PDA

View Full Version : Why were This November 5th and Boston Tea Party so successful?

aspiringconstitutionalist
08-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Why were the 11-5 and 12-16 moneybombs so successful during the Ron Paul campaign?

I think a few reasons were:

-Ron Paul was a national candidate and was getting national media attention (albeit not as much as the other candidates). Many Ron Paulites haven't even been made aware of BJ Lawson.
-They were taking place during better economic times.
-They really milked the money out of Ron Paulites. Many of us scrimped and saved and some even went into debt to donate on these days. Many of us took on financial pain for months to come because of our donations to Ron Paul, and the evidence for this is the lower and lower numbers we had with each successive moneybomb after 12-16.
-The moneybombs had several weeks to plan and get the word out.
-The moneybombs were tied to significant dates and had powerful themes ("Remember, remember the 5th of November"... "Boston Tea Party--the start of the revolution")
-This may seem trivial, but I think one of the most important factors in what made the 11-5 and 12-16 moneybombs so successful was emotionally-moving Youtube videos. I know it sounds goofy, but really, I honestly think it was the Youtube videos that motivated people.
-The moneybombs seemed "official." There was a good consensus, lots of people were behind them, and there weren't all sorts of random moneybombs floating around.

In any case, the fact is that moneybombs work. They unite people behind a common cause and compel them to donate more than they would otherwise. Many patriots complained and dragged their knuckles through the whole moneybomb era of the Ron Paul campaign, saying that Ron needed constant small donations spread out throughout the season. That may indeed have made financial planning easier for Ron's campaign, but what those folks didn't understand is that we couldn't have gotten the amounts of money we did were it not for the moneybombs. There is a very important psychological factor in moneybombs that is not to be ignored.

The first three points I mentioned earlier are points that we can't change with BJ's campaign. BJ is not running for President, and is thus not going to get national media coverage like Ron Paul did. The economic environment today is what it is and many of us just can't afford to donate now like we did a year ago, period.

But I think we can plan one more significant moneybomb, hopefully landing over $1 million for BJ Lawson.

However, the new moneybomb needs to:
-Be given sufficient lead time to plan and spread the word. At least four weeks. But it can't be too late that the money will be useless at such a late stage.
-It needs to be tied to a very powerful date. Not just a mere holiday or someone's birthday, but to a day that is associated with something revolutionary. A date that is marked by some huge event.
-This sounds juvenile, but it's true: we need awesome, tear-jerking Youtube videos to promote it. Ghoeberx style. eLib3rty style. You know what I'm talking about.
-It needs to be something we can all get behind, and it needs to feel "official," like it is THE moneybomb, not just "a" moneybomb.
-We need to really give it 100% this time, and put forth way more effort than we did for the Lawson Liberty Fund moneybomb (not saying that many people didn't work their asses off for that one, but we have to double down on our efforts even more). We need to utilize Facebook, Meetup lists, Myspace, email contact lists, everything to get the word out.

If any of you have ideas for a new BJ Lawson moneybomb with all these factors in mind, let's get going and developing it here in this thread and make this one BIG.

08-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Here's an idea to start things off. September 17th is Constitution Day. On this day in 1787, the US Constitutional Convention signed the Constitution. This would give us several weeks of leadtime to plan, organize, and get the word out (but it still leaves a little under 2 months before the actual election for the Lawson campaign to put the money to good use), and it's tied to a significant and powerful day. Thoughts?

Bryan
08-01-2008, 11:12 PM
September 17th is the day of the Liberty Straw Poll, Congressional Match-up. For those not familiar, the way it works it we'll have 7 liberty candidates competing for your straw poll vote, available with a $10 donation to the American Liberty Coalition PAC. The straw poll winner(s) gets all the funding.
See: www.LibertyStrawPoll.com for details and ticket purchases (just went on sale).

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just an FYI... :)

08-01-2008, 11:20 PM
September 17th is the day of the Liberty Straw Poll, Congressional Match-up. For those not familiar, the way it works it we'll have 7 liberty candidates competing for your straw poll vote, available with a $10 donation to the American Liberty Coalition PAC. The straw poll winner(s) gets all the funding.
See: www.LibertyStrawPoll.com for details and ticket purchases (just went on sale).

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just an FYI... :)

Ah! I didn't realize it was September 17th. Thanks for the headsup.

Bryan
08-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Ah! I didn't realize it was September 17th. Thanks for the headsup.

If BJ is one of the seven (something I have no real control over) then there will already be attention to the campaign from the straw poll- so if the straw poll is big then it can be an additional draw to get people into the excitement of a money bomb that could hit high gear at that time. :)

Perry
08-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Why were the 11-5 and 12-16 moneybombs so successful during the Ron Paul campaign?

I think a few reasons were:

-Ron Paul was a national candidate and was getting national media attention (albeit not as much as the other candidates). Many Ron Paulites haven't even been made aware of BJ Lawson.
-They were taking place during better economic times.
-They really milked the money out of Ron Paulites. Many of us scrimped and saved and some even went into debt to donate on these days. Many of us took on financial pain for months to come because of our donations to Ron Paul, and the evidence for this is the lower and lower numbers we had with each successive moneybomb after 12-16.
-The moneybombs had several weeks to plan and get the word out.
-The moneybombs were tied to significant dates and had powerful themes ("Remember, remember the 5th of November"... "Boston Tea Party--the start of the revolution")
-This may seem trivial, but I think one of the most important factors in what made the 11-5 and 12-16 moneybombs so successful was emotionally-moving Youtube videos. I know it sounds goofy, but really, I honestly think it was the Youtube videos that motivated people.
-The moneybombs seemed "official." There was a good consensus, lots of people were behind them, and there weren't all sorts of random moneybombs floating around.

In any case, the fact is that moneybombs work. They unite people behind a common cause and compel them to donate more than they would otherwise. Many patriots complained and dragged their knuckles through the whole moneybomb era of the Ron Paul campaign, saying that Ron needed constant small donations spread out throughout the season. That may indeed have made financial planning easier for Ron's campaign, but what those folks didn't understand is that we couldn't have gotten the amounts of money we did were it not for the moneybombs. There is a very important psychological factor in moneybombs that is not to be ignored.

The first three points I mentioned earlier are points that we can't change with BJ's campaign. BJ is not running for President, and is thus not going to get national media coverage like Ron Paul did. The economic environment today is what it is and many of us just can't afford to donate now like we did a year ago, period.

But I think we can plan one more significant moneybomb, hopefully landing over $1 million for BJ Lawson.

However, the new moneybomb needs to:
-Be given sufficient lead time to plan and spread the word. At least four weeks. But it can't be too late that the money will be useless at such a late stage.
-It needs to be tied to a very powerful date. Not just a mere holiday or someone's birthday, but to a day that is associated with something revolutionary. A date that is marked by some huge event.
-This sounds juvenile, but it's true: we need awesome, tear-jerking Youtube videos to promote it. Ghoeberx style. eLib3rty style. You know what I'm talking about.
-It needs to be something we can all get behind, and it needs to feel "official," like it is THE moneybomb, not just "a" moneybomb.
-We need to really give it 100% this time, and put forth way more effort than we did for the Lawson Liberty Fund moneybomb (not saying that many people didn't work their asses off for that one, but we have to double down on our efforts even more). We need to utilize Facebook, Meetup lists, Myspace, email contact lists, everything to get the word out.

If any of you have ideas for a new BJ Lawson moneybomb with all these factors in mind, let's get going and developing it here in this thread and make this one BIG.

That was an awfully long post for such a simple question.
The simple answer is...because people had hope.

ronpaulhawaii
08-02-2008, 12:35 AM
My personal feeling is that the E-asy money days are over. That is why many of us are trying to transition to traditional fundraising methods, like the Liberty Straw Poll. We can still integrate the internet but have to get into the basics. I am working on an experiment in this regard that can help us for Nov. If anyone wants to help, please PM

steph3n
08-02-2008, 08:27 AM
personally, I can't afford to give anything right now with the cost of all goods having gone up my disposable income is about ZERO now.

ItsTime
08-02-2008, 08:57 AM
what is BJ polling? We need to find a candidate that has a real chance of winning. The money bombs are becoming duds (I believe) because people do not want to throw money at someone who has no chance of winning. If we find a REAL winner you will see the wallets open back up.

No one has heard of BJ for good reason. What does it matter if 10,000 people in Alaska know about BJ they cant vote for him...

That leads me to another question. How much of the money that he has raised has come from people in HIS district?

Verad
08-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Cross-posting so that my idea is on both pertinent topics:

May I humbly suggest a goal of 100,000 people donating $10 or more each, or a goal--possibly concurrent--of 10,000 people donating $100 or more? Either goal adds up to $100, but the first one would make the money bomb seem so much more within people's reaches, especially during the slowdown in the economy.

dr. hfn
09-16-2008, 02:48 PM
I agree completely with the analysis of why those money bombs were so succesful! I know that one o the main reasons I donated was because of the emotionally moving and excellently produced youtube videos!!

Go Youtube!!

tonesforjonesbones
09-16-2008, 03:28 PM
New ideas are generally well received. You can't do it too often though ...it doesn't work. After the first two so many people started jumping on the bandwagon...eh...they just aren't exciting anymore. I agree with the "hope" thing. After the primaries and Ron Paul did nt' get anywhere...no more excitement. tones

DRV45N05
09-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Or, you can follow Adam Kokesh's advice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MAsEptIKSo

rancher89
09-16-2008, 09:02 PM
I know, I feel it too, the crunch is on.

It just makes it that much more important to donate $1 or $5.

Liberty, of course, has it's price in blood, if we do not suppport it when it is in trouble.

RickyJ
09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
Does Lawson even have a chance of winning?

Josh_LA
09-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh, that's easy

1. Because genius Trevor Lyman wanted it to be
2. Because a lot of naive people thought money is all it takes