PDA

View Full Version : Essay Against Liberalism

TastyWheat
08-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not linking to one, I need to find a specific one. I think I read it off Daily Paul but I haven't been able to find it again. The main theme of the article/essay was that abusing power even in the name of good is bad. It stated that most atrocities in history were carried out with good intentions but caused much more harm than good. It was a pretty old essay I think, because it was written in a kind of old English Common Sense style. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Anti Federalist
08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm not linking to one, I need to find a specific one. I think I read it off Daily Paul but I haven't been able to find it again. The main theme of the article/essay was that abusing power even in the name of good is bad. It stated that most atrocities in history were carried out with good intentions but caused much more harm than good. It was a pretty old essay I think, because it was written in a kind of old English Common Sense style. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

"The ends do not justify the means".

Sorry, just being flippant, I don't know which article you are looking for.;)

TastyWheat
08-17-2008, 11:30 PM
These articles have the same idea but they're not the one I'm looking for. The one I read was very lengthy.

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/archives/id/13647/
http://www.lewrockwell.com/shaffer/shaffer45.html

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
08-18-2008, 01:59 AM

Most political works are jargon instead of essays.

Jargon is terminology that relates to a specific activity, profession or group. Much like slang it develops as a kind of shorthand, to quickly express ideas that are frequently discussed between members of a group. In many cases a standard term may be given a more precise or specialized usage among practitioners of a field. In many cases this may cause a barrier to communication as many may not understand -- wiki.

An essay is a short piece of writing. It is often written from an author's personal point of view. Essays can be literary criticism, political manifestos, learned arguments, observations of daily life, recollections, and reflections of the author.

Most political works tend not to be short pieces of an author's personal views but tend to use the social jargon created by a group, conservatives for example, who are apposed to the jargon of another group of people, liberals for example. This generally leaves the political work with a very weak thesis statement and a very poor argument in general. Consider that the protagonist political viewpoint is only as sophisticated as the sophistication of how well the antagonistic viewpoint is presented. This goes against the nature of politics. Therefore, most political work written is by nature jargon. Very few people alive today have the ability to write political essays. Now our Founding Fathers could write political essays but they didn't have radio, TV or the internet.