PDA

View Full Version : Did Texas Just Legalize It?

constituent
08-31-2007, 02:08 PM
so i'm hearing they just made possession of less than a quarter pound of pot a ticketable offense....

true or false?

DjLoTi
08-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Check out norml for more info

constituent
08-31-2007, 02:16 PM
i'm not seeing anything on norml, but i'm hearing this from several different sources in austin and around here.

cujothekitten
08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
True
http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/local/local_story_243120644.html

kylejack
08-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Decriminalized. It can be just a citation now, if the P.D. desires.

http://www.mineralwellsindex.com/homepage/local_story_243095443.html?keyword=leadpicturestor y

constituent
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

::dancing in the street::

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

kylejack
True
http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/local/local_story_243120644.html

De-criminalized, not legalized. Arrest is still optional, as well.

constituent
08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
someone call Willie!!!!!!

constituent
08-31-2007, 02:23 PM
i just talked to a friend who works w/ the DPS and he said the word is to not arrest... whatsoever (assuming less than 2, not 4 ounces).... they are enormously overcrowded as it is.

NoxTwilight
08-31-2007, 02:29 PM
Good for them, about bloody time.

hard@work
08-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Thank God, nice job Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FluffyUnbound
08-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Don't overstate what's happening here.

The possession penalties remain the same.

The police can now issue a ticket to the offender [requiring them to show up in court to face the same sentences as before] rather than arresting them on the spot.

It's not that big a change.

kylejack
08-31-2007, 02:33 PM
i just talked to a friend who works w/ the DPS and he said the word is to not arrest... whatsoever (assuming less than 2, not 4 ounces).... they are enormously overcrowded as it is.

The article I linked above says that DPS will continue to arrest everyone. Shrug.

constituent
08-31-2007, 02:37 PM
huh... i'll trust my friend. i've been let off more than once anyway.

and to stay out of county... well yea, that's a big deal (in most counties)

lucius
08-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Tonight’s weekly Texas Holdem game with the cops might be really interesting!

RP4ME
08-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Yeah where our Willie on ol' Ron Paul! ?? Hes gotta be a Liberrtarian - man hasnt much cottoned to paying taxes.....or NOT smoking weed!

constituent
08-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Yea! And Robert Earl Keen too damnit!!!!

where are these guys on RP's campaign?

and

James McMurtry

constituent
08-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Don't overstate what's happening here.

The possession penalties remain the same.

The police can now issue a ticket to the offender [requiring them to show up in court to face the same sentences as before] rather than arresting them on the spot.

It's not that big a change.

Most cops in Texas don't care if you smoke (there's always a hard ass somewhere), and will let you off if you tell 'em you've got a stash or whatever, no ticket, no jail, no court. and that's with the opportunity to haul you in.

Now that it's just a ticket and most of them don't really care anyway, well.. i'm hoping for the best. Most cops are really great people who hate their job (or their boss, hours, etc.) just like the rest of us and don't want to go about ruining people's lives... this just lets them leave the pot smokers alone w/out feeling guilty for not doing their job.

Elwar
08-31-2007, 02:51 PM
hmm...so the law gives Texas law men the ability to discriminate.

That's great...if you're white.

constituent
08-31-2007, 02:57 PM
For example in a marijuana case the evidence would still have to be property bagged and tagged, another time-consuming process. “Booking somebody in jail is all the time it’s going to save you,” he said.

that's from the news story someone linked about.... i love that... time-consuming.

constituent
08-31-2007, 02:57 PM
That's great...if you're white.

now that is some dumb racist shit right there. lots of minority cops in this state friend.

Hurricane Bruiser
08-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Well it's a step in the right direction at least. Now if the Fed doesn't try to over-ride the change like they do with medical marijuana laws.

ghemminger
08-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Texas on the forefront of leaglizing cannibis?

hard@work
08-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Texas on the forefront of leaglizing cannibis?

Not if the Californians can beat them to it!!! And we're pretty damn close.

;)

ghemminger
08-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Not if the Californians can beat them to it!!! And we're pretty damn close.

;)

Yeah I think it's leagl to actually light up with a cop on there donut break...right?

Elwar
08-31-2007, 03:19 PM
now that is some dumb racist shit right there. lots of minority cops in this state friend.

Just being practical. How many policemen will use this as justification for allowing some young white college students a break while throwing a hispanic guy in a poor neighborhood into the police car?

If a law is going to exist it should be enforced equally or not exist at all.

ghemminger
08-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Just being practical. How many policemen will use this as justification for allowing some young white college students a break while throwing a hispanic guy in a poor neighborhood into the police car?

If a law is going to exist it should be enforced equally or not exist at all.

If all laws were enforced we would not be able to anything - WE over legislate in this country!

constituent
08-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Yea and how many mexican cops will throw a white college kid in jail while letting some mexican kid go (just 'cuz the white kid got some opportunity he didn't.. blah).

much more frequently.

SwordOfShannarah
08-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Texas - The Lone Bud State

ghemminger
08-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Yea and how many mexican cops will throw a white college kid in jail while letting some mexican kid go (just 'cuz the white kid got some opportunity he didn't.. blah).

much more frequently.

How can you head even fit anywhere near your ass?????I can barely touch my toes with my legs st8

specsaregood
08-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Most cops are really great people who hate their job (or their boss, hours, etc.) just like the rest of us and don't want to go about ruining people's lives...

I like TX cops. I've gotten pulled over 3 times for speeding in TX over the past decade. I was let go with a warning EVERY SINGLE TIME, no tickets. Yay, texas cops.

ghemminger
08-31-2007, 03:50 PM
I like TX cops. I've gotten pulled over 3 times for speeding in TX over the past decade. I was let go with a warning EVERY SINGLE TIME, no tickets. Yay, texas cops.

Do you have Southern Drawl and are you white?;)

Elwar
08-31-2007, 03:50 PM
If all laws were enforced we would not be able to anything - WE over legislate in this country!

All laws should be enforced. That way those who write the laws and those who support those who write the laws will think twice about writing them.

A perfect example I use for this is a small county in Georgia where alcohol was made illegal. It worked just like you would think...alcohol consumption went down a bit, perhaps mainly just underground, people went out of the county to buy it etc...

Then the town got a "by the book" sheriff who believed in enforcing the laws to the T busting all use of alcoholic beverages in that county. When he busted one of the town legislators (who had voted for the law) for having wine with dinner the law was brought back up and summarily withdrawn.

All laws should be enforced equally and without discrimination.

constituent
08-31-2007, 04:21 PM
texas is a "minority-majority" state elwar and ghemminger. i've been discriminated against by many many many all hispanic establishments, as have most whites. reverse-racism is rampant amongst many mexican-americans.

they've got their honkies too.

ghemminger
08-31-2007, 04:25 PM
uh...I can't argue with you guys! not sure where I stand now.

richard1984
08-31-2007, 04:42 PM
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

::dancing in the street::

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Word.

Of course...I'm in Tennessee. But it's a sign of progress!!! :D

ghemminger
08-31-2007, 04:43 PM
I see a Hydro plantonics supply shop in every quickie mart shopping center

DjLoTi
08-31-2007, 06:41 PM