PDA

View Full Version : Bad News: Utah goes to McCain !!

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2008, 04:57 PM
It's official! This morning, by a vote of 70 supporters to 12 opponents, Utah's state Republican Party's Central Committee voted to adopt a proposed new "standing rule" that would apply a new twisted interpretation to our party's by-laws--an interpretation that will now bind our state's set of Republican national delegates to vote for McCain rather than Romney on their first national convention ballot.

Here is the precise text of this new standing rule:

Standing Rule

This Standing Rule has been adopted by the State Central Committee of the Utah Republican Party and shall be a binding rule of the Utah Republican Party unless and until superseded by a change in the Constitution or Bylaws of the Utah Republican Party, or by a subsequent standing rule adopted by the State Central Committee expressly revoking or modifying this Standing Rule:

It is hereby ruled by the State Central Committee of the Utah Republican Party that:

1. An ambiguity exists in the meaning of "the candidate" as it is used in Bylaw 7.0 (B) that is sufficient to have generated public controversy among Party members over the meaning and effect of Bylaw 7.0(B); and that

2. Each reference to "the candidate" in Bylaw 7.0(B) is hereby interpreted to mean a person who is a candidate for nomination on the first ballot at the National Convention at the time of that ballot, according to the rules of the Republican National Committee and any rules adopted by the National Convention; and that

3. Bylaw 7.0(B) does not require that the Utah National Convention delegates and alternates be allocated to or bound to vote on the first ballot for a person who does not meet the definition of candidacy defined in part 2 of this Rule; and that

4. Bylaw 7.0(B) does require that the Utah National Convention delegates and alternates shall be allocated to and bound to vote on the first ballot for "the candidate" as defined in part 2 of this Rule, who has received the most votes of the statewide vote in the Utah Republican Presidential Primary.

RULED this 23rd day of August, 2008, by the State Central Committee of the Utah Republican Party, meeting in South Jordan, Utah, in the presence of a quorum.

torchbearer
08-23-2008, 05:13 PM
I'd laugh in their face.

Matt Collins
08-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Oh boy... look... more whores. More people who are untrue to their principals. We sure are getting to see who the prostitutes are in this election for sure!

libertarian4321
08-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Oh boy... look... more whores. More people who are untrue to their principals. We sure are getting to see who the prostitutes are in this election for sure!

They aren't whores, they're Republicans.

You make whores look unprincipled when you compare them to Republicans!

Joseph Hart
08-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Are they only for mccain or to any candidate but romney?

Join The Paul Side
08-24-2008, 01:13 AM
If I were a Delegate, and I was told by people that I absolutely had to vote for somebody I didn't want to, I'd tell those people to kiss my............ :)

The purpose of a 'vote' is freedom of choice. If I'm not free to choose then it can't really be called a 'vote' now can it? Wake up Delegates!!!!

Grandson of Liberty
08-24-2008, 01:22 AM
"You have to vote for McCain."

"Why?"

"Because you have to."

"But why?"

"Because that's what we say."

"Shouldn't I be able to vote for who I want to vote for?"

"That's not the way it works."

"Why not?"

"Because it's not."
--------
Ridiculous- I believe I'd tell them "up your butts with coconuts."

TastyWheat
08-24-2008, 01:38 AM
The people of Utah voted for Romney so he should get those votes on the first ballot and nobody else.

devil21
08-24-2008, 02:45 AM
I could be wrong but I thought bylaws where applicable during the current election season and changes only took effect the *next* election season? IOW, whatever the original bylaw said is the rule until after the current election. Thought I saw that a bunch of times earlier in the campaign when states were trying to change bylaws to keep RP supporters out.

torchbearer
08-24-2008, 06:53 AM
I could be wrong but I thought bylaws where applicable during the current election season and changes only took effect the *next* election season? IOW, whatever the original bylaw said is the rule until after the current election. Thought I saw that a bunch of times earlier in the campaign when states were trying to change bylaws to keep RP supporters out.

In Louisiana, they just broke the rules, they didn't even change them.
Then admitted to it at the convention, with an "oh well, see you later" the illegal delegates didn't vote themselves uncredentialed, and was the jury in their own trial at the convention.
We had louisiana won for Ron Paul prior to super tuesday.
They broke 5 of their own rules to keep us from winning.

NewFederalist
08-24-2008, 06:58 AM
I am not a Republican but from what I have read above why would Ron Paul supporters remain in the GOP? It appears even when "Ron Paul Republicans" win the party finds a way to cheat them out of their victory.

VoteForRonPaul
08-24-2008, 07:23 AM
They aren't whores, they're Republicans.

You make whores look unprincipled when you compare them to some Republicans!
Well said!

Sandra
08-24-2008, 08:26 AM
In Louisiana, they just broke the rules, they didn't even change them.
Then admitted to it at the convention, with an "oh well, see you later" the illegal delegates didn't vote themselves uncredentialed, and was the jury in their own trial at the convention.
We had louisiana won for Ron Paul prior to super tuesday.
They broke 5 of their own rules to keep us from winning.

Not to mention the LAGOP's refusal to count most of the provisional votes. Almost all registrars were not contacted about those votes at all.

Dustancostine
08-24-2008, 08:27 AM
First of all, RNC rules state you cannot change the rules for the current election during the process. So the rules will have no effect this time.

And second, No candidates are bound. A state party rule cannot force someone to do something at a National level.

Morally candidates are bound if that is what the state rule was before the process, but legally no one is bound. I believe it even says this in the RNC bylaws.

TastyWheat
08-25-2008, 01:19 AM
It's not a rule change. It's a clarification of an ambiguity. It's just like lawyers/politicians, when you don't like the language redefine the terms.