PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't we all members of the John Birch Society?

spacehabitats
08-20-2008, 03:10 PM
This may seem like a strange question.
I am NOT a member of JBS.
But even a cursory look at the JBS, their website, videos, literature, etc. makes it obvious that they agree with Dr. Paul on almost everything.
(They have his book on their front page and sell a DVD with one of his speeches, for example.)
Being a member of the Campaign for Liberty doesn't prevent us from joining other good organizations.
JBS has been around for fifty years and seems to be doing good work so.....

Why aren't we all members?

I have my own reasons for not having joined already, but I don't say they are very good ones. (And I'm thinking about joining anyway.)

But I would really like to hear YOURS.
Do you know something I need to know before I join?
Do you know how the JBS could be better or needs to change?
Help!

votefreedomfirst
08-20-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm agnostic and it seems to be an organization heavily influenced by Christianity. I wish them luck and agree with their stated policy goals but I just don't think I'd fit in with that crowd.

mediahasyou
08-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Also take a look into http://www.freedom-force.org/

TruthisTreason
08-20-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm a member. :cool:

aspiringconstitutionalist
08-20-2008, 03:16 PM
According to the JBS, the teaching of evolution in schools is "heresy."

Um... LOL!

Wayyyyyyyyy too religionist for me.

StudentForPaul08
08-20-2008, 03:19 PM
According to the JBS, the teaching of evolution in schools is "heresy."

Um... LOL!

Wayyyyyyyyy too religionist for me.

Agree. :rolleyes:

spacehabitats
08-20-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm agnostic and it seems to be an organization heavily influenced by Christianity. I wish them luck and agree with their stated policy goals but I just don't think I'd fit in with that crowd.

I'm not an agnostic, but some of my best friends are.;)

I guess that kind of stuff doesn't push my buttons either way, but thanks for the response!

BarryDonegan
08-20-2008, 03:23 PM
i attend john birch society meetings.

its not for everyone, its more for christians in the liberty movement, but they are a great research society and provide a lot of the goods on CFR types in the government.

if you are christian, however, or can respect their christian perspective, they are the strongest and wealthiest liberty force in america, arguably.

muzzled dogg
08-20-2008, 03:25 PM
lmao

why dont we all go to church?

spacehabitats
08-20-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm a member. :cool:

And so are a lot of other good patriots.
I may be joining you soon, but I would really like to know what the "catch" is.
(If any.)

I guess its just my "if your so great, how come you ain't rich" skepticism.

I really want to know if we can avoid re-inventing the wheel by joining forces with some of these extant organizations, or if they need a good overhaul.

But thanks again for your reply.

TruthisTreason
08-20-2008, 03:31 PM
And so are a lot of other good patriots.
I may be joining you soon, but I would really like to know what the "catch" is.
(If any.)

I guess its just my "if your so great, how come you ain't rich" skepticism.

I really want to know if we can avoid re-inventing the wheel by joining forces with some of these extant organizations, or if they need a good overhaul.

But thanks again for your reply.

No catch that I'm aware of. Nobody checking to see if I'm going to church or anything. They send out some emails and a newsletter and a magazine. Keeps you informed on some issues important. Have some meetups and are working on a more comprehensive website. :cool:

Truth Warrior
08-20-2008, 03:35 PM
"I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER." -- Groucho Marx

:D

spacehabitats
08-20-2008, 03:36 PM
lmao

why dont we all go to church?

So I keep hearing things about church/Christianity/religion/evolution (a quasi-religious issue).

Is that it?

So if the JBS were an agnostic organization would any of you still have problems with it?

I guess I just can't get too excited about rubbing shoulders with religious types.
After all I'm going with my wife to the Republican National Convention.:eek:

I'm a Mormon and a lot of the evangelical Republicans would like to lynch us as infidels, but I don't have a problem THEM, as long as they can put down their Bibles long enough to throw the bums like McCain out of the party and restore the Constitution.

StudentForPaul08
08-20-2008, 03:41 PM
So I keep hearing things about church/Christianity/religion/evolution (a quasi-religious issue).

Is that it?

So if the JBS were an agnostic organization would any of you still have problems with it?

I guess I just can't get too excited about rubbing shoulders with religious types.

I'm a Mormon and a lot of the evangelical Republicans would like to lynch us as infidels, but I don't have a problem THEM, as long as they can put down their Bibles long enough to throw the bums like McCain out of the party and restore the Constitution.

They can be whatever religion they want personally, and they can even make a christian group that just aims for that audience, and i am well..not that audience.

spacehabitats
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Seems like a great organization too!

Fabulous statement of principles (Creed of Freedom) too.

Other than competing for my time and money; is there any reason why I shouldn't join both?

Nirvikalpa
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Must everything be swayed by the religion on this f*cking forum?

Hey, let's not join the Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership too, because they all must be zionists, even though it's one of the best gun groups in the USA. Hey guys, we shouldn't go to the Rally for the Republic because a lot of the speakers there are Christians. Hey, let's not listen to Ron Paul at all, he's a Christian too!

Once again, people on this board are failing to look at the big picture. Big tent. You can have a belief in God and be very concerned with the way America is. The JBS has been the forefront of the movement against the NAU. To not join because majority of the people there are Christians is idiotic, and honestly, shameful. Best move out of the USA all together - 92% of Americans belief in God or a higher power.

John Birch himself was a Christian missionary who gave his life for the message of freedom and prosperity. If you don't want to model your life after someone like that, regardless of religious affiliation, then you do not belong in this movement. Any organization, regardless of religious affiliation, that is dedicated to the restoration of our Constitution and protecting civil rights is an organization we all should be behind.

:rolleyes:

FrankRep
08-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm a member of the JBS.

We have atheists that attend meetings so it's not an all Christian thing.

StudentForPaul08
08-20-2008, 03:47 PM

Hey, let's not join the Jews for the Protection of Firearm Ownership too, because they all must be zionists, even though it's one of the best gun groups in the USA. Hey guys, we shouldn't go to the Rally for the Republic because a lot of the speakers there are Christians. Hey, let's not listen to Ron Paul at all, he's a Christian too!

See but that is where you go wrong. I would join that group, even if they were all Jewish, as long as Judaism was not on the list of topics of concern or discussion. I am part of the CFL because though a lot of people are Christians, and a bunch of other things they do not make it a statement or go pro or against evolution. It is not at the level of the group to make a stance on a religion only at the level of the individual.

FrankRep
08-20-2008, 03:50 PM

Other than competing for my time and money; is there any reason why I shouldn't join both?

I would consider the John Birch Society and Freedom Force International two branches of the military. They want the same thing, but do it in different ways. Join both.

The leader of Freedom Force International, G. Edward Griffin, is also a John Birch Society member.

FrankRep
08-20-2008, 03:54 PM
We're losing our country to the global elites and people here are worried about the John Birch Society because they lean Christian.

Petty in my opinion.

votefreedomfirst
08-20-2008, 03:56 PM

Hey, let's not join the Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership too, because they all must be zionists, even though it's one of the best gun groups in the USA. Hey guys, we shouldn't go to the Rally for the Republic because a lot of the speakers there are Christians. Hey, let's not listen to Ron Paul at all, he's a Christian too!

Once again, people on this board are failing to look at the big picture. Big tent. You can have a belief in God and be very concerned with the way America is. The JBS has been the forefront of the movement against the NAU. To not join because majority of the people there are Christians is idiotic, and honestly, shameful. Best move out of the USA all together - 92% of Americans belief in God or a higher power.

John Birch himself was a Christian missionary who gave his life for the message of freedom and prosperity. If you don't want to model your life after someone like that, regardless of religious affiliation, then you do not belong in this movement. Any organization, regardless of religious affiliation, that is dedicated to the restoration of our Constitution and protecting civil rights is an organization we all should be behind.

You're awfully defensive. No one here was bashing Christians as far as I can tell. The OP asked why some people might be adverse to joining the JBS, and a few non-religious people answered honestly that the overtly religious overtones of the organization would make them uncomfortable.

It's not just that the "majority are Christians". Obviously in the U.S. the majority of people everywhere are Christians. It's that - from the outside at least - JBS doesn't appear particularly welcoming to those who don't subscribe to that particular belief. Maybe I'm wrong...after all I've never been to a meeting. But it seems like the kind of thing where they might open up with a prayer or something which I couldn't personally participate in without feeling incredibly awkard and disingenuous.

Theocrat
08-20-2008, 04:01 PM

Great points, give.me.liberty.

spacehabitats
08-20-2008, 04:04 PM

I also did not want to start a religion vs. atheist smackdown.:eek:

So I appreciate those of you that find a perceived religious bias in the JBS offensive.

Thanks for your input.
But I think I would like to hear if their are other criticisms (if any) as to strategies, organizational structure, leadership, etc.

Mahkato
08-20-2008, 04:14 PM
JBS is a nice org as far as I have seen. They've been fighting this fight a lot longer than most Ron Paul supporters.

spacehabitats
08-20-2008, 04:16 PM
You're awfully defensive. No one here was bashing Christians as far as I can tell. The OP asked why some people might be adverse to joining the JBS, and a few non-religious people answered honestly that the overtly religious overtones of the organization would make them uncomfortable.

It's not just that the "majority are Christians". Obviously in the U.S. the majority of people everywhere are Christians. It's that - from the outside at least - JBS doesn't appear particularly welcoming to those who don't subscribe to that particular belief. Maybe I'm wrong...after all I've never been to a meeting. But it seems like the kind of thing where they might open up with a prayer or something which I couldn't personally participate in without feeling incredibly awkard and disingenuous.

I agree that perceptions DO count for something.

And we all want and need the biggest tent that we can find that still preserves our core values of liberty.

But we also need an effective organization(s) to channel our energy AGAINST those who would enslave us.

I don't want to dilute our efforts, but the right kind of organization will NOT compete with but compliment the strengths of the Campaign for Liberty.

familydog
08-20-2008, 04:18 PM
I am not a member. Then again, I'm not a member of any organization. I suppose if I were to start joining organizations, I'd join the JBS.

I'm not going to let one or two things on their agenda deter me from their overall message.

Matt Collins
08-20-2008, 04:23 PM
My parents who are in their 60's and are devout Christians have told me what the JBS has a very bad stigma attached to their name. In other words, they are perceived as radicals to many and many people associate their group as a racist organization.

The honest truth is that I know many in the JBS and agree with most of what they say and I have not seen any evidence of racism within that organization. However I get the feeling that the organization that exists today is not the same as it was a few decades ago.

Brian Defferding
08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Their headquarters is in my hometown, I work and live a mile away from it, and have met a couple members at Ron Paul meetups. They are very nice people.

I came close to joining, but yes it was the religious part that dissuaded me from being a paying member.

HOWEVER, it would be very advisable to agnostics/athiests to join their email list and participate in their little "action" list on their website. Those guys are on top of things, you can send a letter to your Congressman/Senator which they help formulate (you can edit them to how you please), they know what bills are being passed and which ones are on the committee backburner. Because of them, I just sent a letter to my Congressman to co-sponsor Ron Paul's bill to abolish the Federal Reserve.

So, I say join their email list and take part in their action list regardless if you're a Christian or not. They'll help you get proactive.

Nirvikalpa
08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm a member of their student group on Facebook, so I get a lot of alerts, etc...

Here are the ending statements of the last couple I received:

"So bottom line, 10 states have passed an anti-NAU resolution in one or both houses. This means state legislative bodies in 20% of our states have already gone on record asking Congress to withdraw the United States from the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP) and to block the development of the NAU.

Please use the pre-written, editable email message at http://www.capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=11495616 to contact your representative and senators in support of HCR 40.

Thanks."

"Obama's Global Poverty Act (S. 2433) could cost U.S. $845 billion. Vote expected soon. Contact your senator at http://capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=11590351.

See Glenn Beck video about this United Nations-inspired global poverty bill at http://youtube.com/watch?v=NRpV6jiw5XQ."

"Here is a link to Ron Paul's official congressional website where you'll find a brand-new video (at the top right of the page) about today's lopsided House vote on a major housing bill which could end up costing hundreds of billions of dollars.

http://www.house.gov/paul/index.shtml

This 7-minute video is fascinating because it covers several related issues including a $800 billion increase in the national debt limit and the role this housing bill will play in the further devaluation of the dollar. A must for anyone who is concerned about inflation, the Federal Reserve, and their personal economic survival."

They also have a forum: http://www.jbsforum.org/index.php

And they are actively promoting the Liberty Straw Poll.

ALSO, you do not have to be a paying member - they now have a free membership.

spacehabitats
08-20-2008, 04:31 PM
My parents who are in their 60's and are devout Christians have told me what the JBS has a very bad stigma attached to their name. In other words, they are perceived as radicals to many and many people associate their group as a racist organization.

The honest truth is that I know many in the JBS and agree with most of what they say and I have not seen any evidence of racism within that organization. However I get the feeling that the organization that exists today is not the same as it was a few decades ago.

This is very interesting.

I am also an old fogey (like your folks) and remember going to meetings as a child with my parents.

I don't remember any racism. The worst I can remember are some people getting carried away on tangents like fluoridation that detracted from the main message.

Gee, I don't suppose that would remind anyone of any current groups.:rolleyes:

dannno
08-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm a Mormon

Ezra Taft Benson was a hardcore JBS member. You should checkout some of his political speeches from before he became a Prophet of the LDS church. It's a trip.

shocker315
08-20-2008, 04:44 PM

You may be interested in this section of Freedom Force as it pertains to the JBS.... If you haven't found it already. ;) Especially the FFI and JBS comparison chart (pdf) at the bottom of the page.

http://www.freedom-force.org/freedomcontent.cfm?fuseaction=questionM06&refpage=membership

StudentForPaul08
A few things:

I did not say or think because they lean christian that means it is offensive to me. I just do not agree with it. And i have the right as an individual to choose what and what not to join based on a groups overall picture.

This isn't about religion vs. non-religion, it is about my opinion and right not to join a specific group based on their religious overtones. I don't take it offensive nor do i think less of their efforts for it, i just feel it is not for me.

Easy as that.

Oh and not joining them for this reason is not why there hasn't been a 'revolution' already. ;)

spacehabitats
I'm a member of their student group on Facebook, so I get a lot of alerts, etc...

Here are the ending statements of the last couple I received:

"So bottom line, 10 states have passed an anti-NAU resolution in one or both houses. This means state legislative bodies in 20% of our states have already gone on record asking Congress to withdraw the United States from the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP) and to block the development of the NAU.

Please use the pre-written, editable email message at http://www.capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=11495616 to contact your representative and senators in support of HCR 40.

Thanks."

"Obama's Global Poverty Act (S. 2433) could cost U.S. $845 billion. Vote expected soon. Contact your senator at http://capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=11590351.

See Glenn Beck video about this United Nations-inspired global poverty bill at http://youtube.com/watch?v=NRpV6jiw5XQ."

"Here is a link to Ron Paul's official congressional website where you'll find a brand-new video (at the top right of the page) about today's lopsided House vote on a major housing bill which could end up costing hundreds of billions of dollars.

http://www.house.gov/paul/index.shtml

This 7-minute video is fascinating because it covers several related issues including a $800 billion increase in the national debt limit and the role this housing bill will play in the further devaluation of the dollar. A must for anyone who is concerned about inflation, the Federal Reserve, and their personal economic survival."

They also have a forum: http://www.jbsforum.org/index.php

OK, I had better explain a little more.

My father-in-law is Don Fotheringham.

I truly respect this man and his wisdom.

He had worked for the national JBS organization for decades before some type of political squabble caused him and a number of former administrators to resign.

They have started their own organization called the Freedom First Society and written an excellent book, Organize for Victory, that outlines their vision of the globalist Conspiracy and how to combat it.

I KNOW that Don is sincere, intelligent, and inciteful.
I KNOW that he has decades of experience doing what many of us are only starting to do.

I just wish I could KNOW that he has the best organization and strategy.

Thanks to all of those who have tried to help me sort this out.

familydog
08-20-2008, 04:46 PM

Nice. I'll look in to joining if this is the case.

Brian Defferding
08-20-2008, 04:51 PM
A good review of all of JBS's dirty laundry can be read here. (http://www.publiceye.org/tooclose/jbs.html) It used to be big on conspiracy theories. I prefer a JBS where it's simply a political action organization. Spouting off tinfoil hat material just gives your cause a bad name.

dannno
08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
A good review of all of JBS's dirty laundry can be read here. (http://www.publiceye.org/tooclose/jbs.html) It used to be big on conspiracy theories. I prefer a JBS where it's simply a political action organization. Spouting off tinfoil hat material just gives your cause a bad name.

Especially when it's true.

glts
08-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Years ago when it looked like the JBS was waking too many people up the mainstream media put a kibosh on that and started to demonize a great organization.

DeadtoSin
08-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't know why I'm not a part of the JBS. I'm probably going to join. They seem committed to Liberty, and I am a Christian. Kind of makes sense.

I can understand how some would not want to be in an environment that seemed geared toward Christians.

Truth Warrior
08-20-2008, 05:55 PM
As I seem to recall, the GOP got really pissed because JBS ( Robert Welch ??? ) called Eisenhower a communist. There were probably some more other reasons besides.

TruthisTreason
08-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Here is the latest from JBS.

Dear Friend:

We have a wonderful opportunity to help build the Americanist movement and spread the word, so to speak, well beyond our numbers -- if we are able to raise the funds to do so.

We are planning to have a substantial presence at the Ron Paul Rally for the Republic in Minneapolis on September 2nd.

We will have a booth, a picture of which is attached. In addition, we have plans to have a one-minute video shown on the big screen, a moving ticker around the arena, plus additional enhancements.

We plan on giving out literature and the DVD, Overview of America, to as many attendees as come by our booth. We will also be offering a special introductory subscription to The New American magazine. In both cases, we expect, due to the nature of those attending, that these items will be shown and passed along to friends, family, and peers.

These are the things we are planning, provided we can muster the funds to do so.

It is a foregone conclusion that the crowds will be enthusiastic. We want to segue off this enthusiasm to carry the message of freedom beyond the numbers that will attend. We will have plans in place to help us to do that. About 10,000 are expected at this time.

By the way, if you yourself have not seen Overview, then I invite you to watch it on our YouTube channel.

Once the attendees view the video, we are sure that they will share it with many, many others.

This Rally is sure to be a major milestone in building the Americanist movement. Can you help play a part by donating what you can to this effort? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Visit JBS.org to donate. Look for the "Donation" box on the right-hand side. And, if you are going to be at the Rally, stop by and say hello.

Sincerely,

Arthur R. Thompson
Chief Executive Officer
http://www.jbs.org/rally/jbsexhibit1.jpg

hypnagogue
08-20-2008, 06:13 PM
According to the JBS, the teaching of evolution in schools is "heresy." Hah! Well now I'm glad I never looked to hard into joining.

LibertyEagle
08-20-2008, 06:14 PM

Is that it?

LOL. They are not overly religious. My Mother was a member, so I kind of grew up with the stuff. They do believe that America was founded on biblical principles, but so what? Their main deal is all about getting the government back to the Constitution and getting individual liberty back. They are a tremendous research organization and know well the skinny of what is going on in our country. To me, the organization was at its best when the founder was still alive and then when Congressman Larry MacDonald was at its helm. He was related to Patton, BTW. He scared the beegeezus out of the establishment, because he could name names and had Patton's old records tucked safely away to prove it. You see, General Patton was wise to the deal too. As I recall, MacDonald was planning on running for President, but was killed in the KAL007 crash. It's still a good organization though and from what I can see, they're on the move.

Sure, you're not going to agree with them on everything, but IMO they're a great organization. And yeah, Ron Paul has been their poster guy for a very LONG time. You have to know that they have rattled some cages when the establishment has gone to such trouble to smear the hell out of them. ;)

These guys are major patriots.

I give them 2 thumbs up. :D

LibertyEagle
08-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Hah! Well now I'm glad I never looked to hard into joining.

Evolution (Darwinism) is a theory and as such, should not be taught in school as if it is a fact.

LibertyEagle
08-20-2008, 06:20 PM
As I seem to recall, the GOP got really pissed because JBS ( Robert Welch ??? ) called Eisenhower a communist. There were probably some more other reasons besides.

Yeah, it was in a book called The Politician. I personally thought it was GREAT. :D

LibertyEagle
08-20-2008, 06:24 PM

They never "spouted off" anything. Nor did they push conspiracy THEORIES. Every single claim they made was backed up with tons of documentation. Get one of their books and see for yourself.

They were smeared, because at one time they had a great deal of members and people were listening to them. The establishment needed to take them out, so they smeared the hell out of them. Now THAT is what happened. I remember it well. These guys are NOT crackpots. Yeah, there are plenty of crackpots out there and conspiracy theorists, but that is not at all what the JBS is.

TruthisTreason
08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Evolution (Darwinism) is a theory and as such, should not be taught in school as if it is a fact.
+1

FindLiberty
08-20-2008, 06:53 PM
YES. Join up if you like Ron Paul!

Very good org! I'm a member. I don't agree with them on everything and I see no hope in getting them to the true "So freedom shall not perish" Libertarian point of view they claim on their New American magazine cover.

Any "bashing" or smears are contrived and false, (just ask any Jewish or Black JBS member). This indicates the NWO tyrants, central planners and media are afraid of the JBS (and the truth).

The old and wise JBS is 100% pro-America and Constitutional if you include a few additional (unconstitutional) laws limiting personal liberty from the "good" central planners promising (forcing?) God, family values and Country. They try not to appear too extreme, but they are easy to spot when talking about the NWO, Federal Reserve, Insiders, CFR members, illegal imigration, abortion, failing public schools, controlled media, socialism, fascism, rap music or Communists.

Members may include a few wacky, but good hearted folks. (i.e., Someone like me)

Many members take off their JBS hats and then go door to door promoting good candidates at election time... but they usually fall for the GOP type (and not the LP or 3rd party candidate) as long as the particular GOP candidate is not an extreme RINO or NWO puppet. Few in the JBS grasp the full power of Liberty intended by the founders. e.g., They defend the insane war on some drugs.

They know how to work the existing system to keep out the bad by pressuring a CongressCritter monthly via voter cards and letters. They are highly organized, experienced and geared for voter education and over-enthusiastic anti-NWO activism.

The JBS is very careful to back up all their statements! The shocks you experience are all real facts the loud rushing sound is just hash reality popping all your bubbles. You can get over it in a few years...

Join 'em and get a Ron Paul education and a half!

P.S. Expect light background checks by homeland security - you may be a subversive!

TheTyke
08-20-2008, 06:59 PM
The JBS is a fantastic organization. The wealth of information they have accumulated and made available to people is simply staggering. I was introduced to Ron Paul in my younger years, as I grew up reading their publication The New American, and every year they publish the voting records of every representative and senator. In my experience they are not pushy, and members are encouraged to help on projects they agree with, and to abstain if they don't agree.

As Liberty Eagle says, the JBS was smeared big time, and very effectively. There was great personal expense in being a member and challenging the Establishment back then, perhaps even more than today. A friend of mine who used to be in the air force said the enlistment form asked if she was a Bircher. So yeah.

In spite of all that, they pressed on, and I would say a good amount of the background information that enabled the Revolution was spread by them. I just joined earlier this year, after Ron Paul endorsed them (it just reminded me, I would have before that, too).

BuddyRey
08-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I have a lot of friends who are JBS members and, with respect to what I'm sure is a fine organization, I just wouldn't fit in there.

I'm a free trade-lovin', border fence-bashin', gay marriage-endorsin' libertarian/individualist hippie. JBS seems to be much more socially conservative, not to mention highly protectionist with regard to international commerce, and they seem to put a lot of emphasis on Michael Savage's kind of "borders, culture, and family" type of rhetoric. Fortunately however, they do not have Michael Savage's neocon foreign policy beliefs.

Soccrmastr
08-20-2008, 07:21 PM
i attend john birch society meetings.

its not for everyone, its more for christians in the liberty movement, but they are a great research society and provide a lot of the goods on CFR types in the government.

if you are christian, however, or can respect their christian perspective, they are the strongest and wealthiest liberty force in america, arguably.

+1

whether you agree with their religious stance or not JBS still does a LOT for the furthering of liberty

LibertyEagle
08-20-2008, 07:21 PM
I have a lot of friends who are JBS members and, with respect to what I'm sure is a fine organization, I just wouldn't fit in there.

I'm a free trade-lovin', border fence-bashin', gay marriage-endorsin' libertarian/individualist hippie. JBS seems to be much more socially conservative, not to mention highly protectionist with regard to international commerce, and they seem to put a lot of emphasis on Michael Savage's kind of "borders, culture, and family" type of rhetoric. Fortunately however, they do not have Michael Savage's neocon foreign policy beliefs.

Bite your tongue. They're not social conservatives. :p Nor are they in line with Michael Savage.

But yeah, if you're a hippie-type of guy or an atheist, you probably wouldn't like it.

votefreedomfirst
08-20-2008, 07:45 PM

This argument is nonsense. Evolution is a theory in the same manner that gravity is a theory. Should that not be taught in schools either?*

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory#Science):

In scientific usage, a theory does not mean an unsubstantiated guess or hunch, as it can in everyday speech. A theory is a logically self-consistent model or framework for describing the behavior of a related set of natural or social phenomena. It originates from or is supported by rigorous observations in the natural world, or by experimental evidence (see scientific method). In this sense, a theory is a systematic and formalized expression of all previous observations, and is predictive, logical, and testable.

*For the record, I am opposed to all public education. Find me a town without public schools (and the accompanying taxes to pay for them) and that is where I will settle down.

Max Stirner
08-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Our local meetup during the primaries had a lot of spillover from the local JBS chapter and I discussed it a great deal with various members. My main concern relating to my individual joining was personal, the fact that I'm not religious, but I also felt that the organization was frankly, retrograde. John Birch as a person was a missionary killed by Chinese communists and the mindset of much of their literature still seems to be in the Cold War era. Too much scare material on Red China and Clinton era theorizing on global governance.

As a 20 year old, I feel that they're still fighting out my father and grandfather's generations' conflicts rather than serving as a very useful conduit for moving the principles of limited government forward into the future.

That said they have great reasons for supporting Ron Paul and are right on most issues (from a libertarian point of view). I'd be and have been happy to work with them, not necessarily as one of them.

The_Orlonater
08-20-2008, 08:08 PM
See but that is where you go wrong. I would join that group, even if they were all Jewish, as long as Judaism was not on the list of topics of concern or discussion. I am part of the CFL because though a lot of people are Christians, and a bunch of other things they do not make it a statement or go pro or against evolution. It is not at the level of the group to make a stance on a religion only at the level of the individual.

+1

JosephTheLibertarian
08-20-2008, 08:12 PM
This may seem like a strange question.
I am NOT a member of JBS.
But even a cursory look at the JBS, their website, videos, literature, etc. makes it obvious that they agree with Dr. Paul on almost everything.
(They have his book on their front page and sell a DVD with one of his speeches, for example.)
Being a member of the Campaign for Liberty doesn't prevent us from joining other good organizations.
JBS has been around for fifty years and seems to be doing good work so.....

Why aren't we all members?

I have my own reasons for not having joined already, but I don't say they are very good ones. (And I'm thinking about joining anyway.)

But I would really like to hear YOURS.
Do you know something I need to know before I join?
Do you know how the JBS could be better or needs to change?
Help!

I'm not a member because they charge $$$. Someday.

BuddyRey
08-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Bite your tongue. They're not social conservatives. :p

They don't seem quite as preoccupied with social conservatism as say, James Dobson, but they definitely aren't libertarians.

Looking at the "Bedrock of Civilization" page under their "Family and Freedom" issue page, I find a couple of distressing condemnations of pluralism and individualism.

http://www.jbs.org/index.php/issues/family-and-freedom/1869-bedrock-of-civilization

"The promotion of strong, healthy families is one of the best antidotes to the increasingly individualistic and pagan nature of our modern-day culture."

I thought individualism was a good thing! The opposite of Individualism is Collectivism. Does the JBS want our culture to be "decreasingly individualistic" and, thus, "increasingly collectivist"? And how do they come to the conclusion that our culture is "pagan" in any way, shape or form? I was under the impression that Pagan meant 'of or pertaining to Paganism and Pagan rites/religions.' Our culture may be pretty sick, vain, materialistic, and celebrity-obsessed, but the arcane and sparsely-observed religion of Paganism has very little to do with it.

"Another encouraging light on the horizon is the growing influence of traditional pro-family organizations — some secular, some religious-based — dedicated to preserving, defending, motivating, and equipping families with the knowledge and tools they need to remain strong. Consider, as just one example, the work of Don Wildmon’s American Family Association. This very pro-active organization focuses primarily on challenging that influence that seeks to promote and glorify immorality and perversion that adversely affect traditional family values and morals."

Gag! Donald Wildmon a "protector of family values"? Hardly. All he is, in my estimation, is a self-appointed arbiter of virtue with no respect for the 1st amendment and a whining busybody who has never hesitated to use the power and guns of government to enforce his own values.

libertarian4321
08-20-2008, 08:42 PM

Its not that the majority of members are Christians- you can't swing a dead cat in this country without hitting a member of the "oppressed Christian majority." Those who aren't Christian in this country are bombarded with Christianity on a daily basis- it can't be avoided- I don't think Christians even notice it, but those of us who aren't Christian sure do.

There is a difference between a group that simply has mostly Christian members, and a group that openly proselytizes for Christianity. Some here obviously feel that the JBS proselytizes and don't want to be a part of that (I don't know whether they do- I've never been to a meeting).

We get hammered with Christianity every day, and don't want to join any organization that is going to give us an additional dosage of Christianity.

Bryan
08-20-2008, 08:45 PM
I've been a member of JBS for several years- what initially attracted me to them was their impressive video works-- they have a few on the UN that are excellent.

I understand some of the religious issues but keep in mind there is a huge difference between packaging a message that is optimally digestible to religious people vs. pushing a religious agenda. The JBS does not push a religious agenda at all, and in fact, since they are a national organization their basic platform is adherence to the Constitution-- nearly 100% in alignment with Dr. Paul.

With any group you're going to have to hold your nose some, but there is power in organizing. So join every group that make sense-- JBS will be stronger in some regions vs. others. Just my $0.02.

Yea, I think those are my posts you're looking at. :)

LibertyEagle
08-20-2008, 09:14 PM
They don't seem quite as preoccupied with social conservatism as say, James Dobson, but they definitely aren't libertarians.

Neither are a whole heck of a lot of people in this movement.

Roxi
08-20-2008, 09:36 PM
i would love to join JBS... but right now its kinda hard to buy coffee, nevertheless the fee to join JBS... so when i have the extra, i will join but financial troubles are the only thing stopping me

specsaregood
08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
//

Mahkato
08-20-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm not a member because they charge $$$. Someday.

i would love to join JBS... but right now its kinda hard to buy coffee, nevertheless the fee to join JBS... so when i have the extra, i will join but financial troubles are the only thing stopping me

They have an online membership level (http://www.jbs.org/index.php/members) that is free.

FREE Online membership benefits include:

Access to the members section of JBS.org
Access to The John Birch Society Bulletin
Contact Congress via our Alert Network.
Action Alerts on pending legislation & key issues
Download exclusive resources

Full Memberships ($87/yr) receive additional benefits:

Home delivery of JBS Bulletin.
Home delivery of The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/subscribe)
Participate in local chapter action agenda
Direct access to JBS staff members
Satisfaction of supporting success of the JBS

If you are a free member, you can also subscribe separately to The New American, for $39 a year or less. 3 years is $89.

Original_Intent
08-20-2008, 10:00 PM
I am a member.

A few people have mentioned teh stigma of the JBS. It is probably because back in the 60s they were causing a lot of damage to communists and their moles and there was a concerted effort by the media to brand them as racists.

I did not know much about the JBS for many years but considered them complete whackos. Then one day I decided to dig a little deeper and found out what a great organization they have. In all honesty it was thru the JBS that I became familiar with Ron Paul and started subscribing to his Freedom Report about 6 years ago.

Yes there are some religious overtones - big time - but I seriously bet that we would have already lost the freedom battle if not for the JBS (or another organization that had filled the same role.)

FrankRep
08-21-2008, 12:33 AM

Just get to know the members in your area. Get connected. You can still attend the meetings.

Building the network is the most important thing.

JBS_PR
08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Wow, lots of great responses. This question was posted at the Daily Paul as well with plenty of responses. So spacehabitats certainly has come up with a great question. At first, I was going to copy and paste my response from the Daily Paul, but being a newby here, I wasn't sure if that would break any kind of unspoken or unwritten rule...plus most of what I wrote at the Daily Paul was already echoed here by knowledgeable JBS members.

So please allow me to invite you to our booth at the Rally for the Republic. We are giving away our Overview of America DVD, offering a free 3-issue trial subscription to The New American for new subscribers and signing up folks to our Legislative Alert Network e-list. The booth will be staffed by JBS employees and members. Since we are a Founding Father sponsor, look for our video on the Jumbotron, our message on the electronic board and ad in the program.

JBS President John McManus, who wrote and narrated Overview of America, will also be there. Please stop by and say hi. I'm told by the Rally organizers that we will be located on Concourse One, in the Skyway, and we will be hard to miss.

If you're going, I wish you a safe trip and hope to shake your hand.

Thanks much,

Bill Hahn
Public Relations Manager
The John Birch Society/The New American

PS--Regardless of whether you choose to become a member (free online membership at www.JBS.org ... sorry had to throw in a plug!), get involved by educating yourself on this great Republic and find ways to save, restore and preserve it. A number of great organizations exist. Your kids and grandkids will thank you for it.

ARealConservative
08-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Wow, lots of great responses. This question was posted at the Daily Paul as well with plenty of responses. So spacehabitats certainly has come up with a great question. At first, I was going to copy and paste my response from the Daily Paul, but being a newby here, I wasn't sure if that would break any kind of unspoken or unwritten rule...plus most of what I wrote at the Daily Paul was already echoed here by knowledgeable JBS members.

So please allow me to invite you to our booth at the Rally for the Republic. We are giving away our Overview of America DVD, offering a free 3-issue trial subscription to The New American for new subscribers and signing up folks to our Legislative Alert Network e-list. The booth will be staffed by JBS employees and members. Since we are a Founding Father sponsor, look for our video on the Jumbotron, our message on the electronic board and ad in the program.

JBS President John McManus, who wrote and narrated Overview of America, will also be there. Please stop by and say hi. I'm told by the Rally organizers that we will be located on Concourse One, in the Skyway, and we will be hard to miss.

If you're going, I wish you a safe trip and hope to shake your hand.

Thanks much,

Bill Hahn
Public Relations Manager
The John Birch Society/The New American

PS--Regardless of whether you choose to become a member (free online membership at www.JBS.org ... sorry had to throw in a plug!), get involved by educating yourself on this great Republic and find ways to save, restore and preserve it. A number of great organizations exist. Your kids and grandkids will thank you for it.

This is a great opportunity for you to clarify one question - how are atheists viewed by JBS members? Are they openly welcome, or not, especially those that disagree with the incoorporation of the bill of rights?

BarryDonegan
08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
This argument is nonsense. Evolution is a theory in the same manner that gravity is a theory. Should that not be taught in schools either?*

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory#Science):

*For the record, I am opposed to all public education. Find me a town without public schools (and the accompanying taxes to pay for them) and that is where I will settle down.

this is where a lot of debate gets off track. evolution is a theory because it is generally considered by scientists to be the most complex explanation we have, as of right now.

most science on the subject of evolution has moved way past darwinism to the point of darwinism being considered a failure. Now, this does not mean that scientists have decided that creationism is RIGHT and that the world is 300 years old or whatever inconcrete non-scientific theory that might exist based on religious interpretation that is in and of itself suspect.

Darwinism, and that type of evolution, is simply no longer advanced science, it is behind the times. A lot of people, when they chime in that evolution is only a theory and not worth a students time, they oftentimes mean that there are more advanced ways of looking at it in the scientific community by now, yet they still get auto-saddled with creationism, even when they might even be an atheist chemist, or come from some background to where that oversimplification of the debate doesn't make sense.

BarryDonegan
08-21-2008, 03:54 PM

you could say the same thing about both major political parties, government itself, and a good portion of the people in the United States.

haha.

the racism issue was at the heart of all people in the first half of the 20th century, so using racist members of an organization from that time period to discredit an organization would discredit all organizations which existed during that time, including the United States Government, and every single state government.

my experience with the JBS has been entirely open minded and fun, i haven't seen any evidence of racism. I get the same feeling about Pat Buchanan as well, but maybe thats just me.

seems like a racist wouldn't be having an african american VP running on a ticket with him.

ANOTHER NOTE: for those of you in this thread saying that the JBS are not libertarians, well, yes, I would agree with that.

I am definately more libertarian than am I anything else. I would consider the JBS more likely to be behind someone like Chuck Baldwin, and the platform of the Constitution Party, which might see local government taking more power than I would want it to have, however, that being said, i get along with them far more than I do most other groups, and, despite the differences, I still think of the community as fun enough to read their magazines and attend their meetings. I suppose I am a member, not to the extent of sharing boutique values, but to the extent of appreciating their love for liberty and that we are allies when it comes to the federal government.

JBS_PR
08-21-2008, 04:08 PM
ARealConservative,

There is no requirement for JBS members to be a specific religion. We have members who hold a number of religious views (Christian, Jewish, atheist, etc.). Anyone who believes in supporting our mission (to bring about less government, more responsibility, and — with God’s help — a better world by providing leadership, education, and organized volunteer action in accordance with moral and Constitutional principles") is welcome to join. Of course, if one doesn't believe in God, we could have a large discussion about morality, too. But prescribing to a specific religion or even believing in God isn't required.

We have members that have joined as atheists or were agnostic or ambivalent about religion and many have found the Christian faith along the way with local, Christian members. Again, it's not a requirement, and we don't ask any religious questions on the membership application.

Does that help?

Thanks,

Bill

Kalifornia
08-21-2008, 11:24 PM
JBS is way too theocratic leaning for me.