PDA

View Full Version : The Intelligence Trap

Matt Collins
08-14-2008, 04:52 PM
The Intelligence Trap

Why aren't all smart people libertarians?

Why do many intelligent, thoughtful, and knowledgeable people believe some things that are clearly false?

Why are many bright people nearly immune to evidence and argument that would refute their mistaken beliefs?

Because they are smart.

Because they have the brainpower to create a convincing case for any belief they hold. Much as a lawyer could make a case for prosecution or defense. Much as a high school debater can skillfully argue both sides of a question. Much as a chess master can play the black pieces or the white ones.

Because they are intelligent enough to fend off attacks to their false beliefs - - and counter-attack their challenger's position.

Because they are admired and praised and celebrated by those who share their beliefs. Because they are pursued and wooed by those whose values they advance and defend. Because they are valued and rewarded for intelligently championing the beliefs.

The Intelligence Trap.

Conservatives. Consider William F. Buckley, George Will, or William Safire. Or Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, or Ann Coulter.

Liberals/Progressives. Consider John Kenneth Galbraith, Sidney Hook, or Michael Harrington. Or Michael Moore, George Lakoff, or Al Gore.

Libertarians. Consider Ayn Rand, Ludwig von Mises, or Milton Friedman. Or Henry Hazlitt, Robert Heinlein, or Harry Browne.

All intelligent. Knowledgeable. Thoughtful.

Yet they disagree.

Why?

The Intelligence Trap.

Their intelligence lets them build a strong case for a belief, present a strong case for it, defend it against opponents, and attack their opponents' belief.

Just as a good bodyguard can defend a bad person, a smart person can defend a dumb idea. As well as a smart idea.

Just as a sharp blade in a surgeon's hand can be a life-saving instrument, in a murderer's hand it can be a death-dealing weapon.

"How can someone that smart believe in trade protectionism?" you ask. The Intelligence Trap.

"How can someone that bright defend government-run health care?" you ask.
The Intelligence Trap.

"How can anyone that intelligent support Drug Prohibition?" you ask. The Intelligence Trap.

There may be nothing wrong with the evidence or arguments you present to these smart people.

They may be trapped by their own intelligence.

PERSUASION POWER POINT #253
by Michael Cloud
--------------------------------------------------------
* NOTE: "The Intelligence Trap" is Edward de Bono's insight. He explores and
explains it in his book "De Bono's Thinking Course." The essay above is my
application of part of his idea.

Michael Cloud is author of the acclaimed book "Secrets of Libertarian
Persuasion" available exclusively from the Advocates:
http://www.TheAdvocates.org/secrets.html (https://webmail.cumulus.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.TheAdvocates.org/secrets.html).

In 2000, Michael was honored with the Thomas Paine Award as the Most Persuasive Libertarian Communicator in America.

Truth Warrior
08-15-2008, 11:44 AM
The siren song of wealth, fame, prestige, power, etc., and of just "going along to get along" and "gaming the system" is a strong and seductive lure to many.<IMHO>

phixion
08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
You describe the member Theocrat on this board accurately in regards to religion.

The intelligence trap. What a wonderful way to sum up certain people and their beliefs. They ain't hard to spot.

Pete

Kade
08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
The Intelligence Trap.

It works both ways... the problem with the theory is that it presupposes that one side is absolutely correct... it's about worldviews. I hold a naturalistic, scientific worldview, and I don't accept nonsense that contradicts it... regardless of it's source. That the concept of an "intelligence trap" ought to used to make a case against intellectuals is itself a trap. It may be true that people are good at defending nonsense (like free market purism), but true intellectuals can hold with the rest of them, and can make convincing cases. I trust people who can have their minds changed by rational discourse...

Someone is always wrong about something, and how they come to terms with this, and react, goes a long way to deciding how valid this person's views of the world may be...

I was wrong about Obama's liberty minded intent, and was proven so by the FISA vote and the faith-based initiatives expansion.

There are things I know I am right about, especially in regards to things in my field, science-related.

Truth Warrior
08-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Why Smart People Do Stupid Things (Paperback)

by Gene F Ostrom (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Gene%20F%20Ostrom) (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Why-Smart-People-Stupid-Things/dp/0595187986

Editorial Reviews
Product Description

Why Smart People Do Stupid Things addresses a question that's frequently on our minds. When Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky was exposed many people were utterly astounded. How could he? Most of us were asking.

Answers aren't easy to come by because we have spent considerable time building on our strengths to the neglect of our dark side.

We aren't only puzzled when we see friends, co-workers, or public leaders engage in stupid, unseemly, unexplainable acts, we are personally threatened by it. If them, why not still others or perhaps ourselves. This book looks at numerous examples of apparently unexplainable stupidities with particular focus upon Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton.

Every mindless act doesn't turn out wrong. There are occasions when the outcome greatly benefits us. On the other hand, there are many times when the result goes against us to our disadvantage if not to the point of tragedy. Why? This book addresses the complex issues involved in making rational decisions, including excusable error. Analyses are offered in a readily understandable style. Potential solutions are described. The topic is of vital interest to us individually as well as to the nation.

About the Author

The writer's doctorate is clinical psychology. His forty years experience as psychotherapy supervisor, mental health administrator, teacher, and author was in various mental health settings serving all ages and diagnostic classifications.

As a Presbyterian Elder, he taught Sunday school and was school superintendent. Theology and philosophy are among his interests.

brandon
08-15-2008, 12:26 PM
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

^^^

Truth Warrior
08-15-2008, 12:39 PM
"Most of the greatest evils that man has inflicted upon man have come through people feeling quite certain about something which, in fact, was false." -- Bertrand Russell

;)

Truth Warrior
08-16-2008, 07:17 AM
bump

constituent
08-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Someone is always wrong about something, and how they come to terms with this, and react, goes a long way to deciding how valid this person's views of the world may be...

well said.

libertea
08-16-2008, 11:51 AM
We are always hearing of people who are around
SEEKING AFTER TRUTH. I have never seen a (permanent) specimen. I think
he had never lived. But I have seen several entirely sincere people who
THOUGHT they were (permanent) Seekers after Truth. They sought
diligently, persistently, carefully, cautiously, profoundly, with perfect
honesty and nicely adjusted judgment--until they believed that without
doubt or question they had found the Truth. THAT WAS THE END OF THE
SEARCH. The man spent the rest of his life hunting up shingles wherewith
to protect his Truth from the weather.

--Mark Twain from "What Is Man"

Truth Warrior
08-16-2008, 11:56 AM
We are always hearing of people who are around
SEEKING AFTER TRUTH. I have never seen a (permanent) specimen. I think
he had never lived. But I have seen several entirely sincere people who
THOUGHT they were (permanent) Seekers after Truth. They sought
diligently, persistently, carefully, cautiously, profoundly, with perfect
honesty and nicely adjusted judgment--until they believed that without
doubt or question they had found the Truth. THAT WAS THE END OF THE
SEARCH. The man spent the rest of his life hunting up shingles wherewith
to protect his Truth from the weather.

--Mark Twain from "What Is Man" I learned much from Mark Twain. The never ending search and quest for truth continues.<IMHO> ;)