PDA

View Full Version : Lew Rockwell turns down VP spot on Louisiana Taxpayers Party ticket

SneakyFrenchSpy
08-24-2008, 11:27 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/022467.html

Paul/Rockwell?
Posted by Lew Rockwell at August 24, 2008 11:33 AM

Writes Trent Hill: "Last week, there was much excitement over the news that an independent ticket featuring Michael Bloomberg and Ron Paul would be placed on the ballot in Virginia. This was eventually shot down because the ticket was to be replaced by the Constitution Party's ticket.

"Now, in Louisiana, a similar but more exciting thing is happening. Constitutionalists, Libertarians, Republicans, and Independents have gotten together and formed an elector-slate to place Ron Paul/Lew Rockwell on the ballot. Although this is not finalized yet, it seems a certainty. The new entity placing Paul/Rockwell on the ballot is the Louisiana Taxpayers Party, a completely Indepedent state party expressing fidelity to the principles of the Constitution, and of un-restricted free trade.

"Mr. Rockwell, we hope that you will permit us to place your name on the ballot beside heroic constitutionalist Ron Paul. We feel that you've done much in the service to Liberty and recieved little in return. You needn't sign any paperwork or even agree to be on the ballot."
If you refuse, we hope you'll help us find a suitable Vice-Presidential candidate."

Trent, you do me great honor by including me with Ron Paul, but I cannot accept your very kind offer. But I love the idea of having Ron on the ballot in Louisiana!

Me thinks he's taking a bullet for the team because of the newsletters. If not for them and the speculation swirling around him, he most likely would have accepted.

So who should be the VP? My pick is Judge Napolitano.

Paging Torchbearer...

Unspun
08-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Why would you say that? If you understood his philosophy you would understand why he doesn't want to be associated with running for the position of president. I really don't think Rockwell will ever run for anything. He's been in Washington once and hated it. I don't blame him.

Sandra
08-24-2008, 12:11 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/022467.html

Me thinks he's taking a bullet for the team because of the newsletters. If not for them and the speculation swirling around him, he most likely would have accepted.

So who should be the VP? My pick is Judge Napolitano.

Paging Torchbearer...

I haven't heard of this before now. Trent Hill used to email our meetup about these things but we haven't heard anything from him since our Convention.

torchbearer
08-24-2008, 01:00 PM
John Breaux would get press and votes in louisiana.
Paul/Breaux?

torchbearer
08-24-2008, 01:01 PM
they need to hurry up and decide. they have until the 2nd.
perhaps they should call me if they need help.

TruthisTreason
08-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I can see Lew in a Vice Presidential debate explaining why he DOESN'T VOTE>:D

MGreen
08-24-2008, 01:11 PM
...It's a novelty ticket. It's not like anyone is going to scrutinize Rockwell or demand explanations for politically damaging events in his past. It'd be something for Paul people to vote for.

He has no interest in entering the political scene, especially in DC, so he asked that they don't make it look like he is interested.

runningdiz
08-24-2008, 02:04 PM
I am not shocked at all he has said in the past before, "if asked to run I would decline if voted in I would resign." He has not voted in decades, he did not even vote for Ron Paul in the primary. Lew Rockwell is a great guy and stands by his beliefs just like Ron Paul stands by his.

Truth Warrior
08-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Ahem, REAL libertarians don't run for public office.<IMHO> ;)

Crickett
08-24-2008, 04:43 PM
...It's a novelty ticket. It's not like anyone is going to scrutinize Rockwell or demand explanations for politically damaging events in his past. It'd be something for Paul people to vote for.

He has no interest in entering the political scene, especially in DC, so he asked that they don't make it look like he is interested.

If it is a novelty then put Pat Buchanan on it. He'd be GREAT

torchbearer
08-24-2008, 08:27 PM
bump

Sandra
08-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Brent, Could someone running on the GOP ticket get on this Tax payers party? It would still be considered a third party?

torchbearer
08-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Brent, Could someone running on the GOP ticket get on this Tax payers party? It would still be considered a third party?

The tax payers party is actually filing as an independent slate, not as a party.
they will appear on the ballot as "no affiliated party", so it doesn't matter what party the candidates belong to...

kigol
08-24-2008, 09:25 PM
:)

Sandra
08-24-2008, 09:38 PM
The tax payers party is actually filing as an independent slate, not as a party.
they will appear on the ballot as "no affiliated party", so it doesn't matter what party the candidates belong to...

How do we hop on this? Is there someone we can contact?

Shotdown1027
08-24-2008, 09:58 PM
You can contact me, Trent Hill, at thill19@lsu.edu

I didnt realize this whole thing had gone public yet, and I'd be more than happy to have some help on it.

Brent/Sandra - I'd love some help, we need to find a few electors and a filing fee. Please email me and I'll explain the full details of the thing.

Shotdown1027
08-24-2008, 10:00 PM
As for who the VP candidate is actually going to be: Whatever candidate we select must be ohk with being placed on the ballot. If he requests to be taken off, not only will HIS name be removed--but so will our entire ticket. So...we need some suggestions of VPs who will attract Republicans who are dissatisfied with McCain, who will let us put their name on the ballot, and who have name recognition.

Shotdown1027
08-24-2008, 10:05 PM
To answer Sandra's question,

This is an unaffilliated presidential-only ticket. But, if we score 5% in the election in November, it will qualify as an officially recognized party. In that unlikely scenario, we'll hold a convention and decide what to do from there.

Shotdown1027
08-24-2008, 10:14 PM
We're also going to need someone who can design and maintain a simple website.

torchbearer
08-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Sent you an email. I'll do what i can.

Sandra
08-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I emailed you with a couple of questions. This makes me hopeful we can accomplish something!

torchbearer
08-24-2008, 10:40 PM
I could have put ron paul on the ballot, i just didn't think he would want it.
I very well could be wrong. I don't see him rejecting it after the campaign response to Virginia.

Sandra
08-24-2008, 10:55 PM
I could have put ron paul on the ballot, i just didn't think he would want it.
I very well could be wrong. I don't see him rejecting it after the campaign response to Virginia.

I was hoping the Virginia thing was a light in the tunnel. I mean he didn't reject the idea.

Imperial
08-25-2008, 05:00 AM
You have a few options I would say.

The one that would grab the most votes would probably be Paul/Buchanan. If you could swing ole Pat's ok, it would be worth it.

A couple other decent ones:

Napolitano(the judge) that RP mentioned as a possible running mate

Goldwater Jr., just b/c his last name would probably be remembered

Ventura would be nice if you could get it for swinging liberals

If it wouldn't conflict with his congressional campaign, dick heller's name would work too, considering the Supreme Court case.

Shotdown1027
08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Bump?

Shotdown1027
08-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Buchanan, Goldwater Jr., and Ventura are all being considered--but Buchanan and Goldwater are the frontrunners.

Sandra
08-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Buchanan, Goldwater Jr., and Ventura are all being considered--but Buchanan and Goldwater are the frontrunners.

I was thinking that because of Buchanan's media job, he might be more interested in keeping his job. But after seeing him become more angered at the Russia/Georgia conflict and how the press was treating it, maybe he would willing to quit and run for office. He really acted sick and tired of it.

Goldwater is a great chouce too.

torchbearer
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
bump

Shotdown1027
08-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Buchanan would not need to quite his job--because it isnt an active campaign or even something he agreed to.

Sandra
08-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Buchanan would not need to quite his job--because it isnt an active campaign or even something he agreed to.

Wouldn't they have to agree to accert them though?

Shotdown1027
08-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Wouldnt who have to agree to accept Buchanan? Im not sure I understand the question.

Buchanan doesnt have to DO anything, he just has to NOT do something---that is to say, he simply has to NOT sue to have his name removed from the ballot. However, unless we get word otherwise--Buchanan is sort of a pipedream. Goldwater Jr. seems most likely, quickly followed by Gov. Gary Johnson.

We only need one elector--District 4. Plus a $500 filing fee.

Sandra
08-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Wouldnt who have to agree to accept Buchanan? Im not sure I understand the question.

Buchanan doesnt have to DO anything, he just has to NOT do something---that is to say, he simply has to NOT sue to have his name removed from the ballot. However, unless we get word otherwise--Buchanan is sort of a pipedream. Goldwater Jr. seems most likely, quickly followed by Gov. Gary Johnson.

We only need one elector--District 4. Plus a $500 filing fee.

Ohhhh , I see.

How about a chipin for the fee?

Shotdown1027
08-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Im not aware of how to make it or where I would place such a thing, but if you'll make it we can use it.

Shotdown1027
08-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Anyone who could pay for or build a website for this effort,please email me.

Sandra
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
They have them on these forums all the time to raise funds, I'll look into it.

Shotdown1027
08-25-2008, 09:36 PM
The ticket nominated will be Ron Paul/Barry Goldwater. That is a final decision.

torchbearer
08-25-2008, 09:38 PM
The ticket nominated will be Ron Paul/Barry Goldwater. That is a final decision.

I like Paul/Goldwater.
If goldwater objects, will it nullify the ballot? the only reason he may object is if mccain pressures him. goldwater did endorse mccain like a good republican. i know its just politics, but that is important to note.

torchbearer
08-25-2008, 09:41 PM
An Idea- If/when we pull this off, It may be possible to get some grassroots commercials made, and money raised to have state wide advertising to get people to vote for the ticket.

I wish you the best of luck, do you know the process very well, or have someone with you that knows how to get all this stuff filed and where to go?

torchbearer
08-25-2008, 09:42 PM
What city-region is district 4?