PDA

View Full Version : Lieberman on McCain's short list

The One
08-09-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm speechless......I am without speech.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4af34942-65a1-11dd-a352-0000779fd18c,dwp_uuid=729ab242-9cb1-11db-8ec6-0000779e2340.html

Lieberman ‘on McCain short-list’
By Stephanie Kirchgaessner in Washington

Published: August 9 2008 00:35 | Last updated: August 9 2008 00:35

Joe Lieberman, the former Democratic vice-presidential nominee who has endorsed John McCain, is being vetted as a potential running mate for the Republican presidential hopeful, according to an adviser to Mr McCain’s *campaign.

Mr Lieberman, who has campaigned for the Arizona senator, has long been *considered an unconventional but plausible choice for Mr McCain.

Although Democrats have rejected Mr McCain’s image as a maverick politician, Mr Lieberman’s support for the presumptive Republican nominee has, much to the chagrin of his former *colleagues, helped to boost Mr McCain’s reputation as a bi-partisan legislator with friends on both sides of the aisle. Mr Lieberman, a staunch supporter of Israel, could also help Mr McCain win over Jewish voters.

“[McCain] loves Lieberman. And he is on the [short-]list because Lieberman has never embarrassed anyone, never misspoken. The first rule is, don’t take someone who costs you votes,” said one McCain adviser.

But not everyone would be enthusiastic about Mr Lieberman being added to the ticket. While Mr Lieberman has staunchly defended Mr McCain’s support of the surge, the escalation of US troops in Iraq, and the lawmakers have teamed up on legislative proposals to *combat global warming, the registered independent is aligned with Democrats on most other issues.

“Conservatives would be pissed as hell – I think you would have a revolt, but sometimes John does what John wants to do,” the McCain adviser said.

Another McCain adviser said that it was unlikely that the Republican candidate would base his decision on “tactical considerations”.

“He can be pragmatic, but on the biggest decisions he tends to favour his instinct for the bigger picture,” the adviser said.

Mr Lieberman’s office declined to comment. But when the senator was asked recently whether he would decline a request by Mr McCain he said: “It’s not going to happen”.

Mr Lieberman has left open the possibility that he would speak at the Republican National Convention, a move that would probably ensure that Democrats would strip him of his chairmanship of the committee on homeland security. Democratic leaders allowed Mr Lieberman to caucus with them in the Senate even after he left the party to become an independent, because it gave the party control of the Senate. *However, most analysts agree that if, as expected, Democrats win more seats in this year’s election, Mr Lieberman will be forced out of his coveted role on the *committee.

Speculation surrounding Mr McCain’s short-list of potential nominees has so far focused on Republicans, including Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and his rival for the Republican nomination, Tim Pawlenty, the governor of Minnesota, and Rob Portman, the former Ohio *congressman.

ItsTime
08-09-2008, 12:04 PM
you have been lied to, there are no choices in american politics.

Truth Warrior
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
AIPAC would be thrilled. :rolleyes:

LittleLightShining
08-09-2008, 12:07 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. What I can't wait for is the "conservative" commentators to start selling this donkey cart full of compost.

ItsTime
08-09-2008, 12:08 PM
I really really really want him to pick Lieberman. It would be our time to hit the, "we are the true conservatives" repeat button.

MRoCkEd
08-09-2008, 12:09 PM
the ticket from hell

Monolithic
08-09-2008, 03:48 PM
please pick him please please please

completely alienate your base do it mccain

TastyWheat
08-09-2008, 04:43 PM
please pick him please please please

completely alienate your base do it mccain
+(McCain's Age)

sidster
08-09-2008, 04:48 PM
the ticket from hell

edited:

the ticket to hell

Cowlesy
08-09-2008, 04:49 PM
he won't pick Lieberman. The Republican Party would collapse into a blackhole if he picked that whacko liberal.

Carole
08-09-2008, 05:21 PM
+Lieberman's age . :D

Political suicide. :D

New York For Paul
08-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Picking Lieberman just might make the delegates think twice about nominating McCain.

Dustancostine
08-10-2008, 02:15 PM
I really really really want him to pick Lieberman. It would be our time to hit the, "we are the true conservatives" repeat button.

Right on the Spot Time, I hope McCain picks him and either the Dels at the Convention Revolt or we have a conservative revolt in general. If McCain picks Lieberman as County Chair for the Republican Party I will come out strongly against McCain, vocally and loudly.

--Dustan

ronpaulblogsdotcom
08-10-2008, 02:20 PM
It would either be a great tactic or a complete disaster. Knowing McCain it would be a complete disaster.

Remember he flew 25 combat missions and destroyed 5 planes in that time.

James Madison
08-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Although Democrats have rejected Mr McCain’s image as a maverick politician, Mr Lieberman’s support for the presumptive Republican nominee has, much to the chagrin of his former *colleagues, helped to boost Mr McCain’s reputation as a bi-partisan legislator with friends on both sides of the aisle. Mr Lieberman, a staunch supporter of Israel, could also help Mr McCain win over Jewish voters.

If I was Jewish why would it matter whether or they "supported" Israel. Dammit, you're an American and you put American interests first. This duel-loyalty bullshit pisses me off.:mad:

Kludge
08-10-2008, 02:51 PM
he won't pick Lieberman. The Republican Party would collapse into a blackhole if he picked that whacko liberal.

That'd be sooooooo terrible :rolleyes: :p. I know a certain third party that's extra conservative this year.... :D

I'd pick Romney if I were McCain. Excellent name recognition and would bring back/energize the conservative grassroots.

brandon
08-10-2008, 04:38 PM
When do nominees usually pick a VP? At the convention?

The One
08-10-2008, 04:39 PM

not sure exactly, but it's usually b4 the convention.

Alawn
08-10-2008, 04:51 PM

I think it tends to be at the convention. Probably right after the presidential slot is picked.

tsetsefly
08-10-2008, 05:05 PM
If I was Jewish why would it matter whether or they "supported" Israel. Dammit, you're an American and you put American interests first. This duel-loyalty bullshit pisses me off.:mad:

jewish voters = 2% of the country... and that is if all of them vote...

I would love for mccain to pick lieberman, he would dig his own grave with that pick...

TastyWheat
08-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Are there any VP polls we could vote in to trick McCain into thinking it's a good idea?

Johnnybags
08-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Are there any VP polls we could vote in to trick McCain into thinking it's a good idea?

as I am sure we all are. Any way we can show out support for that ticket(other than send money) would be appreciated. Of all the people to choose from......even the pickle puffer from Florida is better.