PDA

View Full Version : No More Property Tax Movement

RCA
08-23-2008, 08:15 PM
We should light a fire regarding property taxes. This is something that EVERYONE can relate to, having to pay property tax. There are already movements to end the income tax (fair tax, flat tax), but I don't know of any movements to end the property tax.

powerofreason
08-23-2008, 08:24 PM
The problem with that would be that property taxes pay for public schools. Try convincing the average joe we shouldn't have public schools lol.

Matt Collins
08-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Unfortunately this idea is so entrenched that it will take decades to change public opinion on, assuming we started now and had an unlimited budget.

Kotin
08-23-2008, 08:36 PM
I never understood how property taxes were even legal..

how can one truly own property if they have to pay a tax on it and if they don't pay, it gets taken away.

that is not owning property .... it is renting.

Matt Collins
08-23-2008, 08:42 PM

how can one truly own property if they have to pay a tax on it and if they don't pay, it gets taken away.

It's all about allodial title (look it up). From my understanding it started after the War For (or Against) Southern Independence. I don't know if Lincoln was the cause of the loss of allodial title, but let's blame it on him anyway :)

IChooseLiberty
08-23-2008, 08:51 PM
I perfer to call "property tax"..... "property rent"

Stop paying it and watch how quickly you're evicted off the property you think you own.

The_Orlonater
08-23-2008, 09:06 PM
I think we should end this tax. It does pay for things like public schooling, roads, and some other things. I don't think this should have anything to do with property tax, because you're renting it. You shouldn't lose your house.

I don't believe in no taxes AT ALL. I only believe in very low local community taxes.

powerofreason
08-23-2008, 09:33 PM
I think we should end this tax. It does pay for things like public schooling, roads, and some other things. I don't think this should have anything to do with property tax, because you're renting it. You shouldn't lose your house.

I don't believe in no taxes AT ALL. I only believe in very low local community taxes.

Word. Like I said though, public schools aren't going away anytime soon unfortunately :(

Kludge
08-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I perfer to call "property tax"..... "property rent"

Stop paying it and watch how quickly you're evicted off the property you think you own.

Agreed, but aside from a name change, I think a movement, even if successful, would be futile.

Government can take away land for reasons besides you not paying your rent to them. This is because the government grants rights. They will ALWAYS own your property so long as government has power.
The taxes would simply be replaced by more taxes. While I'd prefer something like a consumption or value-added tax, I don't believe it'd be worth the incredible resources to have this major law revoked.

BenjFranklin
08-24-2008, 05:38 AM
The 16th amendment was passed to allow for an income tax, since "direct taxes" were not allowed under the Constitution. I don't remember an amendment being passed to allow for property taxes, which is arguably the most direct tax of all. Does anyone know if the consitutionality of property taxes ever been challenged?

libertea
08-24-2008, 07:17 AM

Many believe that the REAL in Real Estate translates from the Spanish 'real' which means Royal. The king(government) still owns all the land.

ARealConservative
08-24-2008, 08:13 AM
The 16th amendment was passed to allow for an income tax, since "direct taxes" were not allowed under the Constitution. I don't remember an amendment being passed to allow for property taxes, which is arguably the most direct tax of all. Does anyone know if the consitutionality of property taxes ever been challenged?

the constitution was supposed to be a constraint on federal government, people were happy with their state governments and state constitutions.

Cowlesy
08-24-2008, 08:19 AM
A relative of mine believed his assessment was way too high on his land, so he built up a nice case of notes as to why it was overvalued, went in to meet with the county assessment board while dressed nicely with a shirt and tie, and got $3,600 whacked off his property taxes.

The Board was just very gracious and thankful for the presentation, and his not walking in with a battle axe to grind with them.

With home values declining very rapidly, I believe a lot of folks will be making cases that the fair market value of their property is assessed much too high.

It won't work everytime, but the more victories that we can pile up, the better.

Danke
08-24-2008, 08:36 AM
A relative of mine believed his assessment was way too high on his land, so he built up a nice case of notes as to why it was overvalued, went in to meet with the county assessment board while dressed nicely with a shirt and tie, and got $3,600 whacked off his property taxes.

The Board was just very gracious and thankful for the presentation, and his not walking in with a battle axe to grind with them.

With home values declining very rapidly, I believe a lot of folks will be making cases that the fair market value of their property is assessed much too high.

It won't work everytime, but the more victories that we can pile up, the better.

Problem is. Around here anyway, even if homes are depreciating in value, the rates are going up. :mad:

Danke
08-24-2008, 08:44 AM

The federal government does not collect property taxes, local governments do that.

But direct taxes are allowed in the Constitution. It must be by apportionment. Congress sends your state a bill, and your state decides how to raise the funds.

Problem is, congress doesn't like to be so obvious with their out of control spending. So they prefer indirect taxes and inflation.

BTW, we had an income tax before the 16th Amendment. Only a small portion of it was declared unconstitutional. And the 16th fixed that. It is and always has been an indirect tax.

amy31416
08-24-2008, 08:46 AM

I'm planning on doing this for my mother and am using the value of recent home sales in the neighborhood along with a couple other things. Any recommendations on things to include with this sort of case?

Danke
08-24-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm planning on doing this for my mother and am using the value of recent home sales in the neighborhood along with a couple other things. Any recommendations on things to include with this sort of case?

Try to find out what comparable homes around your area are paying for property taxes.

Sometimes you find a low taxed one or more (crony of assesors, etc.). Show that and they have to lower you tax too, or else it is unfair treatment, discrimination, etc.

amy31416
08-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Try to find out what comparable homes around your area are paying for property taxes.

Sometimes you find a low taxed one or more (crony of assesors, etc.). Show that and they have to lower you tax too, or else it is unfair treatment, discrimination, etc.

Thanks, I'll look for that info too.

Cowlesy
08-24-2008, 09:32 AM

Well this person has a few acres which had all been zoned as "residential", however a lot of it was swamp on which you could not build a house or structure. He took pictures of the swamp land, did an estimate of the acreage, and performed the math to recalculate his taxes as if the land was re-zoned as "wilderness" or "recreational property" or whatever.

forsmant
08-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Property taxes should expire once the deed is owned free and clear.