PDA

View Full Version : The Story of Stuff

JS4Pat
08-16-2008, 03:40 PM
I watched the following video that was posted on Daily Paul:
http://www.storyofstuff.com/

It's called "The Story of Stuff" and it basically walks you through the production process from A to Z.

When I finished watching it I couldn't help but question whether or not there was a flaw in the Capitalist/Free Market System when it comes to the environment, labor and large corporations.

I'm not saying there is a better system - I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on some of the shortcomings pointed out in this video.

jerry
08-16-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm forced to buy a gas car, but I want a solar one. In a true free market, most people would buy ethical goods if given have the chance. Gov't subsidies force harmful goods to be cheaper than fairtrade/organic/green ones.

She did a good job with her video, I appreciate what she's done.

I think more needs to be said on the sacredness of breastfeeding and bonding with mother. The bankers and neoconns want to control things because they don't feel safe inside.

zeke105
08-16-2008, 10:11 PM
The problem isn't capitalism; it's consumerism. People buy too much crap. As a result, the companies started making products with short life expectancies so people would have to buy even more crap. It really is a mess. You can't buy anything that lasts anymore, but everything is so cheap, why would you? That is the basic philosophy of our society.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
08-16-2008, 10:43 PM
if hemp were legalized, we could rely on it as a biodegradable form of plastic. Thus a lot of would-be waste can instead become compost.