PDA

View Full Version : I.O.U.S.A was pretty good

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I just got back from the movie.
It was really well put together in my opinion and the part they picked with Ron Paul was perfect. The movie was very critical of the federal reserve. Remember the clip with Paul where he told Greenspan: "If this was my patient it would be dead" or something like that referring to how off point they had been on inflation every year? That was the clip.
Anyway I learned some things I did not know about trade deficits and whatnot. It was money well spent to see this.

I didn't sit through the whole town hall becuase my dad was with me and he got bored with it. I kinda did too. Warren Buffett was really annoying, so was...surprise, surprise, the guy from AARP.

I don't have a lot of time this second and I am sure someone else can give a better review.

Printo
08-21-2008, 09:02 PM
It was a great movie. Very educational. This movie should be shown in every classroom in America. I stayed through the entire town hall segment. Buffet was annoying but I respect his optimism. Without hope, we will never be able to successfully work towards solving this problem.

muzzled dogg
08-21-2008, 09:05 PM
the town hall part sucked

i clapped when the peter f. peterson ceo said congressmen used to be regular ass people that were politicians part-time

i scoffed @ a lotta the tax talk, particularly warren buffet's womb story

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 09:07 PM
It was a great movie. Very educational. This movie should be shown in every classroom in America.

Thats an excellent idea. The movie is something high schoolers would really appreciate that would actually wake them up. Getting it shown in our schools, when it comes on video, is something grassroots could actually work on and most likely achieve in a lot of localities.

nelsonwinters
08-21-2008, 09:48 PM
I would appreciate it if any of you that has seen the film already tell me if the following flyer would be appropriate to hand out to people leaving the theater.

<a href="http://operationeducation.org/debt/oe_flyer.pdf">http://operationeducation.org/debt/oe_flyer.pdf</a>

Thanks,

-Nelson

muzzled dogg
08-21-2008, 09:52 PM
yeah nelson

bucfish
08-21-2008, 10:12 PM
It Was Awesome and people really loved our lit we gave them, WOOHOO!!!

raystone
08-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Just got back too, surprised there didn't seem to more activists or Liberty Campaigners in the audience. For example, I was the only one who booed when the movie mentioned the creation of the fed in 1913. Maybe everyone was being polite :)

A few in the audience clapped in reaction to panel comments later regarding slimey politicians, etc.

On the movie: The movie ran us through 4 "chapters" . 1. Debt 2. Trade Deficit 3. Savings 4. Leadership

1. Debt: What you might expect... how we got here, what it means to future generations...
2. Trade Deficit: Yes, we are the largest debtor nation, by an extreme amount, yada, yada, yada
3. Savings, how Americans stopped saving..
4. Leaderhip: How our elected officials don't have the balls to tell it like it is.

The movie gave no proposed solutions.

I agree with the OP it didn't put the Fed in a positive light. To the contrary, it showed a clip of Jon Stewart grilling Greenspan, you can see it here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x56MpWZh88s

From 1:40 to 2:50 minus the text added in the middle was the part in the movie.

Pete Peterson, during the following panel discussion, didn't spin his head 360 degrees, or take a cell phone call from the illuminati.

He did, however, propose this: Mandatory savings accounts for every American citizen. 1-3%, not controlled by the government. But would go to private investments, like overseas funds or international markets ! Not sure how this would help the US manufacturing base, but anyway..

Personal Comments on the panel:

Warren Buffet - I used to like that guy until he complained tonight he wasn't being taxed enough.
David Walker - tell us, what's it going to be ? Cut spending or raise taxes ?? Until you take a stand, you are impotent !
Bill Niskanen, Cato Institute, Chairman - Smart guy - thinktank smart
Bill Novelli, AARP CEO - Party line for his contituents
Pete Peterson - misnamed Warren Buffet Warren Rudman by mistake - Pete needs to be put out to pasture.

BTW. two fellow Liberty Campaigners took the initiative to hand out brochures outside the cinema and outside the theatre complex describing real answers to the federal debt. We all know what those are! Kudos to Adam and Andrew !

Brian Defferding
08-21-2008, 10:32 PM
All great things to hear. Many people on here, many whom I'm sure have never seen IOUSA, were panicking because of the Council of Foreign Relations connection or some shit - I'm glad to read from people who actually watched it that it's not as propaganda as it's hyped to be. I plan on seeing this sometime; I don't live in a city it where it will be playing in the theatre so I'll just wait for the DVD.

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
All great things to hear. Many people on here, many whom I'm sure have never seen IOUSA, were panicking because of the Council of Foreign Relations connection or some shit - I'm glad to read from people who actually watched it that it's not as propaganda as it's hyped to be. I plan on seeing this sometime; I don't live in a city it where it will be playing in the theatre so I'll just wait for the DVD.

No propaganda as far as I could tell in the actual movie. It was really excellent. Although when it talked about Clinton's surpluses it did not mention the fact he borrowed from social security, which would have added to the movie's theme.'

EDIT

Pete Peterson, during the following panel discussion, didn't spin his head 360 degrees, or take a cell phone call from the illuminati.

He did both. You just missed it. You just don't have the eye for spotting reptilians like I do. ;)

Personal Comments on the panel:

Warren Buffet - I used to like that guy until he complained tonight he wasn't being taxed enough.
David Walker - tell us, what's it going to be ? Cut spending or raise taxes ?? Until you take a stand, you are impotent !
Bill Niskanen, Cato Institute, Chairman - Smart guy - thinktank smart
Bill Novelli, AARP CEO - Party line for his contituents
Pete Peterson - misnamed Warren Buffet Warren Rudman by mistake - Pete needs to be put out to pasture.

I saw the first 1/2
Warren Buffet - I did not think he added much to the discussion. He acted like there was no problem at all and that everything woudl be just fine with our economy. "Its still growing but at 1%" he said...touting the white house's line for them.

David Walker - I liked him but I did not see he offered any solutions.

Bill Niskanen - excellent.

Bill Novelli - what he said. But I would go to the extent to say his presence on the panel was pointless.

Pete Peterson - too much of a big government guy imo. He wanted mandatory savings accounts. I had no idea how he was justifying these by saying that they would be managed overseas. I guess he was trying to say they would not be managed by an incompetent government bureaucracy.

JS4Pat
08-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Lost all respect for Warren Buffet after watching the pannel discussion.

Film was great! Identified the problems - but didn't really propose solutions.

We need to recruit David Walker to run for President in 2012!

Omphfullas Zamboni
08-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Hello moviegoers,

Does anybody know when this film will hit DVDs?

Thank you for the reply. Have a great day.

Regards,
Omphfullas Zamboni