PDA

View Full Version : If Ron Paul Won The General Election Would Anything Get Done?

tribute_13
08-12-2008, 10:54 PM
In the extremely unlikely scenario that Paul captures all the un-pledged delegates and brokers the convention and wins the General Election would he be able to change anything. Would Congress cooperate when he wants change something? He would have complete control on our military forces and would pull out of Iraq immediately as well as all over the world. But as far as pulling out of the UN, abolishing the Federal Reserve, fixing our currency, and getting rid of federal taxes, wouldn't he need Congress' approval for that? Would they be willing to cooperate? Or would a RP Presidency just open the door for more Libertarian minded Senators and Congressmen?

What do you envision a RP administration would look and what do you think they can accomplish in 4-8 years?

nate895
08-12-2008, 10:59 PM
After the 2010 Midterms, he can start to get some stuff done, and it would be wide open after 2014 if the public stays on board.

The Moog Magician
08-12-2008, 11:03 PM
The whole point of electing Ron Paul is to stop things from getting done. I assume there'd be a massive frickin' veto party, and a great deal of bills would never get the 2/3 of both houses needed for an overturn. Federal spending would theoretically drop like it's hot. Only after there's a complete change in the national ideology could we seriously talk about pulling out of the UN, axing the income tax, etc...

RSLudlum
08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
He might start by signing the last Executive Order to revoke all previous Executive Orders. ;)

dannno
08-12-2008, 11:10 PM
His most powerful tool would be the Presidential pardon. With that he could potentially end the income tax by promising to pardon anybody who is prosecuted for failure to pay the income tax. If there is no income tax, then there is nobody to pay the interest on our outstanding loans and to the Fed for lending the money. It would create a domino effect that could he could potentially use to reform these institutions and end entire bureaucracies that are not allowable by the constitution.

He could also end the war on drugs similarly.

votefreedomfirst
08-12-2008, 11:12 PM
The most immediate and drastic changes would be in foreign policy.

FindLiberty
08-13-2008, 01:59 AM
I like the last four posts... Yea baby! Get NOTHING "done" ASAP to save us from too much gubermint.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
08-13-2008, 03:53 AM
In the extremely unlikely scenario that Paul captures all the un-pledged delegates and brokers the convention and wins the General Election would he be able to change anything. Would Congress cooperate when he wants change something? He would have complete control on our military forces and would pull out of Iraq immediately as well as all over the world. But as far as pulling out of the UN, abolishing the Federal Reserve, fixing our currency, and getting rid of federal taxes, wouldn't he need Congress' approval for that? Would they be willing to cooperate? Or would a RP Presidency just open the door for more Libertarian minded Senators and Congressmen?

What do you envision a RP administration would look and what do you think they can accomplish in 4-8 years?

Rule #11. As legal lobbying on the Federal level benefits the rule of tyranny, the civil invention created on the local level benefits the rule of the people.

The Moog 2 posts down has it right. We need to stop electing people with the intention that they are going to go to Washington and do something. This is the equivalent of buying an empty Federal box of goods. Just where is this 10 to 12 trillion in debt? Where has it been squandered?

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
08-13-2008, 03:58 AM
The most immediate and drastic changes would be in foreign policy.

The first foreign policy should be to deny dual citizenships. We then need to give new Mexican flags to the illegal aliens captured on our border along with a buck to wave them as they are being shipped back to the tyranny which is Mexico. Adios omigos!

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
08-13-2008, 04:00 AM
His most powerful tool would be the Presidential pardon. With that he could potentially end the income tax by promising to pardon anybody who is prosecuted for failure to pay the income tax. If there is no income tax, then there is nobody to pay the interest on our outstanding loans and to the Fed for lending the money. It would create a domino effect that could he could potentially use to reform these institutions and end entire bureaucracies that are not allowable by the constitution.

He could also end the war on drugs similarly.

Rule #14. Taxes are created with the intentions of benefitting some while cheating others.
So, just do away with taxes altogether.

robert4rp08
08-13-2008, 06:00 AM
His veto pen would be mighty! It would be plated in gold, and it would have the capability of reciting the specific article of the Constitution that a bill violated while in use.

dirknb@hotmail.com
08-13-2008, 06:58 AM
He wouldn't be able to get much done without a sympathetic Congress other than vetoing a lot of crap, BUT he'd get the microphone at the national level and be able to wake up a whole lot of people to get him that sympathetic Congress.

Pepsi
08-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Congress whould probley Impech him becuse he whould veto to many bills.

Truth Warrior
08-13-2008, 07:15 AM
If Ron Paul Won The General Election Would Anything Get Done?

Doubtful.<IMHO>

But hey, gridlock works for me too. ;)

How much more "getting done", do we really need? :rolleyes:

Truth Warrior
08-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Congress whould probley Impech him becuse he whould veto to many bills. Not an impeachable offense. ;)

TastyWheat
08-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Worst case scenario: nothing gets done and we have to provide for ourselves and rely on the free market to serve us. Boo hoo.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
08-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Worst case scenario: nothing gets done and we have to provide for ourselves and rely on the free market to serve us. Boo hoo.

The old worthless dog theory of Texas politics:

When they knock on your door, you are dead. When they walk up your driveway, your dog is dead. So, take care of your dog, take care of your children.
How does one keep the foreign sons of bitches from walking up your driveway? You go forth to ask the foreign sons of bitches to leave the city. How does one keep the foreign sons of bitches out of your city? You go forth to ask the foriegn sons of biches to leave your state. How does one keep the foreign sons of bitches out of your state? You go forth to shoot the foreign sons of bitches in Washington DC.

The_Orlonater
08-13-2008, 11:01 AM
If Ron Paul did win, they I would uess that the Libertarian/Independant/Pro-liberty Republicans would be in the House.

I suspect a great deal of things could get done. Especially on foreing policy. Here's when the dems are in our way.

Anti Federalist
08-13-2008, 01:04 PM
He might start by signing the last Executive Order to revoke all previous Executive Orders. ;)

Bing freakin go.

Repeal of EOs, pardons, ending the wars and a veto pen with a gallon of ink.

All within the constitutional authority of the president.

Anti Federalist
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
The old worthless dog theory of Texas politics:

When they knock on your door, you are dead. When they walk up your driveway, your dog is dead. So, take care of your dog, take care of your children.
How does one keep the foreign sons of bitches from walking up your driveway? You go forth to ask the foreign sons of bitches to leave the city. How does one keep the foreign sons of bitches out of your city? You go forth to ask the foriegn sons of biches to leave your state. How does one keep the foreign sons of bitches out of your state? You go forth to shoot the foreign sons of bitches in Washington DC.

Whoa.

:confused:

acptulsa
08-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm more interested in how many things would be undone.

amy31416
08-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Whoa.

:confused:

You're European, you wouldn't understand.

Anti Federalist
08-13-2008, 01:23 PM
You're European, you wouldn't understand.

It does seem like I'm speaking another language with UEW doesn't it?

It must be me.:p

Truth Warrior
08-13-2008, 01:26 PM

FWIW! :rolleyes:

You're fine.<IMHO> ;)

:D

Mahkato
08-13-2008, 01:42 PM
The main thing is that it would be that it would be a bully pulpit from which to preach the good news of Constitutionally limited government.

SLSteven
08-13-2008, 01:49 PM
He could VETO something....something Bush doesn't seem to know how to do

amy31416
08-13-2008, 01:50 PM

I don't know, but I understand what you say. It must be my bourgeoisie European blood and my hatred of catfish.

I can't recall exactly who, it may have been TW, but he was making some sort of bizarre argument that he wasn't an American like himself, but was a European and wouldn't be able to understand what he was talking about.

It's pretty rare that I can make it through one of his posts, so all I have are snippets of an impression which bring to mind dinner tables, jews, catfish, peanut butter sandwiches, lists of rules and fishing.

Anti Federalist
08-13-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't know, but I understand what you say. It must be my bourgeoisie European blood and my hatred of catfish.

I can't recall exactly who, it may have been TW, but he was making some sort of bizarre argument that he wasn't an American like himself, but was a European and wouldn't be able to understand what he was talking about.

It's pretty rare that I can make it through one of his posts, so all I have are snippets of an impression which bring to mind dinner tables, jews, catfish, peanut butter sandwiches, lists of rules and fishing.

I was the lucky one.:eek:

dannno
08-13-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm more interested in how many things would be undone.

As I said before, taxes and the drug war could immediately be undone.

Undoing taxes would create a domino effect for quite a bit of change that we desire.