PDA

View Full Version : The Mother of all Hit Pieces (for now)

sedele
08-30-2007, 03:42 PM
-I see through most of this Neo-Con spin, but can some of you comment on what I have bolded? Thanks.

Sean

Debating Ron Paul
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By JB Williams
Aug 29, 2007

Ron Paul supporters are fast making a name for themselves on the web. Not because they are just web savvy, but because they have proven themselves to be the best at hacking on-line polls, invalidating conservative polling data on behalf of their candidate. It seems that even Democrat 527 MoveOn.org is now onboard the Ron Paul anti-war train.

Debating Ron Paul

Despite the fact that presidential candidate Ron Paul can not score better than 3% in any legitimate national poll, his supporters claim he is “the conservative” candidate to beat in the 2008 Republican race for the White House. Despite his less than conservative voting record in congress and his Teddy Kennedy like position on the war on terror in Iraq, his supporters think he is the most “conservative” candidate in the race. How?

On the Issues - Not strong on life: Voted NO on restricting interstate transport of minors to get abortions. (Apr 2005) - Voted NO on making it a crime to harm a fetus during another crime. (Feb 2004) - Voted NO on forbidding human cloning for reproduction & medical research. (Feb 2003)

Not strong on traditional Marriage: Voted NO on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004 & Jul 2006)

Not strong on crime and punishment: Opposes the death penalty. (Jan 2007) - Voted YES on funding for alternative sentencing instead of more prisons. (Jun 2000) - Voted NO on more prosecution and sentencing for juvenile crime. (Jun 1999) - Voted NO on constitutional amendment prohibiting flag desecration. (Jun 2003)

Not strong on fighting the drug problem: Legalize industrial hemp. (Jan 2007) - Voted NO on military border patrols to battle drugs & terrorism. (Sep 2001) - Voted NO on subjecting federal employees to random drug tests. (Sep 1998) - Legalize medical marijuana. (Jul 2001)

Not strong on free religious speech or private schooling options: Voted NO on allowing school prayer during the War on Terror. (Nov 2001) - Voted NO on requiring states to test students. (May 2001) - Voted NO on allowing vouchers in DC schools. (Aug 1998) - Rated 67% by the NEA, indicating a mixed record on public education

Not strong on national security and sovereignty: Voted NO on deterring foreign arms transfers to China. (Jul 2005) - Voted NO on reforming the UN by restricting US funding. (Jun 2005) - Military aggressiveness weakens our national defense. (May 2007) - Criticizes use of war on terror to curtail civil liberties. (Jan 2007) - Opposes Patriot Act & Iraq War. (Jan 2007) - Voted NO on continuing intelligence gathering without civil oversight. (Apr 2006) - Voted NO on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)

Not strong on government reform and campaign transparency: Voted NO on requiring lobbyist disclosure of bundled donations. (May 2007) - Voted NO on restricting independent grassroots political committees. (Apr 2006) - Voted NO on campaign finance reform banning soft-money contributions. (Feb 2002) - Voted NO on banning soft money and issue ads. (Sep 1999)

Not strong on Second Amendment Rights: Voted NO on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005) - Voted NO on prohibiting suing gun makers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003) - Voted NO on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)

Not strong in the war on terror: We're more threatened now by staying in Iraq. (Jun 2007) - We should have declared war in Iraq, or not gone in at all. (May 2007) - Ronald Reagan had the courage to turn tail & run in Lebanon. (May 2007) - Intervention abroad incites hatred & attacks like 9/11. (May 2007) - When we go to war carelessly, the wars don't end. (May 2007) - Voted against war because Iraq was not a national threat. (May 2007) - Opposes Iraq war and opposes path toward Iran war. (Jan 2007) - Voted YES on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007) - Voted NO on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006) - Voted NO on approving removal of Saddam & valiant service of US troops. (Mar 2004) - Voted NO on authorizing military force in Iraq. (Oct 2002)

I can keep going, but you can go look for yourself if you need more information. I think this is more than enough to explain why liberal Democrats are supporting Ron Paul for President. He’s better aligned with their thinking than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

It’s true that he voted correctly several times throughout his lengthy political career too. But then, so has Hillary and Teddy. Paul is telling folks that he has never voted against Americans best interests, to paraphrase. Does that look true above?

The question is - why are some self-styled Republicans supporting him and why are they willing to adopt the liberal practice of manipulating on-line polls and trashing other conservative candidates in order to promote what is clearly not a conservative candidate?

In 1992, a similar set of events were underway, both liberal-tarian Republicans with an isolationist national security outlook and a desire to end all federal spending not aimed at benefiting them personally, worked together with liberal Democrats who shared those same “all about me” values to promote a third party candidate named Ross Perot. Together, they seated President Bill Clinton with less than 47% of the popular vote, against the will of more than 53% of voters.

A friend and fellow writer recently pointed out that libertarians are actually just social liberals who don’t want any of their money used to fund the natural consequences of a socially liberal society. They pretend to be conservatives, when all they really are is money conscious liberals with an isolationist view of the world they live in.

Ron Paul provides a perfect example. Like Ross Perot, the notion of ending all “unconstitutional” international spending and reducing taxes is appealing to both liberals and libertarians. Withdrawing from the world for monetary reasons might prove to be deadly, but it will result in temporary reduced spending and eventually lower taxes and that is the real goal.

Ron Paul claims to be Americas “constitutionalist.” I’m a constitutionalist, a strong supporter of the American ideals so carefully crafted by our founders more than 200 years ago. So, why am I at odds with Ron Paul?

First, he’s not a constitutionalist, except when it serves his political agenda which is that of an isolationist liberal-tarian, not a conservative. When he is playing constitutionalist, as in the case of the war on terror (specifically in Iraq), he is a foolish constitutionalist. He claims that the constitution somehow prevents us from protecting our national security interests abroad. He also fails to recognize that the national security threats are much different today, as compared to those present in 1776.

He has recently stated that America should have “declared war” before going into Iraq, and I agree. But in October of 2002, March of 2004 and June of 2006, he voted against such a notion. He has claimed that the Hussein regime posed no national security threat to America, despite the many efforts by the Hussein regime to specifically threaten America over the years. He also ignores the fact that congress has failed to “declare war” in ever military action since WWII, though they authorized military action in every case except Kosovo under Clinton.

Ron Paul uses the pieces of the constitution that serve his political agenda, while overlooking the fundamental concepts throughout our founding documents, a right to Life, Liberty, pursuit of Happiness, security, sovereignty, morality, public decency and personal freedom.

So again, why are some Republicans willing to use extreme tactics like poll manipulation and fellow conservative candidate bashing in order to promote such a liberal candidate?

It’s easy to figure out why liberal Democrats are supporting Ron Paul. He’s anti-war, pro- marijuana, pro- gay rights and abortion under the guise of “privacy”, pro- gun control, anti-trade and an isolationist who believes that America is the bad guy around the globe, rather than the generous beacon of freedom that has liberated more people than all other nations combined. He is a liberal of the blame America first, last and often sort. He is perfect for liberals who believe in all the same things… Only Cindy Sheehan or Jane Fonda can draw a bigger anti-war crowd.

Now try explaining why any Republicans support him? When you are through studying the views of his supporters, you will find that they have two common values, a strong anti-war isolationist view of world events and a deep love of their money.

At the end of the day, Ron Paul supporters on both sides of the political aisle are driven by only two beliefs and one motivating factor. They are anti-war because they are anti-tax. They do not look beyond the agenda to reduce or eliminate taxes to see the consequences of the decisions they make. They would bring the war on terror abroad right to our own doorstep to save a few tax dollars and that allows Ron Paul to appeal to anti-war voters from the far left and the far right.

Thankfully, he has never appealed to more than 3% in any legitimate national poll. Sadly, his supporters will continue attacking all real conservatives and manipulating all on-line polls to cause further confusion and divisions among conservative voters.

The DNC is working behind the scenes to make him the Ross Perot of 2008, because no Democrat candidate can win unless the conservative vote is divided. Hillary Clinton can not get 50% of the vote in a general election and Barack Obama can not get even 40%. Republicans must be divided for Democrats to win.

That’s what the Ron Paul campaign is all about… Just my opinion of course.

dircha
08-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Ron Paul has introduced and strongly supported legislation to Constitutionally remove the judiciary's jurisdiction over abortion and same-sex marriage - the solution the Founders prescribed to the activist courts and judges who are increasingly controlling our lives and our religious values.

Ron Paul has denounced Roe v Wade and has actively worked to see it overturned.

Ron Paul has introduced legislation to legally define an unborn child as a human person, which would ensure the unborn the full and inviolable protection of our nation's laws.

Ron Paul has strongly opposed so-called campaign finance reform legislation that Unconstitutionally restricts our freedom of speech and serves to shut the voices of religious and faith-based organizations and the concerned Americans they represent, out of the political process.

Ron Paul has strongly opposed federal legislation that would spend your tax dollars to subsidize and support the gun industry but not your 2nd amendment rights.

Rather than support legislation aimed more at scoring political points in the media than protecting the lives and the rights of the unborn, Ron Paul has and continues to be this nation's strongest advocate for life in Washington today, by introducing and supporting legislation that would put a stop to the murder of unborn children.

Oddball
08-30-2007, 04:05 PM
Ron Paul uses the pieces of the constitution that serve his political agenda, while overlooking the fundamental concepts throughout our founding documents, a right to Life, Liberty, pursuit of Happiness, security, sovereignty, morality, public decency and personal freedom.

Did I just hear someone say "Freudian projection"???? http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8885/roflolrhardvf0.gif

Marshall
08-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Not strong on Second Amendment Rights: Voted NO on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005) - Voted NO on prohibiting suing gun makers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)

Now, from what I understand, a product misuse lawsuit would mean that anytime one guy shot another guy with a Beretta (or other firearm), that would mean that the person being shot could sue the company because some guy shot them. If thats what it actually means, then I don't know why Beretta should be held responsible for what some individual chooses to do with the product that they purchased from them. To take it to an extreme, if someone decided to stab someone else with the filed down stem of a pair of eyeglasses ala "Oz", then said stabee or their family could sue the company that made the glasses. Thats doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

If anyone can clear this up a bit for me I'd appreciate it, because I've seen this brought up a few times as evidence of Ron Paul being anti-2nd amendment. Although if my ass(u)(m)ptions are correct, then I would see this as being the opposite.

drednot
08-30-2007, 04:34 PM
On the Issues - Not strong on life: Voted NO on restricting interstate transport of minors to get abortions. (Apr 2005) - Voted NO on making it a crime to harm a fetus during another crime. (Feb 2004) - Voted NO on forbidding human cloning for reproduction & medical research. (Feb 2003)

Not strong on traditional Marriage: Voted NO on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004 & Jul 2006)

All of these are state's rights issues.

The constitution states, and legal precedent suggests, that legal details related to life and death issues are to be determined by the states. Murder, manslaughter, assault, all have state jurisdiction.

This is the basis of his opposition to the Roe V. Wade decision, and he wants to be constitutionally consistent.

As for same-sex marriage, the constitution makes no mention of marriage whatsoever, therefore it belongs in the domain of the States.

Furthermore, marriage is first a civil institution, not a legal institution. The federal government has no business meddling in the semantic definition of civil institutions. (eg, if you have a ceremony when your pet dies, do we need government to decide whether it is officially a "funeral"?) Thus if the federal government wants to regulate partnerships for tax purposes, it should stop using the word "marriage" and substitute "domestic partnership".

The definition of the word "marriage" should be left to civil society, where it can be debated by church groups, homosexual advocates, and other private parties.

drednot
08-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Not strong on government reform and campaign transparency: Voted NO on requiring lobbyist disclosure of bundled donations. (May 2007) - Voted NO on restricting independent grassroots political committees. (Apr 2006) - Voted NO on campaign finance reform banning soft-money contributions. (Feb 2002) - Voted NO on banning soft money and issue ads. (Sep 1999)

"Campaign Finance Reform", in its current incarnation is otherwise known as "Incumbant Protection", as it prevents challengers from raising the massive amounts of money needed to counterbalance years of free publicity, influence peddling, and alliance-building with lobbyists that incumbants enjoy. There's a reason why turnover rates in Congress are around 1%.

Furthermore, the usual arguments apply: the Constitution does not permit the Federal Government to restrict campaign contributions.

(Apr 2003) - Voted NO on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)

I'd have to see the actual text. Perhaps he was objecting to some hidden clause in the bill, or perhaps it was unconstitutionally infringing on state waiting periods.

ThePieSwindler
08-30-2007, 04:48 PM
This person is an idiot neocon who has every single position upside down on its head.

quickmike
08-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Now, from what I understand, a product misuse lawsuit would mean that anytime one guy shot another guy with a Beretta (or other firearm), that would mean that the person being shot could sue the company because some guy shot them. If thats what it actually means, then I don't know why Beretta should be held responsible for what some individual chooses to do with the product that they purchased from them. To take it to an extreme, if someone decided to stab someone else with the filed down stem of a pair of eyeglasses ala "Oz", then said stabee or their family could sue the company that made the glasses. Thats doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

If anyone can clear this up a bit for me I'd appreciate it, because I've seen this brought up a few times as evidence of Ron Paul being anti-2nd amendment. Although if my ass(u)(m)ptions are correct, then I would see this as being the opposite.

The reason he voted against this bill was because it had things in it about requiring trigger lock on everyones gun in their own homes, which kinda renders a gun you bought for protection useless. its like "oh, hang on mr burglar, did you see a little blue key laying around here anywhere? I need to unlock my gun so I can defend myself against you" Also it had something in it about making armor piercing ammunition a federal crime to posess.

Id say those two things alone are good enough reason to vote against ANY bill, no matter what other good you think it might do.

Marshall
08-30-2007, 05:12 PM
The reason he voted against this bill was because it had things in it about requiring trigger lock on everyones gun in their own homes, which kinda renders a gun you bought for protection useless. its like "oh, hang on mr burglar, did you see a little blue key laying around here anywhere? I need to unlock my gun so I can defend myself against you" Also it had something in it about making armor piercing ammunition a federal crime to posess.

Id say those two things alone are good enough reason to vote against ANY bill, no matter what other good you think it might do.

Or, conversely, "oh, hang on mr. federal agent who has come for a warrentless search, to drag me off to the draft warehouse, etc, please wait!" I agree that those reasons are good enough for it to be voted against. I'm wondering though, if he saw any problem with people suing a gun manufacturer, who sold the gun to a distributer, who sold it to a retailer, that sold it to someone that passed the background check being liable to some guy suing because eventually this gun got passed to an individual, who decided of their own accord to somehow misuse said product. In essence, is the manufacturer liable for misuse of whatever item they happen to sell?

And P.S.: Do full metal jacket ammunition count as armor piercing?

sedele
08-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks for clearing all of that up guys.

Here's the link to the article that Google Alerts sent me today from the National Ledger. (just in case anyone wants to let the author know how you feel;) )

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272615728.shtml

quickmike
08-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Or, conversely, "oh, hang on mr. federal agent who has come for a warrentless search, to drag me off to the draft warehouse, etc, please wait!" I agree that those reasons are good enough for it to be voted against. I'm wondering though, if he saw any problem with people suing a gun manufacturer, who sold the gun to a distributer, who sold it to a retailer, that sold it to someone that passed the background check being liable to some guy suing because eventually this gun got passed to an individual, who decided of their own accord to somehow misuse said product. In essence, is the manufacturer liable for misuse of whatever item they happen to sell?

And P.S.: Do full metal jacket ammunition count as armor piercing?

No, Ron Paul would never be in favor of holding a company responsible for a private individual using one of its products in a dangerous way. After all, personal responsibility is what RP is all about. As for the bullets, I didnt get a chance to read how "armor piercing" was defined in that bill. Doesnt really matter to me though. I think its no business of the government what material I can use in bullets. You might want to check that out though, they have sneaky ways of "defining" things and using flat out lies to pass laws that seem logical to the uneducated.

Good example of this - "Unfortunately, some public officials have made misleading claims about officer safety. For example, in 1995 President Clinton announced his support for a massive new ban on many ordinary types of ammunition. In the speech, President Clinton spoke emotionally about a Chicago police officer who had been fatally shot because a "cop-killer" bullet penetrated his vest. There was only one problem with the story: It wasn't true. The officer was shot by a criminal who used ordinary ammunition. One shot hit the officer in the head. Another shot went through an opening in the vest. No shot penetrated the vest"

Marshall
08-30-2007, 05:38 PM
No, Ron Paul would never be in favor of holding a company responsible for a private individual using one of its products in a dangerous way. After all, personal responsibility is what RP is all about. As for the bullets, I didnt get a chance to read how "armor piercing" was defined in that bill. Doesnt really matter to me though. I think its no business of the government what material I can use in bullets. You might want to check that out though, they have sneaky ways of "defining" things and using flat out lies to pass laws that seem logical to the uneducated.

Good example of this - "Unfortunately, some public officials have made misleading claims about officer safety. For example, in 1995 President Clinton announced his support for a massive new ban on many ordinary types of ammunition. In the speech, President Clinton spoke emotionally about a Chicago police officer who had been fatally shot because a "cop-killer" bullet penetrated his vest. There was only one problem with the story: It wasn't true. The officer was shot by a criminal who used ordinary ammunition. One shot hit the officer in the head. Another shot went through an opening in the vest. No shot penetrated the vest"

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it.

Dustancostine
08-30-2007, 05:46 PM
http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272615775.shtml

Williams admits it is a hit piece.

--Dustan

bbachtung
08-30-2007, 06:15 PM

Aside from the trigger lock provision, Ron Paul voted against this bill because the federal government has no business regulating state lawsuits. Leave it to the states (as required under the 9th / 10th amendments) to outlaw various types of lawsuits. The U.S. Constitution does not permit the federal government to meddle in such areas. All federal tort "reform" violates the U.S. Constitution, and Ron Paul has and will continue to vote against such unconstitutional usurpations of state authority.