PDA

View Full Version : the post-american world (foreigners have gotten good at capitalism)

Monolithic
08-17-2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/17/sunday/main4356248.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_4356248

"At one level a post-American world is a sign of American failure, and at another it's a sign of glorious success," said Zakaria. "Why is this happening? Because countries around the world are doing what we've been telling them to do for the last 60 years: open yourself up to capitalism, to free trade, to technology."

But Zakaria worries that one day historians will write about how the United States globalized the world, but forgot to globalize itself.

Kraig
08-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Sad and true.

Conza88
08-17-2008, 06:47 PM
No see I pretty much entirely disagree...

None of them have Capitalism. They've all moved towards more open and free-er trade / managed trade... and their benefiting from the advancements in technology.

That is all. They've all got central banks, most live of credit (western world now anyway), (not capital / savings. All fiat currencies. Property rights on the decrease...

LOoooooooong way to go.

Kraig
08-17-2008, 06:48 PM
No see I pretty much entirely disagree...

None of them have Capitalism. They've all moved towards more open and free-er trade / managed trade... and their benefiting from the advancements in technology.

That is all. They've all got central banks, most live of credit (western world now anyway), (not capital / savings. All fiat currencies. Property rights on the decrease...

LOoooooooong way to go.

The point is they are moving forward while we are moving backwards.

RSLudlum
08-17-2008, 06:56 PM

the global leveling effect, the world is indeed becoming flat from our perspective. ;)

Conza88
08-17-2008, 08:26 PM

Yes. :)

rvkpa
08-18-2008, 12:02 AM
That is the one thing I never understood about globalization. Many people talk about it as if it is a good thing. Even people, especially people, in this country. I see it as a bad thing. We've been trading our wages and our prosperity for the prosperity of others for many many years. I'm all for charity, but it seems as if we are shooting ourselves in the foot. (I am a US Citizen)