PDA

View Full Version : McCain On Reinstituting A Military Draft: ‘I Don’t Disagree’

Cinderella
08-22-2008, 08:32 AM
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/08/20/mccain-support-draft/

Today at a townhall meeting, an audience member praised Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) for his vow to “follow bin Laden to the gates of hell.” After a long question about veterans’ care, the questioner said she believed we needed to reinstate the draft, to which McCain seemed to readily agree:

QUESTIONER: If we don’t reenact the draft, I don’t think we’ll have anyone to chase Bin Laden to the gates of hell.

[Appaluse]

MCCAIN: Ma’am, let me say that I don’t disagree with anything you said.

***********u can watch the video by clicking the link and read the rest of the article......i wont be going anywhere to fight or assist in any war....**********

Truth Warrior
08-22-2008, 08:40 AM
John sure would not want to be deterred by anything as silly as Amendment XIII, now would he? :p :rolleyes:

Cinderella
08-22-2008, 08:41 AM
John sure would not want to be deterred by anything as silly as Amendment XIII, now would he? :p :rolleyes:

silly question, but whats that?

Andrew-Austin
08-22-2008, 08:49 AM
If we don’t reenact the draft, I don’t think we’ll have anyone to chase Bin Laden to the gates of hell.

.................................. Wowza.

Well I hope he was just pandering, and did not really mean it with certaintity. Its not beyond McCrazy to appeal to such ignorant fervor.

The ammendment that abolished slavery. And yes of course conscription is slavery. McCain is saying here he is pro-slavery.

Number19
08-22-2008, 09:09 AM
It's a difference of chattel slavery and state slavery.

Kade
08-22-2008, 09:10 AM
You want to talk about serious legal activism, look at what the good ol' Conservative Judges decided about Selective Service in regards to the Thirteenth Amendment:

Butler v. Perry:

The amendment was adopted with reference to conditions existing since the foundation of our government, and the term 'involuntary servitude' was intended to cover those forms of compulsory labor akin to African slavery which, in practical operation, would tend to produce like undesirable results. It introduced no novel doctrine with respect of services always treated as exceptional, and certainly was not intended to interdict enforcement of those duties which individuals owe to the state, such as services in the army, militia, on the jury, etc.

mediahasyou
08-22-2008, 09:14 AM
13th Amendment

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime where of the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

A military draft is slavery/involuntary servitude.

Kade
08-22-2008, 09:15 AM
13th Amendment

A military draft is slavery.

Tell that to your conservative judges.

Truth Warrior
08-22-2008, 09:22 AM

Amendment XIII

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Number19
08-22-2008, 09:29 AM
You want to talk about serious legal activism, look at what the good ol' Conservative Judges decided about Selective Service in regards to the Thirteenth Amendment:

Butler v. Perry:

The amendment was adopted with reference to conditions existing since the foundation of our government, and the term 'involuntary servitude' was intended to cover those forms of compulsory labor akin to African slavery which, in practical operation, would tend to produce like undesirable results. It introduced no novel doctrine with respect of services always treated as exceptional, and certainly was not intended to interdict enforcement of those duties which individuals owe to the state, such as services in the army, militia, on the jury, etc.Thanks. Good reference.

Truth Warrior
08-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Screw the SCOTUS too. :p

"The system is corrupt, beyond redemption, and is not worthy of my support!"

Bruno
08-22-2008, 09:35 AM
.................................. Wowza.

Well I hope he was just pandering, and did not really mean it with certaintity. Its not beyond McCrazy to appeal to such ignorant fervor.

The ammendment that abolished slavery. And yes of course conscription is slavery. McCain is saying here he is pro-slavery.

I heard him back in April say basically the same thing. I can't recall the exact wording, but the question was also about the draft at a Town Hall meeting (the one where someone asked if he had called his wife a c*nt). He responded by saying that was didn't like the draft "in its current format, because it was unfair".