PDA

View Full Version : Paul's New Endorsement, Nice Coverage

Change
08-20-2008, 08:10 AM
http://newsminer.com/news/2008/aug/20/ron-paul-endorses-don-young-parnell-offers-anwr-la/

Kade
08-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Don Young?!!

WTF?!

votefreedomfirst
08-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Don Young?!!

WTF?!

I have to agree. Not only is Young infamous for his earmarks (and corruption), he continues to support the Iraq war. Paul's endorsement will lose a lot of it's weight if he keeps this kind of thing up. I know I'll be taking it with a grain of salt from now on.

Also, he endorsed Huckabee, who is a sworn enemy (http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/15703.html)of "libertarian Republicans."

Young received the endorsement of Mike Huckabee's political action committee, Huck PAC, in June 2008.[16] After a storm of negative reaction, Huckabee explained on the Huck PAC blog that the endorsement was due in part to Young's endorsement and steadfast support of Huckabee during the 2008 Republican presidential primaries.[17]

Even worst, Young's opponent actually appears to be the type of "true conservative" we want in office.

In light of many of the controversies, incumbent Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell announced he would run against Young in the August 26, 2008 Republican primary. Parnell is being strongly supported by Gov. Sarah Palin, the Club for Growth, and many other organizations that oppose what they view to be corrupt behavior on the part of the long time congressman.

skiingff
08-20-2008, 12:03 PM
---- ----

Kotin
08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
In his letter, Paul said he was supporting Young, in part, for his backing of the Liberty Amendment, which would bar the federal government from operating any business-type activities and abolish the federal income tax.

“Few members of Congress have shown the insight to understand the importance of this sweeping legislation to restrain the federal government, and even fewer have shown the courage to co-sponsor this bill,” Paul said. “Don is one of those.”.

I don't think any of you are in a position to second guess Dr.Paul's decision..

you don't know anything about it.

while I'm also confused as to why.

skiingff
08-20-2008, 12:07 PM
---- ----

votefreedomfirst
08-20-2008, 12:15 PM

OK, he co-sponsored some amendment that has zero chance of passing so we should ignore the fact that he is a pro-War, big government, corrupt Huckabee supporter, and support him over his libertarian-Republican opponent?

This is just another tragic case of Paul taking "friendship" too far. He should've stayed out of it altogether.

Kade
08-20-2008, 12:17 PM

while I'm also confused as to why.

I'm an individual, you conformist con-bot, I am in perfect position to second guess whatever the hell I want to second guess.

Kotin
08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm an individual, you conformist con-bot, I am in perfect position to second guess whatever the hell I want to second guess.

seriously Kade.. Fuck you!

calling me a conformist con-bot?

you never cease to amaze me...

Kade
08-20-2008, 12:35 PM
seriously Kade.. Fuck you!

calling me a conformist con-bot?

you never cease to amaze me...

Fall right in line soldier.

You know what the definition of Conformity is?

Conformity is the result of a process by which people's beliefs or behaviors are influenced by others within a group in the formation and maintenance of social norms. This process can involve subtle forms of coercion as people generally seek conformity through a desire to achieve a sense of security within a larger group of people usually of similar age, culture, religion or educational status. It is thus common among young people as an aspect of youth culture and is related to the social dynamics of gangs.

That's you, chief, and your little apple dumpling gang. Use your head. Think, it doesn't hurt for most of us.

ARealConservative
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
ruh-roh

a neo-con endorsement

Kade
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
The people on this thread who have stood up for their principles and have second guessed Ron Paul in this matter are to be respected. It is obvious that Young is not in line with the principles of many of the people here... Congratulations folks, you are on the way to individualism, the real kind.

Kade
08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
And ARealConservative arrives to deliver a threadturd™.

ARealConservative
08-20-2008, 12:42 PM
And ARealConservative arrives to deliver a threadturd™.

why

Kade
08-20-2008, 12:47 PM
why

I don't know why.

I do know that you find a way to work me up, and then suddenly start being nice to me...

If I am nice and kind in return, you find a way to insult me...

It's rather confusing and tiring all at once.

ARealConservative
08-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't know why.

I do know that you find a way to work me up, and then suddenly start being nice to me...

If I am nice and kind in return, you find a way to insult me...

It's rather confusing and tiring all at once.

ummm.I try to debate issues, not people.

I'm not being mean to you - only to the idea you advance. Stop taking it all so personally. I'm actually hoping we can meet in person some time and have a drink. ;)

Kade
08-20-2008, 12:54 PM
ummm.I try to debate issues, not people.

I'm not being mean to you - only to the idea you advance. Stop taking it all so personally. I'm actually hoping we can meet in person some time and have a drink. ;)

I'm much more articulate in person. :cool:

yongrel
08-20-2008, 01:21 PM
o...k... my brain hurts.

ARealConservative
08-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm much more articulate in person. :cool:

.........I'm too sexy for my shirt............ :confused:

Kade
08-20-2008, 01:25 PM
.........I'm too sexy for my shirt............ :confused:

Wrong thread? :confused:

ARealConservative
08-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Wrong thread? :confused:

oh - I thought we were bragging now. :p

amy31416
08-20-2008, 04:08 PM
I have not trusted Paul's vetting system for a long time now, no way I'd support that dude. Christ.

forsmant
08-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Perhaps Ron Paul thinks it is impolite to run against an incumbent republican. That will lose you favor in the party.

Either Republican will be better than the democrat though.

Change
08-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Do you not think that Congressman Ron Paul works with Republicans that disagree with him on the War and other issues over the years. The fact that Ron Paul has endorse a candidate that disagreed with him on the War issue, yet he didn't endorse McCain should indicated something.

If you know anything about Washington, DC, it is that you have to make the best possible decisions in a very messy sandbox.

It serves no purpose to call out each other and get upset. I think Paul has always said this about creating a movement and getting involved in your own government. It belongs to the people. Not everyone is going to be happy with his choices. In addition, the motivation of the article in the coverage seems purposeful. Could the coverage been to divide? It is rare press coverage is so nice. Today's media seems to always have a "purpose" rather than to inform.

It is a non issue, for me, but I certainly respect others on this.

ARealConservative
08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Ron Paul endorsement of Don Young “shocking and disappointing;” Texas Congressman “put pork ahead of principle”

(Manassas, Virginia) By endorsing Congressman Don Young (R-Alaska) for reelection over his principled conservative challenger, Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas) has put “pork ahead of principle,” Richard A. Viguerie said.

Viguerie, Chairman of ConservativeHQ.com, said the endorsement is “completely inconsistent with everything Congressman Paul has said that he stands for. But, unfortunately, it is consistent with his record of pork-barrel spending for the folks back home in his district.”

Viguerie noted that, according to a recent article in the Houston Chronicle, Paul “is trying to nab public money for 65 projects, such as marketing wild shrimp and renovating the old movie theater in Edna that closed in 1977 — neither of which is envisioned in the Constitution as an essential government function.”

(A list of Congressman Paul’s earmark requests for Fiscal 2009 has been posted at http://blogs.chron.com/txpotomac/2008/04/ron_pauls_earmarks_for_fy2009.html .)

Young is extremely influential on congressional pork. He is the 7th most senior member of the House and the 3rd most senior Republican, and chaired the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee from 2001 until the Democratic takeover in 2007. He is currently the top Republican on the House Natural Resources Committee.

Paul is supporting Young against Sean Parnell, whom Viguerie called “a principled conservative reformer who will fight the ‘culture of corruption’ in Washington.”

In contrast, “Young represents the system of earmarking and pork-barrel spending that works hand-in-glove with Big Government against the interests of the people of Alaska and the entire nation.”

Young, who is under federal investigation for illegal gratuities and unreported gifts, is “a world-class porker, infamous for his Bridge to Nowhere and hundreds of millions in other earmarks,” Viguerie said.

“I have been a strong supporter of Ron Paul for many years, including naming him one of the nation’s up-and-coming leaders in a Conservative Digest magazine article I published almost 25 years ago,” Viguerie said. “His overall record on other issues far outweighed his atrocious use of earmarks for his own district.

“However, his endorsement of Don Young is something no conservative or libertarian can excuse. I’m sure I join many fans of Ron Paul who are shocked and disappointed by this decision.”

Thoughts?

Change
08-25-2008, 09:44 PM
again, media fishing hook?

torchbearer
08-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Hypothetical, If a neocon approaches Ron for his endorsement.. that in itself is a huge step.
And if in that meeting he confesses his sins and seeks to join the new coalition. I don't think we should turn him away.

Kade
08-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Hypothetical, If a neocon approaches Ron for his endorsement.. that in itself is a huge step.
And if in that meeting he confesses his sins and seeks to join the new coalition. I don't think we should turn him away.

This movement isn't a *ucking Catholic priest.

Sandra
08-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Anything Vigerie says should be questioned. Remember the Woody Jenkins is a Ron Paul Republican" email campaign he created? The fake website?"

torchbearer
08-26-2008, 08:24 AM
This movement isn't a *ucking Catholic priest.

You speak for this movement now?

Kade
08-26-2008, 08:38 AM
You speak for this movement now?

Who does? But by all means, oh great and wonderful movement, I confess my sins to thee.

...please.

Flash
08-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Is young's opponent anti-war?

Kade
08-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Is young's opponent anti-war?

Yes.