PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul is a Republican bigwig now?

devil21
08-03-2008, 02:45 AM
I ran across this WashPost article calling Ron Paul a "Republican bigwig". Was the author closely following the same GOP race that I was? I got about halfway through the first page nodding in agreement, then wringing my hands at everything after. As if Bush and the neo-cons have ANYTHING to do with traditional conservative values. Clear attempt to name drop RP and dissuade conservatives from supporting him.
(Personal commentary over)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/01/AR2008080103061.html

Largely as a consequence, the public's attitude toward government -- Ronald Reagan's bête noire -- has shifted. A recent Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll found that, by a 53-to-42 percent margin, Americans want government to "do more to solve problems"; a dozen years ago, respondents opposed government action by 2 to 1. Meanwhile, Republican constituency groups' long-standing determination to put aside their often significant differences and band together to support GOP candidates is fracturing: The libertarian darling Ron Paul and the evangelical Christian leader James C. Dobson are among the Republican bigwigs who haven't so far endorsed McCain. And the mountains of books and articles by conservative writers attacking liberals and liberalism have begun to be matched by new stacks of tomes exploring what went wrong with conservatism and what is to become of it. ...cont'd

Jeremy
08-03-2008, 04:56 AM
They might mean Republicans in congress. After all, he's kind of a more important Republican than some random registered Republican that isn't in office. =o