PDA

View Full Version : any web genuises out there?..... can you pull this one off?

Roxi
08-23-2008, 03:06 PM
ok so forever now i have been thinking about this website that we really need and have brought it up randomly but never posted a thread about it so hear me out

a business rating website

like if i have something i need to buy (coins, guns, gas, whatever) i should be able to go to a website, search that business and find out what (liberty minded) people are saying about it..

we could give each business a liberty rating or something similar... when we were staying in NH there was this gas station, the manager and clerks were ron paul supporters, and gave us free drinks/coffee.... so i would drive out of my way to go there instead of the gas station down the street where the guys were unfriendly asshats

we could also have some sort of a user honor system, to avoid businesses going on and talking good about themselves....

and share stories... etc

freemarketforliberty.com is sort of similar but as it is, only business owners can add their businesses... this site should be for consumers to add their experiences... i realize there are already similar sites out there, but i trust RP supporters more than the average person... so it should be liberty oriented as well

so what do you guys think?

anyone out there think they could pull something like this off?
you might even be able to make some money in advertising for the businesses or something

and create a graphic that the business owner could display in a window or something to show that they are part of the "liberty business network" or w/e

i have other ideas so if someone wants to do this let me know

rpfan2008
08-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Kudos to you for having this thought!!!

I personally do support such an idea but this is probably what Dr. Paul calls 'collectivism'.
But fighting collectivism with the same is quite acceptable for me.

just my 2 cents.

ItsTime
08-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Ya I could do that. The hard part is to get people to sign up their businesses. How do you suggest we do that?

RickyJ
08-23-2008, 03:23 PM
anyone out there think they could pull something like this off?

Yeah, I can do it. But I can't do it for free. Sorry.

amy31416
08-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I like it. And I'm sure businesses would sign up if it could potentially get them more business.

Roxi
08-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Ya I could do that. The hard part is to get people to sign up their businesses. How do you suggest we do that?

well its more about consumers sharing their shopping experiences.... so we wouldn't really want business to add themselves (which they could add themselves, but we would want a consumer report card type thing for each one)

that way... say i decide to buy some coins.... but i don't know which coin dealers in my area are asshats, and which ones are cool
so i can go to this website and look through the user reviews of coin dealers in my area and see which ones liberty minded people like RP supporters are saying about them....

it would take some time to make it big, and i would definitely promote it in my area.

maybe for promotion a flyer could be made that says something like "had a good or bad shopping experience lately? share it with others at www.libertybusinesses.com"

etc.... i have all these ideas in my head but it seems really hard to explain them in words on here and get what i mean across

Roxi
08-23-2008, 03:45 PM
i would also nominate myself to be a "secret shopper" in SW MO and ARK... i have PLENTY to say about businesses i have shopped at, and i love to promote a business that i have had a good experience at

so like everytime you shop somewhere (generally small businesses) and had a good experience or a bad one, i could log on to this site, and add that business

Roxi
08-23-2008, 03:47 PM
if i could do this myself i would, i think there is a potential for it to even be profitable to the webhost... but i can only do basic sites like this one (i did this for my moms farm)

www.burksfarm.com

UtahApocalypse
08-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Sounds somewhat similar to: http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList/
This though we be more liberty based im guessing. Good idea, think could come up with some cool stuff for it. maybe make it a sub-part of freemarketforliberty.com

Kalifornia
08-23-2008, 04:09 PM
if i could do this myself i would, i think there is a potential for it to even be profitable to the webhost... but i can only do basic sites like this one (i did this for my moms farm)

www.burksfarm.com

Um. what is the diff btw a marenna and a Great Pyrrenees? They look exactly the same, and in fact, act exactly the same...

Petar
08-23-2008, 04:49 PM
My plan is to add a social networking site to www.freemarketforliberty.com in order to allow consumers to share information about the market place, but also so that Revolutionaries could use it to strengthen general social bonds amongst each other.

Listings can at least be validated as legitimate liberty supporting organizations when a tool is added that will allow listing owners to show how much they have donated towards liberty, but how would I ever validate a users praise or criticism against a business if I allow users to post such information?

Joseph Hart
08-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I was thinking about making site like that... I'm in! I can design!

Roxi
08-23-2008, 05:42 PM
My plan is to add a social networking site to www.freemarketforliberty.com in order to allow consumers to share information about the market place, but also so that Revolutionaries could use it to strengthen general social bonds amongst each other.

Listings can at least be validated as legitimate liberty supporting organizations when a tool is added that will allow listing owners to show how much they have donated towards liberty, but how would I ever validate a users praise or criticism against a business if I allow users to post such information?

im not sure, maybe a user rating system, maybe having them show proof they shopped there by filling out info, or having a reciept number, or pic of them shopping at the business or pic of the reciept or something....

constitutional
08-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Good idea but it'll never work. How do you plan on tying together "liberty" and buying a product? If you plan on writing they outsource their work or import their products... don't bother. That's isolationism.

What stops non-liberty minded people from writing reviews if the website?

Roxi
08-23-2008, 05:46 PM
I was thinking about making site like that... I'm in! I can design!

you....are....awesome

RickyJ
08-23-2008, 05:49 PM
im not sure, maybe a user rating system, maybe having them show proof they shopped there by filling out info, or having a reciept number, or pic of them shopping at the business or pic of the reciept or something....

If this is going to be done then you have to have a user rating system. Something like one to five stars with comments. There is no need to verify if someone is a real customer or not. That would be more trouble than it is worth. Most people won't waste time to write a review if they weren't a customer. Also it would be stupid to limit this site to "liberty" businesses, whatever the heck that is. Just a simple customer review of the business would suffice. People can then decide for themselves if the business is worth their business.

constitutional
08-23-2008, 05:53 PM
People can then decide for themselves if the business is worth their business.

But what incentives do people have by checking ratings on your web site as oppose hundreds of popular websites out there?

How do you plan on conveying your liberty message to buyers looking at the ratings? This simply looks like another website like Google business review...

How would your website be different from Google Business Review ? http://mashable.com/2007/06/19/google-maps-business-reviews/

RickyJ
08-23-2008, 05:55 PM
But what incentives do people have by checking ratings on your web site as oppose hundreds of popular websites out there?

How do you plan on conveying your liberty message to buyers looking at the ratings?

There are no incentives whatsoever. It will just be one more of the thousands of sites like that already out there. That's why I wouldn't waste my time making such a site.

Petar
08-23-2008, 06:14 PM
If this is going to be done then you have to have a user rating system. Something like one to five stars with comments. There is no need to verify if someone is a real customer or not. That would be more trouble than it is worth. Most people won't waste time to write a review if they weren't a customer. Also it would be stupid to limit this site to "liberty" businesses, whatever the heck that is. Just a simple customer review of the business would suffice. People can then decide for themselves if the business is worth their business.

Actually, I wasn't concerned with: "how can I prove that a reviewer is a real customer?" I was however concerned with: "how can I make sure that a reviewer will not post a negative lie about a business on my site?"

I've thought about it, and I think that the answer is that I have to give the listing owner the ability to respond to any feedback that anyone posts as well.

This has got to be the best all around balanced solution I think.

Also, www.freemarketforliberty.com is going to validate liberty supporting businesses by providing listing owners with a tool that will allow them to display how much money, if any, that they have donated to the CFL or individual liberty candidates.

This will provide liberty supporting individuals with an incentive to support these businesses if possible.

Roxi
08-23-2008, 06:56 PM
well, yes i would want to see it be different from the other websites out there... i would want the opinions to come from people within the liberty network because i trust them more, i mean there are websites out there circle around through people like us, like drudge, and libertyforums, and a million others im sure, it could be promoted just between ron paul sites and liberty sites at first make it obvious that it is liberty oriented....

Sally08
08-23-2008, 07:32 PM
How would this differ from Rate Your Teacher, Rate Your Doctor, Better Business Bureau, Rip-Off Report, Amazon/EBay feedback, etc.? Aren't EBay sellers upset about recent changes that were made (from feedback to a rating system??)

Also, what are the risks of lawsuits against the site (or the posters) for negative posts?

Life Alert Responds to Consumer Complaints Life Alert Drops 2 of 3 Claims Against Consumer Site ... Life Alert has responded to the consumer complaints on the ConsumerAffairs.com Web site. ...
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/age/lifealert_responds.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/
Small Claims Guide | Class Actions | Lemon Law | FAQ | Resources | Newsletters | Spanish

RickyJ
08-23-2008, 08:11 PM
well, yes i would want to see it be different from the other websites out there... i would want the opinions to come from people within the liberty network because i trust them more, i mean there are websites out there circle around through people like us, like drudge, and libertyforums, and a million others im sure, it could be promoted just between ron paul sites and liberty sites at first make it obvious that it is liberty oriented....

If there is enough real interest I can get a small site going that can expand later if necessary. You can promote it at Ron Paul sites and the CFL.

Sally08
08-23-2008, 08:30 PM

Obviously, on RPFs alone, posters have *drastically* different beliefs about whose opinions are valid:D

Wouldn't you also need a service to evaluate whether a person's opinions are respected or not and by whom;)

Isn't that effectively what NolanChart does with its columnist questionnaire?

Joseph Hart
08-23-2008, 08:43 PM
BTW: http://www.madeinusa.com/

Joseph Hart
08-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Isolationism can be bad...
http://www.madeinusa.com/average_joe/images/2006_2_15_A.jpg

Roxi
08-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Obviously, on RPFs alone, posters have *drastically* different beliefs about whose opinions are valid:D

Wouldn't you also need a service to evaluate whether a person's opinions are respected or not and by whom;)

Isn't that effectively what NolanChart does with its columnist questionnaire?

yes that service would be fantastic :) thats exactly what i meant by user rating system or referral system.... a grade could even be made on someone by their length of time registered on the site, and referrals, etc

Roxi
08-24-2008, 05:43 AM
i don't think business review is isolation, and i don't think isolation is bad when your talking about limiting your product or idea to a small group of people. (look at left handed products, you could say the same thing about those companies)

Sally08
08-24-2008, 06:13 AM
yes that service would be fantastic :) thats exactly what i meant by user rating system or referral system.... a grade could even be made on someone by their length of time registered on the site, and referrals, etc

Somehow, I think you missed my sarcasm.

Wouldn't the person who creates the "grading system", as well as the person/program evaluating the person submitting the business rating, be the same as the CEO of any current MSM reporting system?

Or the human or automated censors on the many political forums, YouTube, and Digg?

Isn't that why there are already TV, radio, and Internet media that are identified as having a liberal or conservative bias via an unspecified "grading system"?

Nolan Chart has a specific set of questions to "label" the columnist, but I don't believe there is formal blocking, unless the columnist violates the Terms of Service.

Aren't you proposing a formal *blocking* system, because people don't agree with your viewpoints? Is that the Ron Paul message?

Why should people have to believe in your political viewpoints to post feedback about whether the service provided by a business was horrible or its product was faulty?

Isn't the issue of blocking what RPFs admins have had to deal with all along, as to when, if ever, it is appropriate to ban someone due to their posts?

nayjevin
08-24-2008, 11:47 AM
GOOD IDEA - WRONG DIRECTION

leave it totally open for anyone to review -- and let each individual person customize their experience on that website through their own filters -- ie:

a person signs up for the website and begins browsing businesses -- lets say the person searches for a coin business - all the coin businesses that have reviews show up. the user looks through the reviews and businesses to make a decision based on those reviews.

if, after shopping, the user comes back and rates the review 1 star, then all those people who reviewed that business as 5 stars would be given less credence (or voting weight, multiplier) -- but only to the user who voted just 1 star, and only to calculate what 'suggested' businesses to list for the user when 'let consumerreview.com make suggestions based on my ratings' is turned on by the user... see where i'm going with this?

it doesn't have to be isolationist or anti-liberty -- in fact the best 'social networking' / 'web 2.0' sites naturally operate in a manner nearing anarchy - youtube, facebook, myspace. i would say model it like that, and use c-net as an example of a good reviews model.

it would take a long time to get enough reviews - but starting within this crowd i think they'd be good ones.

could even have a more complex voting system, for instance:

customer service 1-10
convenience 1-10
quality 1-10
degree to which the company's ideals align with your own 1-10

and in addition the user could use sliders to choose how important each one is, so that suggestions can be tailored - for instance, i don't care about convenience, i just want a principled company, so i want greater weight given to the opinions of those who agree with me on the degree to which various ompanies fit their ideals (wal-mart haters unite) but don't agree with how convenient it is than the other way around.

er stuff.

nayjevin
08-24-2008, 11:50 AM
this could encourage people to look more into the ethics of various companies.

jjockers
08-24-2008, 11:55 AM
similar to http://www.resellerratings.com/

nayjevin
08-24-2008, 12:46 PM
similar to http://www.resellerratings.com/

yeah, that's it -- the thing that this movement could add to a site like that is the ability to filter results based on company -- if i wan't to boycot sony, for instance, any sony product or product from a sony subsidiary will not show up... or i could turn on a function that shows a rating for the product that reflects what i and my friends think about the company that is ultimately responsible for it being on the market.

Sally08
08-24-2008, 02:18 PM
GOOD IDEA - WRONG DIRECTION

a person signs up for the website

You lose me right there.

I even used an "anonymous" e-mail address to sign up for CFL.

None of the other similar evaluation sites require registration, unless to *post*.

That is the same for RPFs and DP, as well.

FWIW, the only time I go to such sites is if I'm contemplating posting a negative comment.

nayjevin
08-24-2008, 02:40 PM

Roxi
08-24-2008, 02:41 PM
well i agree you shouldn't have to register on the site if your just browsing through the businesses, but if you want to post feedback about a business then yes, you should have to register

Aren't you proposing a formal *blocking* system, because people don't agree with your viewpoints? Is that the Ron Paul message?and no, you would only be blocking certain companies from your own account, you wouldn't be blocking anyones opinions about any given business...

Roxi
08-25-2008, 08:21 AM
.j

nayjevin
03-19-2009, 05:55 PM
bump

see:
Use Your Purchasing Power to Promote What You Believe In:
http://tinyurl.com/c2utan

nayjevin
03-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Wouldn't the person who creates the "grading system", as well as the person/program evaluating the person submitting the business rating, be the same as the CEO of any current MSM reporting system?

ya, there shouldn't be one central grading system - there should be a way to view all reviews and make your own decision, and there should be a way for the site to show each individual only those companies that fit their 'profile' filters if they so choose.

there's a way to do this and protect individual liberty at the same time -- just because government doesn't work doesn't mean endeavors of organized voluntary cooperation using technology are bound to fail.