PDA

View Full Version : A first gun recommendation in CA?

H Roark
08-14-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm planning on purchasing my first handgun. I live in Los Angeles county, CA and I want to pick up a piece before things get ugly (like they aren't already...) or before gun laws become more restrictive (http://www.dailypaul.com/node/57793). What do you RPF members recommend for me?

My only requirements is that I don't want to get one that is too expensive and I don't want to get a shotgun, as I'd like to learn some technical ability. :cool: Thanks.

Anti Federalist
08-14-2008, 02:26 PM
EDIT: because I didn't read the OP's post closely

First handgun?

S and W model 586 .357 with 4 inch barrel.

H Roark
08-14-2008, 03:02 PM
I'd like to stay around $300-800 new

Uriel999
08-14-2008, 06:25 PM
http://www.ijag.us/weapons/weap_RPG7.jpg

How about one of these?

pacelli
08-14-2008, 06:36 PM
I'd like to stay around $300-800 new

That's a pretty good price range. I advise you to make sure you check out how much factory & non-factory magazines cost for whatever Model # you choose, because in such a scenario you'll want plenty of spares.

I personally like SigArms.

Pericles
08-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I like the M1911A1 - not a fancy enhanced doo dah, but the basic weapon designed by Browning.

2 reasons for that - stopping power and reliability. According to one of my friends based on his Vietnam experience, people hit with a .45 round "have a totally different scream." My unit once lost a .45 at Ft. Hood. It was found about a year later, cleaned and returned to service.

Whatever you decide to buy, try one first on a range, if you can. Some people (like myself) are good with a .45, but I have also seen many who are not.

Buy the type of weapon you can accurately fire.

Gideon
08-15-2008, 01:25 AM
I like the M1911A1 - not a fancy enhanced doo dah, but the basic weapon designed by Browning.

2 reasons for that - stopping power and reliability. According to one of my friends based on his Vietnam experience, people hit with a .45 round "have a totally different scream." My unit once lost a .45 at Ft. Hood. It was found about a year later, cleaned and returned to service.

Whatever you decide to buy, try one first on a range, if you can. Some people (like myself) are good with a .45, but I have also seen many who are not.

Buy the type of weapon you can accurately fire.

You can still obtain an M1A, or even a DSA FAL type rifle, in which case 10 rounds is sufficient, given proper technique. Of course .22 rifles are ubiquitous.

As for handguns, I agree that the 1911 platform is preferable, but not so much due to the incessant stream of argumentation regarding "stopping power," so much as the standardization of the ammo, as well as spare parts and mags.

I agree with the recommendation that you try before you buy, and therefore you should visit AWRM (http://www.awrm.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000206)in order to gather more information, as well as find someone who will be willing to meet you at the range for a day of training and orientation.

I am in the Bay Area, and I always need an excuse for a training day...

Kalifornia
08-15-2008, 01:38 AM
He asked about handguns.

Cali has a 10 round mag cap, so might as well go big. i opted for a .45acp Springfield XD service model. Im very happy.

Truth Warrior
08-15-2008, 01:39 AM
What do the Crips and Bloods choose? ;)

youngbuck
08-15-2008, 07:05 AM
For handgun, you can't go wrong with a Glock.

Don't forget to check gun auction websites, like gunbroker.com.

For rifle get a Saiga w/ 10rd magazine, .223/7.62x39/7.62 NATO...

http://classicarms.us/ is a decent source:

http://classicarms.us/images/p_saiga.gif

Anti Federalist
08-15-2008, 09:21 AM
He asked about handguns.

Cali has a 10 round mag cap, so might as well go big. i opted for a .45acp Springfield XD service model. Im very happy.

Oh, I'm a moron, you are quite right, he did ask about handguns.:(

H Roark
08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Oh, I'm a moron, you are quite right, he did ask about handguns.:(

No you're not, I edited the post. I didn't specify at first.

I did look into the Ruger 10/22 you recommended and it seems that they are a pretty good standard rifle that is fairly affordable and has a ton of aftermarket parts for it.

I was just thinking that a handgun would be more practical, but less fun haha. I'm not closed to getting a rifle though.

Anti Federalist
08-15-2008, 06:37 PM
No you're not, I edited the post. I didn't specify at first.

I did look into the Ruger 10/22 you recommended and it seems that they are a pretty good standard rifle that is fairly affordable and has a ton of aftermarket parts for it.

I was just thinking that a handgun would be more practical, but less fun haha. I'm not closed to getting a rifle though.

Oh, OK. Thought I was losing my mind there for a minute.

Narrow it down some: what purpose first?

Frankly, if you are just starting out, I would do whatever I could to get one of each, shotgun, rifle, handgun.

Ruger model 10/22 rifle.

S & W model 586 S&W .357.

Mossberg model 500 pump action 12 gauge shotgun, modified choke.

Both the Mossberg and the Ruger can be purchased for well under $200 if you shop them around some.

A used 586, in good shape, should run about $300, again if you shop it around.

Keep in mind S & W doesn't make the 586 anymore, if you want new, it will be in stainless as a model 686.

H Roark
08-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for your input Anti-Fed, I think I'm gonna go with the 10/22. What do you think of the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=udqDe_QfOF0 <--- btw this is badass

DAFTEK
08-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Springfield Armory XD45-5 Bitone with a TLR2 is my choice ;)

Anti Federalist
08-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for your input Anti-Fed, I think I'm gonna go with the 10/22. What do you think of the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=udqDe_QfOF0 <--- btw this is badass

Got one, love it, the modified Garand action is "bullet proof".

Loud as hell tho'.

Anti Federalist
08-16-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm planning on purchasing my first handgun. I live in Los Angeles county, CA and I want to pick up a piece before things get ugly (like they aren't already...) or before gun laws become more restrictive (http://www.dailypaul.com/node/57793). What do you RPF members recommend for me?

My only requirements is that I don't want to get one that is too expensive and I don't want to get a shotgun, as I'd like to learn some technical ability. :cool: Thanks.

Thursday, August 14, 2008
The Poor Man's Survival Arsenal

I know we all like our toys, no doubt about it. After all having the biggest most expensive firearm on the range can be sort of a status symbol . Leading to being looked up to by the other shooters, giving way to pride and boasting, and a feelings of self worth, or something like that. We want the best guns available but very few of us survivalist types have unlimited funds. Not everyone can afford to put down a large sum of cash for a survival arsenal. But being poor or cheap does not mean you must be held to a disadvantage.

Let's say I can tell you about a basic three gun battery that will have you equipped to handle most any survival situation. Most of what we buy are things we want, not need, once we separate the wants from the needs, wise and frugal choices can be made with regard to survival firearms. The three firearms I suggest are low cost, reliable weapons that will serve you well when tshtf. Meeting the needs of foraging and defense of self and property.

(1- Russian Mosin Naget 91 rifle) I don't plan to lay down a field of fire over areas to keep the other fellows head down. I know I can't carry or afford, enough ammo for that and I doubt there are many reading this that could. In WW II , the Garand battle pack carried by troops was only 160 rounds per soldier. They were taught to shoot and shoot accurately. In Viet Nam, with everyone mostly armed with full auto weapons it was estimated that it took 100,000 rounds of ammunition per enemy killed. Spray and pray will not work for the survivalist, every shot fired had better kill or at least wound your attacker, or you will soon be wilding a club.

The Russian Mosin Naget 91 rifle chambered 7.62X54R (R for Rimmed not R for Russian), at less then $100 bucks each are a steal. This old workhorse is accurate, rugged and will be taking down bad guys long after that black rifle has been reduced to taking up space in the junk bin. In my latest issue of the Cheaper Than Dirt catalog, 7.62X54R 147 grain FMJ ammunition in a sealed can (excellent for long term storage) was listed at $69.97 for 440 rounds. Sure it's corrosive and you will need to clean the rifle after use, but you should be doing that anyway.

(2 -Single Shot .12 gauge) A good used single shot can often be found for under $100 and anyone selling any type of ammunition will carry at least a few sizes and weights of shot shells. According to stories told by my grandfather who lived through the great depression (now 92 years old) they only had one firearm, a single shot 10-gauge shotgun. He said they used fine shot for small game and birds, heaver shot for varmints and medium sized game, and round lead slugs for large game, such as whitetail deer and black bears. He said that old 10-gauge was all they needed to keep meat on the table and pest from raiding the garden.

(3-Smith&Wesson model 10) The Smith & Wesson Model 10 Military & Police Revolver is the most successful handgun of all time. The revolver has been manufactured largely in its current form since 1902 and has been produced with many variations for both commercial and military use. Even after a full century of technological advancements the Model 10 is still hanging in there as a reliable weapon with respectable stopping power. As a survival handgun one could do much worse than having the model 10 strapped on your side. Used ones start at around $200.

So there you have a basic three gun survival arsenal for less then $350 bucks.

http://thesurvivalistblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/poor-man-survival-arsenal.html