on the middle east.

Oh, goodness no. That will be poltical suicide in today's climate. The media will rip him to shreds if he mentions AIPAC.

kylejack
05-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I have mixed feelings about him taking that position mainstream. That's not gonna sit too well with Grandma and Grandpa who have been conditioned to believe if drugs are legal there will be violence everywhere. The opposite of that is true of course.

But Grandma and Grandpa might be susceptible to arguments that they should be able to buy their prescriptions from Canada, and that their medications are so expensive because it costs a billion dollars (literally a billion dollars) in fees and costs just to navigate a drug through the FDA, nevermind the research and development required before that, and they might be receptive to the fact that cancer patients can't smoke marijuana to restore their appetite and keep their chemo pills down, despite the fact that states have legalized it and the Tenth Amendment prohibits federal intervention.

A liberty message can be catered to the right audience.

kylejack
05-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Not so sure that is a good idea. In the socialy conservative republican party of today war on drugs is not on the table.

Yes it is a great position for the young and socialy liberal but right now we need to win the republican primary. Once we get to the general election that position becomes a more powerful one.

Oddly enough, most people I talk to, hardcore Republicans included, think the Prohibition of marijuana is ridiculous.

TaoWarrior
05-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Yes they think so but they will not say it first.

They won't stop voting for Paul because of it but if there are enough other questions it just adds one more. Remember the first time most people hear about Ron Paul they are being told he is a kook. So the first thing we want them to hear after that is not yeah and he is against the war on drugs.

I agree that the message can be tailored to the right audiance just be careful of which mesage to which audiance.

SeanEdwards
05-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I have mixed feelings about him taking that issue mainstream. That's not gonna sit too well with Grandma and Grandpa who have been conditioned to believe if drugs are legal there will be violence everywhere. The opposite of that is true of course. Him focusing on "Medical" marijuana is the best approach and that's what he's been taking.

I really don't think it's dangerous at all. Those people who are still gung ho for locking up pot smokers are not going to vote for RP anyway, because those are the same people that still love the Bush administration.

Opposition to the war on drugs, both from the individual liberty position, and from the excess government spending position is potentially a huge win. I think it has great cross-over appeal and could get even more independents to register republican.

angelatc
05-27-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't like the idea of stumping on a platform of reforming drug laws. Keep the message about State's rights.

The Governors are the people who should be lured by that song. It would give them a lot more power than they have now, especially if the 17th amendment was repealed.

The days of the career politicians in the Senate would just about be done.

ronpaulitician
05-27-2007, 10:32 PM
There's no use in running away from the views Ron Paul believes in, even if those views may not sit well with some potential voters.
a) Those views are what makes Ron Paul who he is.
b) Those views will eventually be brought up by his opponents in order to demonize him. Best to (1) beat them to the punch, and (2) get some publicity out of it.

I think right now, at least until the next debate (June 5), Paul should focus on the "blowback" issue, and try to get Giuliani to bite. Rudy has proven that he has nothing substantial to say on the issue (see his replies to Dr. Paul's reading assignment), so hopefully he'll say something stupid in response.

Although I like to see Paul speak from the heart, he MUST have a strategy to handle the few potential replies Rudy will give to the obvious "Have you read the 9/11 report?" question that will come forth in this debate (either from the moderator, or from Paul himself). A nice soundbite in reply to Rudy's answer could mean a couple points in the offline polls, especially in the NH polls.

kylejack
05-27-2007, 10:50 PM
The Barry Goldwater quote here is more apt than ever before:

"Let me remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

tnvoter
05-27-2007, 10:51 PM

"Let me remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

i love it.

Anne
05-27-2007, 11:11 PM
That's not gonna sit too well with Grandma and Grandpa who have been conditioned to believe if drugs are legal there will be violence everywhere.

My grandma is 100 years old and wants to see marijuana legalized. Don't put all "old" people into one prudish pot.

Ron Paul believes in legalizing drugs. We should embrace that rather than try to hide it. He isn't trying to hide it.

Anne
05-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Opposition to the war on drugs, both from the individual liberty position, and from the excess government spending position is potentially a huge win. I think it has great cross-over appeal and could get even more independents to register republican.

Amen! California voters made medical marijuana legal but the Fed continues to prosecute them. Ron Paul can win the primary in California by letting them know he will allow their vote for medical marijuana to stand.

Why are people so afraid of this issue? Marijuana is one of the best drugs we have as a people. Stop putting your fears onto Ron Paul and the rest of us!

CurtisLow
05-27-2007, 11:56 PM
My grandma is 100 years old and wants to see marijuana legalized. Don't put all "old" people into one prudish pot.

Ron Paul believes in legalizing drugs. We should embrace that rather than try to hide it. He isn't trying to hide it.

Go grandma!http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7306/smilepb6.gif

The count down...

Most dangerous drugs
Research recently published in the medical journal The Lancet rates the most dangerous drugs (starting with the worst) as follows:

1. Heroin
2. Cocaine
3. Barbiturates
4. Street methadone
5. Alcohol
6. Ketamine
7. Benzodiazepines
8. Amphetamine
9. Tobacco
10. Buprenorphine
11. Cannabis
12. Solvents
13. 4-MTA
14. LSD
15. Methylphenidate
16. Anabolic steroids
17. GHB
18. Ecstasy
19. Alkyl nitrates
20. Khat

Brandybuck
05-28-2007, 12:26 AM
We should embrace that rather than try to hide it. He isn't trying to hide it.
Ron Paul has lots of positions, and we should embrace them all. But his emphasis has always been on the economy (taxes, fed, etc), so that deserves a little bigger embrace than the others.

IMHO.

SeanEdwards
05-28-2007, 12:28 AM

Barry Goldwater favored de-criminalizing marijuana.

kylejack
05-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Barry Goldwater favored de-criminalizing marijuana.

Yes, he and Ron Paul were very similar, aside from Barry Goldwater talking about how he'd turn Vietnam into nothing but mud. Certainly had a penchant for the dramatic.

DjLoTi
05-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Lets start talking about HEMP. The benefits to society.

Here's a 1942 video made by the United States Department of Agriculture

About the benefits for hemp. Please watch, only 13 minutes.

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/105691/Hemp_for_Victory.html

SeanEdwards
05-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Yes, he and Ron Paul were very similar, aside from Barry Goldwater talking about how he'd turn Vietnam into nothing but mud. Certainly had a penchant for the dramatic.

LOL check out this Barry Goldwater quote:

In response to Moral Majority founder Jerry Falwell's opposition to the nomination of Sandra Day O'Connor to the Supreme Court, of which Falwell had said, “Every good Christian should be concerned,” Goldwater retorted: “I think every good Christian ought to kick Falwell right in the ass.”

CurtisLow
05-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Lets start talking about HEMP. The benefits to society.

Here's a 1942 video made by the United States Department of Agriculture

About the benefits for hemp. Please watch, only 13 minutes.

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/105691/Hemp_for_Victory.html

cool video!
In clip 13:08 you can see a guy falling from the rigging of the ship. Wonder if he lived?

Bradley in DC
05-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Dr. Paul is at his best, and doing well with, talking about the principles and goals of government. Of course, the Iraqi War is the most important issue of the day and differentiates himself well from all of he other candidates--Republican or Democrat (confirmed by Michael Scheuer at the National Press Club event).

While it certainly helps to educate drug war opponents about Dr. Paul's position on the issue (not a federal issue), we need to focus on winning the Republican nomination. If supporters of the idea of raising this issue can formulate a reasoned argument--preferably backed up by recent polling of likely Republican primary voters, then let's have that discussion.

More practically, when Dr. Paul starts getting traction in the polls, his opponents are sure to raise the issue. They tried this--and failed--in the Congressional races. This issue, me thinks, will be the canary in the mine: when Rudy, et al. attack Dr. Paul on the drug war, THEN we will have confirmation that he's threatening them.

joenaab
05-28-2007, 10:08 AM
There is no reason to avoid the issue of ending the Drug War, but I think its not a good idea to march it out in front of other issues, only a few of which need be spotlighted to win the election. If need be, focus on marijuana, hemp and medicinal marijuana, but steer clear of total decriminalization. This can be promoted on the Internet, but not in the mainstream.

Remember, people who support the end of the drug war will know right away that Ron Paul is their candidate.

Issues to pound home that have the most traction:

1. End of War, End of Interventionalist policies
2. Lower taxes, balanced budgets and the end of the Income Tax and IRS
3. Restoration of civil rights & liberties, repeal of Patriot Act, Military Commissions Act...
4. Small Federal Govt, shift power to the States where it is more accountable
5. Deregulation of Health Industry (here's a demographic to target!)
6. National Sovereignty, withdrawal from UN, WTO, IMF, NAFTA, etc.
7. Immigration and border defense
8. Monetary Reform, close the Federal Reserve, Sound Money

Promoting drug decriminalization has the potention to backfire, none of the above do.

4Horsemen
05-28-2007, 05:54 PM
"Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control mans' appetite through legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not even crimes... A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our Government was founded."
-Abraham Lincoln (December 1840)

cujothekitten
05-28-2007, 08:08 PM

I disagree. My dad had cancer and he'd be better off with marijuana than without it. It took him 2 years to wean himself off morphine. Both my parents are sick of the drug war and think marijuana should be legalized along with every member of my family. Even my grandfather (who also has cancer) thinks marijuana is harmless. I think the older generation sees marijuana is a helpful substance and are a little more open to it being used. I really think society is ready to talk about the drug war.

Bradley in DC
05-28-2007, 08:13 PM
I disagree. My dad had cancer and he'd be better off with marijuana than without it. It took him 2 years to wean himself off morphine. Both my parents are sick of the drug war and think marijuana should be legalized along with every member of my family. Even my grandfather (who also has cancer) thinks marijuana is harmless. I think the older generation sees marijuana is a helpful substance and are a little more open to it being used. I really think society is ready to talk about the drug war.

I suspect anecdotally that you're going to be right in the future but that most likely Republican party primary caucus voters aren't there yet.

lucky
05-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Oddly enough, most people I talk to, hardcore Republicans included, think the Prohibition of marijuana is ridiculous.

I am one of those hardcores and have thought the war on drugs is rediculous. Most everyone I know is a Republican and also thinks so. In fact I have only known one or two that thought Marijuana should be prohibited. Seems most have the wrong idea about who and what a Republican is. We think that the war on drugs is a power ploy toward big brotherhood.

The Feds do not own my body or spirit and should not have any say so on what I put into it.

Anne
05-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Seems most have the wrong idea about who and what a Republican is. We think that the war on drugs is a power ploy toward big brotherhood.

The Feds do not own my body or spirit and should not have any say so on what I put into it.

Right on!!!!!!!!! A true conservative abhors the government telling him or her what they can smoke in the privacy of their own home.

It's just the Neocons and Moral Majority types who want to regulate our lives.

So are we going to pander to the Neocons and Moral Fascists in this election or to the real Republicans, Conservatives, Libertarians, and Liberals who are on our side?

Ron Paul will never get the vote of the Neocons who are pro-war, anti-drug so why spend our time trying to get their votes?

Mindbinder
05-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Right on!!!!!!!!! A true conservative abhors the government telling him or her what they can smoke in the privacy of their own home.

It's just the Neocons and Moral Majority types who want to regulate our lives.

So are we going to pander to the Neocons and Moral Fascists in this election or to the real Republicans, Conservatives, Libertarians, and Liberals who are on our side?

Ron Paul will never get the vote of the Neocons who are pro-war, anti-drug so why spend our time trying to get their votes?

Because "the middle of the road people" are being told by mass media that Ron Paul is a radical liberal who is running in the wrong party. If he starts coming on strong about legalizing weed, then he is a going to be painted as a "peace-loving, pot smoking hippie". Fair or not, this would scare off a lot of conservative voters and ruin his chances in a republican primary.

jimmy1954
05-29-2007, 12:17 AM
I am sure they will make ‘The War on Drugs’ an issue during one of the debates in the hope of knocking Ron Paul out.

I think we will all drop our jaws and hold our breath as Dr. Paul begins to answer. I am sure he has all the facts and figures to debate ‘The War on Drugs’ issue. After he answers, all of the Neo-Cons will pile on him.

On the next day, Ron Paul’s YouTube subscriber numbers will double, 50,000 more young people (55 and under) will register republican and the Ron Paul Meet-up groups will increase by 15 percent.

Jimmy

NewEnd
05-29-2007, 12:23 AM
I am sure they will make ‘The War on Drugs’ an issue during one of the debates in the hope of knocking Ron Paul out.

I think we will all drop our jaws and hold our breath as Dr. Paul begins to answer. I am sure he has all the facts and figures to debate ‘The War on Drugs’ issue. After he answers, all of the Neo-Cons will pile on him.

On the next day, Ron Paul’s YouTube subscriber numbers will double, 50,000 more young people (55 and under) will register republican and the Ron Paul Meet-up groups will increase by 15 percent.

Jimmy

me too. the war on drugs has gone on long enough, drug use has skyrocketed since it began, and DARE created more drug use if you look at the graduating classes.

People have been openly smoking pot since the 60's, and now they are the middle class.... I know many who still do. I thought they were all liberals, until I found out conservatives smoked weed too.