PDA

View Full Version : Legal question regarding billboard advertising, need consult please.

New York Central
08-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I'm going to look into renting a billboard with my own money. I want to advertise for Ron Paul. I do not run or belong to any PAC's. What legalities are involved here, this is one area of politics I don't know about as I would imagine many do not.

So to sum it up, private citizen, my money, promoting Ron Paul. What do I need to know and watch out for?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

Alopederii
08-30-2007, 05:01 PM
First of all, I am not a lawyer. Take my information at your own risk.

Check out http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/citizens.shtml

Specifically:
When making an independent expenditure, you must include a notice stating that you have paid for the communication and that it is not authorized by any candidate's committee. ("Paid for by John Doe and not authorized by any candidate's committee.") Additionally, once you spend more than $250 during a calendar year on independent expenditures with respect to a given election, you must file a report with the Federal Election Commission (either FEC Form 5 [PDF]), or a signed statement containing the same information).

Also see http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/indexp.shtml for the disclaimer that is required (it needs to be in a readable, printed box)

I think you should go with a PAC for two reasons:
- The "Paid for by [insert PAC name here]..." disclaimer looks more professional than "Paid for by [insert your name here]..."
- You would need to file an FEC report either way.

Maybe try PMing Lord Xar. I think he operates a PAC, and might be willing to place the ad if you handle all the legwork. In fact, I think that you could specifically pay for the billboard and advertising space (no need to donate to the PAC) and have the PAC count it as an in-kind donation to keep it according to FEC rules. But check with Lord Xar first.

Hope this helps!

New York Central
09-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Yes, it was helpful. What sounds to be the best route for me would be to go through a pac for this.