PDA

View Full Version : James Dobson threatens to endorse McCain

mrtruthenator
08-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Read the following excellent article by John Lofton, then email or call and .ask James Dobson not to support the liberal John McCain.

Open letter to Brother Dobson By John Lofton
The Covenant News ~ July 25, 2008

But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

– Matthew 5:37.

A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways. – James 1:8.

"Finally, I want to give a pledge to you on a political level, and I'm speaking for myself, not Focus On The Family, which is a non-political organization. I can just tell you that I have determined that for the rest of my life, however long God lets me live on this earth, I will never cast one vote for any man or woman who would kill one innocent baby!"

– You, sir, in an address to a huge pro-life rally, in Washington DC, in 1990.

"I've criticized [Sen. McCain's] continuing support for federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. That bothers me a lot. It leads to killing of babies, very tiny babies. But they are human beings."

– You, sir, on your July 8, 2008, radio show in which you said it is now a possibility you might endorse John McCain who also believes it should be legal to abort unborn babies who are in the womb because of rape or incest.

Dear Brother Dobson:

I am writing to you, friend, not to criticize you or rebuke you but rather to plead with you, to beg you, to beseech you, to please stop thinking about the possibility of endorsing John McCain for president. You cannot do this, sir. And you cannot do this for the simple reason that you have said flatly, categorically, unqualifiedly, vehemently, repeatedly, that under no circumstances would you support McCain for president – period.

Yes, I know what you are reported to have said in a statement to the Associated Press about the possibility you will now support McCain. The AP quotes you as saying that "there's nothing dishonorable in a person rethinking his or her positions, especially in a constantly changing political contest." But, McCain has changed on none of the things which were the basis of you saying you would never support him. Your unyielding opposition to him was for things he has already said and done – things he has not changed!

As Christians, above all other people, words should matter to us, friend, because not to be credible, to appear to be duplicitous, damages the cause of Christ. And in my 44 years of covering national politics, I have never seen a more flat-out, no-running-room position taken than your correct opposition to McCain.

In your official statement on McCain (Feb. 5, 2008), you criticized him for: refusing to protect marriage; his un-constitutional McCain-Feingold campaign "reform" law; and for his wanting to medically experiment on human embryos. You also took him to task for what you called his "legendary temper" and how "he often uses foul and obscene language." You even went so far as to say that if it were Obama vs. McCain in November, you would, for the first time in your life, "not cast a ballot for president."

And Tom Minnery, Focus On The Family's VP in charge of public policy, has said, regarding McCain's role in the McCain-Feingold law: "He really dealt us a low blow, we thought, with his McCain-Feingold campaign reform bill, which became law thanks to President Bush signing it into law. That law kept organizations like ours away from broadcast ads that mentioned a candidate by name 30 days before a primary election, or 60 days before a general election. In other words, those of us who have things to say on the issues about candidates – we couldn't say them in front of elections, the very time people want to hear. That really frustrated us about this candidate, this senator" (emphasis Minnery's).

I heard you say on the "Frank Pastore" talk show (May 18, 2007), that McCain was a candidate "I absolutely cannot, under any circumstances, go for."

I heard you say on KCBI's "Jerry Johnson Live Show," regarding McCain: "He's not in favor of traditional marriage. And I pray that we don't get stuck with him. … I would not vote for John McCain under any circumstances" (emphasis yours).

Another reason you cannot now support McCain is because of many things you have said in the past that fit him like a glove and totally rule out you being able to support him now in any way. For example, there is the quote at the beginning of this column, what you said to that 1990 pro-life rally in Washington, D.C. And you repeated this position in a March 1995 letter to supporters, saying: "I am committed never again to cast a vote for a politician who would kill one innocent baby. These little ones have no defense except that which we provide for them. Never will I use my influence, however remotely, to support the shedding of their blood."

Well, John McCain, by favoring rape/incest abortion exceptions and federal-funding of medical experiments on human embryos, is, in your words, "a politician who would kill one innocent baby." No exaggeration here; no hyperbole. That's exactly what McCain is.

And you also said in that same letter something very insightful, very prescient: "Some would ask, 'Shouldn't we vote for the lesser of two evils when the choice is between pro-abortion candidates?' I believe not. To compromise on so fundamental an issue gives [pro-life politicians/parties] no incentive to defend the pro-life position. By voting for a moderate pro-abortionist who might be more desirable in the short run, we squander our influence on decision-makers. Rather, when a significant number of votes are cast for a third party/pro-life candidate, even in a losing cause, that fact will not go unnoticed by political leaders. They will be more likely to court our support in the future, especially if they lost the last election. That's the way the game is played."

Amen, Brother Dobson! Amen! Exactly right!

It's way past time when, as Christians, we should have acted like Christians, saying: No more anti-Christian, corrupt, "lesser-of-two-evils" politics, because the lesser-evil is still evil! No more yielding to relativistic "boogey man" scare tactics that seek to make us, in this year's election, hold our respective noses and vote for the "moderate-pro-abortionist" McCain – and that's what he is.

Please, Brother Dobson, please, do not support John McCain.

Written by John Lofton, a “recovering Republican,” is, Editor of The American
View.

James Dobson previously said: "No Way I Will Ever Support John
McCain!"

"I've criticized [Sen. McCain's] continuing support for federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.
That bothers me a lot. It leads to killing of babies, very tiny babies. But they are human beings." -
Dr. James Dobson on July 8, 2008, radio show.

Call James Dobson
If you prefer to contact us via telephone, Focus on the Family toll free phone number is (800) A-FAMILY (232-6459).
Also call James Dobson at (719) 531-5181 or 719-531-3427
and also email at citizenlink@family.org

As Dr. Dobson is considering endorsing John McCain for president, and we
should encourage and inform Dr. Dobson that McCain is not his only
choice in this election.
There is an alternative candidate; Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution
Party , http://www.baldwin08.com