PDA

View Full Version : Where is Rumsfeld?

The One
08-24-2008, 03:04 PM
I never hear the guy's name mentioned anymore in relation to where he is now and what he's doing. Does anybody know?

unconsious767
08-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Dunno, probably installed somewhere in business as a consultant making big bux. Here's some video for those who miss him:

http://i35.tinypic.com/wwkkcz.gif

IChooseLiberty
08-24-2008, 03:36 PM
I believe he resigned over some controversy... not 100% sure though.

IChooseLiberty
08-24-2008, 03:37 PM
I believe he resigned over some controversy... not 100% sure though.

From wiki:

Calls for resignation

In an unprecedented move in modern US history,[65] eight retired generals and admirals called for Rumsfeld to resign in early 2006 in what was called the "Generals Revolt", accusing him of "abysmal" military planning and lack of strategic competence.[66][67][68] Rumsfeld rebuffed these criticisms, stating that "out of thousands and thousands of admirals and generals, if every time two or three people disagreed we changed the secretary of defense of the United States, it would be like a merry-go-round."[69] Commentator Pat Buchanan reports that "Washington Post columnist David Ignatius, who travels often to Iraq and supports the war, says that the generals' and admirals' views mirror those of 75 percent of the officers in the field, and probably more."[70] Bush responded to the criticism by stating that Rumsfeld is "exactly what is needed,"[71] and also defended him in his controversial decider remark.

On November 1, 2006, President Bush stated he would stand by Rumsfeld as defense secretary for the length of his term as president.[72] Rumsfeld wrote a resignation letter dated November 6, and, per the stamp on the letter, Bush saw it on Election Day, November 7.[73] In the elections, the House and the Senate shifted to Democratic control. After the elections, on November 8, Bush announced Rumsfeld would resign his position as Secretary of Defense. Many Republicans were unhappy with the delay, believing they would have won more votes if voters had known Rumsfeld was resigning.[73]

Bush nominated Robert Gates for the position.[74][75][76][77] At a press conference announcing the resignation of Rumsfeld and the nomination of Gates, Bush remarked, "America is safer and the world is more secure because of the service and the leadership of Donald Rumsfeld."[78]

On December 18, 2006, Rumsfeld's resignation took effect and Gates was sworn in as his successor. One of his last actions as defense secretary was to pay a surprise visit to Iraq on December 10, 2006 to bid farewell to the United States military serving in Iraq.[79]

Including his time serving as the 13th Secretary of Defense under President Ford from 1975 to 1977, Rumsfeld is the second-longest-serving Secretary of Defense in history, falling nine days short of becoming the longest-serving Pentagon chief (after the Vietnam-era Secretary of Defense, Robert McNamara).

In a farewell ceremony on December 16, 2006, Rumsfeld's long-time political collaborator Vice President Dick Cheney, who worked with him in the Ford administration, called the secretary "the finest secretary of defense this nation has ever had."

pacelli
08-24-2008, 03:48 PM
He probably went back to the same pod that he was hatched from, to lie dormant for another 100 years or so.

Either that or he moved to Dubai to get the welcome party ready for Prick Cheney.

LibertyEagle
08-24-2008, 04:25 PM
I can't remember where I read it, but the assertion was that Rumsfeld was still in D.C. working for the Administration. But tucked away from public scrutiny. I don't know if it's true or not, but I recall believing it at the time that I heard it.

tekrunner
08-25-2008, 01:03 AM
I can't remember where I read it, but the assertion was that Rumsfeld was still in D.C. working for the Administration. But tucked away from public scrutiny. I don't know if it's true or not, but I recall believing it at the time that I heard it.

2nd that. I recall reading about how he would be working to help transition the new leadership at the Pentagon. So yeah they basically just kept him doing the same thing but out of the publics eye. I use to love laughing at baghdad bob but he doesn't seem that ridiculous anymore.