PDA

View Full Version : My friend and I want to go campaign this evening... what should we do?

madcat033
08-30-2007, 01:38 PM
My buddy and I want to go campaigning for Ron Paul when I get off work at 5 today... any suggestions for what we should do? Go door to door? Pass out literature somewhere? We live in the seacost of New Hampshire so this is a critical state too... we want to help!

We have Ron Paul shirts, but we don't really have any literature. Any recommendations on stuff we can print out and bring with us, or effective pitches to present to people?

belian78
08-30-2007, 01:41 PM
print off the "letter of faith". also print off some of the stuff on the issues pages of ronpaul2008.com. also, look in 'campaign material' on the main page of the forums.

most importantly, have fun!

Green Mountain Boy
08-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Welcome to the forum!

If you talk to people, make sure to tell them to tune into the Debate on Sept. 5 to listen to Dr. Paul speak.

If you scroll down to the "Campaign Material" forum, there are lots of flyers and material for you to find. There is also a yahoo group called "ronpaulgraphics" that you can join. They have lots of very nice flyers and other stuff to download and print out.

Buzz
08-30-2007, 01:45 PM
There are a lot of threads with links to good printable lit on this board. If you have a good feel for the average political leanings of the people in your area, you should be able to pick out the lit that would be the most effective.

Elwar
08-30-2007, 01:45 PM
One video I saw said that going door to door was not as effective as going to a busy street corner and handing out flyers as the cars stop by.

Makes sense.

DjLoTi
08-30-2007, 01:47 PM
You could go to the mall. You could prob talk to at least 30+ people there.

Santana28
08-30-2007, 01:52 PM
You could go to the mall. You could prob talk to at least 30+ people there.

LOL... when i saw the thread title i thought it said "I want to go Camping for Ron Paul" and i was like... how the heck would THAT work? haha.

Oh, and as a mall security officer i'd advise you to be HIGHLY carefull about doing anything at any malls. If you do so - STAY SEPERATE... do NOT group together. Try to get as many people as possible in as many diferent locations as possible - if one gets caught, do NOT mention there are other people involved. You'll distract security enough hopefully that they'll let their guard down and wont be looking for the other people. If you are discreet you should be able to get a lot done in a short amount of time.

I repeat - DO NOT group together. If someone tells you to leave - leave immediately, and do not argue. They can handcuff you and have you arrested for tresspassing.

Also - try to work around shift-change time if possible ;) and stay away from entryways and food courts!!

madcat033
08-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Do you think campaigning at a place like the mall would be more effective than going door to door? Anyone have experience?

Also, how do you campaign at the mall? Can you get in trouble with security?

belian78
08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
really, i'd say take some of the material found in the forums and go door to door in your neighborhoods. group up in 2's and take different blocks.

in the future, call the campaign about getting slim jims and then go canvas parking lots at local events.

max
08-30-2007, 02:05 PM
My buddy and I want to go campaigning for Ron Paul when I get off work at 5 today... any suggestions for what we should do? Go door to door? Pass out literature somewhere? We live in the seacost of New Hampshire so this is a critical state too... we want to help!

We have Ron Paul shirts, but we don't really have any literature. Any recommendations on stuff we can print out and bring with us, or effective pitches to present to people?

Hew hamspire folks will like this flyer...download and make tons of copies for car windshields...door to door...crowded places etc.

http://www.ronpaulpostcards.com/foundersflyer.html

Santana28
08-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Do you think campaigning at a place like the mall would be more effective than going door to door? Anyone have experience?

Also, how do you campaign at the mall? Can you get in trouble with security?

i'm a mall security officer... see my post above.

the only way to legitimately campaign at a mall would be to apply for and get permission from mall management to do so.... and since it is related to politics that would almost be a 100% NO since they can't be accused of taking sides. I wouldn't suggest tipping them off by applying and being turned down. Yes - you can get in trouble with security. You can risk being banned from the mall or arrested for trespassing. If you dont care about that - then its up to you. If you plan on hitting up a mall then i'd advise anyone to scope it out ahead of time and figure out the shift change schedule, the camera locations, how many officers are out and about usually (first shift might be easier to sneak past than 2nd shift, who usually are more aggressive because they have more incidents). Do your research - and STAY SEPERATE. Dont reconnect with each other until you are off property, and always tell them you are working alone.

jonahtrainer
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
i'm a mall security officer... see my post above.

the only way to legitimately campaign at a mall would be to apply for and get permission from mall management to do so.... and since it is related to politics that would almost be a 100% NO since they can't be accused of taking sides. I wouldn't suggest tipping them off by applying and being turned down. Yes - you can get in trouble with security. You can risk being banned from the mall or arrested for trespassing. If you dont care about that - then its up to you. If you plan on hitting up a mall then i'd advise anyone to scope it out ahead of time and figure out the shift change schedule, the camera locations, how many officers are out and about usually (first shift might be easier to sneak past than 2nd shift, who usually are more aggressive because they have more incidents). Do your research - and STAY SEPERATE. Dont reconnect with each other until you are off property, and always tell them you are working alone.

We have political stuff all the time in malls. The local ones have a Free Speech area and as long as you get permission you can set up a political booth and talk with people. They do not discriminate based on the content of the speech so it keeps their reputation neutral. So long as you are not disruptive, the malls usually inform us of their rules, the customers are not offended. People will get up and stump about all kinds of stuff and sometimes advertise beforehand.

I figure the malls like the additional traffic. Check with them as it is their property. Ultimately, all politics is local. So, get some slimjims (http://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/RP2008SlimJim.pdf), flyers (http://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/ImprovedRonPaulTrifoldFlyer_150dpi.pdf), issue statements (http://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/Flyer-Issues.pdf) and DVDs (http://ronpauldvd.com/)and go door to door. Who knows who you may run into. Sure makes for interesting times and stories.

For example, last night I was at a local issues meeting with people from across the spectrum and I got my 5 minutes to stump. I was the 2nd of about 30 to speak and I talked about Habeas Corpus and the Halliburton camps. Talk about some deer in the headlights. Anyway, one guy said it was ok to deny Habeas Corpus and cited WWII and the Japanese. So, we had a very interesting discussion. I personally can't understand how anyone could think it a good idea to get rid of Habeas Corpus. As Jefferson said it "protects alien and citizen from everything which is not law."

Another example, I was at a jewerly store and had my Ron Paul button on. A guy asked me who Ron Paul was. His wife was shopping for a new Rolex. I said "He is running for President and wants to get rid of the IRS." Come to find out the guy owns a construction company, is very interested and has lots of money. He wants to get involved with our Meetup.

If anything put on a button and go walk around the mall. Be polite and respectful and you'll get a lot more accomplished.

specsaregood
08-30-2007, 02:29 PM
./

jasonhlasvegas
08-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Is New Hampshire an Open or Closed Primary?

quickmike
08-30-2007, 02:35 PM
One video I saw said that going door to door was not as effective as going to a busy street corner and handing out flyers as the cars stop by.

Makes sense.

Thats true as long as they get a flyer from you. Dont just hold up a sign though with Ron Paul's name on it.............. thats pointless. Door to door isnt bad either though. As long as you talk to someone and get a flyer to them, its always a good thing.

Santana28
08-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Not true. At least not in Florida.
You should look into a case by Kevin E. Wood.
http://www.aclufl.org/legislature_courts/legal_department/briefs_complaints/woodspeechcomplaint.cfm

Excerpt:
"Beyond all of the types of activities discussed above, the Panama City Mall is utilized by many people as a public meeting location. Lots of people go to the mall to meet other people or to just stroll through the mall. Young people particularly use the mall as a place to meet their friends, and because of the controlled climate, lots of people get their exercise by walking around the mall. The Panama City Mall claims that it had posted its policies regarding public use of the mall; however, Defendant asserts that such policies were not prominently posted because he never saw them. "

Basicly the mall can be considered the equivalent of the old-time "town square".
The Florida Supreme Court upheld this decision, IIRC.

It depends on the type of mall i suppose. Most malls are NOT "public domain" - they are private property with private property rules. Of course anyone can walk around with a tshirt on and give people things if they are asked about it - but grouping together and handing out things to people unsolicited is asking for trouble and probably against the mall's no soliciting policy. If your mall has a designated "public" space then you might be able to do it. At our mall, any type of solicitation must be specifically approved by mall management beforehand - and unless it is bringing money to the mall, they almost never agree to it.

Look into the rules before doing anything - because otherwise there might be consequences you dont like.

specsaregood
08-30-2007, 03:26 PM
It depends on the type of mall i suppose. Most malls are NOT "public domain" - they are private property with private property rules. Of course anyone can walk around with a tshirt on and give people things if they are asked about it - but grouping together and handing out things to people unsolicited is asking for trouble and probably against the mall's no soliciting policy. If your mall has a designated "public" space then you might be able to do it. At our mall, any type of solicitation must be specifically approved by mall management beforehand - and unless it is bringing money to the mall, they almost never agree to it.

Look into the rules before doing anything - because otherwise there might be consequences you dont like.

Well the point of that lawsuit was to make the point that many of these types of locations should be considered "public space". Malls, strip malls, grocery stores.
If I understand it correctly.

Whether you agree or not with that position, it is an interesting thought. The Mall and strip malls HAVE replaced the old time gathering places, such as town squares. So why should they not be considered "public space"? The owner invites the public to their location.

I don't want to go offtopic, but that link I posted is well worth a read and considering.

Santana28
08-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Well the point of that lawsuit was to make the point that many of these types of locations should be considered "public space". Malls, strip malls, grocery stores.
If I understand it correctly.

Whether you agree or not with that position, it is an interesting thought. The Mall and strip malls HAVE replaced the old time gathering places, such as town squares. So why should they not be considered "public space"? The owner invites the public to their location.

I don't want to go offtopic, but that link I posted is well worth a read and considering.

well that stuff is all fine and good - all i'm saying is that when you walk in a mall they have policies. they dont care about court cases - if a situation arrises they want to get it over with as soon as possible, and thats all they care about. they are not going to stand there and argue constitutional rights - they are just going to kick you out, because it's their property and if someone's not following their policies thats what they do.