PDA

View Full Version : Site to find intrinsic metal value of coins

MsDoodahs
08-31-2007, 09:36 PM
http://www.coinflation.com/

Thought some of y'all might enjoy this site.

lucius
08-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Indeed, thanks!

Locke_rpr
09-01-2007, 02:50 AM
That is a cool site. I just found it a week or two ago myself. I was looking through my grandpa's coin collection that I haven't had out in 15 years or so. I didn't realize what he had done back then as I didn't know the monetary history of the country like I do now. I realized he collected silver not coins. Everything in there is pre-1965 when they changed the composition. Back then I thought wow, you sure collected some worn out coins since half of the early ones are pretty worn. Now I realize he was actually quite smart as the melt value alone has returned a 800-900% profit. I asked my dad about it and he said "now that you mention it, I think he did say something about coins aren't going to be worth as much." Way to go Gramps! Don't let them fool you!

MsDoodahs
09-01-2007, 08:23 AM
My dad saved pennies. I was still ignorant when my dad died, and I turned in the pennies. Over $600 worth of them.

When I was back at work, I was telling my boss about spending 3 days rolling pennies. She was aghast that I had turned in those pennies, and told me she would have paid me $1200 for them.

I guess that was one of my first inklings that something was amiss with my understanding of money and metals.