PDA

View Full Version : Civics and voter education

cbc58
08-07-2008, 12:31 PM
This is somewhat a continuation of the prior thread on civics and I think there is a fundamental need for more education on how the financial system and our government works.

I'd like to put forward an idea for discussion on forming something called the "Voter Education Alliance". This would be a 501(c)3 organization that works to eduate people of all ages on civics and the ins and outs of governement and the economy. It would just present facts and be non-partisan.

It could be set up with local chapters and a core curriculum could be developed that could be presented by volunteers or paid help.

One of the concepts behind setting it up this way is that people could make donations to this entity and get a tax writeoff. So in essence using the system to change the system.

This is just an idea and I'd like to find out what people think of the concept and what type of support it might get from people here. Tks.

micahnelson
08-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Its the only way we are going to have change in this country. I might support it, but it has to be the sort of organization that actually does the work- not lobby Congress to get mandatory civics standards in public school.

Never understood why people would ask a failing government to mandate failing teachers to teach failing students about civics, and expect it to achieve anything.

If it was focused on voter education, helping all candidates get ballot access (including third party and independent), hosting debates, etc- it could be really effective if ran by the right people. Expect to be ignored by the two main parties though- they don't like anything that might support other viewpoints.

cbc58
08-07-2008, 01:25 PM
What I envision is something that actually gets out there and teaches people what is going on. That to me is the biggest problem -- a lack of knowing what is going on. In the long run education is key.

I think the more people know the more they will demand reforms and get involved.

Kludge
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Instead, I think someone should pay my tuition.

cbc58
08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Instead, I think someone should pay my tuition.

I don't understand that response. please clarify.

Kludge
08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
I don't understand that response. please clarify.

I intend to get a degree in "History Teacher Education" from Central Michigan University :D

What better way to promote anti-authoritarianism then by putting a libertarian in a history/gov't teaching position?

micahnelson
08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
I have a friend who teaches 8th grade history. He has an alarm clock that beeps every day to remind himself and his students when he stops working for the government and begins to keep his own money.

cbc58
08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
if there are any teachers here or anyone else for that matter who would like to help develop this idea, please let me know.

my personal opinion is that in order to reach the widest possible audience you have to be neutral and not affiliated with any particular group. educate the people and they will learn what is really happening and then decide for themselves who to vote for and get involved with. chances are pretty good that many will gravitate torward RP thinking.

Cowlesy
08-08-2008, 07:53 AM
I have a friend who teaches 8th grade history. He has an alarm clock that beeps every day to remind himself and his students when he stops working for the government and begins to keep his own money.

That is awesome :)

princessredtights
08-08-2008, 08:48 AM
I've heard the JBS is wanting to get copies of "Overview of America" to Jr & Sr high history, civics, political science etc, classes for Constitution Day Sept 17

cbc58
08-25-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm going to start working on this slowly and hopefully something will come from it. Could use some help if anyone is interested. Tks

Agent CSL
09-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I've pondered a volunteer teaching position, but I am young and uncredited. So it would be difficult.