PDA

View Full Version : Nixon took us off gold standard by Executive Order. Can next president repeal his EO?

fight4liberty
08-16-2008, 04:47 AM
I was recently remembering RP talking in the old days about what powers a president has that he could use to restore the republic if he were elected and of course the main one he talked about was the president's control of the military allowing him to end the Iraq war and bring the troops home. However, he also talked about how a president would have the authority to repeal Executive Orders of prior presidents that were unconstitutional.

I found out today that President Nixon abolished the last connection of the dollar with gold back in 1971 via an Executive Order. So, I was thinking wouldn't it follow that when we get a liberty minded president elected he would be able to repeal Nixon's EO that got us off the gold standard? And for that matter wouldn't he be able to go right back down the track and repeal all EO's having to do with the nation's abandonment of the gold standard???

Of course, there are laws enacted by Congress that will also need to be repealed to completely restore sound money, including the "biggie" the Federal Reserve Act, which will take a long range educational effort by the grassroots to accomplish but it looks to me like a helluva lot could be done to rapidly restore sound money by a president using his EO authority and repealing Nixon's EO.

If you look at a graph of inflation or the National Debt that covers the last two or more hundred years you will see a relatively flat graph up until Nixon took us completely off the gold standard in 1971 and then you see a huge spike in the graph that is still going up in a nearly verticle climb!

Check out the graph in this video on inflation from 1665 to 2008 . If you're in a hurry drag the pointer over to about 7:30.

http://www.chrismartenson.com/inflation

So if the real dagger in the heart of the nation came when Nixon took us completely off the gold standard then just getting us back to some solid connection to gold again should start to undo tons of damage that has been caused. Of course, the job won't be done until we repeal the Federal Reserve Act and the Fourteenth Amendment but those actions will involve the Congress passing laws to repeal them and so we're definitely talking about a long term activity to do that.

Which is why the idea of a president being able to repeal some key EO's is so appealing to me. It would take a lot less time to do it.

Of course, RP also has talked a lot about making it legal for people to use gold and silver as an alternate currency again, but if I'm not mistaken doing this will require Congress to repeal some existing laws. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) So if this is true we are again talking about a long term activity.

And I'm not taking into consideration the logistics that may be involved even if a president repealed Nixon's EO on the gold standard, so maybe it would take longer than I think to get us back to actually using a gold standard. Maybe some of you can fill in some of the blank spots in my analysis.

However, even if there are some logistics problems does anybody agree with my general idea that a future liberty minded president could take a fast, big step to reverse one of the main reasons for the dollar's rapid, steady decline and the huge mounting National Debt by using his authority to recind prior EO's particularly Nixon's 1971 EO?

Raditude
08-16-2008, 04:54 AM
I think there's a little more to it than that.

First, we would need to make sure there is enough gold in there to back the dollar. If there isn't as much gold, as what the dollar is worth now, then switching back to the gold standard would weaken our dollar further. By doing that we further put our economy in shambles. Hopefully we'll have enough gold to cover the amount of money in circulation, and then some, so that would boost the value of the dollar, and thus our economy.

Danke
08-16-2008, 05:15 AM
First off. There is a lot of gold. Just not reported. But it would come out if we make it part of a monetary standard. Grandma has got a secret.

Secondly, Executive Orders are for the Executive Branch. Congress makes laws, if you challenge them, the Judiciary decides and can be over ruled by We The People in the Jury and other means (redress, etc.).

Bradley in DC
08-16-2008, 05:39 AM
In practice, it would not be so simple, no. And other things have changed. For example, under the Bretton Woods Agreement (which is what it seems to which you want to return), the IMF required nations to use gold as money--now they prohibit it.

I explained the how to transition to sound money here:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/AfycBeR,mnEYaL2pa,BtD5.VBYK3cgTY

Catatonic
08-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Just repeal whatever law bans competing currencies