PDA

View Full Version : So let me get this straight on the betrayal here (strangebedfellows)

Jeremy
08-09-2008, 09:40 PM
So is this what happened?....

Strangebedfellows was led by Dems the whole time. Lyman and friends thought they would promote pro-freedom candidates. But wow! Apparently the leaders of this thing have another agenda of their own! They've already been in bed... their in bed with party politics!

And now they're giving this money (raised by the Ron Paul supporters) to their rich Democratic friends who already have millions of dollars while our Ron Paul Republicans get ZERO?!?!

Their candidates are rolling in cash already... David Price, the incumbent in BJ Lawson's district voted for FISA, voted for war spending, etc! BJ LAWSON GETS NO HELP from this "non-partisan project." BTMers, our fellow RP Republicans (which is why we should care even if we didn't support it ourselves) were taken advantage of. Am I correct in saying that the leader of the strangebedfellows organization implied he is supporting Obama and that his agenda was to have the Democrats take over the executive and legislative branch? Their goal is to advance the Democratic Party! This is unbelievable! I'm furious!

(And doesn't it make you feel better to be a Republican?)

Hamer
08-09-2008, 09:42 PM
That seems to be the case.

How much money did BTM make out of this deal?

Anti Federalist
08-09-2008, 09:44 PM
So is this what happened?....

Strangebedfellows was led by Dems the whole time. Lyman and friends thought they would promote pro-freedom candidates. But wow! Apparently the leaders of this thing have another agenda of their own! They've already been in bed... their in bed with party politics!

And now they're giving this money (raised by the Ron Paul supporters) to their rich Democratic friends who already have millions of dollars while our Ron Paul Republicans get ZERO?!?!

Their candidates are rolling in cash already... David Price, the incumbent in BJ Lawson's district voted for FISA, voted for war spending, etc! BJ LAWSON GETS NO HELP from this "non-partisan project." BTMers, our fellow RP Republicans (which is why we should care even if we didn't support it ourselves) were taken advantage of. Am I correct in saying that the leader of the organization implied he is supporting Obama and that his agenda was to have the Democrats take over the executive and legislative branch? Their goal is to advance the Democratic Party! This is unbelievable! I'm furious!

(And doesn't it make you feel better to be a Republican?)

Old story, new players.

I donate only directly to a candidate, or directly to a function I find worthwhile.

brandon
08-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Wait, are they giving part of the money to David Price???

yongrel
08-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Old story, new players.

I donate only directly to a candidate, or directly to a function I find worthwhile.

Same. I just can't bring myself to trust someone else to spend my money in a way I would.

Jeremy
08-09-2008, 09:47 PM
That seems to be the case.

How much money did BTM make out of this deal?

I'm personally under the impressions that it was BTM that was taken advantage of.

Wait, are they giving part of the money to David Price???

No, I was just using it as an example. The Dems think their party is so great, yet they constantly vote down freedom... and here we have a Republican with a large campaign that's ready to take one of their places... nothing though. Their goal is to only replace Republicans with Democrats.

Jeremy
08-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Same. I just can't bring myself to trust someone else to spend my money in a way I would.

Especially, Lyman and gang, right?

How many things can Lyman have on his record? What's next?!?!

muzzled dogg
08-09-2008, 09:56 PM
lol yall got played

Jeremy
08-09-2008, 09:57 PM
lol yall got played

Not really, I don't know anyone at RPF that supported this.

Anyone though?

Sally08
08-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Not really, I don't know anyone at RPF that supported this.

Anyone though?

Wasn't there a banner ad on the home page of RPFs for Strange Bedfellows (http://www.accountabilitynowpac.com/ )?

Grimnir Wotansvolk
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I know I've always complained about the need to forge right-left friendships, but that's over with now.

Knightskye
08-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Sponors:

Rick Williams and Trevor Lyman BreakTheMatrix.com
Glenn Greenwald Salon.com
Jane Hamsher firedoglake.com
Matt Stoller Open Left
John Amato Crooks and Liars

They're right at the top of the list.

Sally08
08-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Sponors:

Matt Stoller Open Left

They're right at the top of the list.

It would appear that BTM was *hired* vs. being a "sponsor":

http://www.accountabilitynowpac.com/

Strangebedfellows has retained BreakTheMatrix to serve as our moneybomb organizer and service provider for a massive donations collection effort on behalf of AccountabilityNowPAC.

RonPaulFanInGA
08-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Sponors:

Matt Stoller Open Left

I thought this was some weird right-left coalition thing. Salon, firedoglake.com, Open Left and Crooks and Liars are ALL left-wing. And BTM, who the hell knows?

Glad I didn't donate to this. I kind of trusted BTM (though never the StrangeBedFellows BS), but no more.

amy31416
08-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Old story, new players.

Right on board with both of ya. The only exception is that I do donate to a couple of the grassroots projects that crop up here. I'm not entirely finished trusting people yet.

NH4RonPaul
08-10-2008, 05:45 AM
I've always said ---- Lyman is not to be trusted. He's never even voted before this. RP is the only Republican he's ever supported. Why do people act like he's some sort of political genius? He knows very little about it..

People should not align themselves with this person.

NH4RonPaul
08-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Their goal is to only replace Republicans with Democrats.

This is true. Once you have a candidate like Ron Paul, you have to stick to the party he's in. You cannot go co-mingling your money with Democrats! I could not express this enough to some of the people who had no clue about campaigning and that they had to campaign within the party if they wanted to win. This was one of the biggest mistakes they made.

Now I have to convince people running for local office to STOP ASSOCIATING WITH TL and Democrats because it's not Democrats that are going to put you in office.

ingrid
08-10-2008, 07:01 AM
The August 8 Money Bomb is intended to be used to fuel a long-term campaign and an enduring organization devoted to changing the behavior of the political class with regard to these issues. We intend to begin now actively recruiting and promoting credible primary challengers against the likes of Steny Hoyer and other key culprits; to target for defeat those members of Congress who continue to support policies of this sort, Democrat or Republican; and to find ways to affect the public discourse on these issues, which are jointly distorted and ignored by both the so-called "liberal" Beltway establishment" and the crux of the Republican Party.
http://www.breakthematrix.com/Civil-Liberties/Accountability-Now-Strange-Bedfellows-The-strategy-and-rationale

primary challengers = fellow liberals, at least in Steny Hoyer's case

Steny Hoyer already has a challenger, Collins Bailey, (who was endorsed by Ron Paul) running against him. If they are against Steny, why not use that money for Collins?
see thread for more info: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=149695

ingrid
08-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Although the Strangebedfellows cast themselves as a left-right coalition — the Libertarian candidate Bob Barr endorsed the effort, Mr. Greenwald and Jane Hamsher of FireDogLake (among the blogs most instrumental in Ned Lamont’s victory over Senator Joseph I. Lieberman in Connecticut’s Democratic primary in 2006) call the shots.

Mr. Lyman’s firm, Basic Media, Inc., will receive compensation for helping with the fund-raiser.

Furthermore, Mr. Lyman said, right-leaning supporters who gave generously to Mr. Paul are “experiencing some serious donor fatigue.” A recent money bomb for 25 down-ballot candidates allied with Mr. Paul yielded disappointing figures.

“The anger on the left is much more fresh,” said Rick Williams, co-founder of Basic Media, adding that the Libertarian right feels it has been “sold out by the Republican establishment for years,” while liberals are only more recently frustrated by the new majority.
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/07/stung-by-fisa-group-to-drop-money-bomb/

ItsTime
08-10-2008, 07:32 AM
To those who think BTM got "tricked" THEY STILL HAVE THE LINKS UP TO DONATE TODAY! At least they are holding up the banner trade deal. I think there was a trade between BTM and RPF.

Those who donated go played hard. But whats new. So much for the self proclaimed "money bomb expert" Im having a hard time not laughing at this.

BeFranklin
08-10-2008, 07:48 AM
The only reason they want to forge an alliance is so they can split the Republican party; which may be in our interest as well. But if they don't give us any money, we can't do it, so the exercise was pointless.

rancher89
08-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Right on board with both of ya. The only exception is that I do donate to a couple of the grassroots projects that crop up here. I'm not entirely finished trusting people yet.

qft

slacker921
08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Does the Campaign for Liberty plan on donating to campaigns for Libertarian and other third party candidates, or is it strictly for Republicans? I ask because I've feared the same sort of thing out of them.. i.e. my fear is they'll work to build up the Republican party even if it means supporting a Republican who is not as good a candidate as a Libertarian who is running against him/her.

I'm probably wrong, and if so then this mess with strangebedfellows might be a good time to point out where CFL is planning on supporting some third party candidates so that people like me (who haven't spent much time digging into how they'll spend money) will feel better about the CFL. Please do it in another topic or on the CFL blog or something.. so this thread doesn't get hijacked.. ;)

pacelli
08-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I never noticed the name of a political party on a dollar bill. This has nothing to do with politics at all.