PDA

View Full Version : How do we get Barr into the debates?

Matt Collins
08-14-2008, 04:36 PM
What would it take for us to get Barr into the debates?

MRoCkEd
08-14-2008, 04:37 PM
$5-10 million to start

ItsTime
08-14-2008, 04:38 PM
10% in the polls is what I heard, before he even has a chance. McCain and Obama dont even want to debate themselves. It will pretty hard to get a third person in the mix.

libertythor
08-14-2008, 04:45 PM
We need to get moving on some huge money bombs. One problem is that Barr's online presence isn't nearly as strong as RP's was.

Matt Collins
08-14-2008, 04:53 PM
We need to get moving on some huge money bombs. One problem is that Barr's online presence isn't nearly as strong as RP's was.Barr is divisive among libertarians and Ron Paul supporters.

Regardless of that, the question remains, what are the specific rules to get into the debates?

Lovecraftian4Paul
08-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah, Barr's fundraising is no better than Nader's so far, possibly worse. He really needs a shot in the arm from donors in the next few weeks if he is to stand any chance at getting in the debates. With enough money, they could run national ads telling voters who he is, what he stands for, and why he's a real alternative to the two wax figures from the major parties.

Matt Collins
08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Does anyone have any hard facts?

The_Orlonater
08-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Ugh, it's disgusting on how people make all these rules against 3rd party candidates.

Lovecraftian4Paul
08-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Ugh, it's disgusting on how people make all these rules against 3rd party candidates.

Yes, sadly too many of us let them get away with it. The only debate barrier should be 5%. That would let in both Barr and Nader.

surf
08-14-2008, 05:03 PM
http://www.debates.org/

Commission on Presidential Debates website. For those of you too lazy to google....

Indicators of Electoral Support

The CPD's third criterion requires that the candidate have a level of support of at least 15% (fifteen percent) of the national electorate as determined by five selected national public opinion polling organizations, using the average of those organizations' most recent publicly-reported results at the time of the determination.

Matt Collins
08-14-2008, 05:36 PM
http://www.debates.org/

Commission on Presidential Debates website. For those of you too lazy to google....
We're boned

scandinaviany3
08-14-2008, 10:51 PM
the only way i could see is if barr and baldwin teamed up on the LP ticket and let the root drop off. Maybe the two vp's could join forces on the cp ticket

dont know..but it sure would help to have these two guys working with each other instead of against each other for money, endorsement being possible from ron paul, etc

It would give a real shot in the arm for everyone to decide to get involved

tonesforjonesbones
08-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Yes it is really too bad the libertarians are grudge voting against Barr and the Ron Paul Revolution is split. Neither Barr or Baldwin will likely make any waves now. Barr missed getting on the wv ballot. I would say...they are burining up any money they raise trying to get on ballots..and they can't really campaign because of that ballot issue. This is terrible. I guess we are tanked. With the current events who knows if there will even be an election anyway. Hillary Clinton is back in the race for the demoncrats...she got her delegates. Tones

kombayn
08-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Bob Barr needs a miracle, a message and well... he's screwed. The anarchists were right in wanting Mary Ruwart, she'd be doing the same as Barr right now but with probably a little bit more funding. Ralph Nader is destroying Bob Barr in fund-raising. I don't even know if Bob Barr will be able to get a million votes now this election.

Kludge
08-15-2008, 01:23 AM
Bob Barr needs a miracle, a message and well... he's screwed. The anarchists were right in wanting Mary Ruwart, she'd be doing the same as Barr right now but with probably a little bit more funding. Ralph Nader is destroying Bob Barr in fund-raising. I don't even know if Bob Barr will be able to get a million votes now this election.

Idunno, with the 6% Zogby poll, I remain excited and optimistic. Besides, even one percent would be far more then the LP usually gets nationally.

Monolithic
08-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Idunno, with the 6% Zogby poll, I remain excited and optimistic. Besides, even one percent would be far more then the LP usually gets nationally.

you're talking about the zogby ONLINE poll right

Kludge
08-15-2008, 01:46 AM
you're talking about the zogby ONLINE poll right

Hmmm... I'm unsure...

The Democrat also leads 44% to 38% in the nationwide horserace test as Libertarian Bob Barr wins 6%

UTICA, New York – As the race for President passes the Independence Day holiday and heads toward the dog days of summer, Sen. Barack Obama holds a 44% to 38% lead over Sen. John McCain in the horserace contest, but also leads by a substantial margin in a state-by-state Electoral College tally, a new Zogby Interactive poll shows.
The extensive national poll of of 46,274 likely voters also shows Libertarian candidate and former Congressman Bob Barr wins 6% support, eating into McCain’s needed conservative base of support.

More at... http://www.zogby.com/News/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1523

Here's another article with phone polls.

Barr

Aug. 1 2%
July 13 2%
June 18 3%
May 18 4%

Monolithic
08-15-2008, 02:20 AM
yeah i'm not too sure how accurate the online polling is

Peace&Freedom
08-15-2008, 04:20 AM
yeah i'm not too sure how accurate the online polling is

When I ran on the LP line in 2006 in my state, Zogby online had me at 2% just before the election. I ended up getting .4% of the vote. So by this measure, Barr may be at only 1.2%. The candidate should be sponsoring his own professional national phone suveys to know where he stands, as well as to ensure his name is mentioned at all in the polls (just as Paul should have done). Depending on the polling firm, they may cost about $5000 to $15000 per poll.

tonesforjonesbones
08-15-2008, 08:43 AM
I also think everyone is burned out from the Ron Paul campaign financially...plus, the economy stinks. Too many chip ins and money bombs for everything else. Too much of a good thing waters down the impact. People jumped on the bandwagon..now someone always has their hand out. I am still voting for Bob Barr and I hope things change. tones

Imperial
08-15-2008, 08:50 AM
While Barr/Baldwin would have been great, the more realistic alternative would have been Barr/Ruwart. That at least would have brought in more of a base in the LP, and could have let Barr claim a wide coalition and some feminist support, not to mention the radical libertarian blocks full support.

That is what I feel was the failure in this election.

Now we have to get over it, and figure out how to get our best alternative going. Us getting active in his support would be the best thing, but will it happen?

The_Orlonater
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
While Barr/Baldwin would have been great, the more realistic alternative would have been Barr/Ruwart. That at least would have brought in more of a base in the LP, and could have let Barr claim a wide coalition and some feminist support, not to mention the radical libertarian blocks full support.

That is what I feel was the failure in this election.

Now we have to get over it, and figure out how to get our best alternative going. Us getting active in his support would be the best thing, but will it happen?

+1

Barr&Ruwart would have been great.

NewFederalist
08-15-2008, 09:26 AM
I was under the impression that Mary Ruwart would not accept the #2 spot with Bob Barr.

Kludge
08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
I was under the impression that Mary Ruwart would not accept the #2 spot with Bob Barr.

That's correct, much to just about everyone's disappointment... She claimed she was too "pure" to get along with Barr.

Matt Collins
08-15-2008, 10:18 AM
dont know..but it sure would help to have these two guys working with each other instead of against each other for money, endorsement being possible from ron paul, etc

Yes it is really too bad the libertarians are grudge voting against Barr and the Ron Paul Revolution is split. Neither Barr or Baldwin will likely make any waves now.

Yes - I would prefer to see Baldwin as Barr's running mate (I don't know anything about Root). Unfortunately this is causing a split among RP supporters and libertarians many of whom would not vote for either Barr or Baldwin.

The truth is that none of these guys have a chance to win, however they will affect the outcome of the election if they are big enough. If they affect the outcome of the election then you will get a LOT MORE ATTENTION next time around from the GOP.

Matt Collins
08-15-2008, 10:18 AM
When I ran on the LP line in 2006 in my state, Zogby online had me at 2% just before the election. I ended up getting .4% of the vote. So by this measure, Barr may be at only 1.2%. The candidate should be sponsoring his own professional national phone suveys to know where he stands, as well as to ensure his name is mentioned at all in the polls (just as Paul should have done). Depending on the polling firm, they may cost about $5000 to $15000 per poll.Unfortunately past polling performance is not necessarily indicative of future polling performance.

itshappening
08-18-2008, 01:04 PM
he should be in the debates how can they not let him!!!

NewFederalist
08-18-2008, 02:10 PM

Because he is not on the ballot in all 50 states and DC. (Well, it's as good a reason as any!)

Kludge
08-18-2008, 02:20 PM

Having more then one candidate speaking would confuse voters and would detract from voters' time to listen to the two candidates who are the real choice. :rolleyes:

Nathan Hale
08-18-2008, 08:05 PM
While the CPD is notoriously restrictive in it's qualifications for access to the debates, there is the possibility of Barr meeting those qualifications IF there is a debate BEFORE the CPD debates, such as the Google/Youtube debate that I heard rumored a while back. Such exposure could catapult Barr, at least past the (I think) 15% bar for admission to their debates.

Nathan Hale
08-18-2008, 08:09 PM
That's correct, much to just about everyone's disappointment... She claimed she was too "pure" to get along with Barr.

My wish? Barr/Gravel. Not that I like Mike Gravel, but it seems that one of the media's big criticisms of Barr is that he's going to take votes from John McCain. Having Gravel, who swings to the left, balances the ticket and eliminates the Naderization of Barr. Of course, Gravel isn't a great candidate for the ticket either, but he's better than Root and he has some government experience (which, like it or not, the people expect - barring other comparable experience).