PDA

View Full Version : PSL, M1A, or AR-15

Uriel999
08-23-2008, 03:07 AM
I am thinking about buying one or the other. My reasons for liking the psl are the cheap entry level, for 900 bucks you get the rifle and scope and ammo is dirt cheap. However, the finish isn't that impressive and as far as shooting I hear mixed reviews, some say its incredibly accurate while others scoff at it. The way I see it though is for the same price as just the m1a though I could already have a scope and get plenty of practice shooting it. I could put a few thousand rounds into the psl before I could afford to maybe get a decent scope for the m1a. Also .308 ammo is stupid pricey. However, at the same time the m1a, well its a freaking m1a! Or should I go ahead and just an an ar-15 for now because of the almost certain reintroduction of the assault gun ban. Load up on high caps and get my long ranged rifle later? I am fairly nervous about new assault rifle bans and must consider that.

newyearsrevolution08
08-23-2008, 03:09 AM
I will be one of those people..

get a remington 700 in .308 and make your shots actually count.

Uriel999
08-23-2008, 03:26 AM
I will be one of those people..

get a remington 700 in .308 and make your shots actually count.

Not a fan of the m1a? Also to be honest, your right the Remington 700 is a fantastic weapon, I should have put that up as well. However, unless I was getting an m1a with the prices of .308 ammo that is a round I'd prefer to avoid. As well, when the gun ban hammer comes down, a remington 700 would probably be low on the list and will probably be just as easily available in 15-20 years as they are to get now.

Kalifornia
08-23-2008, 03:53 AM
what about an m1-garand?
If you join the right clubs, you can get a refurbed m1 garand for about 500 bucks, 30.06 is an effective and common round (think millions of deer rifles), and is likely to be the last kind of weapon to be banhammered outside of 12 ga shotgun.

Gideon
08-23-2008, 12:31 PM
But one can never have too many AR-15s. Militia are the trainers after all.

The AR platform is the most accessorizable in the history of rifles, spare parts and ammo are readily available, and EVERY U.S. military veteran over the last 30 years is at least familiar with it.

I am not in the market for any more non-standard, com-bloc caliber rifles like the 7.62/54, although 7.62/39 is still relatively plentiful.

Anything in .308 is great, but the ammo is reaching a cost prohibitive 1 FRN/shot.

Commercial 5.56/.223 is still available for about 30/100 of a FRN.

YMMV

youngbuck
08-24-2008, 08:11 AM
It all depends on what you intend on having it for, and what ranges you plan on most likely using it at.

For close range <200M get an AK.

I hate AR-15s, but that's just me.

M1A with good optics is a great longer range rifle / sniper rifle.

The PSL is more of a designated marksman rifle, not a sniper rifle. You really need to real soviet sniper ammo for it perform well. That ammo is very hard to find. With bulk crappy ammo, you can probably expect 3MOA from it with some practice.

JRegs85
08-24-2008, 09:35 AM
I am thinking about buying one or the other. My reasons for liking the psl are the cheap entry level, for 900 bucks you get the rifle and scope and ammo is dirt cheap. However, the finish isn't that impressive and as far as shooting I hear mixed reviews, some say its incredibly accurate while others scoff at it. The way I see it though is for the same price as just the m1a though I could already have a scope and get plenty of practice shooting it. I could put a few thousand rounds into the psl before I could afford to maybe get a decent scope for the m1a. Also .308 ammo is stupid pricey. However, at the same time the m1a, well its a freaking m1a! Or should I go ahead and just an an ar-15 for now because of the almost certain reintroduction of the assault gun ban. Load up on high caps and get my long ranged rifle later? I am fairly nervous about new assault rifle bans and must consider that.

An AWB will probably include the M1A.

Gideon
08-24-2008, 10:25 PM
An AWB will probably include the M1A.

Any AWB does not apply to BoR Article 2 militia.

Uriel999
08-24-2008, 11:16 PM
I've been thinking and probably will go ar-15 for now and longer ranged rifle later. :)