PDA

View Full Version : Is God punishing us all because of Christian fundies lust for elective violence?

Liberty Star
08-11-2008, 08:17 PM
There have been record number of crises facing America in recent years from hurricanes to tonadoes to economic depression. Is God trying to communicate to us and expressing His displeasure with Christian fundies support for elective bloodshed in Iraq based on false claims?

Or acts of God no longer have a subliminal message of collective punishment like the Biblical times?

EDIT: OP title may not have been sufficiently nuanced. To avoid broad generalization, "Christian fundies" above should be read as "war monger radical fringe of Christian fundies".

ItsTime
08-11-2008, 08:21 PM
The only difference between now and biblical times is that you have a tv and see events you would never know about otherwise. My town has had nothing bad happen to it, so god must love us? Weather happens. Economic depression happens. That is life, not god.

Liberty Star
08-11-2008, 08:22 PM
What is the price of gas in your town?

The One
08-11-2008, 08:29 PM
This thread topic is not unlike your lower intestine.....stinky and loaded with danger.

Liberty Star
08-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Sort of like what that bloated Pastor Hagee said about God sending Katrina to punish poor New Orleans folks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNi7tPanUA

Zippyjuan
08-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Crises and bad times have been with us as long as history records. Things are not really different today. Pat Robertson might agree with you that some were punishment by God but almost everybody else will not.

yongrel
08-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I really hate these "Is God punishing us for _____?" threads.

acptulsa
08-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I personally believe that I cannot speak for God. If that changes, I'll let you know.

I do believe that of the people who speak for, or claim or have claimed to speak for God, more are liars than prophets.

TER
08-12-2008, 11:29 AM
We are bringing this evil upon ourselves.

pacelli
08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
You can only give somebody the finger for so long before they take action. Break a law, go to court, and flip off the judge, you think that won't have consequences? As far as the economy, we decided to use unjust weights and measures/balances which violates the big man's economic statutes.

Liberty Star
09-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I really hate these "Is God punishing us for _____?" threads.

Such threads would usually would be a discssion about some radical politicion or God's agent making such claims. What's wrong with examination of their false dogmas? LOL

In other current news:

Nation

Why Disasters Are Getting Worse

Wednesday, Sep. 03, 2008 By AMANDA RIPLEY

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1838400,00.html?imw=Y

Truth Warrior
09-06-2008, 05:46 AM
NO, we do a good enough job of punishing ourselves.<IMHO> :(

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
09-06-2008, 06:18 AM
Such threads would usually would be a discssion about some radical politicion or God's agent making such claims. What's wrong with examination of their false dogmas? LOL

In other current news:

Nation

Why Disasters Are Getting Worse

Wednesday, Sep. 03, 2008 By AMANDA RIPLEY

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1838400,00.html?imw=Y

False dogmas?

Do you know the difference between those Christians who worship God's Word out of the Holy Bible and those Christians who worship the legal precedent rituals created by the Pope and the Vatican as God's authority?

It should be no surprise that the legal precedent rituals created by the Pope and the Vatican had a tremendous influence on science. The Catholic Church gave birth to science after all because it adopted Aristotle's works as God's natural laws, holding him in asteem just short of Christ Himself, while it became a prerequisite requirement that all natural philosophers, this is what the scientists of that day were called, belong to the clergy.

To wean itself from religion, science began weeding out dogmas from itself not in the name of religious dogma but in the name of metaphysics. A person would have been crazy to be an athiest and placed in an asylum. This gave a bad name to metaphysical science while many philosophers of science today think science is headed from theoretical science back to the metaphysical.

Liberty Star
09-06-2008, 11:33 AM
False dogmas?

Do you know the difference between those Christians who worship God's Word out of the Holy Bible and those Christians who worship the legal precedent rituals created by the Pope and the Vatican as God's authority?

It should be no surprise that the legal precedent rituals created by the Pope and the Vatican had a tremendous influence on science. The Catholic Church gave birth to science after all because it adopted Aristotle's works as God's natural laws, holding him in asteem just short of Christ Himself, while it became a prerequisite requirement that all natural philosophers, this is what the scientists of that day were called, belong to the clergy.

To wean itself from religion, science began weeding out dogmas from itself not in the name of religious dogma but in the name of metaphysics. A person would have been crazy to be an athiest and placed in an asylum. This gave a bad name to metaphysical science while many philosophers of science today think science is headed from theoretical science back to the metaphysical.

I think you may have misunderstood point I was trying to make. It was not and is not my intent to evaluate belief system of any religion or sect, that's an impossible task using rational mind. I said "false dogmas" to refer to some self-declared agents of God on earth using God's name to justify their human base instincts to pursue money or oil or elective violence or other worldly ambitions.

These may be couple of examples:

Palin: Iraq war 'a task that is from God'

By GENE JOHNSON – 5 hours ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jNulPSqaP1eyysv8ENJWhk0ZSrPgD92VJ0D00

Wash. Rampage Suspect in Court: 'I Kill for God'

Wash. rampage suspect says 'I kill for God' in court where 6 murder counts filed against him

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. September 6, 2008 (AP) The Associated Press

"I kill for God. I listen to God," a man accused of a northwest Washington shooting rampage said Friday at a hearing where six charges of first-degree murder and four of first-degree assault were filed against him.

Isaac Zamora made the chilling comment twice at the brief hearing in Skagit County District Court while investigators wrapped up their work at eight crime scenes. The 28-year-old is being held on $5 million bail in the wake of Tuesday's rampage, which left six people dead and four injured.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=5740207

Sometimes it maybe just a cover for mental illness or defficiency or dependence when a subject invokes God to justify seemingly immoral violent acts.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
09-06-2008, 12:12 PM
God need only stand back with his arms folded and watch as his chosen people tear everything to pieces. It must be nicely entertaining.

tmosley
09-06-2008, 12:37 PM
No, Zeus is punishing us all for not worshipping him.

Or is it Odin?

Or Vishnu?

Or is it the FSM?

Or Xenu?

Or Ahura-Mazda?

Or Gawt (the progenitor god of the Goths, and the etymological source of the English word "god")?

Or Ba'al?

Or Quetzalquotal?

Hell, let's blame White Jesus and his archangel, Ronald Reagan, for punishing New Orleans for being majority black.

Honestly, don't blame God for natural disasters, unless you have some evidence of which imaginary being is really in charge. No-one is sending you a message. Shit happens, get over it, and yourself, already. If there was an all-powerful God out there that was punishing us for whatever reason, one would think that he would use a method that delivered a clearer message, like a pillar of fire in the sky that spoke in an unknown language, but which everyone in the world could understand.

Or hell, if he's willing to lob hurricanes at us and kill a bunch of innocents along with his intended targets, why doesn't he just strike down those he hates with simultaneous heart attacks?

The fact is that God either doesn't exist, or he doesn't interfere in Earthly matters. I like to think it is the latter.