08-06-2008, 09:40 AM
When did this happen? =o

http://www.jimforsythe.com/

amy31416
08-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Awesome!

acptulsa
08-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Pack the statehouses! Get 'em groomed for the federal legislature, and get 'em in as soon as they're ready! If we have to start from scratch, it's past time to get started! Instant gratification is overrated anyway... let's earn this!

samaberle
08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
He should do pretty well!!

Jeremy
08-06-2008, 12:30 PM
He should do pretty well!!

Do you actually know or are you just saying nice things. Because I'm curious about his chances. =)

votefreedomfirst
08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Do you actually know or are you just saying nice things. Because I'm curious about his chances. =)

I think he’ll win. The New Hampshire legislature is the largest representative body in the world. IIRC there is approximately one state rep for every 1500 voters. The token salary of $100 a year (plus gas reimbursements) ensures that the people who run do so for the desire to serve, not profit.

Those factors combined with the assistance of (fellow?) Free State Project members should hopefully put him over the top.

brandon
08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
$100 /year? What a terrible idea. They should make it $50,000+

at $100/year how can anyone make a living as a rep unless they are independently wealthy or taking money from lobbyists?

votefreedomfirst
08-06-2008, 01:08 PM
$100 /year? What a terrible idea. They should make it $50,000+

at $100/year how can anyone make a living as a rep unless they are independently wealthy or taking money from lobbyists?

There's 400 state reps and New Hampshire has no income or sales tax. They probably couldn't afford to pay them more even if they wanted to.

It's a part time gig...it leaves plenty of time to hold another job. One of my poli sci professors at college was also a state rep. However, I think it's mostly retired people looking to give something back.

edit: Here is a great NH Liberty Alliance guide to becoming a state representative (http://nhliberty.org/files/becoming.pdf)

Jeremy
08-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Here's a question for NH people: is it a true a free stater is running for the same office?

NH4RonPaul
08-06-2008, 03:40 PM
FIRST a few facts...

Jim Forsythe is NOT a 'freestater' but certainly is well known to the 600 who moved here to help with the political climate. He was living in NH before it was chosen. However, he's an excellent worker for liberty and a great candidate.

Second, there are about 60 others just like him running for State Rep in NH, a few are true freestaters in the sense that they found out about NH being the best state via the FSP. The FSP does not do anything but ask that people move here by the way. They have no organization on the ground so to speak and do not tell people how to get involved. These are all NH Republicans, which are the ones who kept NH running so smoothly on lower taxes for 80 years before the Dems took over. Basically the NH Republicans/republicans are libertarians with a small L.

Third, our legislature is called a 'citizens legislature'. There is no monetary reward for serving and we've had reps as young as 19.

We have some REALLY good people running, including a mother and son team running as well.
http://www.theconcordinsider.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/NEWS01/807280327/0/theconcordinsider

(By the way, Garret is extremely bright and his Mom, well she just plain kicks ass literally!)

You can hear their interview of July 31 on NH Taxpayer Radio (nhtaxpayerradio.com/shows2008.php)

There are some freestaters who refuse to vote or do anything politically but they are only about 1/3 of the people who have moved. Those of us who are natives or have lived here for a long time wish they would get active since it doesn't take much to turn things around in NH at the local and state level.
This 'I don't believe in voting or being part of the system' can be done in any state -- they should not bother to move here to NH if they don't want to be involved with state issues.

aspiringconstitutionalist
08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Constitutionalists who lose political races never die. They just get elected later. :)

Look at Ron Paul!