PDA

View Full Version : Gold and Silver DROP!!!

pappy
08-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Wow. Just Wow!

Gathering funds for big silver buy soon.

www.kitco.com

pappy

Fox McCloud
08-15-2008, 12:06 AM
$12.62 for silver? Excellent time to buy...wonder if it'll go lower?

Central Bank collusion at its finest.

Gideon
08-15-2008, 12:50 AM
$12.62 for silver? Excellent time to buy...wonder if it'll go lower?

Central Bank collusion at its finest.

Keep buying silver all the way down, and all the way back up, until there ain't no more physical silver to buy.

There's plenty of gold...

roshie
08-15-2008, 01:11 AM
I've been doing some research and it looks like the big banks are lowering prices on commodities and getting ready for a big loss next week.

Thrashertm
08-15-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm going to buy some more silver...but good grief. This is scary. I think I'm down 25% this year on commodities. This is after being up about 10% - so a 35% swing!!

NinjaPirate
08-15-2008, 07:21 AM
I wish I had money... *cry*

Cowlesy
08-15-2008, 07:25 AM
whew baby she's droppin like a stone :)

i don't see why people are grinding their teeth over this --- it just makes it cheaper for you to buy.

Johnnybags
08-15-2008, 07:25 AM
I suspect some major players are being forced out of the market all at once. Perfect time to take long term advantage.

Bruno
08-15-2008, 08:02 AM

i don't see why people are grinding their teeth over this --- it just makes it cheaper for you to buy.

The only question is how low will it go?

Cowlesy
08-15-2008, 08:13 AM
The only question is how low will it go?

$500 is my entry point for gold...it's arbitrary though.

muh_roads
08-15-2008, 09:00 AM

Because I already blew my load much higher and don't have any more to buy. :-(

Dr.3D
08-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Because I already blew my load much higher and don't have any more to buy. :-(

It isn't easy to find any to buy right now anyway. Why if everybody is selling, is there nothing to buy?

muh_roads
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm working to try and match my $500 purchase at 19silver by buying another $500 at these levels.

But I can't match my much larger 4 figure purchases for each gold & silver when they were at 890 & 17...and then another smaller 4 figure amount of gold at $970 I am just a bit annoyed about that.

I don't really NEED the money but it'd be nice to know I could cash back out. Right now I definitely can't.

At least I didn't buy anything on any sort of margin loan, I guess. Never buy with money you don't have. Home equity is okay.

Shinerxx
08-15-2008, 09:18 AM
It isn't easy to find any to buy right now anyway. Why if everybody is selling, is there nothing to buy?

The vast majority of people selling are selling paper PMs like the ETFs SLV (http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=AMEX:SLV) or GLD (http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:GLD). I believe the majority of people that buy physical precious metals have a long position. Since most physical investors are holding their stacks there is less bullion to go around.

Dr.3D
08-15-2008, 09:20 AM
The vast majority of people selling are selling paper PMs like the ETFs SLV (http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=AMEX:SLV) or GLD (http://finance.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:GLD). I believe the majority of people that buy physical precious metals have a long position. Since most physical investors are holding their stacks there is less bullion to go around.

Exactly! The silver and gold being sold and lowering the price of those metals is non existent paper metals.

Edit: What I mean by non existent paper metals is the paper is unbacked by any physical metal.

TheEvilDetector
08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Exactly! The silver and gold being sold and lowering the price of those metals is non existent paper metals.

Edit: What I mean by non existent paper metals is the paper is unbacked by any physical metal.

My thinking is that there is a dislocation between spot price and the market. (ie. the physical market is not liquid right now, because the dealers do not have any stock or are not willing to sell at these artificially depressed prices).

I think silver and gold will rebound within 1 week.

theoakman
I would be buying at these prices. If you wanna know what the REAL market is doing, check apmex and see what's available right now. That's right, NEXT TO NOTHING. No one is willing to sell them their metals at these prices but everyone is willing to buy.

Shinerxx
Exactly! The silver and gold being sold and lowering the price of those metals is fiat paper metals.

The ETFs could lie about their holdings. I do not feel they do. Occam's razor states the simplest answer is usually the correct answer. It seems more simple to say that the ETFs were heavy on short positions that are jumping ship to get on board the dollar rally. Imaging something insidious going on with precious metal ETFs seems more complicated to me.

Bruno
08-15-2008, 09:39 AM

Two local dealers had no K-rands to buy. If people were dumping physical gold, you'd think there'd be a few to pick up.

danberkeley
08-15-2008, 09:47 AM
could be the PPT via centrals banks that surpressing the price of gold. wouldnt be surprised if oil dropped 40% from its high and gold matched an equal plunge.

Dr.3D
08-15-2008, 09:49 AM
The ETFs could lie about their holdings. I do not feel they do. Occam's razor states the simplest answer is usually the correct answer. It seems more simple to say that the ETFs were heavy on short positions that are jumping ship to get on board the dollar rally. Imaging something insidious going on with precious metal ETFs seems more complicated to me.

Then please tell me why if I have four thousand ounces of silver bought in an ETF, when I call them and tell them to deliver, they say they have a six month waiting period because they have to "manufacture" the silver? All they need to do is go to the vault they are storing the silver in and grab four one thousand ounce bars and ship them. After all, what is in the vault is one thousand ounce bars and there should be no need to manufacture anything.

Bruno
08-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Then please tell me why if I have four thousand ounces of silver bought in an ETF, when I call them and tell them to deliver, they say they have a six month waiting period because they have to "manufacture" the silver? All they need to do is go to the vault they are storing the silver in and grab four one thousand ounce bars and ship them. After all, what is in the vault is one thousand ounce bars and there should be no need to manufacture anything.

That is scary enough to deter me from ETF's. Now imagine what it would be like to get your silver when times are really tough and everyone is calling for delivery.

Dr.3D
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM
That is scary enough to deter me from ETF's. Now imagine what it would be like to get your silver when times are really tough and everyone is calling for delivery.

This is why I took delivery and have stayed out of the ETF's ever since. When it is on paper, you don't really have anything but paper. Just like the fiat dollar.

Shinerxx
08-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Then please tell me why if I have four thousand ounces of silver bought in an ETF, when I call them and tell them to deliver, they say they have a six month waiting period because they have to "manufacture" the silver?

I know nothing about silver ETFs. I prefer to hold the element in my hand. I do know something about how the human mind works. When my wife and I go out to eat on a Friday night the restaurants are always packed with people. The hostess will usually be teenage girl and will inform us of our wait time. Nice times out of ten the wait time far exceeds our actual wait time. The grossly over exaggerated wait time had two benefits for the hostess. If our actual wait time was under the estimate my wife and I were happy so the hostess does not have disgruntled guests. Also, the estimated wait time encouraged my wife and I to reconsider our restaurant choice. Sometimes the wait time is so ridiculous we might even leave and either try our luck somewhere else or skip the dinner out and eat at home. If my wife and I leave, the restaurant does lose our purchase however the hostess is the person that gave the estimate. She benefits because now she does not have to deal with us. The hostess already had two dozen tables on wait.

It seems easier for me to imagine the ridiculous 6 month wait time to have two benefits for the ETF. First, if they get you the silver in less than 6 months you would be happy. Second, it discourages a client from taking delivery altogether. The ETF wants to keep your silver.

My wife got food poisoning from a restaurant we went to about 3 months ago. The restaurant also happens to be one of my favorite places. We have not been back since she got sick because she no longer trusts the restaurant. I say if someone does not trust the ETF then sell or take delivery and wait your agreed upon wait time. Find a place for your money that you trust and you may sleep better at night.

Dr.3D
08-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I know nothing about silver ETFs. I prefer to hold the element in my hand. I do know something about how the human mind works. When my wife and I go out to eat on a Friday night the restaurants are always packed with people. The hostess will usually be teenage girl and will inform us of our wait time. Nice times out of ten the wait time far exceeds our actual wait time. The grossly over exaggerated wait time had two benefits for the hostess. If our actual wait time was under the estimate my wife and I were happy so the hostess does not have disgruntled guests. Also, the estimated wait time encouraged my wife and I to reconsider our restaurant choice. Sometimes the wait time is so ridiculous we might even leave and either try our luck somewhere else or skip the dinner out and eat at home. If my wife and I leave, the restaurant does lose our purchase however the hostess is the person that gave the estimate. She benefits because now she does not have to deal with us. The hostess already had two dozen tables on wait.

It seems easier for me to imagine the ridiculous 6 month wait time to have two benefits for the ETF. First, if they get you the silver in less than 6 months you would be happy. Second, it discourages a client from taking delivery altogether. The ETF wants to keep your silver.

My wife got food poisoning from a restaurant we went to about 3 months ago. The restaurant also happens to be one of my favorite places. We have not been back since she got sick because she no longer trusts the restaurant. I say if someone does not trust the ETF then sell or take delivery and wait your agreed upon wait time. Find a place for your money that you trust and you may sleep better at night.

So much for fast food. :) I'll take my sausage to go.

Johnnybags
08-15-2008, 01:21 PM
in exchange for bullion, any less shares are bought and sold in the open market only. If you have 50k shares they will redeem it.

I think that was before the 10/1 split too so you need 500k new shares of slv to ask for a redemption.

Dr.3D
08-15-2008, 02:17 PM
in exchange for bullion, any less shares are bought and sold in the open market only. If you have 50k shares they will redeem it.

I think that was before the 10/1 split too so you need 500k new shares of slv to ask for a redemption.

I guess a mere 400 shares doesn't cut it anymore. Sigh....
500k shares would be 5 million ounces of silver. That sir is a lot of silver.

danberkeley
08-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I guess a mere 400 shares doesn't cut it anymore. Sigh....
500k shares would be 5 million ounces of silver. That sir is a lot of silver.

Each share is one ounce of silver, therefore, 500K shares = 500K ounces = approx. $6,350,000

Bruno
08-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Swiss America says August is a time to buy and this has happened the last six years.

1. 2003 - Gold at $382 dropped to $319 (-16%)
2. 2004 - Gold at $425 dropped to $375 (-13%)
3. 2005 - Gold at $536 dropped to $489 (-9%)
4. 2006 - Gold at $725 dropped to $560 (-22%)
5. 2007 - Gold at $841 dropped to $778 (-8%)
6. 2008 – Gold hit $1002 on Mar 17 then dropped to $786 on Aug 15 (-21.5%)

Dr.3D
08-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Each share is one ounce of silver, therefore, 500K shares = 500K ounces = approx. $6,350,000

When did they change a share of SLV from 10 ounces of silver to one ounce of silver?

voytechs
08-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Swiss America says August is a time to buy and this has happened the last six years.

Interesting.

axiomata
08-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Wish I would have known that in July.

Bruno
08-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Wish I would have known that in July.

You're not alone on that wish.

tmosley
08-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah, that's good info to have.

What is the cause of this cycle?