PDA

View Full Version : Growing up I was told that marijuana laws were stupid

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 01:20 PM
I got the urge to write my view on drugs based on my life story. I was curious if anyone else had similiar experiences.

As a kid as young as 11 years old my dad always taught me and my sister that marijuana laws were dumb and that done in moderation it was better for you than alcohol - he used a lot of Paulian arguments about personal responsibility and parental responsibility.
My father does not drink and he does not do drugs.

Turns out I ended up being a drug user from the time I was 14-17 years old. I smoked marijuana and used LCD and pills. Nothing to heavy. My parents did not like it but were afraid if they were to harsh I would have ran away so they just showed me constant love and affection.

At 17 I stopped using them. Reason #1 I felt bad for letting down such awesome parents #2 I realized how stupid most of my friends were #3 I grew up becuase I was allowed to get it out of my system #4 I had HONEST parents who did not blame others for me being stupid. #1&4 are key.

My sister never ended up getting into drugs even though she was parented the same way I was.

I found out my father also use to use drugs, he did from the ages 16-early 20's. His brother and sister never used them. He grew out of it and also had a loving, honest home. My mother was a church girl that never did anything bad. They met in their late 20's and our still together.

Me and my father both turned out to be good people. We are very similar.

My point is that no matter what you do certain people are just more likely to try certain things. I think if I was told that drugs the root of all evil and had parents that disowned me I may have been more likely to NOT straighten up my act and would have relied on people who accepted me for who I was, in turn, they would have been worse influences.

I no longer use any drugs becuase I like to feel complete. Its not becuase they are illegal or becuase they have bad effects on my body, or becuase of DARE or becuase of other anti-drug campaigns...all things which I still luagh at for their ineffectiveness.

Note also that I grew up in a 2 parent house hold and had an awesome extended family. My dad and I are literally best friends, I am 24 now. I think family and love, whether its 2 parents or grandparents or uncles or whatever, is key. Surround your kids with adults who really love them. I was and am lucky to have this.

Truth Warrior
08-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Growing up I was told that marijuana laws were stupid

Your parents told you correctly.<IMHO> ( As a parent )

However, that does NOT make drug use a "good" choice nor decision. ;)

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
08-21-2008, 01:48 PM
I got the urge to write my view on drugs based on my life story. I was curious if anyone else had similiar experiences.

As a kid as young as 11 years old my dad always taught me and my sister that marijuana laws were dumb and that done in moderation it was better for you than alcohol - he used a lot of Paulian arguments about personal responsibility and parental responsibility.

Turns out I ended up being a drug user from the time I was 14-17 years old. I smoked marijuana and used LCD and pills. Nothing to heavy. My parents did not like it but were afraid if they were to harsh I would have ran away so they just showed me constant love and affection.

At 17 I stopped using them. Reason #1 I felt bad for letting down such awesome parents #2 I realized how stupid most of my friends were #3 I grew up becuase I was allowed to get it out of my system #4 I had HONEST parents who did not blame others for me being stupid. #1&4 are key.

My sister never ended up getting into drugs even though she was parented the same way I was.

I found out my father also use to use drugs, he did from the ages 16-early 20's. His brother and sister never used them. He grew out of it and also had a loving, honest home. My mother was a church girl that never did anything bad. They met in their late 20's and our still together.

My point is that no matter what you do certain people are just more likely to try certain things. I think if I was told that drugs the root of all evil and had parents that disowned me I may have been more likely to NOT straighten up my act and would have relied on people who accepted me for who I was, in turn, they would have been worse influences.

I no longer use any drugs becuase I like to feel complete. Its not becuase they are illegal or becuase they have bad effects on my body, or becuase of DARE or becuase of other anti-drug campaigns...all things which I still luagh at for their ineffectiveness.

Note also that I grew up in a 2 parent house hold and had an awesome extended family. My dad and I are literally best friends, I am 24 now. I think family and love, whether its 2 parents or grandparents or uncles or whatever, is key. Surround your kids with adults who really love them. I was and am lucky to have this.

While drug laws are stupid, we should obey them. When the laws are changed, we shouldn't drink or take drugs. We should be sober at all times if that is possible. The point isn't how good marijuana is compared to liquor, its that the laws are stupid. We need to put murderers, rapists and pedophiles in prison, not pot smokers.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
08-21-2008, 01:53 PM
While drug laws are stupid, we should obey them.When has obedience gotten us anywhere?

Kotin
08-21-2008, 02:04 PM
When has obedience gotten us anywhere?

amen.

heh

I don't hold these laws in high regard because I know whom they help and whom they hurt.

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Growing up I was told that marijuana laws were stupid

Your parents told you correctly.<IMHO> ( As a parent )

However, that does NOT make drug use a "good" choice nor decision. ;)

Exactly, but I was just saying I would have probably made these choices no matter how I was brought up and that my parents were so honest and loving towards me made me realize the truth sooner and I ended up better for it.
I don't think I would tell my kids this at that young of an age but I was very mature and reasonable and moral when I was 11-12, actually.
I got less mature and more reckless as I got older, funny how that worked! lol

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 02:23 PM
While drug laws are stupid, we should obey them. When the laws are changed, we shouldn't drink or take drugs. We should be sober at all times if that is possible. The point isn't how good marijuana is compared to liquor, its that the laws are stupid. We need to put murderers, rapists and pedophiles in prison, not pot smokers.

Thats your opinion. I don't agree. I think recreational drugs are fine and can be therapeutic. I don't use them anymore but I drink once in a great while. It helps me relax and be more social.

Ozwest
08-21-2008, 02:37 PM
berrybunches,

Recreational use of illegal substances is normal.

Trance Dance Master
08-21-2008, 03:00 PM
LCD? Is that different from LSD?

Dr.3D
08-21-2008, 03:04 PM

Well, they might be similar.

LCD doesn't light up but rather just gets darker and one needs to pass light through it to make it show colors. (Like the displays on TVs and wristwatches.)

LSD is psychedelic with lots of colors and no light required. (Like listening to music and seeing it's colors.)

:D

Truth Warrior
08-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Exactly, but I was just saying I would have probably made these choices no matter how I was brought up and that my parents were so honest and loving towards me made me realize the truth sooner and I ended up better for it.
I don't think I would tell my kids this at that young of an age but I was very mature and reasonable and moral when I was 11-12, actually.
I got less mature and more reckless as I got older, funny how that worked! lol Teen rebellion against parental authority is just another natural and normal part of growing up. ;) We parents just hope that you survive the rebellion phase. :)

shaunish
08-21-2008, 03:29 PM

I am 24, and we have almost the same identical story. I really think our parents too the appropriate approach.

I still smoke, but only once in a while at social gatherings or if I am out sailing or something. But I used to use more heavily while i was 14-17 just as you, and I came out of it for the same reasons.

Roxi
08-21-2008, 03:40 PM

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:4W42CyregyV_nM:http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f38/pooligan/Mr_Mackey.jpg

Dr.3D
08-21-2008, 03:44 PM

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:4W42CyregyV_nM:http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f38/pooligan/Mr_Mackey.jpg

Would flushing aspirin down the toilet be considered drug abuse?

thegood_dr
08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I prefer my dope on a spoon.

Nothing wrong with that either.

Ozwest
08-21-2008, 04:08 PM

Everything in moderation.

Ozwest
08-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Injecting drugs usually goes beyond recreational use.

dannno
08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Would flushing aspirin down the toilet be considered drug abuse?

I dunno, but spilling your beer is definitely alcohol abuse!!

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 04:44 PM

Opps! Maybe late developing side effects? lol kids, take this as an example why not to use drugs!

Standing Like A Rock
08-21-2008, 04:48 PM
In my opinion, yes drugs are bad for you, but it is not up to the government to decide that for you. It should be your own decision as to whether or not it is worth doing the drugs and getting the consequences. People should be able to make that decision for themselves, not the government for them.

It is much like the seatbelt laws. If people want to risk getting hurt, that is their own risk to take since they are not harming anyone else. What's next? Eventually, is the government going to be making all of these choices for us? Is everyone going to be forced to take the "safe" way? Will there be laws against eating "unhealthy" food? Will the government tell us that we cannot get sun tans because it might lead to skin cancer?

The function of the government is supposed to be to protect its people from the wrongs of OTHER people, whether foreign or domestic, NOT to protect us from ourselves. Protection of ourselves from ourselves is OUR choices because we own our own bodies, not the government, and therefore we have the natural right to do what we see fit to ourselves.

Ozwest
08-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I would never go to a Pink Floyd concert unless medicated.

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 04:58 PM
I am 24, and we have almost the same identical story. I really think our parents too the appropriate approach.

I still smoke, but only once in a while at social gatherings or if I am out sailing or something. But I used to use more heavily while i was 14-17 just as you, and I came out of it for the same reasons.

Same age too, weird! I actually do occasionally smoke if it just my husband and me and if I have been drinking already, I too save it for special occasions.. sailing for you backpacking/camping for me! The problem with me and smoking is that it makes me a bit paranoid now days hence why I have to have been drinking already. If it did not make me paranoid I would probably do it instead of drinking.

Also might add I started smoking cigs heavily after I quite pot. I finally quit that too about a year and a half ago almost cold turkey right in time for the Ohio smoking ban - just worked out that way. I thought I never would quit those and I don't blame anyone who can't. Its the chemicals in them I think, not the nicotine so much.

Ozwest
08-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Same age too, weird! I actually do occasionally smoke if it just my husband and me and if I have been drinking already, I too save it for special occasions.. sailing for you backpacking/camping for me! The problem with me and smoking is that it makes me a bit paranoid now days hence why I have to have been drinking already. If it did not make me paranoid I would probably do it instead of drinking.

Also might add I started smoking cigs heavily after I quite pot. I finally quit that too about a year and a half ago almost cold turkey right in time for the Ohio smoking ban - just worked out that way. I thought I never would quit those and I don't blame anyone who can't. Its the chemicals in them I think, not the nicotine so much.

Shit mate,

Immediate de-tox for you!

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Will there be laws against eating "unhealthy" food? Will the government tell us that we cannot get sun tans because it might lead to skin cancer?

California is going to be banning trans fat actually. I doubt they will ban tanning salons as they actually make money from the business revenue. McDonalds will have to take the fiscal fall with the trans fat so they have no problem banning those.
California is the leader in these issues I noticed. I don't get it, they ban smoking cigarette's but sell marijuana out of vending machines (http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2008-01-30-marijuana-machines_N.htm) (no joke)

pinkmandy
08-21-2008, 08:11 PM
I was also told by my mom that a girl makes fewer, um, mistakes if she smokes pot over drinking.

Of course the first time I smoked I stole it out of my mom's dresser and one of her fave stories was about tripping w/her best friend and they thought their bicycles had turned into goats...so....

liberteebell
08-21-2008, 08:27 PM
I teach my kids (16,14,11) the same thing as the OP's parents. I most certainly don't encourage drug use, nor do I do any myself, but I am a realist. I get a lot of flak for my parenting, but too freakin' bad, my kids understand it perfectly.

Bottom line for me: you either own yourself or you don't.

And mj laws ARE stupid.

The End.

Andrew-Austin
08-21-2008, 09:17 PM
I've seen someone close to me destroy themselves with various drug addictions (shes doing fine now, recovered w/o the government "aiding" her w/ a prison sentence) ... And well, I'm just the type of person who learns from other peoples mistake before making them myself.

I was subjected to the typical anti-drug fear mongering growing up. For awhile I was convinced that all drugs were as bad as I had heard, but later decided I would never pass an opportunity to try a few mind altering substances. And I have, and my brief experiences w/ drugs have just been something to laugh at and move on. I have not become addicted, not gatewayed to other drugs, and today I rarely even partake in alcohol. So naturally, I'm pro legalization. It might be nice to be able to buy some pot at Walgreens in the future ya know?

Ozwest
08-21-2008, 09:21 PM
I teach my kids (16,14,11) the same thing as the OP's parents. I most certainly don't encourage drug use, nor do I do any myself, but I am a realist. I get a lot of flak for my parenting, but too freakin' bad, my kids understand it perfectly.

And mj laws ARE stupid.

The End.

Great attitude.

Jeremy
08-21-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm a teetotaler. No drugs or alcohol. All natural. :D

Ozwest
08-21-2008, 09:56 PM

You do know what W.C. Fields said?

ClayTrainor
08-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I really want to try DMT, Dimethyltryptamine, the most potent psychedellic known to man, and all of us do it every single night ;)

DMT is illegal almost everywhere, but our brains produce it. Does this not sound absurd to anyone? The government is declaring something that is inside of each and every one of us, illegal simply because it has a psychedellic effect on the brain.

Experiencing a DMT trip, is exactly what you'll experience when you die... i dont know how somethign like this can be illegal when our brains produce it naturally.

Im personally itching to get my hands on some DMT and learn a little about the meaning of life. I think DMT comes closer to explaining the origin of life than any religion could ever dream.

Drug laws make no sense, and need to be abolished.

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 10:15 PM

And mj laws ARE stupid.

The End.

My parents always got a lot of flak for their attitudes too. Heaven forbid my parents never monitored what we watched on tv, let us read whatever we wanted, date whoever we wanted, be friends with whoever we wanted, listen to whatever we wanted, research any religion we wanted. THINK whatever we wanted. They also let us sleep in their bed whenever we were scared or just wanted to and they took us all kinds of interesting places all the time that were deemed "dangerous" (aka rocky trails and things - I think we scraped our knee once :eek: ), mom breast fed, stayed at home and only worked when we were in school, and let us home school in our later years. They always spent a lot of time with us too and, without spying, knew everything about us. I should note we never got a lot of "things" and never asked for much.

Funny how this all was named a recipe for disaster by all her friends when their kids ended up with all the social problems.
I should note that allowing us all this freedom and privacy that neither of us took advantage of it (besides me as a teen for a few years, which breaks my heart and they know it) and that my parents were always there with common sense advice and HONESTY. If they did not like a friend they told us but did not tell us to stop seeing them...we always learned ourselves this way and , yes, stopped seeing them with the advantage of a lesson learned. Most of the time we never did anything they did not like anyway. We didn't really need to rebel, there was nothing to rebel against. (I was just curious by nature, hence the drug use)

Another funny "coincidence": I was never told not to lie when I was younger...funny thing is that I never lie. Never have. I was never told to say "thank you" but I always have and still do. Kids learn by example, at least I did. I had honest, very sweet and friendly and libertarian parents. I turned into a friendly, honest, libertarian girl!

You keep doing what you are doing! Not to say mistakes won't be made but making mistakes is not always a bad thing. I can't wait until I have kids! We plan on it in a couple years.

dirknb@hotmail.com
08-21-2008, 10:18 PM
My parents are Ozzie and Harriet for the most part. I made straight A's, but there's nothing they could have done to stop me from living like Jim Morrison from the latter part of high school and beyond college. Luckily I survived it to about the age of 25 when I first realized I was mortal.

Ozwest
08-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Nice post, berrybunches.

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 10:30 PM
DMT is illegal almost everywhere, but our brains produce it. Does this not sound absurd to anyone? The government is declaring something that is inside of each and every one of us, illegal simply because it has a psychedellic effect on the brain.

I believe that adrenaline is illegal too? Not sure though.

I could be with that drug you mention is dangerous in large amounts all at once. But it could also not be. Trying something once is not usually bad if you do your research which I guess you have.
I think to much serotonin to your brain at once can be dangerous if forced repeatedly and its natural.

My parents are Ozzie and Harriet for the most part. I made straight A's, but there's nothing they could have done to stop me from living like Jim Morrison from the latter part of high school and beyond college. Luckily I survived it to about the age of 25 when I first realized I was mortal.

haha thats what it is, realizing you are not invincible! I think women realize this faster than men, most likely becuase of nature preparing women for the responsibility of children and such. Like I said my father used drugs until about 25 too! I stopped at about 17, so did the other female that posted in the thread. coincidence?
I practiced unsafe sex when I was younger...sooooo stupid of me, but I honestly did not think anything could happen to me, I was invincible...I was lucky nothing happened.

Dr.3D
08-21-2008, 10:33 PM
The big problem with the DARE program was my kids finally found most of it was a lie and then they started thinking most of the stuff they were being taught in school was lies and they stopped paying attention and their grades went down because of it.

My kids told me they kind of gave up when they found out they were being lied to in school.

berrybunches
08-21-2008, 11:03 PM
The big problem with the DARE program was my kids finally found most of it was a lie and then they started thinking most of the stuff they were being taught in school was lies and they stopped paying attention and their grades went down because of it.

My kids told me they kind of gave up when they found out they were being lied to in school.

Like when the Bush administration spent millions of tax payer money on "don't do drugs or you are supporting terrorists" propaganda commercials it turns out drug use increased in the generation exposed to the commercials. Talk about blowback.

Just curious, anyone have links to those commercials?

EDIT: Also funny that a lot of those DARE volunteers smoke and use drugs! lol I was told by some of their younger siblings that were in my grade school classes and saw that first hand when I got in high school.

Dr.3D
08-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Like when the Bush administration spent millions of tax payer money on "don't do drugs or you are supporting terrorists" propaganda commercials it turns out drug use increased in the generation exposed to the commercials. Talk about blowback.

EDIT: Also funny that a lot of those DARE volunteers smoke and use drugs! lol I was told by some of their younger siblings that were in my grade school classes and saw that first hand when I got in high school.

Yeah, my kids renamed it... Drugs Are Really Expensive.

James Madison
08-21-2008, 11:28 PM

Same thing with prohibition, suicide prevention campaigns, sex-ed, gun control, etc.

James Madison
08-21-2008, 11:34 PM

I have no idea if you're being serious or not. I rarely drink alcohol, never struggled with any kind of drug abuse, although I do, unfortunately, take anti-depresents (for OCD, though), which I believe a poster mentioned interferes with seratonin. Take it from me, quiting cold turkey is not pleasant on the SRI's.

Bruno
08-22-2008, 12:07 AM

The DARE program in general is a bunch of crap. "Marijuana causes cancer" my ass.

In a local suburb, the DARE police officer was arrested a few years ago at 1 a.m., driving around with a prostitute, a pound of meth he used for demonstrations and was snorting, and a sexual device up his rectum. True story. And this man came into our schools and talked to our kids about drugs. Nice irony.

I went to look up the article, and found this interesting Wormscan: WORMSCAN is a collection of news items concerning the involvement of police, lawyers, judges, politicians, bankers, prison guards, spooks, and other social predators in the enormously profitable illegal drug business.
http://www.uwec.edu/SSDP/wormscan/wormscan.html

960102, Urbandale, IA, The Des Moines Register. Urbandale Police Officer James R Trimble (43) is arrested with methamphetamine. This 18-year veteran of The Force also had scores of sex-related items in his van. Officer Trimble was also a D.A.R.E. cop, teaching the children all about drugs.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
08-22-2008, 03:01 AM
When has obedience gotten us anywhere?

Civil Obedience has become ineffective since the invention of the taser. This is why I created the 14 rules of Legal Abstinence as a new means to establish an American Movement to combat tyranny.

Fourteen 14 Rules of Legal Abstinence

Rule #1. Never have too many rules.

Rule #2. Hate is un-American.

Rule #3. Never blame the people.

Rule #4. Never use the political spectrum as a playing field to bicker about politics.

Rule #5. Never give an interview with the media that isn't spontaneous, unedited and unrehearsed.

Rule #6. The singular Civil Purpose in the Constitution should supercede the traditional legal precedents created outside of it.

Rule #7. As law abiding American citizens, we should prefer imprisonment, torture, death and the frangrance of an outhouse to the tyranny in a courtroom.

Rule #8. As a winning political campaign is a victory for tyranny, establishing a bipartisan American Movement is a victory for the people.

Rule #9. False American Movements are Administrations which fail to implement fresh measures while they dig up to implement obsolete legal precedents from the past.

Rule #10. The debt of the people should not be burdened with any legal counterfeit created by foreign or domestic tyranny.

Rule #11. As legal lobbying on the Federal level benefits the rule of tyranny, the civil invention rewarded on the local level benefits the rule of the people.

Rule #12. There are 3 kinds of people: those with feeble minds who persecute people, those with immature minds who laugh about persecution, and those with the kinds of sober minds that get persecuted. To be an American is always to be the latter.

Rule #13. As our Founding Fathers established themselves on the foundation of a great history, tyranny establishes itself as its own foundation.

Rule #14. Taxes are created with the intentions of benefitting some while cheating others.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
08-22-2008, 03:17 AM
amen.

heh

I don't hold these laws in high regard because I know whom they help and whom they hurt.

Martin Luther dealt with the Catholic Church by obeying their custom of nailing protests to the door of the Church.
If the self-evident truths are not a greater power than tyranny, then we aren't any better than tyranny. When we become rebellious beyond a peaceful assembly, then power of the truth becomes secondary as tyranny becomes justified in putting down the rebellion. The King of England did not have to fight. He could have read our Declaration of Independence and capitulated. The Revolutionary War only became a necessity when he chose to disobey his own conscience. He then lost his power as a king to become classified a tyrant.

Raditude
08-22-2008, 04:25 AM
I feel much the same way your parents do about drugs.

If you use them to mellow out, but not become completely inebriated, then you're good. If you're just tryin to get drunk or wasted, then you're not being true to yourself. You're not being alert.

I use Marijuana (not presently as I'm trying to get a job), and have experimented with eating seeds that contain LSA (the precursor to LSD) and other substances. I found that it's only a problem when I take use too much. I try not to use too much, and maintain an alert and sober state.

If I have kids, I will probably teach them the same way.

kathy88
08-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Have to chime in here... I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've experimented with everything else except heroin. I have teenagers and recently found my daughter to be smoking pot. I was disappointed since she saw me go through recovery, but glad it was pot and not alcohol. I dont' smoke anymore, but that's because it makes me want to drink. I can honestly say that marijuana has never made me:

A. Drive erratically and dangerously.
B. Acquire "pot muscles" and want to kick someone's ass.
C. Throw up or gave me a headache.
D. Commit a violent crime.
E. Wake up next to an ugly guy whose name I can't quite remember.

Marijuana is much much safer than alcohol which is legal.

It makes NO sense to me at all.

dirknb@hotmail.com
08-22-2008, 05:29 AM
Marijuana is much much safer than alcohol which is legal.

It makes NO sense to me at all.

We all know how screwed up the laws are and how it's about money and politics and racial issues. Here is something else to consider that no one on this thread has probably thought about, and it's just a theory of mine. The PTB would prefer us to be spiritually disconnected. My wife is a medium and regularly goes into a trance and communicates with spirit entities. When she's been drinking she can't connect very well with them at all, however pot enhances the experience and she connects more strongly. Stress and a hectic schedule diminishes her contacts as well.