PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Having Trouble Finding Silver To Buy?

SevenEyedJeff
08-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I just went to my local coin shop over the weekend, and I was able to get what I wanted, but they were down to just 90% dimes, and nearly out when I left. It would be interesting if the price kept going down when you couldn't even find any to buy. Perhaps this would mean that the silver ETFs and other paper silver "instruments" are forcing the price down, and that the physical metal just doesn't much influence the price anymore. Perhaps this is because the paper silver has increased silver's supply artificially.

On the other hand, industry still needs to buy physical silver. Even if there is a shortage or delays in getting the silver, is it not possible to keep dropping the price because of this e-silver? Any thoughts?

SevenEyedJeff
08-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Ted Anderson is a metals dealer that appears on the Alex Jones show from time to time, and on Friday he said he was out of a lot of his silver as well, which he sold a lot of after the IndyMac bank failure. The only thing silver he had to sell were mercury dimes which were going for almost 17 times face value. (Which would be close to $23 per ounce, which might take into account mercury dimes having a little bit of rare coin value, but I'm not sure.)

RockEnds
08-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Yes. My local coin shop is out as well.

pacelli
08-11-2008, 12:43 PM
It's a shame, because silver is so low. Then again, if I were running a coin shop, I'd be 'out' of silver if I bought it all at $17 / ounce since spot right now is around $14.65.

The problem with the online dealers is that with their mark up, and shipping & handling you still end up paying around $20 / ounce.

RockEnds
08-11-2008, 12:44 PM
I've stopped in three times in the last two weeks, and they've been out every time. The guy says it goes out as fast as it comes in.

He does have junk silver, just not the 99.9%.