PDA

View Full Version : Warner retires

B964
09-01-2007, 11:03 AM
John Warner retiresand says:

“I am playing, I have played and I will continue to play a role in trying to bring about a cessation of that conflict so that it affects the dignity of the armed forces,” Warner said.

The son of a surgeon, Warner grew up in Washington, D.C. but remained true to his family’s Virginia roots, attending school at his father’s alma mater of Washington and Lee, and law school at the University of Virginia. He served as Secretary of the Navy from 1969-1972, and was elected to the Senate in 1978.

He also has shown a notable independent streak, refusing to endorse his party’s Republican nominee, Oliver North, in the 1994 Senate race, instead supporting an independent candidate.

Whats the chances of a endorsment of Ron Paul?

Kuldebar
09-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Whats the chances of a endorsment of Ron Paul?

"ABC News' Paul Fidalgo Reports: Despite significant disagreements over the Iraq War, Sen. John Warner, R-Va., gave his endorsement Monday for the presidential bid of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

The two Senators have recently been at odds over the President's escalation of troop levels in Iraq, with McCain being a staunch supporter of the President's policy, and Warner, a former Navy Secretary and World War II veteran, authoring a bill opposing the surge. They have been allies more often than they have been adversaries, however, and Warner's endorsement gives McCain the backing of a well-respected institution of the Senate, the military, and Southern politics in general."

Source: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/02/warner_backs_mc.html

I don't have great confidence for any principled endorsement from that man.

Omnis
09-01-2007, 11:36 AM
There went McCain's last hundred thousand...