View Full Version : Colleges: Drinking age 'not working'

amy31416
08-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Colleges: Drinking age 'not working'
Presidents say lowering from 21 may cut binges

By Stephen Kiehl | Sun Reporter
August 19, 2008

Jamie Hittman

"It's almost like contraband," says Jamie Hittman, 20, a Hopkins junior from Columbia. (Sun photo by Barbara Haddock Taylor / August 18, 2008)

Top university officials in Maryland - including the chancellor of the state university system and the president of the Johns Hopkins University - say the current drinking age of 21 "is not working" and has led to dangerous binges in which students have harmed themselves and others.

Six college presidents in Maryland are among more than 100 college and university presidents nationwide who have signed a statement calling for a public debate on rethinking the drinking age.

"Kids are going to drink whether it's legal or illegal," said Johns Hopkins President William R. Brody, who supports lowering the drinking age to 18. "We'd at least be able to have a more open dialogue with students about drinking as opposed to this sham where people don't want to talk about it because it's a violation of the law."

The presidents of the University of Maryland, College Park; Towson University; the College of Notre Dame of Maryland; Goucher College; Washington College and the University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute signed the statement, along with the presidents of Duke, Dartmouth and Ohio State University.

"How many times must we relearn the lessons of prohibition?" the statement says. "Adults under 21 are deemed capable of voting, signing contracts, serving on juries and enlisting in the military, but are told they are not mature enough to have a beer."

Each state has the authority to set its own drinking age, but in 1984 Congress passed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act, which says that states with a drinking age lower than 21 will lose 10 percent of their federal highway money. After that law passed, all 50 states raised their drinking age to 21.

The first step for the presidents is to work for repeal of that law as part of next year's transportation reauthorization bill. They recognize the challenge, given the passions ignited by the issue, but say they are desperate to confront the problem of drinking on and off college campuses.

"We have this law that in effect prevents any state from exploring new ways of addressing the issue," said William E. Kirwan, chancellor of the Maryland state university system. "We have a crisis on our hands. We need some new ideas and new thinking."

He said the debate should not be just about lowering the drinking age. It's more important, he said, to focus on better alcohol abuse education on campuses or in driver education courses. But now, he said, new ideas can't be tested because of the federal law.

Advocates of the 21-year-old drinking age say it has saved thousands of lives. They say lowering the age will pass the drinking problem down the line to high school students and that national surveys have found the public supports keeping the age at 21.

"Drunk driving used to be a part of American culture until someone stood up and said we need to make a change, and 25 years later 'designated driver' is a commonplace term in every household in America," said Caroline Cash, executive director of Mothers Against Drunk Driving for Maryland and Delaware.

She said was disappointed that the university presidents did not talk with MADD before signing the statement. She said she also questions their commitment to upholding the law.

"It gives me great pause to think of sending thousands of students onto a campus where the person who is most accountable doesn't seem to be devoted to ensuring their health and safety," Cash said.

But university presidents say that is at the center of their concerns. They are worried about the binge drinking that underage students engage in before they go out - the goal being to get drunk as quickly as possible before going to public places where they won't be served.

"If they drink too much in the beginning [of an evening], they can get alcohol poisoning," said Baird Tipson, president of Washington College in Chestertown. "They're really not aware of how their judgment is impaired. We hope they don't get into a car. Or, if they're a young woman, go to a fraternity party. It's just not healthy."

He said at least 90 percent of the disciplinary cases that have come before him - including physical and sexual assaults - involve alcohol. And because underage drinking is forbidden of college campuses, students do it off-campus. That means getting home can be a problem, the presidents said.

"A lot of young people feel that they are afraid of enforcement" on campus, said Sanford J. Ungar, president of Goucher College. "They tend to get in a car and go someplace else - and that's very, very dangerous. I worry about it every weekend."

Several students interviewed yesterday at Johns Hopkins said lowering the drinking age could reduce binge drinking. "I think alcohol is seen, a lot of times, as a forbidden thing, and people want it," said Jamie Hittman, 20, a junior from Columbia. "It's almost like contraband. Once you get it, you have to drink all of it."

Katie Buckheit, 19 and also a junior, said if people were exposed to drinking at a younger age, they would be more mature about it. "Maybe I'm being idealistic, but in Europe you can drink once you can see the bar," she said. "I think we should maybe take a lesson from what other countries are doing."

But Laura Kranish, an 18-year-old sophomore from Silver Spring, said students would drink as much they do no matter what the drinking age is.

Robert Caret, the president of Towson University, says he personally believes 18 is a more reasonable drinking age than 21, but he is not working toward that end. Rather, he said, he welcomes the discussion on the issue.

"Let's debate the age and look at the pros and cons," he said. Caret, like the other presidents, knows he is treading on delicate ground. But the officials say they have seen too much tragedy and too many lives ruined by alcohol to abide the current policies.

"I really think we've got to somehow be able to control it better because what we have done now is driven it underground, and we can't do anything about it," said Tipson, the Washington College president. "There are a lot of things we could do if it wasn't underground."

stephen.kiehl@baltsun.com

Sun reporter Sumathi Reddy contributed to this article.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bal-te.md.drink19aug19,0,2322447.story

acptulsa
08-19-2008, 07:51 AM
I love it.

Let's prohibit it.

Hmmm... Prohibition doesn't work.

Let's prohibit it.

Hmmm... Prohibition doesn't work.

Let's prohibit it... ... ... ... ... ... ad nauseum

Conza88
08-19-2008, 07:58 AM
It's 16 in Germany. Totally takes away the cool factor... (for those that essentially do it, for that reason)

They don't have a binge drinking problem.. Not when I was there anyway.

England on the other hand.. lol But that's because they close down bars etc at 11pm, so people want to get all maggered real quick before it closes... lots of shots, it closes, then it hits them.. they're screwed.. Haha

From wiki:

Australia
A culture of binge drinking is prevalent among many communities. In a minority of social circles, binge drinking may begin at as young as 12-16, and may be very widely practiced and accepted by some by age 12-16.

Lol... Ya'll got nothing to worry about.

Menthol Patch
08-19-2008, 09:03 AM
It's very simple.

If you are old enough to serve in the military (18) or go to prison as an adult (18) you have the right to drink alcohol (or use other drugs for that matter).

Zolah
08-19-2008, 09:08 AM
There's quite a bit of talk about increasing the age of drinking to 21 in England and Wales from what I know, but I thoroughly believe common sense will prevail on this occassion and at least keep it at 18. Contrary to this idea, a lot of people (such as police officials) are talking about the importance of introducing children and teenagers to drink at a younger age, which I agree with (with supervision of family in home, etc.).

yongrel
08-19-2008, 09:20 AM
The 18-year-old freshman who headbutted my door last night at 2am is proof enough for me.

torchbearer
08-19-2008, 09:24 AM
The 18-year-old freshman who headbutted my door last night at 2am is proof enough for me.

was that his head or someone else's head being forced into your door? :confused:

yongrel
08-19-2008, 09:29 AM
was that his head or someone else's head being forced into your door? :confused:

His head, wrapped in a cardboard box. *sigh*

votefreedomfirst
08-19-2008, 09:35 AM
I don't ever see the law being changed. It's too lucrative for the state. It’s the same old song and dance: create criminals where there is no crime, and then extort money from them at the point of a gun.

angelatc
08-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Drinking ages not working? Then we just need to revisit prohibition, duh!

Matt Collins
08-19-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't ever see the law being changed. It's too lucrative for the state. It’s the same old song and dance: create criminals where there is no crime, and then extort money from them at the point of a gun.Possibly, but on a more transparent front you have to look at the parents groups and people like MADD who want to trample everyone's rights for their own agendas through the tool of legislation. These groups are VERY vocal.

Also keep in mind that this is a federal stipulation to each and every state in order to receive highway funds. So it's less likely to get changed (especially in an election year) because it has to be done at the federal level.

ClayTrainor
08-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Maybe because people find it ridiculous how any entity whatsoever can tell them when they can put something in their bodies. It's the same psychology as a kid rebelling against his parents. It's "cool" to do something years before your "supposed" to.

Are they gonna put an age limit on McDonalds, because of childhood obesity too? Government regulations are ridiculous.

Matt Collins
08-19-2008, 09:52 AM
It's 16 in Germany. Totally takes away the cool factor... (for those that essentially do it, for that reason)

They don't have a binge drinking problem.. Not when I was there anyway.Well maybe and maybe not. Germans have beer and drinking as part of their culture and have for hundreds of years. That is not necessarily so here in the US. The German culture about drinking is MUCH different than the American culture is about drinking.

I think that will change as my generation gets older (I'm 26) however for the time being drinking in the US is not the same as drinking in Germany because of these cultural differences.

Now some could argue that many Americans treat drinking as a recreational sport / right of passage BECAUSE of the unconstitutional and draconian laws the federal government. In other words people tend to abuse alcohol because they were not allowed to drink it when they were younger. I can definitely see a strong argument for that in many cases.

acptulsa
08-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Possibly, but on a more transparent front you have to look at the parents groups and people like MADD who want to trample everyone's rights for their own agendas through the tool of legislation. These groups are VERY vocal.

Granted. But to what degree are they financed by TPTB who want to lock all the teenagers up, get samples of their fingerprints and DNA, and extort their parents? Just because they were started at the grass roots level doesn't mean they remain grass roots organizations.

Also keep in mind that this is a federal stipulation to each and every state in order to receive highway funds. So it's less likely to get changed (especially in an election year) because it has to be done at the federal level.

This is exactly the sort of thing the Founding Fathers didn't think the federal government had any business mucking around in. Yes, it's likely to be done at the federal level, but it certainly does not 'have to be'.

As for drinking in American culture, well, the first Germans came over in the nineteenth century--and more than a few of them were brewers. Ben Franklin drank. What?