PDA

View Full Version : Great video series on why global warming is a hoax.

The_Orlonater
08-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Before you guys start flaming me and call me unscientific.(Kade..:rolleyes::D)

Watch videos 1-6.

I'll keep this thread bumped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK3pK5W9H6w&feature=PlayList&p=FF275C460025CE80&index=0&playnext=1

The_Orlonater
08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Bump.

CUnknown
08-08-2008, 07:02 PM
I watched part 1. I'll watch the others in a bit. I'd like to point out that this was filmed in 1990, when the science was much less complete than it is now. The main scientist they interview in part 1 (Richard Linsen of MIT) as being skeptical of global warming has since apparently come around somewhat to take global warming more seriously. I found this (an interview with Bennet Brabson in which he talks about Linsen briefly) on this webpage: http://www.cinergy.com/04sar/listening/customers/b_brabson_p.html

You always have less information than you would like to have. And this is certainly the case in climate science.That said, the climate data we have available is high quality and allows us to recommend to policymakers a well conceived course of action.

There are excellent climate scientists who are very good at pointing out where the models are not quite right. For example, Richard Linsen at MIT is deeply involved the Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change (IPCC) reports. He questions the models but still believes we must investigate global warming.

So, you apparently believe Linsen when he's saying things you agree with, but not when he's saying things you disagree with? If he's heavily involved in the IPCC reports, that means that both sides of the argument (if there is indeed another valid side) are represented in those reports. So, why don't you believe them when they say that global warming is a serious issue that could have potentially catastrophic consequences?

Also, notice how the documentary wants to reject the idea that the globe is indeed warming. That was in 1990, remember. Well, the 90s were the hottest decade on record, I believe. No one doubts today that the planet is warming. Don't you see how that fact is a terrible problem for global warming denial? If it was possible, you would argue that, "Heck no, the planet's not warming up. You looney alarmist!" But instead you have to argue: "Uh ... well maybe the planet is warming, you were right about that. But, it will...uh... cool. Yeah, it's gonna cool off soon."

If you're constantly retreating as you're proven wrong, that should be a big red flag that your argument lacks a solid foundation.

The_Orlonater
08-08-2008, 07:22 PM
As you will watch further in the videos. The same concept applies, now there may be disagreements. They actually really take the points and break them down. There's plenty of other videos so this ain't the only source ,but it's a good series nonetheless. The global warming hysteria has been around for a while. There are still tons of scientists against global warming.

1998 warmest year for a while as I've been told. But I don't think this warming is such a huge thing. The earth has always warmed and cooled.

Sometimes you can even tell yourself. It was actually pretty cold around spring time in Chicago. I remember around 50 degrees in May and early June. I kid you not, but there were other "hot" days. But keep watching the videos further, then we'll have a a better discussion. You do bring up a good point, though.

Also you're quote says that he wants to investigate further. Well, duh? No really scientist just closes down the argument. Science gets better and people look into the case again, but they have some great examples in that movie that also fit the same context today.

yongrel
08-08-2008, 07:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyD9W2v-SME&feature=related

The_Orlonater
08-08-2008, 07:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyD9W2v-SME&feature=related

Lol?

What are you, the RPF comedian?

CUnknown
08-08-2008, 08:14 PM
[...]There are still tons of scientists against global warming.

There are a very few, who question that CO2 levels have been the cause of the increase. But no one questions global warming anymore. And the consensus is that, yes, human-caused CO2 increases have been the main cause of the warming. You don't need every single scientist for there to be a consensus, just the vast majority. SO, "tons of scientists against global warming"? No, not at all.

1998 warmest year for a while as I've been told. But I don't think this warming is such a huge thing. The earth has always warmed and cooled.

Yes, but the last time CO2 levels and temperatures have been this high, there were no human beings on the planet. This time, it's personal, and definitely, "a huge thing." Even the most conservative estimates are, what, hundreds of billions of dollars in damage and hundreds of thousands of lives lost? I think that's a pretty big deal.

Also you're quote says that he wants to investigate further. Well, duh? No really scientist just closes down the argument. Science gets better and people look into the case again, but they have some great examples in that movie that also fit the same context today.

Scientists would close down the argument, if there was "no evidence to support CO2-caused global warming" like people on this board are claiming. Science does close down research programs, quite often. Those that aren't going anywhere are shut down and the money diverted elsewhere. Clearly, global warming isn't one of these. There is plenty of evidence that gives us cause for concern. To claim otherwise, like most people on this board do, is plain foolish.

The_Orlonater
08-08-2008, 09:08 PM
There are a very few, who question that CO2 levels have been the cause of the increase. But no one questions global warming anymore. And the consensus is that, yes, human-caused CO2 increases have been the main cause of the warming. You don't need every single scientist for there to be a consensus, just the vast majority. SO, "tons of scientists against global warming"? No, not at all.

http://www.oism.org/pproject/

I found this. There are many scientists against global warming. No one is really denying the earth may be getting warmer, but if this is man's fault and we're all going to die? That's just baloney. I'll try to find more sources for you. But there are a lot of scientists against global warming. True, there are many more for it. There's a lot of corporatism involved, or is there? Oh by the way, did you watch most of it? There's some good info in there.

Yes, but the last time CO2 levels and temperatures have been this high, there were no human beings on the planet. This time, it's personal, and definitely, "a huge thing." Even the most conservative estimates are, what, hundreds of billions of dollars in damage and hundreds of thousands of lives lost? I think that's a pretty big deal.

They explain the whole Co2 thing in the video. I don't want to repeat them. The world's been industrial for 200 something years now. Of course more Co2 is going into the air. But let's not forget that the Co2 ain't the everything that's going to lead us into our "doomsday." And yes there have been humans when it was warmer then it is now. Like they said in the video, some places on the earth are hotter then other. Especially cities, and most of our measurements for global warming come from these areas.

Scientists would close down the argument, if there was "no evidence to support CO2-caused global warming" like people on this board are claiming. Science does close down research programs, quite often. Those that aren't going anywhere are shut down and the money diverted elsewhere. Clearly, global warming isn't one of these. There is plenty of evidence that gives us cause for concern. To claim otherwise, like most people on this board do, is plain foolish.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you're right about this. Then again there is a lot of corporatism involved in this. The whole being "green" thing is for profits.

CUnknown
08-08-2008, 10:42 PM
[...]There are many scientists against global warming. No one is really denying the earth may be getting warmer, but if this is man's fault and we're all going to die? That's just baloney. [...]

Climate scientists are the only ones that matter. There are no climate scientists who disagree with global warming. There are a few who aren't sure whether human-produced CO2 is causing it, that's it. There are exactly zero climate scientists, even among those paid by Exxon-Mobile, who would agree with the general opinion of global warming of this board. The people on this board who deny CO2-caused global warming, including you, have no scientific support for your beliefs.

[...]The world's been industrial for 200 something years now. Of course more Co2 is going into the air. But let's not forget that the Co2 ain't the everything that's going to lead us into our "doomsday." [...]

It is near 100% certain that humans are causing the earth to get hotter, and that the earth will continue to get hotter in the near future (our lifetimes). It is uncertain as to the extent that this warming will impact our lives, but the worst case scenario is potential extinction of the human race. Best case scenario is hundreds of thousands of lives lost, hundreds of billions of dollars in damage. All climate scientists will agree to these best and worst case scenarios. The only difference is, the ones paid by Exxon-Mobile will say the best case scenario is far more likely.

You scoff at the possibility of "doomsday" but no climate scientist will deny that the chance of such a human-caused event is greater than zero. You should be taking this possibility seriously. It may be extremely unlikely, no one knows for sure, but the facts that 1) the probability is greater than zero, and 2) we would have caused it, are sobering indeed.

Scientists would close down the argument, if there was "no evidence to support CO2-caused global warming" like people on this board are claiming. Science does close down research programs, quite often. Those that aren't going anywhere are shut down and the money diverted elsewhere. Clearly, global warming isn't one of these. There is plenty of evidence that gives us cause for concern. To claim otherwise, like most people on this board do, is plain foolish.

Maybe you're right about this. Then again there is a lot of corporatism involved in this. The whole being "green" thing is for profits.

Your response here would be comical if the situation we faced wasn't so grave.

Danke
08-08-2008, 10:50 PM
CUnknown, what is your background in the study of the climate?

CUnknown
08-09-2008, 08:11 AM
I am not a climate scientist, if that's what you're asking, Danke.

The_Orlonater
08-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Climate scientists are the only ones that matter. There are no climate scientists who disagree with global warming. There are a few who aren't sure whether human-produced CO2 is causing it, that's it. There are exactly zero climate scientists, even among those paid by Exxon-Mobile, who would agree with the general opinion of global warming of this board. The people on this board who deny CO2-caused global warming, including you, have no scientific support for your beliefs..

No scientific evidence? I just offered a series a videos explaining this whole hoax of the greenouse effect. There's scientific research on both sides. You just just keep saying I'm wrong. That's not the only movie, there are way more I can find.

It is near 100% certain that humans are causing the earth to get hotter, and that the earth will continue to get hotter in the near future (our lifetimes). It is uncertain as to the extent that this warming will impact our lives, but the worst case scenario is potential extinction of the human race. Best case scenario is hundreds of thousands of lives lost, hundreds of billions of dollars in damage. All climate scientists will agree to these best and worst case scenarios. The only difference is, the ones paid by Exxon-Mobile will say the best case scenario is far more likely..

The reason more people are dying of natural disasters is because more people live closely together. There have always been powerful hurricanes.Of course there might be damage and money will be spent? Either way we can't really do anything about it. And how are you so certain that man is to blame?

You scoff at the possibility of "doomsday" but no climate scientist will deny that the chance of such a human-caused event is greater than zero. You should be taking this possibility seriously. It may be extremely unlikely, no one knows for sure, but the facts that 1) the probability is greater than zero, and 2) we would have caused it, are sobering indeed..

This subject is still being debated. There a scientists against the whole "doomsday" crisis of global warming and there are more for it. Now don't ignore what I've shown and say I'm wrong. Just because it's from 1990 that doesn't make it "wrong."And also stop calling me "like everyone" else in this forum. What if I don't agree with you that means I'm like everyone else? What is this, everybody vs. you and Kade? Let's stop this.

haaaylee
08-09-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLkze-9GcI&feature=related

these are good ones, there are four parts and it's easy and fast to watch:

"The first of four parts where Professor Bob Carter uses the scientific method on the popular theory with global warming being linked to CO2 levels. He examnines the hypothesis and it fails the test. Inconvenient Truth author Al Gore would find his presentation contradicted by this presentation? Will kyoto`s greenhouse reduction goals be in vain?"

The_Orlonater
08-09-2008, 08:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLkze-9GcI&feature=related

these are good ones, there are four parts and it's easy and fast to watch:

"The first of four parts where Professor Bob Carter uses the scientific method on the popular theory with global warming being linked to CO2 levels. He examnines the hypothesis and it fails the test. Inconvenient Truth author Al Gore would find his presentation contradicted by this presentation? Will kyoto`s greenhouse reduction goals be in vain?"

Thanks. :)

LibertyOfOne
08-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Wow that video is dated. It's called global warming not Missouri warming. How fucking stupid.

WRellim
08-09-2008, 09:50 PM
The Great Global Warming Swindle
is another interesting series (used to be on YouTube... but seems to have been removed)

Watch it here:
http://leaningstraightup.com/2007/03/11/the-global-warming-swindle-video/

One of the most interesting aspects of this particular series is that it shows the "roots" of the current GW (or "Climate Change") as coming in great part from the UK Thatcher administration's creation of a "vested interest group" of so-called scientists, and the way that "global warming" has integrated and infiltrated itself into the whole "government-financed-grant" mechanism.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Global_Warming_Swindle

krazy kaju
08-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Good video, I'm watching it now.

haaaylee
08-09-2008, 10:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfHW7KR33IQ

the founder of the Weather Channel and 30,000 Scientists want to Sue Al Gore.

I'd say that is quite a good number of legit scientists who don't like these scare tactics.

And the video above has the starter, or one of them, from Greenpeace talking about leaving what he started because they went too far into global warming propaganda.

The_Orlonater
08-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Who cares if it's from 1990? What was so irrelevant about what their saying?

James Madison
08-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Is CO2 a greenhouse gas? Yes. Will adding CO2 to the atmosphere raise the global temperature? Technically yes. But the carbon dioxide levels are currently running at roughly 350 ppm or about .0035% of the total atmosphere. Now, even if humanity were to continue its ways with burning fossil fuel, the amount needed to cause significant harm to the Earth would easily dwarf the amount of fossil fuels left in the ground. The inane idea that CO2 is this deadly poison isn't even worthy of being called nonsense.

Shavenyak
08-10-2008, 07:53 PM
The inane idea that CO2 is this deadly poison isn't even worthy of being called nonsense.

Unfortunately, the supreme court disagrees with us:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6519923.stm

Unfortunately, that makes us all polluters by way of BREATHING. I can't wait for the government to try and regulate that. (sarcasm)

The_Orlonater
08-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Unfortunately, the supreme court disagrees with us:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6519923.stm

Unfortunately, that makes us all polluters by way of BREATHING. I can't wait for the government to try and regulate that. (sarcasm)

They'll do whatever they want!

Sadly.

LibertyOfOne
08-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Is CO2 a greenhouse gas? Yes. Will adding CO2 to the atmosphere raise the global temperature? Technically yes. But the carbon dioxide levels are currently running at roughly 350 ppm or about .0035% of the total atmosphere. Now, even if humanity were to continue its ways with burning fossil fuel, the amount needed to cause significant harm to the Earth would easily dwarf the amount of fossil fuels left in the ground. The inane idea that CO2 is this deadly poison isn't even worthy of being called nonsense.

Thank you mister scientist. Now please allow the way for people who know what the fuck they are talking about.

Sarge
08-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Another take seeing as both O and M are, according to the news, making the climate a top priority,

http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?partner=accuweather&blog=Meteomadness&pgurl=/mtweb/content/Meteomadness/archives/2008/08/the_strong_la_nina_domino_effect.asp

Lengthy, but worth the read. Note the comments at the bottom.