PDA

View Full Version : A report from Gillette Stadium

Sematary
08-31-2007, 07:39 AM
A few people I know went to Gillette Stadium yesterday to distribute literature. It only ended up being a couple of people but if you consider that it's a "test run" to see how things went, etc... then it went ok. Here's the report from Bob D.

The day started out on a promising note when connecting with Markmo , at his house to pick up avery stickers with contact info to our new public access mail news@WeNeedRP.com , Mark decided to join me,. I was thrilled and we applied around 300 stickers in his kitchen and then off to Gillette.
Connecting with Joe & Stephanie from the Boston meetup, I guided them into the stadium parking lot. As they passed through the $40.00 per vehicle tollbooth, they exposed their plan to the collectors and told they required a permit to distribute political stuff, so they turned around and went home. I felt bad they had made the long trip in vain, but at least they saved 40 bucks.
We became a little discouraged but decided to push forward with the plan, then looking at the crowd of meat eating beer-drinking tail-gators we became even more discouraged, I thought, “WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING”, these people don’t want us bothering them with petty issues like the “future of America”, I actually told Mark that this would be a waste of time and we should leave and retrieve our money.
Of course by now we were trapped, as our exit was now a sea of BBQ grilles, coolers, tables and people, we weren’t going anywhere without pissing off over 50 people, we could have gotten killed for attempting such an escape. Just then a veteran selling tiny US flags on toothpicks asked if we would by one for a buck. Mark s passed, but I made the donation and got not one, but four flags, I offered him a Ron Paul slim Jim, he gladly accepted and was delighted to hear Ron’s stance on supporting veterans and ending the war. I convinced him (Tom) to take around 100 Jim’s and he was eager to pass them out. Wow, that was the spark that turned my head around.
Mark said let’s do it and off we went.
Overall most people were receptive; probably 80% we approached took slim Jims (500 or so), 30% engaged with us. We gave out 10-15 RP DVD’s & AFTF’s making sure not to be noticed by the roving cops on bicycles, motorcycles, golf carts & on foot. Not once did we have to engage with security there. At the Ozz Fest, security checked us out, looked at our slim Jims, making sure they wouldn’t end up on the ground. We assured them that we would only put them in hands not windshields and they left us alone.

Thanks to Markmo, Gillette was a very successful day.

So, one major lesson learned.
We need to get permits.
Second lesson:
Goddam sports franchises charge too much for parking so carpooling and splitting the cost is probably better

Keep these things in mind when planning your event.

Dlynne
08-31-2007, 07:43 AM
Good going, Sematary! :) I am happy someone is taking care of the Northeast.

Dlynne

Sematary
08-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Good going, Sematary! :) I am happy someone is taking care of the Northeast.

Dlynne

This will get us set up for a larger push in October at the same venue. :-)