PDA

View Full Version : City gas pumps dry up for DNC vehicles

IPSecure
08-22-2008, 01:54 PM
City gas pumps dry up for DNC vehicles
Link (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/29/city-gas-pumps-dry-dnc-vehicles/)

Democratic National Convention officials abruptly stopped the practice of gassing up at city pumps this afternoon amid ongoing confusion about the practice, which began long before a contract for the fuel was finalized.

The arrangement had sparked an outcry after representatives of the city's Public Works Department first said that convention planners would not be charged the 40.4 cents a gallon gasoline tax that everyday consumers pay.

At least 61 vehicles being used by planners of the Democratic National Convention have been gassed up at city government pumps in the past three months, records provided in response to a request from the Rocky showed.

Representatives of both the Denver 2008 Host Committee and the Democratic National Convention Committee refused to disclose who has been driving the vehicles, which are part of a fleet provided by General Motors.

micahnelson
08-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I found a brilliant post covering this on Micahnelson.com...

DNC Planners Become Tax Evaders, In the Name of Safety.
July 23, 2008 – 7:20 pm

Taking a cue from their brothers and sisters across the aisle, Democrats have finally made energy policy a security issue. Does this mean that they will soon be launching their own preemptive war? Maybe, but for now they have decided that it would be safer for them to use tax free gasoline.

Yes that’s right. The committee planning the DNC convention in Denver has been topping off at city and state fueling centers- paying pretax prices for their tanks full of unleaded. When the public caught on, they were none too pleased. After hours of stammering, the official comment was that the committee was unaware that they had to pay taxes. I know a bunch of people in New Hampshire who feel the same way, but are less successful with this rationale.

When it appeared that this answer wasn’t cutting it- the committee fell back on the RNC’s old war horse of justification. Nine Eleven.

The host committee, which is responsible for raising money to put on the convention, is using the city’s pumps “for safety and security reasons,” Lopez said.

“We know the gas is not tainted,” he said. “We use it as a safety and security measure.”

You see, in a post 9-11 world we can’t just use the gas that everyone else uses- we have to use special cheaper gas. If I ran a nonprofit in that area- I think I’d want to be more secure too. Think they would let me gas up in the private filling stations? Not likely. One set of rules for the party members, another set of rules for the citizens. Is this the Democrat party, or the Inner Party?

The Source: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/22/city-gives-dnc-host-committee-pass-gas-tax/

IPSecure
08-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Nice!