PDA

View Full Version : An action plan to defeat REAL ID

Sematary
08-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Last year, I had the good fortune to be able to land an internship in our state legislature where I was able to observe the process. Fortunately for me, my legislator didn't really have a need very often for me to be around so I spent a good deal of my time going to public hearings, doing research on how bills were created and passed, etc....

This experience is invaluable to me as our legislature goes into session in January and I intend on being prepared to get legislation introduced to ban REAL ID in Ct.
I have an action plan and I'm hoping some of you with experience from other states who've already passed legislation can add to that plan so I am best prepared.

1. I am going to get the statutes from each of the states that have passed legislation so that OUR legislators not only have something to base their language on but also so that they can see how many states have already stepped up to the plate on this issue.

2. I am going to research the actual cost to the state so that they have that information at their disposal.

3. I am going to write up something to present at an eventual public hearing expressing the valid constitutional reasons why REAL ID must be rejected.

4. I will be encouraging (cajoling if necessary) as many patriots in Ct. as possible to also speak at public hearings en masse, so that our legislators can see the support for such a measure.

Since I have some personal contacts in the statehouse, including my own state rep whom I respect immensely as someone who tends to vote towards smaller government, I will be asking him to introduce the legislation in the house and I will ask the gentleman I worked for last year to introduce it in the Senate.

Any other ideas/advice?

Kade
08-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Last year, I had the good fortune to be able to land an internship in our state legislature where I was able to observe the process. Fortunately for me, my legislator didn't really have a need very often for me to be around so I spent a good deal of my time going to public hearings, doing research on how bills were created and passed, etc....

This experience is invaluable to me as our legislature goes into session in January and I intend on being prepared to get legislation introduced to ban REAL ID in Ct.
I have an action plan and I'm hoping some of you with experience from other states who've already passed legislation can add to that plan so I am best prepared.

1. I am going to get the statutes from each of the states that have passed legislation so that OUR legislators not only have something to base their language on but also so that they can see how many states have already stepped up to the plate on this issue.

2. I am going to research the actual cost to the state so that they have that information at their disposal.

3. I am going to write up something to present at an eventual public hearing expressing the valid constitutional reasons why REAL ID must be rejected.

4. I will be encouraging (cajoling if necessary) as many patriots in Ct. as possible to also speak at public hearings en masse, so that our legislators can see the support for such a measure.

Since I have some personal contacts in the statehouse, including my own state rep whom I respect immensely as someone who tends to vote towards smaller government, I will be asking him to introduce the legislation in the house and I will ask the gentleman I worked for last year to introduce it in the Senate.

Any other ideas/advice?

edit: never mind...

CT is right next to me... RI is working on some interesting legislation as well.. I'll let you know what goes on here.

Sarge
08-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Here is a starting point. Good Luck in CT.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/48leg/2r/bills/hb2677h.htm

Done deal in AZ, at least for now.

MRoCkEd
08-11-2008, 08:28 AM
What State...?
CT=Connecticut

Sematary
08-11-2008, 08:28 AM
What State...?

This experience is invaluable to me as our legislature goes into session in January and I intend on being prepared to get legislation introduced to ban REAL ID in Ct. :D

Sematary
08-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Here is a starting point. Good Luck in CT.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/48leg/2r/bills/hb2677h.htm

Done deal in AZ, at least for now.

Very nice. Simple. To the point. Don't like this tho:

This section does not prohibit this state from establishing a state secure identification system using appropriate technology and state databases.

votefreedomfirst
08-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Good luck. I'm in CT as well but I no longer have any hope for this state when it comes to REAL ID or any pretense of limited-government. That's why I'm planning a move to NH next spring. I realize that's not an option for everyone but I’m looking forward to continuing the fight on much friendlier ground.

Sematary
08-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Good luck. I'm in CT as well but I no longer have any hope for this state when it comes to REAL ID or any pretense of limited-government. That's why I'm planning a move to NH next spring. I realize that's not an option for everyone but Iím looking forward to continuing the fight on much friendlier ground.

We CAN win the REAL ID fight here and I think we can do it by presenting the enormous cost associated with it to the legislature. I wish you luck in your move but until you do, I could really use your help here.

votefreedomfirst
08-11-2008, 09:02 AM
We CAN win the REAL ID fight here and I think we can do it by presenting the enormous cost associated with it to the legislature. I wish you luck in your move but until you do, I could really use your help here.

I didn't notice that it is an unfunded mandate. That's surprising because one would think the Feds could always just "print" more money to cover the associated costs. Regardless, you're correct that could be the saving grace especially in these tough economic times.

At the very least I'll be sure to write my state rep and a letter to the editor when this issue comes up in January.

New York For Paul
08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Some helpful advice.

Start to keep an issues file on each legislator.

Then organize some grassroots activists first in the legislative districts where you have a good chance to persuade the legislators to change their vote in your favor.

Make sure to get names on some petitions. If you can get currently elected officials you can put on the list, the more the better, no matter what office they hold, they will be noticed by the legislator.

Prioritize and make a list of legislators to call and have your volunteers stay in contact with the legislator.

There is a lot to study in the lobbying arena. It can get really sophisticated. But if you do the basics, that will attract their attention.

Sematary
08-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Some helpful advice.

Start to keep an issues file on each legislator.

Then organize some grassroots activists first in the legislative districts where you have a good chance to persuade the legislators to change their vote in your favor.

Make sure to get names on some petitions. If you can get currently elected officials you can put on the list, the more the better, no matter what office they hold, they will be noticed by the legislator.

Prioritize and make a list of legislators to call and have your volunteers stay in contact with the legislator.

There is a lot to study in the lobbying arena. It can get really sophisticated. But if you do the basics, that will attract their attention.

Excellent advice. Thankyou

Anti Federalist
08-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Make sure you watch closely as it proceeds through each house.

NH could have been the first in the nation to reject the REAL ID, had the original house bill not been gutted by neocons in the state senate in 2006.

We had to start all over again in 2007 to finally get it passed.

Kenney, one the state senators, who is now running for governor, says on his webpage that he opposes REAL ID, yet was one of the senators to gut the original bill.

I'm intending on pressing the question to him at the first public meeting he holds near my home.