PDA

View Full Version : Dem. candidate Conley appears at GOP EXCOM meeting!!!

RSLudlum
08-10-2008, 10:52 PM
and a distraught chairman gets agitated declaring that if any party officers show preference for Conley, they risk getting "the boot"!!! ;)

The party's status-quo hacks just can't comprehend what's going on. :D

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080807/NEWS03/808060370/1004/NEWS01

Democrat's visit roils GOP meeting

Emotions flared Monday night when Democratic U.S. Senate nominee Bob Conley made an unprecedented -- and uninvited -- appearance at the Greenville County GOP's executive committee meeting at Greenville Technical College.

Later, a tug of war over printed material critical of Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham ensued between Doug Wavle, Greenville's member of the state executive committee, and Brian Frank, a Cherokee County Republican supporter of Conley who had twice been ruled out of order at the meeting.

The incident, posted on YouTube, underscored a split in conservative Republican ranks, pitting party regulars against some hard-right conservatives, many of whom supported U.S. Rep. Ron Paul's failed 2008 presidential run and have long questioned Graham's conservative credentials.

It brought an open warning that party officers who publicly support Conley face being forced from their posts.

Conley, a politically unknown North Myrtle Beach engineer and recent transplant from Indiana, where he was a Republican activist, voted for Paul in the state's Jan. 19 GOP presidential primary, then filed for the Senate as a Democrat, narrowly won
his primary, and began calling himself a "Ron Paul Democrat."

His plan to show up at the meeting had been the subject of e-mail by Paul and Fair Tax supporters and talk radio speculation throughout Monday. Conley had previously asked for, and been denied, time to address the meeting, said Samuel Harms, Greenville Republican chairman.

"Showing up with 'Ron Paul Democrats' is a lot like going to a Clemson football rally decked out in Gamecock colors and saying, 'but we're both from South Carolina,'" said Dave Woodard a Clemson University professor and GOP pollster. "It's antagonistic, red flags to a Spanish bull."

Conley could not be reached for comment.

Conley's appearance forced the executive committee to publicly defend Graham, whom it censured in 2007 over his support for controversial immigration legislation. Also, Greenville was the only county he lost in his successful primary defense of his nomination against a far right conservative who contended Graham is a liberal masquerading as a conservative.

Wavle said the issue now "is that the party has voted in a primary and chosen our candidate, whether everybody is 100 percent satisfied or not."

Some Democrats who have been lukewarm at best to Conley over suspicions about his politics were caught off guard.

"That has got to be a first, the Democratic nominee for the U.S. Senate meeting with the Greenville Republican Party before he meets the Greenville Democratic Party,"
said Kevin Mertens, the Greenville County Democratic Party chairman.

Mertens said he's never met Conley and has had only one phone conversation with him.

Speculation that Conley might show up and concern that some party officials might be supporting him triggered a discussion of a requirement that the executive committee strip them of the offices if found to be "publicly" supporting an opposition candidate.

The tugging match over anti-Graham articles was caught on videotape.

The one minute, 11-second video, taped by Frank, begins with Wavle standing with several people listen ing and speaking to Conley in the auditorium's lobby and continues with Wavle approaching Frank's table as Frank says, "This is a public place."

Wavle says, "You want to get a close picture. Go ahead and get a close picture," as his blue shirt and dark blue and red tie fill the screen. "Cherokee County," Wavle adds, citing Frank's home.

As Wavle moves to his right and steps up to the table, the camera wavers wildly, side to side, up and down, as Frank can be heard saying, "Hey! Hey! Dude! Dude! That's my stuff. Don't."

Just what is taking place isn't clear.

Wavle responds, "Then take it off the table and leave."

"I don't need to," Frank says. "This is a public place."

Wavle then walks away and heads outdoors, a sheaf of papers in his left hand.

RSLudlum
08-10-2008, 11:08 PM
here's a video of the short incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUlv8FLGmJ0

PerfesserCoffee
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
>>

Johnnybags
08-11-2008, 12:42 PM
in the Republican party. Outta make for some interesting fireworks in Minneapolis, especially if McCain picks Joe "bombs away" Lieberman before hand.

RP4EVER
08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
1912 HERE WE COME......

anyone that doesnt get the reference should read Four Hats in the Ring by Lewis L Gould

freelance
08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Gee, they are all hugs and kisses with Leiberman!

Kade
08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Conley is the only Ron Paul candidate with a chance to win a major seat...

I wish you folks would look past his party affiliation.

familydog
08-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Bob Conley should be supported by all of us.

Kade
08-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Bob Conley should be supported by all of us.

He's not. I've given his campaign money, because I really do believe he is the only chance to get a RP Candidate in office this year.

Jeremy
08-11-2008, 02:57 PM

The only reason you said that is probably because you're a democrat yourself. Everyone in this thread has said we should support Conley... so what are you talking about? And no he's not the only one with a chance. BJ Lawson has a campaign hundred times bigger than Conley and he's running for house.

Kade
08-11-2008, 03:00 PM
The only reason you said that is probably because you're a democrat yourself. Everyone in this thread has said we should support Conley... so what are you talking about? And no he's not the only one with a chance. BJ Lawson has a campaign hundred times bigger than Conley and he's running for house.

Ironically,

I'm not a Democrat... and I can't remember the last time I actually voted for one...

MRoCkEd
08-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Any recent polling numbers?
(for Conley or Lawson)

votefreedomfirst
08-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Are there any polling numbers out yet for this race? I'll donate if he has a fighting chance but I don't want to flush money down the toilet.

Kade
08-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Any recent polling numbers?
(for Conley or Lawson)

Conley is down by about 10% in the polls.

Lawson is non-existent.

Jeremy
08-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Ironically,

I'm not a Democrat... and I can't remember the last time I actually voted for one...

Fine :mad:

=)

Jeremy
08-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Conley is down by about 10% in the polls.

Lawson is non-existent.

Stop bending the truth. There are no polls for Lawson yet and there are already Democrat groups in support of him.

knarfxii
08-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Check it out for yourself, http://www.FlatTopBob.com
He could use your help and support, maybe we should
schedule a money bomb for him!

Brian Frank

acroso
08-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Can we see the poll that he is -10

knarfxii
08-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Here's the Update!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoK1PIIUkGE

Kade
08-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Can we see the poll that he is -10

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_SC_715.pdf

brandon
08-12-2008, 08:02 AM
I'll be sending him money in September

Cowlesy
09-13-2008, 06:02 PM

Dear Kade,

Done.

Signed,
Cowlesy

constituent
09-13-2008, 06:04 PM
rock on bob conley!

Cowlesy
09-13-2008, 06:08 PM
rock on bob conley!

You're a Conley fan?

Nice!

Shotdown1027
09-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Bob Conley and BJ Lawson are our only hope for major victories in November.