PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Tv Ad

skiingff
08-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Ok guys, as I promised. Note this is our first ever TV ad that could *actually* work for TV. Putting a TV ad together is NOT easy. Honest feedback and suggestions for improvements please.

View it here:

http://www.spotrunner.com/Ads/Host/Play.aspx?cde=A1PK

-

EvilEngineer
08-30-2007, 11:23 PM
My only critique is that the website address is "www.KeepOnFighting.com" in an ad that saying he is against the war. It's just a little... odd on that point. And that the website doesn't go anywhere.

skiingff
08-30-2007, 11:25 PM
My only critique is that the website address is "www.KeepOnFighting.com" in an ad that saying he is against the war. It's just a little... odd on that point.

They screwed up the website, it was s'posed to be KeepRonFighting.com. This is theme-related for the 2nd ad in the works.

I want us to build an informational website aimed at persuading voters to choose Ron Paul.

- B

skiingff
08-30-2007, 11:31 PM
While there was no direct link to view the ad and I had to send people the username/password in PM, I received the following feedback.

camnc79 from Bedford, NH PMed me this about the ad:

Short, sweet, and to the point. I like it a lot. I'm all about keeping on point and message. This ad does just that - anti war, conservative on spending. I'll be donating in a few.

Green Mountain Boy PMed me this:

Thanks, It looks and sounds great!

I'm working on capturing it, but I'm having trouble with the audio right now

Chibioz PMed me this:

i liked your tv ad! i thought it was the most professional one i've seen.

jonahtrainer PMed me:

Wow, that was a really good ad.

Would be nice if the Constitution could get in there somehow.

HappyPhilter PMed me:

wow better then I expected! Very good, it targets the general population and looks great. The only complaint I can give is that its too short, but thats not your fault. Ron Paul has much more to say then can be fitted into a 30 second commercial.

Any honest feedback is appreciated... please post it in this thread.

LibertyEagle
08-30-2007, 11:42 PM
They screwed up the website, it was s'posed to be KeepRonFighting.com. This is theme-related for the 2nd ad in the works.

I want us to build an informational website aimed at persuading voters to choose Ron Paul.

- B

Does that mean it will be changed to say KeepRONFighting.com? :confused: The other makes no sense at all.

skiingff
08-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Does that mean it will be changed to say KeepRONFighting.com? :confused: The other makes no sense at all.

Yes. Or we could change it to make it something else appropriate.

The goal is to set up a website that persuades the general public RP is the best candidate and why. We can't legally use RP's campaign website, we'll need to create our own. KeepRonFighting.com was chosen because of the Reagan quote, "We need to keep him fighting for our country!" which will be used in the next ad. That how it's theme-related.

jonahtrainer
08-30-2007, 11:53 PM

- B

Having 'Fighting' in the URL may be .... difficult. I think the Ad is great though.

Having the Constitution would be nice; maybe just the We The People part of it in the background of the white when its his name near the start and end?

It hits the Democrats right off, goes Anti-War and then tells them he is Republican. They will probably all go WTF? Who knows what the Republicans will think as they have almost all ran away from the party.

That is where we want them because then they will research him. The more The People research the more they Ron Paul.

skiingff
08-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Ok we'll change the website, it's not a big deal. We have until September 10 to do so. In the meanwhile we need to have someone build a nice, PROFESSIONAL and universally appealing site about Ron Paul. Meaning, NO crap about what people may consider "extreme." That is not our goal to hi-lite issues that may turn people off. We will focus on the issues that the vast majority find agreeable (that is, if we want votes).

On the website we can list the common facts about Ron Paul (has never voted to raise taxes, voted against Iraq war and patriot act, doesn't participate in congressional pension, etc). We can also list his biography, pictures of him in Uniform and of him and Reagan together, famous quotes about him (eg the Reagan quote), etc etc. It will be great. We want something where people can really do some good research on him, and find that research appealing.

Green Mountain Boy
08-31-2007, 12:04 AM
I was able to capture the ad. Do you still want me to YouTube it now that you have a link?

skiingff
08-31-2007, 12:09 AM
I was able to capture the ad. Do you still want me to YouTube it now that you have a link?

Please. That way I can put it on the operationnh.com website so people can see what they'll be donating to, and it will be easy for people to view it, rate it, favorite it, and comment on it through text comments / video responses.

Also we can get more people to view it that way.

Green Mountain Boy
08-31-2007, 12:15 AM
Please. That way I can put it on the operationnh.com website so people can see what they'll be donating to, and it will be easy for people to view it, rate it, favorite it, and comment on it through text comments / video responses.

Also we can get more people to view it that way.

Here it is:

If you want me to change the title or anything, let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg_DZJ6d-oA

J4ck
08-31-2007, 12:29 AM
you have to change that 'keep on fighting'.
ty

+good one

American
08-31-2007, 12:36 AM
Whatever you change it to make sure you can get the domain name first.

keeponfighting.com = fighting for freedom, fighting for the constitution, fighting for individual liberty, etc....

fighting for strippers..:)

katao
08-31-2007, 02:31 AM
First I want to thank you guys for all you're doing.

My concern with the ad is the Kennedy "Ask not what your country" quote which is nearly the exact opposite of Ron's message.

Declaration of Independence:

"... That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government".

In other words, governments are there to serve the people (by protecting their rights) , not people serving the government!

LibertyEagle
08-31-2007, 02:38 AM

My concern with the ad is the "Ask not" quote which is nearly the exact opposite of Ron's message. Ron's message is the same as that in the Declaration of Independence:

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed".

In other words, governments are there to serve the people, not people serving the government!

This is a good point. The what "you can do for your government" BS, is not exactly what liberty is all about. I strongly suggest we change this quote to something else. The Kennedy quote sends the wrong message entirely.

Akus
08-31-2007, 02:41 AM

- B
so it will be edited, correct?

Slugg
08-31-2007, 03:04 AM
Wow, keepronfighting is great! I don't know why people would want to change it. And the "Kennedy" quote is perfect as well. Perhaps in some of the stickier situations one could make an argument that these two things are misleading. But, I say for a 30 second spot they are right on the money. Keep Ron Fighting for America. It's perfect. It helps remove the 'pacifist' stigma. Keep him fighting, cause he's not a wussy! And we all wish people would go and inform themselves as a way to do something for their country. I thought those were perfect and I'm not sure a strong enough argument can be made that they are misleading or contrary to what Ron Paul supports.

The Kennedy quote does not send the wrong message at all. It sends the right message. We want people to inform themselves, we want people to be active in politics, and we want people to support Ron Paul. These are all things we want people to do for their country.

Slugg
08-31-2007, 03:07 AM

My concern with the ad is the Kennedy "Ask not what your country" quote which is nearly the exact opposite of Ron's message.

"... That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government".

In other words, governments are there to serve the people (by protecting their rights) , not people serving the government!

Yup, but we are supposed to be a country of PEOPLE! And do what you can to secure that country. We want people to work together, that's what grassroots does. And, while Kennedy may have been trying to imply big government in his quote, we can very much use it to imply big grassroots!

No, Kennedy's quote is exactly Ron's Message. That if you leave people alone they will do the things our country requires. Like donate to the poor, offer low prices, and create great inventions. No, Kennedy's quote is perfect.

katao
08-31-2007, 03:24 AM
Slugg, I see your point, I really do. But with such a vast number of wonderful quotes, why not choose one of them and remove the ambiguity.

Rather than quoting Kennedy, let's get at the very core of Ron's message which is to restore true Constitutional government. A quote from Washington, or Jefferson, or any of the other Founders seems far more appropriate and inspirational.

theseus51
08-31-2007, 03:31 AM
Yeah, I think it's a good quality ad. But I can't shake the idea of Kennedy's "ask what you can do for your country", in the sense of grassroots supporting Ron Paul is a weird message. It kinda reminds me of Romney's answer that his kids are serving their country, not by being in the military, but by working on his campaign.

I guess to the average person, it sounds like Ron Paul is pushing for us to support our government, or help the government, when he is actually of the philosophy that we should be distrustful of government, limit the powers of government, and work to reduce government. I know the quote uses "country" not "government", but it's a weird leap to say support your country by being against its government.

deedles
08-31-2007, 06:19 AM
I think the line in question, 'do for your country'... is a potential turn off for folks that are thinking 'we're already doing WAY too much for our country. Taxes, war, illegal immigrants etc ...

We here get it... our country and government are two very separate entities but most people do not.

Wish that could be taken out or replaced with something else..

ronpaulyourmom
08-31-2007, 06:34 AM
For those of you nitpicking on the kennedy quote, I think you've falsely equated country with government.

The quote says "Ask what you can do for your country", meaning the people of the land. It really isn't in reference to bigger government. If the quote represents anything it would be the spirit of independence and propagating the fruits of your labor. I think the quote is fine.

MsDoodahs
08-31-2007, 06:37 AM
The Kennedy quote can cut either way IMO. I don't think it's bad but if we can come up with something better, then go for it.

Has someone started a brainstorming thread to come up with a replacement?

Of course make sure they get the website right, lol.

Skiing, THANK YOU!!!

wgadget
08-31-2007, 06:38 AM
You're right, mom, but that's what everyone else will do, too...

Clarity is a necessity, especially when there are only 30 stinking SECONDS.

Why not just use the Declaration of INDEPENDENCE quotations that someone brought up earlier?

I also STRONGLY believe that our commercials should state FIRST OFF that they're paid for by VOLUNTEERS. So many people just zone out when they see a political commercial.

LibertyEagle
08-31-2007, 06:39 AM
No, I'm not nitpicking. Back when Kennedy made that quote, there was a lot of BS going around about serving your government like in the Peace Corps and other stuff like that. You know, a watered down version of what they're pitching NOW about wanting it to be mandatory for every person to have served the government for a couple of years.

He WAS equating country to government!

Sorry Skiing. Other than this and the website, the ad looks very nice.

LibertyEagle
08-31-2007, 06:40 AM
Slugg, I see your point, I really do. But with such a vast number of wonderful quotes, why not choose one of them and remove the ambiguity.

Rather than quoting Kennedy, let's get at the very core of Ron's message which is to restore true Constitutional government. A quote from Washington, or Jefferson, or any of the other Founders seems far more appropriate and inspirational.

YES.

Note: In addition to what I pointed out in my previous post, Republicans don't exactly like Kennedy. So referring to him here is not exactly a winner when it comes to winning the Republican nomination. All I can tell you guys who don't think this is a big deal is that I was a kid when JFK said this and I REMEMBER how upset my parents were about it. The way they interpreted it is exactly what I said in my previous post. Government servitude. This is the complete opposite of Dr. Paul's message and that of our Founders.

mrchubbs
08-31-2007, 06:43 AM
I think the quote is fine as well and I don't think there is any other well known quote that equals the desired effect. In a way it paints RP as somewhat of a mainstream candidate without jumping up and down saying "look at me, I'm important too."

That being said, I've always been partial to the following Thomas Jefferson quotes:

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."

and

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."

So I like the ad. I think it is simple, professional, and will get noticed. My pledge has been donated.

Enjoy.

wgadget
08-31-2007, 06:46 AM
Well, the ad is ultimately referring to the war and military service to the country, so a quotation in this vein would probably be most appropriate.

Which also makes my poor old brain equate the Kennedy quotation with military service. I think people have had enough of that...I guess the Kennedy just confuses the brain wires a little bit, but I'm 47.

mtmedlin
08-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Personally, i think using a JFK reference in a New England state (NH) cant hurt.

LibertyEagle
08-31-2007, 07:10 AM
1. Founding father quote.
2. Quote from Reagan's "the speech" that was written for Barry Goldwater.

MsDoodahs
08-31-2007, 08:01 AM
The generation of voters that we're after with this ad are older, correct? (I'm 47 and Kennedy was killed when I was about 3).

Less likely to use internet, correct? (My cousins are all older than me by 6 - 15 years, none of them use the net hardly at all.)

This ad is to be used in the NE, correct? (Is Kennedy still popular in the NE?)

All that said, I will say that I personally love this quote:

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."

Maybe open the ad with "We, the people and supporters of Ron Paul for president..."

Running with that...off the top of the head...so forgive me if this totally sucks, lol..

"...believe Thomas Jefferson was right: "gov't big enough...liberty decreases."

In this election, Ron Paul is the defender of the Constitution.

If you feel as we feel, that the nation left us by our Founders is slipping away, we urge you to research the record of Dr. Ron Paul for yourself.

Join us. Together we can change the course of our country.

Support Ron Paul for President....

Green Mountain Boy
08-31-2007, 08:04 AM
I also STRONGLY believe that our commercials should state FIRST OFF that they're paid for by VOLUNTEERS. So many people just zone out when they see a political commercial.

Ditto. If there is room to add this in to the voiceover I would definitely do it.

LibertyEagle
08-31-2007, 08:11 AM
The generation of voters that we're after with this ad are older, correct? (I'm 47 and Kennedy was killed when I was about 3).

JFK
January 20, 1961 – November 22, 1963

That would make me newly 7 years old at the time. I remember it very well. Mostly, because of everything being preempted on TV for so long. I remember the LIFE magazine devoted to the assassination, the weird picture of Oswald holding the gun, with what looked like his head pasted on someone else's body, people mysteriously dying right and left, the whole 9 yards.

Kennedy was NOT loved by conservatives. Back then, conservatives were of the Goldwater type.

BillyDkid
08-31-2007, 08:56 AM
This is a nice ad, but I am a little confused. Is this unrelated to the ads we voted on? I don't remember this ad description.

MsDoodahs
08-31-2007, 08:59 AM
This is an ad to be used in the interim until the one voted on is done and ready to roll, I think.

fj45lvr
08-31-2007, 09:16 AM
when are these ads going to be available for local meetups to use on cable TV???

where will you be able to download them from???

thanks

fj45lvr
08-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Will there be an ad that actually appeals to Republican Base centered around Paul being most conservative Congressmen???

This ad leaves the wrong impression IMHO because it has no time to explain WHY....the Republican base has been "programmed" to believe that "ANTI" is a democratic value.....under this understanding we will achieve MUCH MUCH more getting back to the BASICS found in the FOUNDING FATHERS FLYER IMHO.

Another thing in considering partisans is that Kennedy (even if a right of moderate in todays terms) was a DEMOCRAT....with a sleaze of a relative in Congress!!

Maybe quote the GAO head about the urgency to DO SOMETHING to save the republic

fj45lvr
08-31-2007, 09:48 AM
Make an ad around this idea posted by someone else here:

Start at a gravestone and follow this "theme" (which can be altered to show how far away we are from common sense...killing the poor bastard)

mention all kinds of Gov. BS: $10,000 toilet seats, borrowing money from China for war, adding an income tax to consume half our earnings!! laws to protect our border without any enforcement and REWARDING them being broken with AMNESTY....giving illegals and "refugees" food, housing, medical care (more so than our own citizens which leads to why are we rewarding our own able-bodied citizens??? (republicans are sick of "welfare statism") There are millions of things killing common sense in our federal gov.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who

has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was,
since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He
will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
Knowing when to come in out of the rain; Why the early bird gets the
worm; Life isn't always fair; and Maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more
than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in
charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but
overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6 -year- old boy
charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended
from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for
reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the
job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly
children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental
consent to administer Tylenol, sun lotion or a band-aid to a student;
but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted
to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became
contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better
treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a
burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to
realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in
her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his
wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 3 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is
To Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone

Ozwest
08-31-2007, 09:58 AM
fj45lvr, This a different project. One for the short term. Their just figuring the wordage on this one. Cheers.

skiingff
08-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Ok, I just woke up because I feel like crap (all 4 of my wisdom teeth were pulled Wednesday and for some reason they still hurt). I have read all your suggestions for improvement, and appreciate the fact that besides the Kennedy quote, the majority of people seem to be in a consensus that the ad itself is pretty good. I'm glad we're all basically in agreement on this. I was really worried that in the worst-case scenario, this would be one of those internal arguments and we would end up catfighting rather than focusing on honest suggestions for improvement and getting Ron Paul's message out there. Fortunately, my worst-case scenario turned out to be the exact opposite -- there is nothing but constructive input on this thread.

The first comments were regarding the website. Obviously listing KeepOnFighting.com in an ad that's anti-war doesn't make sense. This was an error on the ad agency's side, and I will get it fixed. Are we all OK with KeepRonFighting.com? That's what it was s'posed to be but they screwed it up.

As to the Kennedy quote in the beginning of the ad, I think some of you are overcomplicating the matter -- maybe looking too deep into it. The quote states "Nearly 50 years ago, our President urged us, ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country." The quote is followed up by "Ron Paul has been standing up for America's youth for those 50 years." Basically what it's trying to convey is that Ron Paul is a man of public service. (Note the next line is "As a military veteran..." which further proves that point). The quote wasn't intended to have any political meaning at all -- Just because it was said by a Democrat. It is supposed to be a feel good type quote of encouragement that's saying, "Ron Paul did all this for his country... why don't you vote for him so he can continue to serve us?" That's the subtle message that most people will buy into.

Remember who we're dealing with here -- half of America doesn't even know who made that quote, and the other 25% might be able to point out it was Kennedy but I guarantee couldn't tell you who Kennedy was (besides a President and he was assassinated) or what he really stood for. Then the remaining 25% probably just don't care and aren't really thinking that deep because it makes them feel good inside to hear the quote. Please take into account most of us here are political junkies -- and any political junkie will already know it's an ad targeted for the general public and has nothing to do with Kennedy's policies. We are different than everyone else. I'm not belittling ANYONE, I'm just saying that emotion works better than reason -- and in this ad, we're combining the two which is even better. Us, being political junkies, are in a separate class. Political junkies will already know about Ron Paul. That's the problem. The 90% of America who DOESN'T know about him are NOT political junkies, they are just your average American. That's who we need to target if we want the name recognition and more than 3% of the votes.

What we really need to do is go over some statistics about the target audience in New Hampshire. 44% of the registered voters in New Hampshire are independents. This means they can vote in either primary. What this ad is mainly doing is trying to reach out to those independent voters. An overwhelming majority, 70%, of New Hampshire's independents are AGAINST the War in Iraq. This means that *any* NH independent voter who is center, leans to the right of center, or has slight liberal views, or libertarian views, will have only one legitimate choice if they are anti-war: Ron Paul. Obama stated he wants to bomb Pakistan, and Hillary has said nothing about immediately ending the Iraq war like Ron Paul has. And of course, all the Republicans except Paul are pro-war. In any case, it really makes these independents re-evaluate their decisions or helps them to MAKE an informed decision when they are presented with an alternative (Ron Paul). I have no doubt that since independents are the heart of NH politics, we need to target them moreso than the Republican base. The Republican base has been against Ron Paul from day 1. The RNC continuously ran someone against RP in the Texas congressional primaries. I'm not saying Republicans don't like Ron Paul, but the loyal party-goers mostly don't. And they vote according to how they're "supposed to" vote. They are persuaded by the corporate media. So for all those who may accept libertarian/Republican principles, however don't see any viable options at this time (because of Iraq war stances), we need to introduce RP's message to them.

Now, the NEXT ad in the works would be more targeted towards Republicans than this one. But it would still target independent voters as well. It would show the photos of Ronald Reagan with Ron Paul, and utilize Reagan's famous quote about Paul:
"As a former Air Force officer, he knows well the needs of our armed forces, and he always puts them first. We need to keep him fighting for our country!"
That's where KeepRonFighting.com derives from. I'm facing some legality issues on this ad, but we'll get it worked out sooner or later. It will be great.

Lastly, some of you pointed out we should say "Paid for by the grassroots" or something like that in the voiceover. That's an excellent idea. Or what we could do for now, is explain that on the website listed in the ad. We want to create a website where interested people will go and learn about Ron Paul -- his life story, his politics, and how they can help (eg, get their asses off the couch and vote in the primary). If anyone would like to design this site, we can work on getting a domain name for it and would have until Sept. 17 to complete it. Basically, since we can't legally use RP's campaign website, an informational, persuasive site about why people should vote for Ron Paul would be great to direct people to.

Again, thanks for all your generous support and input. Honestly, it was not easy putting this ad together and I'm glad it turned out the way it did. The main thing we all need to focus on, is this is an accomplishment no one else can claim. No other grassroots group can say they did this for their candidate. And for it to have turned out fairly good, makes that accomplishment even better. Yes, there is always room for improvement, but when you look at what this little grassroots group did for Ron Paul, it's an amazing story. Hell, they could make a documentary out of it when Ron Paul gets elected President.

-B

MsDoodahs
08-31-2007, 11:43 AM
"Are we all OK with KeepRonFighting.com?"

I don't like use of the word "fighting" because it may confuse those who don't quite understand his antiwar noninterventionist stance. That's just my take, doesn't mean I'm right, lol.

The ad says "Ron Paul has been standing up for America's youth for those 50 years."

It should say ... standing up FOR AMERICANS for those 50 years.

Youth isn't your target audience, is it? It's the older people - and they might be turned off by hearing that Ron is only fighting for the younger people.

Again just my take, doesn't mean I'm right

Ozwest
08-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Makes sense to me. Wouldn't suit Conservative states but is target specific for the demographics of New Hampshire.

katao
08-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Absolutely, skiingff. Amazing accomplishment indeed. My primary concern was that we communicate what you said, "We are different". I just can't get out of my head that the Kennedy quote is something Mitt or other mainstream candidate would use. In any case, I will fully support whatever you decide.

Craig_R
08-31-2007, 11:52 AM

Country does not mean goverNMEnt, do you agree that voting for RP would be a good thing to do for the country? if so then the quote is perfect.

nayjevin
08-31-2007, 11:55 AM
In the meanwhile we need to have someone build a nice, PROFESSIONAL and universally appealing site about Ron Paul.

uh, why not www.ronpaul2008.com?

it's silly to reinvent the wheel with ANOTHER website.

also include 1-800-Ron-Paul

Good ad -- I am impressed. Changing the Kennedy quote to something less ambiguous is a no-brainer to me.

"We need a strong president -- someone strong enough to resist the temptation to take power a president oughtn't have." -- Ron Paul paraphrase

LibertyEagle
08-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Craig,

It depends upon the audience we are trying to hit. People my age and older remember what JFK was talking about when he said that and he WAS equating country to government.

born2drv
08-31-2007, 11:57 AM

I agree, let's not quote kennedy... or ronald reagan or try to paint RP as anyone else..... let's just go straight into what sets him apart from all other republicans and why people should vote for him.

Talk about bringing the troops home, building a strong DEFENSE to keep us safe here (I think this is very important for republicans to hear), but that we should not intervene in foreign countries.

Talk about eliminating the income tax, replacing it with NOTHING and reducing the size of the federal governement.

And returning back to a very strict interpretation of the constitution and giving freedom and liberty back to the people.

LibertyEagle
08-31-2007, 11:57 AM

I think the idea is to have other links on there, such as www.ronpaullibrary.org

I've asked Justine to please add this link to the campaign website, but for some reason, they aren't doing it. Maybe some kind of campaign rule because they are speeches from his Congressional office. Don't know.

born2drv
08-31-2007, 11:59 AM

Good ad -- I am impressed. Changing the Kennedy quote to something less ambiguous is a no-brainer to me.

"We need a strong president -- someone strong enough to resist the temptation to take power a president oughtn't have." -- Ron Paul paraphrase

I think he wants to be able to track the effectiveness of the ad by setting up another website.

If this is really the case, we can setup another website and just redirect to ronpaul2008.com

like WeSupportRon.com or something, that way if we run any radio or TV ad we can mention that one instead and just forward to the main ronpaul2008.com website and see how well the ad performs.

skiingff
08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
I think he wants to be able to track the effectiveness of the ad by setting up another website.

If this is really the case, we can setup another website and just redirect to ronpaul2008.com

like WeSupportRon.com or something, that way if we run any radio or TV ad we can mention that one instead and just forward to the main ronpaul2008.com website and see how well the ad performs.

No, it has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the ad. It's a legality issue. If it were up to me, of course I would use Ron Paul's campaign website. However, the Federal Elections Commission states that as a Political Action Committee, we cannot connect ourselves to the campaign in any way (directly, such as linking to the campaign website, or indirectly). Basically we are like the "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" or whatever they are called, a 527 group that launched the anti-Kerry ads. Meaning, we can say anything we want, except Ron Paul approved the message or linking to the Ron paul PEC.

Edit: I will look into the legality of linking to RonPaul2008.com from our "PAC" website. I don't think that should be a problem. It's a good suggestion. However, listing RonPaul2008.com in the actual ad is a no-go.

nayjevin
08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
I think the idea is to have other links on there, such as www.ronpaullibrary.org

this ad may turn out to be the most viewed commercial coming from the RP campaign. for all we know, HQ will NEVER run a decent TV ad. i think we can only operate on this assumption, and therefore should tailor the ad to bring viewers into the campaign in the most direct route possible.

honestly, I don't want potential new supporters having a great number of click options when they first come in -- so much of what they need to know is on ronpaul2008.com.

i think the majority of those who come through the campaign site will get there eventually, anyway. ronpaul2008.com has videos AND issue stances, to appeal to the broadest range of visitors -- i think it's already the perfect 'entry point' for Ron Paul on the web.

adding another layer of traffic to another 3rd party site is not a good idea, IMO, even if executed to near perfection.

Craig_R
08-31-2007, 12:07 PM

the "official" site cannot be used because this is not an "official" ad

campaign laws and all

LibertyEagle
08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Craig,

Are you sure about that? If so, please direct me to the specific reg that says that.

nayjevin
08-31-2007, 12:09 PM
No, it has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the ad. It's a legality issue. If it were up to me, of course I would use Ron Paul's campaign website. However, the Federal Elections Commission states that as a Political Action Committee, we cannot connect ourselves to the campaign in any way (directly, such as linking to the campaign website, or indirectly). Basically we are like the "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" or whatever they are called, a 527 group that launched the anti-Kerry ads. Meaning, we can say anything we want, except Ron Paul approved the message or linking to the Ron paul PEC.

the rules for contributing as an individual would allow direct link to the campaign site, but an individual could only spend $1000 without reporting, and here we are fundraising for the ads through a PAC. The rules of a PAC say you can't link directly to the campaign site.

correct?

Ron Paul Fan
08-31-2007, 12:10 PM
The ad looks very good and those who have put it together deserve many thanks and applause. I agree with others that the Kennedy quote is decent, but I think we can do better. Some of the other suggestions in the thread are good like replacing it with a Ron Paul quote instead. The quotes about not taking power that a President shouldn't have, We can acheive much more in peace..., or another quote about limiting the scope of Government in one of the debates thus far would be a great alternative. But ultimately it is your decision and if you like it the way it is, then stick with it. I think it's very good if you choose to put it on the air.

Craig_R
08-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Craig,

Are you sure about that? We used it all over the place in the ads we ran in Iowa.

Thats what skiingff has said in this thread multiple times now, I wouldnt know because I have not researched it. I trust that skiingff has.

Ozwest
08-31-2007, 12:12 PM
It's only a 30 second add. Your average punter isn't going to intellectualise it. Your probably aware David letterman plays that quote almost nightly as an intro to Great moments in Presidential speeches., a spoof on G.W's speech boners. That alone gives it extra recognition, for what its worth

nayjevin
08-31-2007, 12:12 PM
If you must use a 3rd party website, I recommend keep it as SIMPLE as possible, with as FEW CLICKING OPTIONS AS POSSIBLE. We do not want to fragment the traffic. Here's my suggestion of the content of the site:

Big Picture of Ron

Find out why Ron Paul...
Has the most friends of any candidate on MySpace
has the most channel subscribers of any candidate at YouTube
Has won 5 of 17 straw polls, and has taken 3rd place or better in 15 of 17 so far
Has been called the 'Champion of the Constitution' by his peers
Is known as 'Dr. No' for is unwavering voting record that is ALWAYS in line with Constitutional principles, and NEVER motivated by lobbyists or political interests

OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN SITE (link with hope for america image)
www.ronpaul2008.com
READ AND LEARN - RON'S SPEECHES, ARTICLES, AND BOOKS (link with ron paul library logo)
www.ronpaullibrary.com
WATCH AND LEARN - RON'S YOUTUBE CHANNEL (link with youtube logo)
www.youtube.com/ronpaul2008dotcom

IT'S TIME FOR AN HONEST MAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE

Lord Xar
08-31-2007, 12:21 PM
the "official" site cannot be used because this is not an "official" ad

campaign laws and all

Ok... I am not very sure about this. If this is the case, then how can you mention his name? What is the difference between mentioning his name and giving out a web address.

I think if the disclaimer exists, then the assumption of connection is gone - else why have the disclaimer in the first place?

I am not entirely sure you can't use Ron Paul's webaddress. I mean, he uses Ron Paul's logo right in the beginning AND Ron Paul's picture...

I would not use your "own" web address UNLESS it is very professionally done.. skiing - check to see if you can use Ron pauls web address....

BUT EVEN IF you can't use Ron Paul's web address specifically, just have a redicrect on your page that takes someone to ron pauls web site...

I am pretty sure you can...

skiingff
08-31-2007, 12:22 PM
the rules for contributing as an individual would allow direct link to the campaign site, but an individual could only spend $1000 without reporting, and here we are fundraising for the ads through a PAC. The rules of a PAC say you can't link directly to the campaign site.

correct?

Well, if more than what one could legally donate to the campaign ($2300) is spent on these ads, you have to form a PAC to air them. And of course all Television airtime is going to cost more than $2300. So if I was going to do this as an individual and spend my own $2300 (which I couldn't anyway, I've already almost exceeded that in donations to the RP campaign), then that would be fine.

However since Op NH is collecting DONATIONS, a PAC will be formed to keep this legal. But be aware that the maximum one can contribute to a PAC is $5,000 per election cycle as opposed to the $2300 max limit to the campaign. Therefore, when I made my pledge saying I will donate 5k myself, that's the maximum amount I can legally donate -- and I will still have to report my own donations to the FEC (any donations greater than $200 must be reported -- name, address and occupation of the individual).

Just as if one were to donate to the campaign over $200, their name will technically be public record and listed on the OpenSecrets.org website. Likewise, if any of you donate over $200 in an election cycle to air these TV ads, I will have to report the donation to the FEC.

Lord Xar will most likely advise me that I cannot use his PAC for this purpose due to the legalities and he doesn't want to be held responsible for this as he has his own stuff he's doing (starting with the Ames, IA mosaic ad and now the radio ad). He said it would most likely be too much for himself to handle, and he is looking into it, but Op NH will most likely have to form a different PAC (not a big deal). No one really cares about PACs, they are just a way to legally do stuff without being an official campaign representative.

So we can put anything on the ads we want. Anything. Except it was approved by the Ron Paul PEC or directing people to his campaign website.

Edit: I will call the FEC now and see what their input on the website link is.

nayjevin
08-31-2007, 12:25 PM
thanks for the explain skiingff.

then on to my suggestions for content of the 3rd party site, unless you decide that it IS ok to redirect -- that would be the best option.

skiingff
08-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Ok, I called up the FEC and they stated their advisory opinion to me:

As long as we aren't coordinating with the Ron Paul campaign, and as long as we aren't soliciting funds for the Ron Paul campaign, linking to his site should be OK.

The keyword is *should*. When I asked for this in writing, the guy offered to lead me in the direction of where it's listed in policy, but stated he cannot offer written or legal opinions, that this was just his off-the-record interpretation.

Being that he works for the FEC, he probably knows what he's talking about, so I went ahead and submitted that change to the TV commercial. The new URL will be www.RonPaul2008.com.

Thanks guys

BlCkDeAtH
08-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Ok, I called up the FEC and they stated their advisory opinion to me:

As long as we aren't coordinating with the Ron Paul campaign, and as long as we aren't soliciting funds for the Ron Paul campaign, linking to his site should be OK.

The keyword is *should*. When I asked for this in writing, the guy offered to lead me in the direction of where it's listed in policy, but stated he cannot offer written or legal opinions, that this was just his off-the-record interpretation.

Being that he works for the FEC, he probably knows what he's talking about, so I went ahead and submitted that change to the TV commercial. The new URL will be www.RonPaul2008.com.

Thanks guys

Skiingff, I think the best solution about the Kennedy quote is to replace it with a quote for Ron Paul.
We all agree that the man has some great quotes. Since this is a anti-war commercial, a quote like "Just come home" or something would fit in great. I think that even though its much easier to defend the quote than get it fixed, the fact that it is an issue in this forum should be discouraging.

LibertyEagle
08-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Skiing,

These are just thoughts off the top of my head, so take them with a grain of salt. If this is our one ad on foreign policy/Iraq, it would seem to me that we need to drive home exactly how Dr. Paul's stance would keep us safe AND free. This is something that he hasn't done a good job of driving home, so people see him as being weak on defense. The other comment I hear often, is that he believes just pulling out and coming home is how you fight terrorism. Rather, pulling out will stop inciting them and then we need to go get those who attacked us. They are in Pakistan; NOT Iraq.

Maybe this is an ad better left to the campaign. Don't know. But, it certainly is a weak spot.

fj45lvr
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Skiing,

These are just thoughts off the top of my head, so take them with a grain of salt. If this is our one ad on foreign policy/Iraq, it would seem to me that we need to drive home exactly how Dr. Paul's stance would keep us safe AND free. This is something that he hasn't done a good job of driving home, so people see him as being weak on defense. The other comment I hear often, is that he believes just pulling out and coming home is how you fight terrorism. Rather, pulling out will stop inciting them and then we need to go over those who attacked us. They are in Pakistan; NOT Iraq.

Maybe this is an ad better left to the campaign. Don't know. But, it certainly is a weak spot.

As this is a Republican primary (with a minority of states allowing open voting) you need to send a message to the republican voters.....

to explain the details of WHY (ideas) which is necessary to make a case a 30 second spot just can't do it.... The "war" as the focal point has to be the worst possible choice to be able to quickly make a case for Republicans to vote for PAUL IMHO....

less gov.
fiscal policy
immigration
constitution

these are homerun less divisive issues to win republican primaries (and issues Paul wins over the vast majority of the competition)

krott5333
08-31-2007, 01:57 PM
how about RonPaulforPresident2008.com

Thom1776
08-31-2007, 01:57 PM
You should cycle through three, maybe four different pix of RP during the ad, especially when it says he is a veteran, you should fade to his b&w military pic. It should end with the most recent portrait of him with his gray hair, gray suit and nice tan.

FluffyUnbound
08-31-2007, 02:03 PM
Maybe you could offset the Kennedy quote with a text-only quote near the end:

In your heart, you know he's right.

That's not under copyright since 1964 or anything, is it?

Shellshock1918
08-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Thats a sweet ass add.

slantedview
08-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Is there any reason you're wanting to change out the first line of the ad? Is it a legality thing?

The only other thing I'd take issue with in the ad is the word "youth" in the second line. Why youth? Why not all Americans?

danda
08-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Most people don't have any idea who Ron Paul is, and this could be their first exposure to him.

So I think that the first mention of his name should say "Congressman Ron Paul" instead of just "Ron Paul". Otherwise, he sounds like any Joe on the street.

gornandez@yahoo.com
09-29-2007, 08:22 AM
hey , sorry if this is already brought up but i dont have time to scan all these posts.
I think you better get that little "War is Peace, Ignorance is Strength" subliminal message out of the middle of that ad. i mean are people gonna think those are his talking points or something? they might not get that its ironic or whatever you were trying to be.
it doesnt seem relevant and will most likely confuse the hell out of most people.
its totally out of context. seriously

speciallyblend
09-29-2007, 09:10 AM
good ad ,is there away to remove the word republican? sarcasm but true.

Good Ad

Pete
09-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Very nice ad!

For the opening shot, how about a picture of the First Constitutional Convention? To me, that would display the difference between our founding principles and today's hucksterism.

I had the same thought as the preceding poster about knocking out the word "Republican".

Misesian
09-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Ok guys, as I promised. Note this is our first ever TV ad that could *actually* work for TV. Putting a TV ad together is NOT easy. Honest feedback and suggestions for improvements please.

View it here:

-

This is a great ad. Did you make this all yourself and narrate it too?

I'm also a little bit confused on where the direction of this thread went to? I thought you just wanted feedback on the ad itself but than I see pages of discussion about a URL and some Kennedy quote that I have no clue where that's coming from as I don't see that in the ad.

The ad is great, perfect music and theme, and I'm glad you mentioned he voted to go after Bin Laden as well. It would have been nice to somehow mention that he doesn't support ANY welfare rather than just focus on the corporate welfare. Perhaps something about our borders as well?

Great ad though.

itsnobody
09-29-2007, 11:27 AM
I liked your ad but I think you should have touched on more points, like lower taxes, smaller government, etc...traditional conservativism

JosephTheLibertarian
09-29-2007, 11:37 AM

View it here:

-

very good :)

when is it going live? and where?

sorianofan
09-29-2007, 11:48 AM
I second the above.